HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

GDT: Columbus vs. Chicago 3/26 7:00

Old
03-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
That was a hollow win. We won sure, but we didn't have Konopka. So its like we didn't win at all.
That's a beaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater90 View Post

The Lithium Express continues.
As is that.

Old
03-27-2008, 09:10 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisalou View Post
I too just returned from the game- didn't see it as hollow at all- in fact everyone around me was very into the game and didn't seem "exhausted" at all.
Perhaps it's a fine point, but it was hardly the most enthusiastic crowd of the season. I can count two fingers the number of "total arena Let's Go Jackets cheers" last night. The place was quiet compared to other games. And it wasn't the size of the crowd. The snowstorm game had fewer people but was LOUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestonn99 View Post
IMO, if I were a scout, this would be a glaring downside to Freddy's game. There isn't a game I have watched where Freddy hasn't looked downright lazy in the paint, he gets down, and takes his precious time gettin back up and into position. Quite honestly I am supprised at the stats he has when I watch him. But I am glad he gets the breaks he does.
I have to confess, I DO like goalies handling the puck. But he's been taking more chances this year and isn't very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Freddy is still under contract for next season so he will be back. The Jackets aren't going to find a guy at his salary that will be able to put up the same numbers.
Huh?
What about Dan LaCosta or Steve Mason?
Coach has made some disparaging public remarks about Freddy this year. Really unprecedented for a coach to do that to a goalie, don't you think?

And what (good) numbers are you referring to?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
MFRONE

Mason won't sniff the Jackets next season (barring major injury to Pazzy). He'll be Syracuse for the entire season.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:45 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Mason won't sniff the Jackets next season (barring major injury to Pazzy). He'll be Syracuse for the entire season.

LaCosta? Popperle?
Last night not withstanding, I have concluded that the Jackets and Coach have a confidence problem with Freddy. Yet I think Freddy may have some trade value left, especially after the Boucher and Conklin resurrections on other teams.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
jktsfan*

I know this isn't really on topic but at the game, they played a video montage using "I wanna be a rock star". There was a lot of cool jackets highlights in it - do any of you know if there is ever any way to get copies of that stuff or somewhere to see it on the web?

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
CBJwheel

Norrena shuts out, yet two goaltenders get stars of the night, neither one getting the holy 1.000 SV.

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
LaCosta? Popperle?
Last night not withstanding, I have concluded that the Jackets and Coach have a confidence problem with Freddy. Yet I think Freddy may have some trade value left, especially after the Boucher and Conklin resurrections on other teams.
The options for Norrena as far as I know (based on his contract with the Jackets for one more year) are: play as backup, get bought out, play in Syracuse making NHL money, or quit and go home.

I'd keep him as backup providing Leclaire can stay healthy and play at least 60 games, ideally 70 games. If Norrena looses to many important games or is forced to play on a pace greater than 30% of the time and does poorly the Jackets could make moves to replace him at at any time.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
EDM

The d-man who needs to go back to the 'Cuse and spend some time there, like maybe a couple of years, is RUSSELL, not Rome. I would gladly have rome here next year on the third pairing rather than Russell who is just a talented but small and inexperienced kid. Eve if we spend some significant money to upgrade and first, and maybe, second defensive pairing, we will still need a third pairing. From what I have seen of Rome, i would like him to be there. Wilson? 2 games is not enough to make any kind of reasonable judgment.

Russell has been extremely marginal and that is not unexpected considering his inexperience. Let him go to the Cuse for a couple of years and use a guy who has played those extra AHL years like Rome, on the third pairing.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjwheel View Post
Norrena shuts out, yet two goaltenders get stars of the night, neither one getting the holy 1.000 SV.
Norena only faced 17 shots though. The other goaies made twice the number of saves as Freddie No.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
The d-man who needs to go back to the 'Cuse and spend some time there, like maybe a couple of years, is RUSSELL, not Rome. I would gladly have rome here next year on the third pairing rather than Russell who is just a talented but small and inexperienced kid. Eve if we spend some significant money to upgrade and first, and maybe, second defensive pairing, we will still need a third pairing. From what I have seen of Rome, i would like him to be there. Wilson? 2 games is not enough to make any kind of reasonable judgment.

Russell has been extremely marginal and that is not unexpected considering his inexperience. Let him go to the Cuse for a couple of years and use a guy who has played those extra AHL years like Rome, on the third pairing.
Wow i dont think your gonna get alot of agreements from anyone around here. I mean i think some people are ready to pencil the little guy in as a top 4 d-man, almost everyones line projections for next year atleast have him in the top 6 ahead of guys who can actualy play defense. And i know he is a rookie but he has about 60 less games then OKT and noone is pulling the rookie young crap with okt people were bashing okt 60 games ago

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
elisalou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Perhaps it's a fine point, but it was hardly the most enthusiastic crowd of the season. I can count two fingers the number of "total arena Let's Go Jackets cheers" last night. The place was quiet compared to other games. And it wasn't the size of the crowd. The snowstorm game had fewer people but was LOUD
I agree about the snowstorm game- that was a good crowd.

