HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Pickups since Last Year, how have they been doing?

Old
03-26-2008, 02:32 AM
tsumetai

vCash: 500
New Pickups since Last Year, how have they been doing?

Since the season is almost over, please discuss how the new pickups have panned out? Was it worth it?

I am talking specifically about:

1) CuJo
2) Vandemeer
3) Sarich
4) Eriksson
5) Hale
6) Aucoin
7) Nolan
8) Smith

Personally, I think none of the players we acquired were complete disasters, so all in all, it was quite good.

tsumetai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 07:55 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

None were complete disasters, in Eriksson's case you'll have a few people who disagree but even then using royal screw ups as a measurement doesn't do this justice.

The team's top pickup was obviously Nolan, the guy has been a clutch player all season and has performed higher than expected from fans and coaches. A big shining point in his favor is that he doesn't seem to be impacted by the team's ups and downs like many of our supposed top defensemen and forwards. He doesn't go down when the team's rollercoaster starts to drop.

Aucoin I have mixed feelings about, so far he's looked like the poster boy for the team's current state of defense. Some games he works hard, plays brilliantly and is easy to trust, other games you don't want him protecting the side of the ice the puck is on even if his teammates are carrying it. As a plus he doesn't flip the puck over the glass. Overall a good pickup and was definately needed by the team, I think he's replaceable now with Vandemeer in the line up. Many of the same things could be said about Sarich.

I'd rate the aquisitions, when including CuJo and Vandemeer, as average. Sarich, based on his play so far, has been overpayed for his services, Aucoin and Vandemeer are far better than what we were told to expect, while nice it's not like it wasn't hard to surpass the expectations passed on from Flyers/Blackhawks fans. Eriksson, I regret defending this acquisition, I'm sorry and will proceed to sit in the corner with a dunce cap on now. Smith has been okay but has become just an injury replacement now. Nolan's been solid.

I'd say they were better overall if the price tags on Aucoin/Sarich weren't as hefty or if they played up to each respective one. Cap space is an issue on this team next season and it'll be hard to replace Langkow/Huselius if they both leave. At least if they both played up to their price tag then there wouldn't be as much of an issue if Langkow and Huselius left because we'd have a damn fine defense to compensate.

Last edited by ArizonaGreenTea: 03-26-2008 at 08:13 AM.
ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I agree. Nolan's been excellent, Sarich has been ok but overpriced. Aucoin has been good but not entirely worth the money. Smith is ok but is a replaceable part. Cujo I am ambivalent about. I like him but don't want a backup making that much money next year. Vandy has been quite good and I'm sure he'll be back at a reasonable price. Eriksson is ok but he gets exposed because he sees big minutes with Dion. I'd rather have Hale.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Abonics

IMO, for the most part the acquisitions have complemented the core of the team nicely.

1) CuJo - Has been decent, but with our goaltending depth in the minors it should be getting close to the time where someone steps up and backs-up Kipper fulltime
2) Vandermeer - I really like what he offers. Has played solidly defensively and Dion doesnt have to scrap the other team's plugs all the time.
3) Sarich - I have been a bit disapointed with Sarich, he is slower than I thought...still not a bad pick-up, just too expensive
4) Eriksson - Agree w/ Cactus Jack on this one...he's okay...but too much ice = too many bonehead plays
5) Hale - Prefer him over Eriksson...takes some DUMB penalties though
6) Aucoin - I like Aucoin, he's overpriced but he is a solid 2nd pairing guy
7) Nolan - definately the best of the crop, contibutes in one way or another every night
8) Smith - my least favorite flame by a mile...slow, no skill and loses most of his fights....would trade him for a skate lace. Nonetheless, expectations for a 4th liner are low enough that he can't really be called a disaster.

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
cross16

1) Cujo has pretty much come as advertised. No problems there.
2) Vandermeer - see Cujo. Not suprise for me he brought his steady tough game I knew he had. The extra toughness was a big boost
3) Sarich -I think Sarich has been good. I think Sarich's main problem is that expectations were set too high IMO and yeah he is overpaid slightly. I figured he woudl get 3 mill tops so hes slightly over paid but given the market isn't bad. Hes been solid and given Regher a great partner.
4) little disapointed in him becuase I though he would be a more solid. Part of that has to do with his minutes and role, but overal a litlte dissapointing but not that bad. Not nearly as bad as people suggest.
5)Hale - one of the most improve Flames IMO. Although its been a tough stretch for him lately
6) Aucoin - been great. A little overpriced sure but again when you look at the market not that bad. He was a great pickup though.
7)Nolan - The best pickup, although i don't think aucoin is that far behind. Toughness is the biggest thing IMO.
8) I think hes been fine for his role. Only picked up to provide energy and he does that.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

1) CuJo - After his first start (which even he can't be completely blamed for) he's been steady and solid. Nothing but love here.

2) Vandermeer - I was worried when I first caught wind of this due to his problems with the Flyers. Thank god he left those in the States, because he's been a solid defender and a great bit o extra grit and punch. Just what the doctor ordered.

3) Sarich - Much as others have said, he does his job and well at that, but he should be doing it for about a million less.

4) Eriksson - Sigh. I wanna like him, but then he does the same thing he always does and I don't like him.

5) Hale - Who? No I jest, but he's really been a non factor IMO.

6) Aucoin - I think he's been steadily getting better and better and I am VERY pleased he's in the Flaming C

7) Nolan - Silverback is sheer awesome. The man will check, shoot, make a nifty play, jump into the corners. He's perfect. Loves me some Silverback you betchya

8) Smith - Well, he's there. My nephew could do his job and he's only 15.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 07:51 PM
mucca

1) CuJo - yep, for the $$$ i'll keep him
2) Vandemeer - heard he can bench press 460lbs....nuff said
3) Sarich - too much $$$ but i like him, when he's on, he's on
4) Eriksson - no Fing way. this guy needs to go. how many times will he give up the puck at the blue line and take a penality trying to recover.
5) Hale - yep, for the $$$ i'll keep him
6) Aucoin - too much $$$, not sure how long he will be with us
7) Nolan - YES, love what he brings to the team, hope he is back next year.
8) Smith - so so, not bad but not good

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote