HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Developing Skills

Old
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
neexo

vCash: 500
Developing Skills

Hey guys,
I am hoping that you guys help me to find where I can develop my skating/hockey skills before I suits up for St. Marys University in the fall of 2009. Because, I haven't skated in while. Far I know, theres CanSkate program helps me, but it have some kind of the levels. Is it possible for me to start from scratch? Let me know!
Thanks!

neexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

holy moly.

you expect to jump right into university hockey?

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
K-PAX*

Maybe the university really stinks.

Either way, dream on buddy. This ain't happening

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Shattucks St. Mary's? If so, you stand no chance bud.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Schenn Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Shattucks St. Mary's? If so, you stand no chance bud.
Pretty sure that's just a high school, not a university. St. Mary's University is located in Halifax.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

This St. Marys?

http://www.smu.ca/athletics/hockey-m-welcome.html

If so, I hate to break it to you, but don't waste your time if you aren't an excellent skater with serious game experience and skills. It's just not realistic.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Well this kid has over a year and a half.. it's not IMPOSSIBLE if he's devoted enough.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 06:26 PM
RobertKron

On last year's st. Mary's team, there were only 6 guys of the 22 who played for the team who hadn't played major junior hockey (4 played junior A, 1 played in the NCAA, and 1 didn't play in a league that shows up in hockeydb).

Also, 2 guys on the team had already played in minor pro leagues, and 2 guys on the team were drafted in the NHL entry draft.

It's going to be damn tough to make that team if you have been off skates for a while, even if you have played hockey at a high level. Even more so if you don't have that background.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
MikeD

There is also club level hockey. Would just being on the practice squad or intramurals be so bad? its hockey! You may not make "varsity" but in any case best of luck and a bit of advice. Dont listen to naysayers, losers hold you back with that talk......whos right or whos wrong doesnt matter. Making it or not isnt what you will judge yourself by. Its the amount of effort you put into it.

I wouldnt start from scratch unless your a total begginner. That would be a waste of your time. Dream big and set smaller goals to achieve as you work towards your final goal. Much can be achieved in 2 years with hard work and determination!

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
There is also club level hockey. Would just being on the practice squad or intramurals be so bad? its hockey! You may not make "varsity" but in any case best of luck and a bit of advice. Dont listen to naysayers, losers hold you back with that talk......whos right or whos wrong doesnt matter. Making it or not isnt what you will judge yourself by. Its the amount of effort you put into it.

I wouldnt start from scratch unless your a total begginner. That would be a waste of your time. Dream big and set smaller goals to achieve as you work towards your final goal. Much can be achieved in 2 years with hard work and determination!
There's nothing wrong with intramurals or club hockey, and nobody is saying not to go and work on skating and be as good as possible. But, like, yes it's good to have goals, but it's also good to have realistic goals.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by neexo View Post
Hey guys,
I am hoping that you guys help me to find where I can develop my skating/hockey skills before I suits up for St. Marys University in the fall of 2009. Because, I haven't skated in while. Far I know, theres CanSkate program helps me, but it have some kind of the levels. Is it possible for me to start from scratch? Let me know!
Thanks!

Well, I have read this thread and a lot of people responding are saying...hang it up!

It reminds me of a story back in 1993 when I was Head Coaching for the University of Washington Hockey team. One night I get this call from this guy who wanted to join the team. he calls me out of the blue to tell me that he was going to UW on a full ride scholarship for baseball and that he wanted to "try his hand" at hockey.

Needless to say, I almost fell out of my seat. However, I didn't want to burst the guys bubble, so I invited him out to practice so that he could " try his hand" out and get the s**t kicked out of him by the rest of the guys.

The only problem was, no one could catch the guy, he was that fast. Needless to say, he made the team. The guy was from Red Deer, Alberta and he was fast as lighting.

Maybe this guy posting is a late bloomer...you never know!

Headcoach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
neexo

For your information, I'm a female, not male. Sorry, I should've introduce myself as female.
Although, I have hockey experience; I have played in peewee, bantam, female midget, and female minor leagues. I had to leave the team after the serious injury in my knee and hip [that was in my 2nd or 3rd year in minor] I didn't played ever since nor skated in free time [recreational time] Also, I'm quick learner. Earlier this year, I has chance to play hockey with my high school team. I tried out, and made it. But due to the schedule problems, I had to leave the team to continue my training.

neexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

See, you should of told us this in the first place.

Yeah, I don't see any reason why you can't be back in shape in a year and a half.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
There's nothing wrong with intramurals or club hockey, and nobody is saying not to go and work on skating and be as good as possible. But, like, yes it's good to have goals, but it's also good to have realistic goals.
Realistic is the same as Beauty. Its in the eye of the behold. What may seem unrealistic to you may be very realistic for another. I also believe that goals set should be attainable. This is why I suggested setting smaller goals to achieve as one takes the path to the final goal. Posters were real quick to make assumptions about the OP. Its kills me how fast some are to shoot a person down and seem to actually ENJOY doing so. Its also true that if you listen to naysayers you will go NO WHERE. Losers hold you back, knock you down. Winners will encourage you, help lift you up.

Harv and MW, You guys quantified you doubtful position which was commendable. Some weren't/aren't quite so kind hearted. In all actuality I prob should have just bit my tongue and just kept that out of my post. Sorry for that....I really need to just use the block list rather than snipe.

To answer the OP's question it would prob be a good idea to try and contact Elizabeth or James Quick or any other member of the recreation committe or the BV minor hcokey association. They would prob be able to point you in the right direction for a program suited for you.

Last edited by MikeD: 03-26-2008 at 07:54 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote