HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Manitoba AAA Midget Hockey League

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2008, 11:24 PM
  #1
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Manitoba AAA Midget Hockey League

Congrats to the Winnipeg Thrashers on a perfect regular season and playoffs.
40-0-0 and 9-0-0.
wow.
it may be a weaker league this year than past couple years but thats still an impressive accomplishment.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
  #2
the_speedster
Registered User
 
the_speedster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 500
y'know if ryan"full" house were there he'd totally whip their a***!

(what?? you thought I could help it?)


Last edited by the_speedster: 03-25-2008 at 01:41 AM.
the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 02:13 AM
  #3
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Congrats to the Winnipeg Thrashers on a perfect regular season and playoffs.
40-0-0 and 9-0-0.
wow.
it may be a weaker league this year than past couple years but thats still an impressive accomplishment.
What an insane season to go undefeated even in overtime.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 03:46 AM
  #4
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
What an insane season to go undefeated even in overtime.
the finals against Pembina Valley Hawks
7-2
4-0
3-2 <-- talk about close call haha they were down 2-1 at one point in that game.

talk about intense game there.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 07:50 AM
  #5
BruinsBtn
Registered User
 
BruinsBtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,131
vCash: 500
Congrats. For a bunch of 16-year-olds to show up every single game of the season is impressive. I bet a lot of those players are in the WHL next year.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
  #6
Schenn Him
Registered User
 
Schenn Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
That is impressive. Anyone know if they were an 'old' midget team, or if they had lots of prospects that will be moving up? Just for curiosity, AAA Midget teams are so varied throughout the country.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
  #7
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Him View Post
That is impressive. Anyone know if they were an 'old' midget team, or if they had lots of prospects that will be moving up? Just for curiosity, AAA Midget teams are so varied throughout the country.
As has been the case three of the past four seasons, a strong showing in the previous year's playoffs has resulted in almost every Winnipeg Thrashers player moving on to the junior ranks. With five players have moving onto the WHL, and another 11 moving up to Junior 'A' hockey, this season's Thrasher roster features just two returning players: captain Mathew Bodie and assistant captain Kyle Mulder.


Up front on forward, the Thrashers are looking to veteran Kyle Mulder, and newcomers David Conrad, Jesse Hall, Michael Hay, Robby Lazo and Mark Stone to lead the way in offensive production. 17 year olds, Dan Hrabowych, Cole Pruden and Trent Thompson are expected to provide some size and physical play in the offensive zone, while first year Midget players Matthew Garvey, Matt Glowa and Kyle Lee will be looked to for strong two way play.


The Thrashers' blue line will be one of the strongest in the team's five year history. Anchored by second year player Mathew Bodie, the defensive corps will feature, size, grit and strong puck movement. City Midget Hawks graduates Corbin Baldwin and Jesse Pearson, will be pairing up with City Midget Sharks graduates Alex Kampen and Jeff Weselake. The six man crew is well rounded out by first year player Nolan Zajac who brings some great puck handling composure to the group.


In goal, the team is looking to last year's City Midget AAA goaltender of the year Brett Martyniuk, and the equally strong Joey Rewucki to provide the Thrashers with arguably its best two man tandem in the team's five years in the league.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
  #8
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
The team goals for and against for the year were just about as insane as the undefeated season if i remember correctly. I dont recall the numbers but it was staggering.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 01:21 PM
  #9
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
Great season by the Thrashers, but this highlights the ridiculousness of having the entire city of Winnipeg (70% of the province's population) fielding two teams. It's completely unfair to the rest of the league. The Wild and Thrashers kill everyone year after year. They need to go back to four teams within city limits.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
  #10
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
GF 268
GA 43

they used to have 4 teams but they were awful, the only reason they went down to 2 teasm was because winnipeg is selfish and wants to win every season so they basically make 2 all star teams every year and theyre always top 5 in the league. and they do pick their players within city limits.
Pembina Valley and Brandon are usually the only two teams consistantly competes with them year after year.

winnipeg teams are usually known for choking in the playoffs cause they get cocky this is a good season for them not to choke so far.
last season brandon wheatkings totally dominated winnipeg in terms of skill level. brandon took a huge blow with only having i think like 5-7 returning players.

there actually has been rumor past couple years that winnipeg wants to narrow it down to 1 team, that wouldnt be fair AT all. thats like a team to compete for the telus cup every year.


Last edited by deanosaur: 03-25-2008 at 01:44 PM.
deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
  #11
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,930
vCash: 500
Roseau>>>Winnipeg Thrashers

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
  #12
4 wheels hockeylover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
if they cut it down to 1 team, you can say goodbye to any close games with winnipeg teams all year. why the heck would the want 1 team anyway? where would the cuts play? i'm from a rural area, and watched this league all year. It must be very hard for scouts to elvaluate a team like the thrashers and wild because 3/4 of the team dominate there oppents night in and night out. Also, its hard for the other teams top players to play well against winnipeg teams. how to you show your best to scouts when you are getting blown out?

here is an idea i've heard. why don't the winnipeg teams play ontario, sask, and thuderbay teams. they could also play in some US Tourney's, which they do already. The rural teams could play each other in there own league. this would make it ultra competive and kids could really build ther skills. this way scouts could see the so clalled weaker teams play against equal talent.

4 wheels hockeylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
  #13
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 wheels hockeylover View Post
if they cut it down to 1 team, you can say goodbye to any close games with winnipeg teams all year. why the heck would the want 1 team anyway? where would the cuts play? i'm from a rural area, and watched this league all year. It must be very hard for scouts to elvaluate a team like the thrashers and wild because 3/4 of the team dominate there oppents night in and night out. Also, its hard for the other teams top players to play well against winnipeg teams. how to you show your best to scouts when you are getting blown out?

here is an idea i've heard. why don't the winnipeg teams play ontario, sask, and thuderbay teams. they could also play in some US Tourney's, which they do already. The rural teams could play each other in there own league. this would make it ultra competive and kids could really build ther skills. this way scouts could see the so clalled weaker teams play against equal talent.
cut it down to one team because winnipeg never seems to go all the way to the telus cup so theres been talk to make one superstar team that would basically dominate every team. they do play tbay in preseason but its because tbay plays in their own league in ontario, and about playing us tournies they only play in like one or two i think which is still not bad. and as for sask, well thats a minum 6 hour drive for wpg just to play in regina so i think thats out of the questoin.
your forgetting brandon here, with the exception of this year brandon always had the better team the past 5 years compared to winnipeg.

and the cuts would either play in the Midget City AAA League (which is 4 wpg teams + interlake + brandon AA team + tbay + eastman) its basically already where the cuts already go, and even then theres guys playing in that league that would easily play in the Manitoba AAA League

Winnipeg is all about hockey, they live breathe and **** hockey haha for whatever reason they never seem to show up in the playoffs they get cocky cause they think theyre winnipeg they should always win no matter what. this year was a big suprise for them to not choke and ruin the perfect season. and winnipeg is very selfish and think highly of themsevles, even their highschool league the provincial rankings are full of wpg teams, even tho western manitoba theres about 3-4 teams every year that should be top 10 in the province, buuut its winnipeg are the ones who does the rankings so they put their teams first.


Last edited by deanosaur: 03-25-2008 at 04:26 PM.
deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 09:40 PM
  #14
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,139
vCash: 50
Forming one Winnipeg team is ridiculous and will kill Midget AAA in Manitoba. Rural teams will then be forced to merge just to compete, and you'll be creating situations where some kids will have to travel 2 hours just to go to practices. For a league in direct competition with high school hockey, why would you give kids fewer places to play AAA? It makes no sense.

Trying to ice powerhouse teams that will compete for the Telus Cup every year is pointless. The goal should be creating a competitive league in Manitoba, not trying to compete with Alberta and Sask. (who are already at a great advantage by having minimal competition from HS hockey). The sane solution is to ice a third Winnipeg team, and then see if they can add Thunder Bay AAA to the loop (they ran show in City Midget AAA, and would more than hold their own in the provincial league) just to even out the teams. Merging isn't the solution even for the weak regions (currently Parkland and Kenora); these regions have once been strong, and they'll just have to build.

And oh yeah...congrats to the Thrashers on an unbelievable season. They were a treat to watch the couple of times I saw them (even though they were beating up on my team haha). I'll be rooting for them at Telus Cup, for sure.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:16 PM
  #15
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint View Post
Forming one Winnipeg team is ridiculous and will kill Midget AAA in Manitoba. Rural teams will then be forced to merge just to compete, and you'll be creating situations where some kids will have to travel 2 hours just to go to practices. For a league in direct competition with high school hockey, why would you give kids fewer places to play AAA? It makes no sense.

Trying to ice powerhouse teams that will compete for the Telus Cup every year is pointless. The goal should be creating a competitive league in Manitoba, not trying to compete with Alberta and Sask. (who are already at a great advantage by having minimal competition from HS hockey). The sane solution is to ice a third Winnipeg team, and then see if they can add Thunder Bay AAA to the loop (they ran show in City Midget AAA, and would more than hold their own in the provincial league) just to even out the teams. Merging isn't the solution even for the weak regions (currently Parkland and Kenora); these regions have once been strong, and they'll just have to build.

And oh yeah...congrats to the Thrashers on an unbelievable season. They were a treat to watch the couple of times I saw them (even though they were beating up on my team haha). I'll be rooting for them at Telus Cup, for sure.
it was just a rumor the one team thing. i dont think they would actually do it. thunder bay has two teams last i checked that team that dominates the midget city aaa is the minor midget tbay team, the team that the thrashers would play is the major midget tbay team and they play in their own league in ontario, but they play preseason games and its close games still. if the thrashers played the tbay team thats in the midget city league the thrashers would destroy them.
one thing id like to know why manitoba aaa has competition with HS. alot of guys i know easily should of been playing aaa, but i think it came down to icetime on why they chose HS over AAA. if you take out the HS league, aaa competive level would rise. take parkland for example, past few years theyve had 5-7guys who played for dauphin HS team that easily should of been on parkland. parklands always gonna have a bad team and central plains. kenora shouldnt be playing at this level, their team cant compete.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:07 AM
  #16
KrazyTea*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
GF 268
GA 43

they used to have 4 teams but they were awful, the only reason they went down to 2 teasm was because winnipeg is selfish and wants to win every season so they basically make 2 all star teams every year and theyre always top 5 in the league. and they do pick their players within city limits.
Pembina Valley and Brandon are usually the only two teams consistantly competes with them year after year.

winnipeg teams are usually known for choking in the playoffs cause they get cocky this is a good season for them not to choke so far.
last season brandon wheatkings totally dominated winnipeg in terms of skill level. brandon took a huge blow with only having i think like 5-7 returning players.

there actually has been rumor past couple years that winnipeg wants to narrow it down to 1 team, that wouldnt be fair AT all. thats like a team to compete for the telus cup every year.
It's an absolute joke and disgrace to the league to have 2 teams in an area with 700,000 people while the rest of the league draws upon the remaining population. I won't reiterate any of the earlier comments but this accomplishment amounts to in the end

On a side note, an absolute to Lee Reimer of the Eastman Selects in winning the scoring race despite the Winnipeg dominated teams. Does anybody know what's happening with him, as in where he's headed? OCN I guess? Or what the scouting report is?


Last edited by KrazyTea*: 03-26-2008 at 12:16 AM.
KrazyTea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
  #17
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyTea View Post
It's an absolute joke and disgrace to the league to have 2 teams in an area with 700,000 people while the rest of the league draws upon the remaining population. I won't reiterate any of the earlier comments but this accomplishment amounts to in the end

On a side note, an absolute to Lee Reimer of the Eastman Selects in winning the scoring race despite the Winnipeg dominated teams. Does anybody know what's happening with him, as in where he's headed? OCN I guess? Or what the scouting report is?
i suppose.
but brandon only picks from 50,000 and gets a pretty good team usually. previous years they were really good. while the rest of the teams norman, eastman, interlake, pembina valley, south west, parkland, kenora(big joke), central plains. all pick their teams within a region. its a joke to have 2 teams for a city that thrives off hockey but still 49-0-0 so far. thats still pretty good, and given wpgs history of choking the playoffs cause they get all high on themselves is quite impressive if you ask me. they couldhave 3 teams easily. 4 not so much, they used to have 4 but theyre teams always finished bottom 4 in the league haha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 01:32 PM
  #18
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,139
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
one thing id like to know why manitoba aaa has competition with HS. alot of guys i know easily should of been playing aaa, but i think it came down to icetime on why they chose HS over AAA.
Or how about the fact it saves their families roughly 5k a year?

