HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Vancouver @ Calgary

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP tonight?
Jarome Iginla 9 33.33%
Dion Phaneuf 8 29.63%
Daymond Langkow 0 0%
Alex Tanguay 1 3.70%
Wayne Primeau 3 11.11%
Miikka Kiprusoff 6 22.22%
Other - please specify 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Snoil11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
PGT: Vancouver @ Calgary

All post-game stuff goes here.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
BadNewsBearcat

I voted Primeau... mainly due to his impressive play over the past few games. Really brings a nice presence on that fourth line. It actually has a forecheck now.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Willie Mitchell

You guys have a real ****ing captain, unbelievable game.

Willie Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Mediocre 1st period, but they definitely made up for it in the following 40 minutes.

Iginla could get the MVP tonight on a 2 point game and being a force all over the ice, but I give the MVP nod to Phaneuf today, on that beauty of a shot resulting in the GWG, who also had a really good game.

Good to be back in the Division lead.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
CBanana

Positives:
John Garrett jinxing the Canucks.

The last two periods.

Power play in the third.

Negatives:
The most god awful first period this season.

Our PK in the first period.

The Oilers benefiting from our win.

This is one ugly win. If the Canucks had slightly more finish this would have been a blow out after the first period. I'm not sure why the Canucks took their foot off the gas after that period but 2 points is 2 points so I don't think I'll complain.

Expect to hear the cliché "Full 60 minute effort" by both teams after this game.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Noori

vCash: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post

Good to be back in the Division lead.
Now let's stay there. The last thing i want is for Minn. to take the lead and we come up just short and face... *gulp* ANAHEIM!

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Dions shoulder

Character win.

Iggy is a ****ing God. He could have easily had another hat trick, that shot that was one inch wide had me in tears... that could have been fifty!!1

Regardless, he rallied the troops after they had a horrible first period, got things going, and pushed us back to the top of the most competitive division in hockey. Phaneuf shot was wicked as hell.

You cant give the first star of this game to anyone but Iggy, and whoever selected the three stars agrees with me. He once again lifted the spirit of the club when it was down, they were playing horrible in the first. 21-7 shots in the first? Brutal.

#1!!!!

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:51 PM
CBanana

Oh by the way, while Canucks fans can blame Garrett for the loss, I'm putting it on record that I blame Dowbiggen for yesterday's loss. His damn article yesterday stated that the Flames should look forward to facing the Avalanche in a playoff series because of Theodore!

Old
03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
0ilerman
The King

Iginla must have a soft spot for his home town

oiler fans appreciate his efforts tonight!

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Cyrus

I voted Kipper for MVP, his saves on Pyatt a minute into the third was huge. Great playing by Iggy and Phaneuf as well.

Loving the Lombo-Primeau line, no matter what you always take notice when they're on the ice, and in the first they were the only line who did anything at all.

Unbelievably huge win tonight, let's hope we can carry it over 3 days of rest and take it to Edmonton on Sat.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Dions shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
I voted Kipper for MVP, his saves on Pyatt a minute into the third was huge. Great playing by Iggy and Phaneuf as well.

Loving the Lombo-Primeau line, no matter what you always take notice when they're on the ice, and in the first they were the only line who did anything at all.

Unbelievably huge win tonight, let's hope we can carry it over 3 days of rest and take it to Edmonton on Sat.
Lombo and Primeau had a big game, its nice to see that line start to be reliable, that is very important heading into the playoffs.

The checking/energy line is what we have been missing the past couple seasons, they are more important than most people realize come playoff time.

Old
03-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Spawn

Thanks for no OT. I was getting alittle nervous when you guys tied it up with like 8 minutes to go, but luckily you took the lead right away.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
The Smytty Clapper

you guys are a day late with the comeback!!!

The Smytty Clapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Body Checker

Can you feel it??? The playoffs are on the way for the Flames and they are starting to round into shape. Still some boneheaded plays but they are cutting down on the defensive lapses.

This game and the Minnesota game have renewed my faith in the Flames being a possible contender. Tonight was the first time in a long time I have gone physically and emotionally crazy during a game.

And seeing Nilson back on LW playing a strong board/corner game brings back '04 memories.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:51 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hits tonight, as per the Fan 960:

Stephane Yelle: 8

Vancouver Canucks: 7

Old
03-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Dions shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Hits tonight, as per the Fan 960:

Stephane Yelle: 8

Vancouver Canucks: 7

I heard that and had the same reaction

Old
03-26-2008, 02:08 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Wow...apparently the Canucks don't get that sitting back on a one (at first two) goal lead gets you no where. No one learned from the 4th line going out there and wasting 60-80 seconds of time with a great shift in the Flames zone.

Cudos to the Flames for taking full advantage and staying in the game, you guys deserved to win this one.

IF the Canucks can take the last two games on their trip (unlikely) it should make for an awesome game on Sunday.

Assuming the Canucks will win the GIH they have on you guys and Minny, that means: Calgary leads, Minny one back, Vancouver two back!

What a finish this will be, with Colorado and Edmonton right on our tails!

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 02:20 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie For Captain View Post
Wow...apparently the Canucks don't get that sitting back on a one (at first two) goal lead gets you no where. No one learned from the 4th line going out there and wasting 60-80 seconds of time with a great shift in the Flames zone.

Cudos to the Flames for taking full advantage and staying in the game, you guys deserved to win this one.

IF the Canucks can take the last two games on their trip (unlikely) it should make for an awesome game on Sunday.

Assuming the Canucks will win the GIH they have on you guys and Minny, that means: Calgary leads, Minny one back, Vancouver two back!

What a finish this will be, with Colorado and Edmonton right on our tails!

Thanks, and yeah this should all make for quite the interesting finish, with enough headaches to go all around. lol. So far no 3 point games in this Divisional stretch though, so that's good news for everyone.

By the way, I don't know if I've ever asked a Canucks fan this on here yet, but what do you think of Byron Ritchie?

Old
03-26-2008, 02:44 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Thanks Burrows! Anybody else as happy as I was to see him sitting in the box for the tying and game winning goal. Loved it. What a boneheaded play by that loser.

Anyways besides the first period we pretty much dominated the canucks. Our best players stepped up and got us this win. Iggy, Phaneuf, Tanguay were great in the third and Kipper made some great stops when it was 2-1. What a shot by Phaneuf! He is just unreal right now and playing so well. Couldn't be happier that he'll be a flame for a long time. He must have been on the ice for a good 3-4 minutes. Just unreal.

Have to give props as well to the third line of Primeau-Lombardi-Yelle. So nice to have a steady reliable third line. Nilson as well looks great these last two weeks. I really like the direction this team is going right now. Hopefully we can keep it up.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 03:32 AM
KiwiFlamesFan

1st place feels good

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Last night's game was the best example, why the Flames are the most ambivalent team in the NHL and costs their fans so many nerves.
The first period was among the worst twenty minutes by the Flames I've seen so far this season, just to burst out in the second period and wholly dominate the affair. The last fourty minutes have been among the most thrilling and most entertaining of the whole season and the Flames deserved to get the win due to their desperate effort in the second and third period.
It was one of those classical grinding games, the Flames were known for before the lock-out and thus said, I think that retrospective benching Huselius was a good decision by Keenan. While Vancouver wasn't overly physical with its seven hits overall, Huselius would not have fit the Flames style last night and would not have been much of a help in all those battles for the puck.
Speaking of Keenan, I have to mention his maybe game-deciding decision in the third period, when he called the time-out and thus set up the first clicking powerplay of the game, which led to those crucial penalties against Pyatt and Burrows we capitalized on. I was tempted to give him (Keenan) my MVP-vote, but in the end, I voted for Primeau, whose line brought so much energy and played the spunky game we all want to see for the whole 60 minutes.
Honorable mentions go to Iginla, Phaneuf and Kiprusoff. Although he let in those goose egg from Sedin, his saves in the first period and his great stops against Pyatt at the beginning of the third period actually gave us a chance to start a come-back.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
CBanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
It was one of those classical grinding games, the Flames were known for before the lock-out and thus said, I think that retrospective benching Huselius was a good decision by Keenan. While Vancouver wasn't overly physical with its seven hits overall, Huselius would not have fit the Flames style last night and would not have been much of a help in all those battles for the puck
If he doesn't draw against Edmonton who's the softest team in the Northwest division, it's pretty clear that Keenan has no intention of using Huselius for the rest of the season.

I'm sure Keenan had some foresight about this and with his intentions, Sutter should have traded him at the deadline for something or anything. Not using him effectively and not getting anything for him is the worst possible option.

Old
03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
gotyourtowel

Nice win last night ladies and gentlemen. Just what we up here in Oil Country were hoping for! We will try to do our part to keep you guys in 1st in the NW tonight!

gotyourtowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Eriksson sucked tonight. I'm sure Hale will replace him in the lineup. I always rag on Primeau and I still think he's a waste of size but I have to give him his props lately. He's been playing well and has chemistry with Lombardi and Yelle. It's an energy line the team needs.

Iggy and Dion were phenominal. I'm sure Iggy will pot his 50th at home against Edmonton saturday. Kipper was good minus that one gaffe.

The putrid first period only led to a contrasting second period. I haven't seen the Flames collectively bust their ***** like they did in that 2nd period. It was impressive. Why can't they work like that more often?

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
CBanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotyourtowel View Post
Nice win last night ladies and gentlemen. Just what we up here in Oil Country were hoping for! We will try to do our part to keep you guys in 1st in the NW tonight!
I don't know if that actually helps us. If the Wild win, it means we're more likely to face them in the first round and the majority of Flames fans believe that's a favourable match up.