HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still not out of it!

Old
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Palinka

vCash: 500
Still not out of it!

Five games left....all it would take would be all of the following things happening.

1) Going 5-0-0 (vs Nashville, at Chicago, at Detroit, at St Louis, vs St Louis)
2) Colorado picking up no more than 2 points the rest of the way (Vancouver tonight, vs Edmonton, at Minnesota, at Vancouver, vs Minnesota)
3) Nashville picking up no more than 4 points the rest of the way
4) Edmonton picking up no more than 5 points the rest of the way
5) Phoenix and Chicago picking up no more than 8 points the rest of the way

The crazy thing is, any one of these could easily happen. Two or three could happen. All five? A longshot....but not outside the realm of possiblity.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

four and five I may be able to see.

But to say that Colorado isn't going to get two points in five is unbelievably hard to swallow.

Same goes for Nashville and their four points.

I'm sorry to say this, but we're out of it.

At this point we can't crack 90 points. To make the playoffs at 89 points would be a miracle.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
"Nuts"

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

I've gotta hand it to Palinka and the others on the board that think we still have a chance. Your optimism is very admirable.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Robert
Foligno family

BTW, "nuts" is a quote from the commander of the 101st Airborn Division during WWII when asked to surrender by the German commander during the Battle of the Bulge.

It simply means "no". But in the spirit of the thread I'll change it to "no way in hell", sorry to be a party pooper but it's time to move past dreams of the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

yea sorry...not gonna happen

lets just be happy about a much improved season

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:36 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I appreciate your fire, bottle it, and use it this time next year....there not happening for us this season.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Palinka

I made the original post when Vancouver was up 2-1 on Colorado....it's now 5-2 Colorado. Both have the same number of points though, so if Vancouver doesn't pick up more than 2 in the next 5 games....

Old
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I've been as optimistic as most up here, but grasping at unrealistic longshot scenarios this late in the season and this far behind and with the way this particular team has played, --well, it's surreal to say the least.

Hitch as much said on his show today that they're out of the playoffs. He said he wants the veterans to finish strong for the young guys.

Better to salvage what they can in order to prepare this team for its next steps, than to waste time and be distracted by the hope of miracles.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
I have said it before and I will say it again .. I will think we have a chance Untill the Last Horn of the Last Game of the Season!!!! ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN !!! LETS GO JACKETS !!!

Old
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

how do you tell parity from mediocrity bluejackets fans??

1: Pay Attention, 2: Be Objective.

Old
03-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again .. I will think we have a chance Untill the Last Horn of the Last Game of the Season!!!! ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN !!! LETS GO JACKETS !!!

Charge!!!!! (George Picket, battle of Gettysburg)

Old
03-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Charge!!!!! (George Picket, battle of Gettysburg)
I have to say...not the best example. It goes up there with "C'mon, we can slaughter 'em and be home in time for lunch!" (Gen. George Custer, Battloe of Little Bighorn)

Old
03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I have to say...not the best example. It goes up there with "C'mon, we can slaughter 'em and be home in time for lunch!" (Gen. George Custer, Battloe of Little Bighorn)
"You think Wellington is a great General, I say he is a bad general, the english are bad troops and this will be a cakewalk...."

Napoleon Bonaparte before Waterloo.

Old
03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
how do you tell parity from mediocrity bluejackets fans??

1: Pay Attention, 2: Be Objective.

Exactly.
We should not be satisfied with a season that could have been better.
We should not be happy that we still have an unrealistic mathematical chance.

The organization, from Priest to Howson to Hitch to the players, have already publicly moved on to the challenge at hand:
  • Finishing strong and respectable.
  • Allowing coaches to get a great look at the young players.
  • Letting players prove why they should be on the roster next year.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Palinka

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"

Lord Cardigan, Crimean War

Old
03-26-2008, 10:07 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

I'm just happy that theres only 5 games left and they still arent mathematically eliminated. Thats improvement, no doubt about it. I'll take it. Even if they split the rest of the season, they'll have 10 more points than we had last year or have ever had. Now if they make similar improvement next year that would likely push us into 90+ points and in the playoffs. Coupled with the fact that we know that howson is looking to spend at least $15 million, I'm very optimistic about the next season.

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Casework

Let's be honest. The Jackets weren't "in" the race since the All-Star Game. Sure, they're still not mathematically eliminated, but Colorado and Vancouver aren't watching the scoreboard to make sure Columbus isn't right behind them.

Especially after the Nashville game, it's simply time to be realistic and be proud of the improvement of this team. Be proud that we'll likely finish the season .500 or better with 82+ points. Let's be happy Nik Zherdev has been one of this teams most outstanding players this year. Rick Nash is our new captain, and watching him play and lead our team makes me really proud to be a Blue Jackets fan, and happy we have such a wonderful person in our community and on our team. Let's be thrilled Pascal Leclaire has finally arrived. No, he never burnt out. He didn't suffer a major injury. He's showing us all why he was a top 10 pick, and why we all(outside of Mel) should have had more faith in him. We saw the debut of Derick Brassard. Kris Russell and Jared Boll came into camp and stole the show. Rusty Klesla and Jan Hejda have stepped up and been absolute horses on the backend. And now we know Scott Howson will fearlessly head into the Draft and free agency period and attempt to add some true impact players to this squad.

I can't wait for July 1st.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:12 AM
BluejacketNut

You know, I guess we should have seen this coming with the "Glory" movie clip of Carry the Flag. Its a suicide mission....run right into the fire boys, go get em. Well, we see what we have left....dropping like flies

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Skraut

Playoffs...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Let's be honest. The Jackets weren't "in" the race since the All-Star Game. Sure, they're still not mathematically eliminated, but Colorado and Vancouver aren't watching the scoreboard to make sure Columbus isn't right behind them.

Especially after the Nashville game, it's simply time to be realistic and be proud of the improvement of this team. Be proud that we'll likely finish the season .500 or better with 82+ points. Let's be happy Nik Zherdev has been one of this teams most outstanding players this year. Rick Nash is our new captain, and watching him play and lead our team makes me really proud to be a Blue Jackets fan, and happy we have such a wonderful person in our community and on our team. Let's be thrilled Pascal Leclaire has finally arrived. No, he never burnt out. He didn't suffer a major injury. He's showing us all why he was a top 10 pick, and why we all(outside of Mel) should have had more faith in him. We saw the debut of Derick Brassard. Kris Russell and Jared Boll came into camp and stole the show. Rusty Klesla and Jan Hejda have stepped up and been absolute horses on the backend. And now we know Scott Howson will fearlessly head into the Draft and free agency period and attempt to add some true impact players to this squad.

Good post, Case! I agree with every point you make and I'm with you every step of the way!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post

Honesty in posting.

However, the scenario Palinka painted strikes me as similar to "too much has to happen for Ohio State to get into the national championship game" last November.

Old
03-27-2008, 09:08 AM
blahblah

Miracle? Can happen. Likely... Well the Jackets haven't done anything to make us believe they can win the next 5 games. Will I support them the rest of the way? Sure.

Watching the last couple of games, even the Nashville game, I would rather have ran with some of the guys we have on the team now then what we have been running with all year. Transistion looks better, getting better scoring chances, some of the guys are paying the price more consistantly. Sloppy in our own end, but that can be improved on.

I kind of like Rome and Wilson, hopefully we'll see a steady dose of Wilson the rest of the way.

That 4th line is showing more chemistry then anything we've seen on the big club all year.

They likely won't make it, but I find this more entertaining then most of what we've seen post all-star break. Maybe 1 or 2 of these kids are ready and will stick going into next year. At this point, I don't see why Rome wouldn't.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
darrmd

Two things about Vancouver. Luongo will have a baby and has publically said that he will take some time off during this time period and the Canucks schedule is as follows

Fri Mar 28 - Play the Wild in Minnesota
Sun Mar 30 - Play the Flames in Vancouver
Tue Apr 1 - Play the Avalanche in Vancouver
Thu Apr 3 - Play the Oilers in Vancouver
Sat Apr 5 - Play the Flames in Vancouver

They have a lot of home games but I rather play the Blues twice and Chicago on their second game following them playing the Blues the previous saturday night then playing the Avalanche and the Flames twice.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
mossylog
Go jackets

i'm still on the idea that we are still in it. this is too much fun. the jacket games usually heading into the final third are just a background noise while i'm doing something else, but i'm still pumped and excited during every game this year. so if we can win against nashville then i would think we can win 5 in a row. now i'm not saying we win out and we are in, but win against nashville and we win out. right now i'm going to be a huge minny,calgary,edminton fan for the rest of this season.

mossylog is offline   Reply With Quote