Alot of kids (and their families) in Manitoba have figured it out: you don't need to play AAA to get noticed. Perfect examples of this are Brock Nixon (played for Major Pratt HS in Russell, he's now in his 5th season in the WHL) and Ryan Reaves (played HS at St. John's Ravenscourt in Winnipeg, now in the Blues system). IMO AAA is still the best way to go; it's the highest level of competition, has the best coaching, and you stand the best chance of improving.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 01:34 PM
  #19
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,815
vCash: 500
Making the league have 1 Winnipeg team instead of 2 would make no difference to the league at all. They are already stacked teams every season and the rest of the league is sick of it so trimming it down to 1 team would actually in all likelyhood make the rest of the league happy. Less games wasted playing vs them.

Winnipeg cut down to 2 teams from 4 because they were sick of not making the Telus cup. Same reason they may eventually cut down to 1 team. Looks like they wont have to worry about that this year though.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
  #20
BruinsBtn
Registered User
 
BruinsBtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
i suppose.
but brandon only picks from 50,000 and gets a pretty good team usually. previous years they were really good. while the rest of the teams norman, eastman, interlake, pembina valley, south west, parkland, kenora(big joke), central plains. all pick their teams within a region. its a joke to have 2 teams for a city that thrives off hockey but still 49-0-0 so far. thats still pretty good, and given wpgs history of choking the playoffs cause they get all high on themselves is quite impressive if you ask me. they couldhave 3 teams easily. 4 not so much, they used to have 4 but theyre teams always finished bottom 4 in the league haha
The best two players in league history played in Kenora...

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
  #21
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieRuzica View Post
The best two players in league history played in Kenora...
and who might be these be?
when was the last time kenora had more than 10 wins in a season?
they had 2 wins this season haha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
  #22
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint View Post
Or how about the fact it saves their families roughly 5k a year?

Alot of kids (and their families) in Manitoba have figured it out: you don't need to play AAA to get noticed. Perfect examples of this are Brock Nixon (played for Major Pratt HS in Russell, he's now in his 5th season in the WHL) and Ryan Reaves (played HS at St. John's Ravenscourt in Winnipeg, now in the Blues system). IMO AAA is still the best way to go; it's the highest level of competition, has the best coaching, and you stand the best chance of improving.
the year reaves played HS was because he wasnt the fastest kid, he wouldnt have kept up in aaa.
but you do greatly improve your chances of getting notices by playing aaa. once every 2-3 years someone from HS willl go on to a successful junior career.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
  #23
Kritty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
it was just a rumor the one team thing. i dont think they would actually do it. thunder bay has two teams last i checked that team that dominates the midget city aaa is the minor midget tbay team, the team that the thrashers would play is the major midget tbay team and they play in their own league in ontario, but they play preseason games and its close games still. if the thrashers played the tbay team thats in the midget city league the thrashers would destroy them.
one thing id like to know why manitoba aaa has competition with HS. alot of guys i know easily should of been playing aaa, but i think it came down to icetime on why they chose HS over AAA. if you take out the HS league, aaa competive level would rise. take parkland for example, past few years theyve had 5-7guys who played for dauphin HS team that easily should of been on parkland. parklands always gonna have a bad team and central plains. kenora shouldnt be playing at this level, their team cant compete.
Actually Thunder Bay no longer has the minor midget team, only the major midgets.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:16 PM
  #24
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
Actually Thunder Bay no longer has the minor midget team, only the major midgets.
oh i wasnt 100% if they still had the two teams.
what happened to the minor midget team do you know?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
  #25
BruinsBtn
Registered User
 
BruinsBtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
and who might be these be?
when was the last time kenora had more than 10 wins in a season?
they had 2 wins this season haha
The SIJHL has pulled some players from Kenora in the past few years. There's also the problem of exposure for elite players in NW Ontario. Since they can't be drafted in the WHL, they move to the Toronto area to get scouted.

I don't know how the team has been doing in the past few years but in the 90s, they had lots of good teams.

The players? One of them is Mike Richards, the other one has a Hart Trophy.

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.