Maybe last night was just my section, hell maybe it was just me.

elisalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 06:50 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I'd keep OKT on our blueline (as a 5-6) only because this club is in dire need of toughness. Pair him with someone capable of covering his mistakes though.

Speaking of toughness (of lack of it), Rusty Klesla would be the guy I'd dangle out there as trade bait. He could help fetch us the other help we need without creating too big of a new hole to fill.

Clay Wilson could be an important piece to our defense, but he'd have show more that just two games. I'm certainly rooting for him.

Rome, on the other hand, has been solid. If he finishes the year strong, I would like to see him back in Union Blue next season.

Hejda is a must re-sign. Tarnstrom is probably looking for change of address cards at the start of next season.

And of course, as we've debated at length, we need to add the puck moving defenseman on the first line. I'd also like to add a veteran presence.

After all of this, if Russell still fits, play him in Columbus. If not, send him to the Cuse.
For me, Kris is on the bubble.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
CBJwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Norena only faced 17 shots though. The other goaies made twice the number of saves as Freddie No.
I understand, but I think that should be irrelevant, unless the goaltender didn't fave any shots. I think a shutout is more impressive than a goaltender allowing a goal, even if they face 40 shots.

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'd keep OKT on our blueline (as a 5-6) only because this club is in dire need of toughness. Pair him with someone capable of covering his mistakes though.

Speaking of toughness (of lack of it), Rusty Klesla would be the guy I'd dangle out there as trade bait. He could help fetch us the other help we need without creating too big of a new hole to fill.

Clay Wilson could be an important piece to our defense, but he'd have show more that just two games. I'm certainly rooting for him.

Rome, on the other hand, has been solid. If he finishes the year strong, I would like to see him back in Union Blue next season.

Hejda is a must re-sign. Tarnstrom is probably looking for change of address cards at the start of next season.

And of course, as we've debated at length, we need to add the puck moving defenseman on the first line. I'd also like to add a veteran presence.

After all of this, if Russell still fits, play him in Columbus. If not, send him to the Cuse.
For me, Kris is on the bubble.
We don't need more "tough"crap ... we need the guys we have to be tough. Bring in skill and will - tough will handle itself.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:33 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
We don't need more "tough"crap ... we need the guys we have to be tough. Bring in skill and will - tough will handle itself.
That's a nice theory. Let's see if we both feel the same way after the Nashville game Friday night.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley#45 View Post
Wow i dont think your gonna get alot of agreements from anyone around here. I mean i think some people are ready to pencil the little guy in as a top 4 d-man, almost everyones line projections for next year atleast have him in the top 6 ahead of guys who can actualy play defense. And i know he is a rookie but he has about 60 less games then OKT and noone is pulling the rookie young crap with okt people were bashing okt 60 games ago
I'm good with Russell in Syracuse next season. I think Hitch was desperate for someone who could play with the puck on his stick, but the kid has looked alternately lost, small and occassioanlly OK-pretty good. Lots of options next year, especially if Hainsey is your #2 puck-moving d-man instead of #1.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 07:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I'm good with Russell in Syracuse next season. I think Hitch was desperate for someone who could play with the puck on his stick, but the kid has looked alternately lost, small and occassioanlly OK-pretty good. Lots of options next year, especially if Hainsey is your #2 puck-moving d-man instead of #1.
I guess the issue I have is your use of Hainsey with the term "puck-moving".

I'm ready to turn the page with Hainsey and OKT. Both have helped our lack of transistion considerably with their puck handling "skills". I don't have much of an interest in watching Hainsey fumble the puck around for another year (and racking up the - numbers in March), nor seeing the human pylon, OKT, watch as players fly by him.

Hainsey is a -2 as a 3-4 defensemen with 9 points in 5-on-5 play. Klesla and Hejda have more points (12 and 13), 5 on 5.

To me, Tarnstrom, Rome, and Wilson have just illustrated how bad those 2 are with the puck moving, at least to me.

At least Russell can skate and has some puck handling skills.

Howson keeps throwing out these little "gems". I don't know if Rome and Wilson will ever stick (although Rome looks more and more likely), that is turning out to be a great trade. These guys seems to have been worth the risk.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 08:39 AM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

now THIS is a captain!

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

I'm ready to turn the page with Hainsey and OKT. Both have helped our lack of transistion considerably with their puck handling "skills". I don't have much of an interest in watching Hainsey fumble the puck around for another year (and racking up the - numbers in March), nor seeing the human pylon, OKT, watch as players fly by him.

Hainsey is a -2 as a 3-4 defensemen with 9 points in 5-on-5 play. Klesla and Hejda have more points (12 and 13), 5 on 5.

To me, Tarnstrom, Rome, and Wilson have just illustrated how bad those 2 are with the puck moving, at least to me.

Howson keeps throwing out these little "gems". I don't know if Rome and Wilson will ever stick (although Rome looks more and more likely), that is turning out to be a great trade. These guys seems to have been worth the risk.
I'm with you on Hainsey overall, but I don't think Russ is currently offering any better. It's a long offseason (too long in Jacketland) and maybe Russ comes ready to go next fall, or maybe what Wilson has showed is not a flash in the pan. I'd love for both of those things to be the case. And the emergence of Rome almost makes OKT redundant, esp. with Methot also waiting in the wings. OKT is a decent depth guy, though, and I'd like to see him stick.

My deal with Hainsey is all about the money. If he expects to get paid (and by paid I mean paid) then bye-bye Hollywood. If we can get him to a three-year deal escalating from $2.5-ish, then I'd think about retaining his services.

Rambling and I'm not sure I have a point but to say I'm concerned about both Russell and Hainsey.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I'm with you on Hainsey overall, but I don't think Russ is currently offering any better. It's a long offseason (too long in Jacketland) and maybe Russ comes ready to go next fall, or maybe what Wilson has showed is not a flash in the pan.
I hope the flashes of greatness Russell showed us intermitently during the early season weren't just flukes. I honestly thought he'd be playing alot better hockey now.

IMO, Hainsey > Russell atm.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Shelley#45

Quote:

Yea who cares if he cant play defense, hit anyone, pass to anyone other then his defensive partner, has the worst plus /minus, have to hear rimmer saying " russell ridden off the puck" about 10 times a game, favorite way to play defense is to lay down in front of the goaltender rather then to check anyone, ANYONE, ATLEAST he can skate Nevermind that he has only scored in a SINGLE game, hell EVEN OKT has scored in 2 games, Again very comical people are ready to give up on OKT after 100 games but Russell has clearly displayed skills were all salivating on in the 60 hes been here. 1 assist in every 10 games definetly screams serious puck handiling skills to me after all

Old
03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Yea who cares if he cant play defense, hit anyone, pass to anyone other then his defensive partner, has the worst plus /minus, have to hear rimmer saying " russell ridden off the puck" about 10 times a game, favorite way to play defense is to lay down in front of the goaltender rather then to check anyone, ANYONE, ATLEAST he can skate Nevermind that he has only scored in a SINGLE game, hell EVEN OKT has scored in 2 games, Again very comical people are ready to give up on OKT after 100 games but Russell has clearly displayed skills were all salivating on in the 60 hes been here. 1 assist in every 10 games definetly screams serious puck handiling skills to me after all
So in short, he need to round out his game and physically mature.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 03:51 PM
blahblah

Quote:
If Russell doesn't improve/develop/mature during the offseason and into camp, he will likely end up in the 'Cuse. But he has more base talent level skill to work with then OKT and Hainsey (that's what I meant by my statement), and he's 20. Over his last 10 game strech, he has been a +2 and I think has looked a little more stable out there.

Puck handling ability does not necessarily translate into points.

Where did you think Russell would be at? He was brought along rather quickly. I was hoping he would be dropping in a few more points at this point in the season, but overall he's about where I figured he would be.

Your statements were over-the-top. He can play defense, he can and has checked people, he has played posistional hockey without "laying out" in front of the goalie. He can and has won board battles. Could he do all of that better? Sure. A lot actually. And he very likely will.

I would rather watch him in, next year, in a 5-6 role and on the PP, then another year of Hainsey.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
If Russell doesn't improve/develop/mature during the offseason and into camp, he will likely end up in the 'Cuse. But he has more base talent level skill to work with then OKT and Hainsey (that's what I meant by my statement), and he's 20. Over his last 10 game strech, he has been a +2 and I think has looked a little more stable out there.

Puck handling ability does not necessarily translate into points.

Where did you think Russell would be at? He was brought along rather quickly. I was hoping he would be dropping in a few more points at this point in the season, but overall he's about where I figured he would be.

Your statements were over-the-top. He can play defense, he can and has checked people, he has played posistional hockey without "laying out" in front of the goalie. He can and has won board battles. Could he do all of that better? Sure. A lot actually. And he very likely will.

I would rather watch him in, next year, in a 5-6 role and on the PP, then another year of Hainsey.

Russell sucks