HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conroy

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
Conroy

Does anyone else get the feeling that Conroy, not Gauthier, is the primary guy being scouted on the Flames?

It makes sense. Our PK has taken a nose-dive recently (dropping to 23rd, I believe), and Gainey may be looking to shore it up before the playoffs. Juneau is just about done; he looks tired, and he may not be able to deliver what we need in a tough playoff series.

Conroy is definitely a "Gainey player," and he seems to have fallen down the Flames' depth chart this year. There is no doubt in my mind that the two sides have talked about him.

Does anyone else think he'd make a great addition to this team? What would you be willing to part with to get him? IMO, Hainsey is unmoveable unless we're getting second-line talent, which Conroy isn't.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:28 PM
BLONG7

Conroy would be an excellent addition, and we shouldn't have to give alot up to get him. He would be a huge upgrade over JJ.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:35 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS

most definately!! this guy would be awesome addition to the habs!

he could take DAGENAIS spot anyday

Old
02-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Kirk Muller

With Calgary sitting in a playoff spot, and top six forwards being a weakness, I don't see them trading Conroy. If anything, they will trade one of their abundance of defenseman to help out Iginla, Reinprect and Conroy. Also, if Calgary can't get a decent player, they will hold onto Conroy and get the compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere. JMO.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:12 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
Conroy is a free agent just like Perrault I think Calgary knows they can't resign him

Guathier is in the doghouse on a team where they have too many defenceman

Flames coach is familiar with Sundstrom

so a Conroy/Gauthier trade for Perrault/Sundstrom is not a bad idea

Montreal might have to either take some of Perrault's salary or they could throw in a third round pick

this would work for the Habs, it's all about putting it together right for the Flames management without taking anymore from the Habs

Old
02-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheForum
Conroy is a free agent just like Perrault I think Calgary knows they can't resign him

Montreal might have to either take some of Perrault's salary or they could throw in a third round pick

this would work for the Habs, it's all about putting it together right for the Flames management without taking anymore from the Habs
The principals all make sense. Conroy has no future in Calgary, likely. Ditto Perreault in Mtl. Habs need a PK center; Flames need offence and a FO man. What they lose on the PK they get back in Sundstrom, a guy who excelled under Sutter in the past.

It's easy to see how this rumour got started; however, the Flames don't get enough value for the two guys they trade, and a 2nd rounder will not balance the scales. We'll need to throw in a prospect. Hainsey is too good of a prospect, and Hossa might not be good enough. I can't see anyone else being on the table at this time. This rumour isn't likely to go away anywhere soon, but it might not work out.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Quagmier

Quote:

Problem is:

Conroy>>>>>>>>>Perrault
Gauthier>>>>>Sundstrom

at least in terms of trade value

i don't see this deal happening

Old
02-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Kafka

......... Garon would be a nice addition to the Calgary roster.........

Just an idea like that.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:46 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
Problem is:

Conroy>>>>>>>>>Perrault
Gauthier>>>>>Sundstrom

at least in terms of trade value

i don't see this deal happening
would it be worth it for us to throw in Hossa......seems to much on our part

Old
02-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
......... Garon would be a nice addition to the Calgary roster.........

Just an idea like that.
No way. I'm not willing to bank on Damphousse or Michaud as our backup. God forbid Theo should go down, but if he does, I'm confident Garon can step in and play 5-10 games in his place.

Garon is perfect right where he is, IMO. He's as good a backup as you'll get but hasn't yet shown that he simply must be a starter somewhere else.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:57 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
No way. I'm not willing to bank on Damphousse or Michaud as our backup. God forbid Theo should go down, but if he does, I'm confident Garon can step in and play 5-10 games in his place.

Garon is perfect right where he is, IMO. He's as good a backup as you'll get but hasn't yet shown that he simply must be a starter somewhere else.
totally agree, he is too important for us to give away

our goaltending is great

as far as Calgary goes we wanted Gauthier for his meaness and Conroy for a gritty third line centre

Perrault sure......I'd hate to trade Sundstrom cause he is turning it up but it would take those two anyway throw in Juneau if need be

I think if we got Conroy and Gauthier and everyone got back healthy we would have enough to take to the play-offs

Old
02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Perrault sure......I'd hate to trade Sundstrom cause he is turning it up but it would take those two anyway throw in Juneau if need be
If this deal happens, Conroy will center line three and Juneau will alternate between line 4, with Begin on the wing, and the pressbox, the latter of which we'll see more as the season winds down and the playoffs begin.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:24 PM
All-Star

Quote:
would it be worth it for us to throw in Hossa......seems to much on our part
That's way too much! Conroy is a UFA they can't afford to re-sign... If Calgary falls out of contention before the deadline we can probably have him for much less than that. If they are in contention, we won't be able to get him period.

Gauthier is a depth D and that's it. He can hit, but he can't play offence nor defence because he has no hockey sense. Sundstrom is worth way more than Gauthier because he's an excellent defensive hockey player with some offence capabilities. Gauthier wouldn't help our team at all.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:43 PM
NHLcrazy

Why would CGY trade Conroy?!?! I mean the Flames are in the playoffs right now they won't mess with the chemistry (Conroy is an important player) and they won't take an underacheiving soft Perreault....
If there is a trade it will be centered around Gauthier for Sundstrom+something (mid-level prospect or pick)

Old
02-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Harry Kakalovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy
Why would CGY trade Conroy?!?! I mean the Flames are in the playoffs right now they won't mess with the chemistry (Conroy is an important player) and they won't take an underacheiving soft Perreault....
If there is a trade it will be centered around Gauthier for Sundstrom+something (mid-level prospect or pick)
i don't want to trade sundstrom.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Physical HABuse

I have a quick question about all of this trade talk. There was mention of Savard at a few Calgary games. I thought his main role was to evaluate/scout junior talent. Wasn't Gauthier responsible for professional scouting? Shouldn't he be the one evaluating other teams? I'm not sure what his role is exactly if Savard is scouting other NHL teams.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Guy Caballero

I don't think his role is that limited. Timmins is strictly junior scouting, Gauthier is pro, and I think Savard oversees all scouting operations. I could be wrong about that, but that's the way I think the organization operates.

Closed Thread