HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who sits on defense?

Old
03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
What do you think of maybe calling hutchinson up for the last few games if we have clinched a playoff spot by then.
Chances that someone picks him up on re-entry wavers are pretty low since he wouldn't be allowed to play in the playoffs and is an ufa next season.
The way he is lighting up the ahl as a defenseman makes me wonder if he could help our awful powerplay.
If we win the next 2 games - clinching a spot - I could see this defense for the next 3 games to rest up for PO action

Malik - Backman
Mara - Girardi
Hutch - Strudwick

Resting: Rozy, Staal, Tyutin
Crazy
But not impossible

Doesn't anyone here miss the not-too-recently-distant days of Rachunek, Ozo, Kaspar & Aaron Ward?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:23 AM
shon

OK we have developed Staal this season but right now we need to make the playoffs. Let's win a few games with Rosie Malik, Toots and Girardi, Mara and Backman. Then rotate Staal back in .Staal has played OK .

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Ola

I am not cool about sitting Staal. On the countryary, I think there is a few guys who really gotta step up if we are gooing anywhere this season and play above and beyond of what they have shown lately. And I don't think thoose guys are Shanny and Jagr -- because while JJ still can take advantage of a D's and score extremely important goals, he isn't capable of getting away from the attention he gets right now. Shanny can step up and go to war more, but its only marginal.

But Marc Staal is a D who probably must take another step for us in the PO's. He's the only one who got potential to be the creaseclearing D that we miss. He already got the most complete defensive package, but he most become more consistant. So far he have spent allot of time on developing the aspects that he needs to develop to take that 3rd 4th step to become a franchise D. While maybe laying off on some of his "strengths".

In my world its kind of like, either Staal steps up and plays better or we won't have much chance.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:10 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
Malik is light years ahead of Strudwick IMO, not to mention Orr and Hollweg.
Ya got me, forth worst. Struds doesn't play every game, and the other two don't have nearly as important shoes to fill. Let's see how many times Malik is out of position tonight, and we'll meet back here, that's if he's not being sat of course. It still baffles me how anyone can support the guy who was most likely to be traded at the deadline.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
id like for malik and strudwick to sit out. i am not gonna say malik is the worst player the rangers have ever had but he has been up and down this season. paul mara is the player i believe is most likely to be sat for malik judging how renney scratched mara in favour of strudwick early in the season. my reasoning for keeping in mara is the team speed factor. the rangers arent one of the fastest teams in the league so anything that improves overall team speed i am all for.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
NYROrtsFan

Now I'm annoyed at Renney. WHY THE HELL would you sit Malik. The team played their best with the guy in there, and he's LEADING the team in plus-minus. LIke it or not, it isn't all because of coincidence.

The team will ABSOLUTELY play a bit worse, and likely struggle more to get out of the back end because there is an element of passing and intelligence that is being lost. I thought Renney finally understood what Malik brought. And getting Mara in there for the powerplay is stupid beyond stupid. The powerplay is important, but it WILL NEVER be more important than 5 on 5 hockey. And the penalty kill. Both of which Malik excels at.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote