HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Patrick's number be retired with all of this bad press?

Old
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Shadyone33

vCash: 500
Will Patrick's number be retired with all of this bad press?

I know there was a discussion earlier regarding which Canadiens player would have his number retired next. A lot of people thought that Patrick Roy would be next. Do you still think that it will be the case with all of the press he's been getting over this fighting incident?

I hope that it won't change the decision but I fear that it will...

Anyway, just looking for other people's thoughts...

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Well .....

Numerous drunk driving cases > sending one kid to fight another in a minor hockey game.

So yeah unless he kills someone #33 will hang next to Gainey #23.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
E = CH²

Way before this incident I was of the opinion that his jersey should NOT in any way be retired.

And this event doesn't make any difference. It has no bearings on wether his jersey should be retired or not.

Based on his on-ice accomplishments Roy would be an amazing candidate for his jersey to be retired. But is his play the only thing that matters ? I personally don't think it should be that way.

Roy spit on the jersey when he left the way he did. Players that have their jersey up there wanted to play for the habs their whole career. Roy wanted to get the hell out and made sure it would happen, and made sure we'd get screwed over in the process. He's also a big jerk, and he's been talking a lot of **** about the habs ever since he left. It would take away from all the other great judicious choices if the habs decided to retire his jersey.

E = CH² is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I know there was a discussion earlier regarding which Canadiens player would have his number retired next. A lot of people thought that Patrick Roy would be next. Do you still think that it will be the case with all of the press he's been getting over this fighting incident?

I hope that it won't change the decision but I fear that it will...

Anyway, just looking for other people's thoughts...
A post retirement minor league incident doesn't change the man's big league career, nor does it change the need to close and heal the Roy wounds this organization bleeds from.

Short of Roy rejecting the team's request for number retirement his file will have closure given to it in 2009, and it won't be a minute too soon.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:08 PM
nikrag03*

Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
He has no class, I never wanted his jersey retired and it never should be.

nikrag03* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:09 PM
m00ks

why would you retire a number of a player that quit on your team.

I'd retire Koivu's before Roy's.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03 View Post
He sure never helped the Canadiens win a cup and he wasn't the most dominant goalie at his time. Yup, he doesn't deserve such an honor.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
HabsDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Way before this incident I was of the opinion that his jersey should NOT in any way be retired.

And this event doesn't make any difference. It has no bearings on wether his jersey should be retired or not.

Based on his on-ice accomplishments Roy would be an amazing candidate for his jersey to be retired. But is his play the only thing that matters ? I personally don't think it should be that way.

Roy spit on the jersey when he left the way he did. Players that have their jersey up there wanted to play for the habs their whole career. Roy wanted to get the hell out and made sure it would happen, and made sure we'd get screwed over in the process. He's also a big jerk, and he's been talking a lot of **** about the habs ever since he left. It would take away from all the other great judicious choices if the habs decided to retire his jersey.
WORD. If they ever retire his number, lots of people would lose major respect to the organisation in place...me first!

Hope Brodeur beats all his records!

HabsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

Even after a wonderfully successful career in Colorado, when it would be easy for Roy to thumb his nose at the Habs obvious mistake, Patrick has shown remorse for the events following that Detroit game.

Besides the incident was largely the fault of Ronald Corey, and it's high time the specter of his presidency was ghostbusted. No better way to showcase the team's new direction than closing the books on the mistakes of that era.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I hope and I'm pretty sure Roy's jersey number will be retired.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:20 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
why would you retire a number of a player that quit on your team.

I'd retire Koivu's before Roy's.
Bolded for pwnz0r.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Two Stanley Cup wins > "No class"

He's the last man to lead this team to a cup and he took the team on his back while doing it. This man was a solid competitor and a top 3 goalie of all time to play the game, give me a break about not having class he deserves his number in the rafters and I won't be surprised if it's hanging up there by next year.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Well .....

Numerous drunk driving cases > sending one kid to fight another in a minor hockey game.

So yeah unless he kills someone #33 will hang next to Gainey #23.
You forgot the wife beating episodes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I hope and I'm pretty sure Roy's jersey number will be retired.
Sure, maybe in 29 years i say...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-27-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:38 PM
nikrag03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
He sure never helped the Canadiens win a cup and he wasn't the most dominant goalie at his time. Yup, he doesn't deserve such an honor.
So what? He was a great goalie, but he's a pure jackass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Two Stanley Cup wins > "No class"

He's the last man to lead this team to a cup and he took the team on his back while doing it. This man was a solid competitor and a top 3 goalie of all time to play the game, give me a break about not having class he deserves his number in the rafters and I won't be surprised if it's hanging up there by next year.
While we're at it, lets retire OJ Simpson's number too. U don't get it. It deosnt matter how good he was. He doesn't deserve the honour of having his number retired by one of the most classy and historic franchises in sports.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-27-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old
03-26-2008, 11:47 PM
HabsHockey

Retire his number already, i'm fed up of waiting

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:48 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

every couple of months we have this discussion and every couple of months the same conclusion is drawn: NO. The Canadiens organisation has too much class to do something like that.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:49 PM
nikrag03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
every couple of months we have this discussion and every couple of months the same conclusion is drawn: NO. The Canadiens organisation has too much class to do something like that.
There you go!

Old
03-26-2008, 11:51 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
While we're at it, lets retire OJ Simpson's number too. U don't get it. It deosnt matter how good he was. He doesn't deserve the honour of having his number retired by one of the most classy and historic franchises in sports.
I thought Roy's issue was with Tremblay and not the franchise? He seemed to play his heart out here like playing with appendicitis in the 1994 playoffs.

If Roy has issues with specific individuals, that is NOT the Canadiens. The Canadiens are the fans and fellow teammates he played with over the years and they would overwhelming welcome Patrick back.

As far as classlessness or getting suspended in Quebec, that has no bearing on me. He's not going to be babysitting my kids, so I'm not too worried.

As far as Roy comparisons to OJ, well that's just completely and utterly moronic on so many levels. OJ murdered two people and kidknapped a bunch of other people to get his memorabilia back. Not exacly sure who Roy murdered???

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:54 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
LOL

Yeah Roy killed someone? Great comparison. Patrick Roy lost his temper a couple times and said some things he'd probably want to take back so therefore I guess he isn't deserving of getting his jersey retired, even though he was one of the greatest goalies to ever play the game.

You're making it sound like he's done something terrible when he clearly hasn't. Patrick Roy did his talking on the ice and i'm pretty sure Canadiens fans don't care about his off-ice ****, they care about the 2 cups he led the team to.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
... Not exacly sure who Roy murdered???
Well in my view he murdered his chance to be one of the Greats of this Canadiens team.

Granted he was the best goalie but do you want to sully the Habs reputation of greatness by putting his name on the same ceiling as a class act like Beliveau??

I sure dont.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:59 PM
nikrag03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
I thought Roy's issue was with Tremblay and not the franchise? He seemed to play his heart out here like playing with appendicitis in the 1994 playoffs.

If Roy has issues with specific individuals, that is NOT the Canadiens. The Canadiens are the fans and fellow teammates he played with over the years and they would overwhelming welcome Patrick back.

As far as classlessness or getting suspended in Quebec, that has no bearing on me. He's not going to be babysitting my kids, so I'm not too worried.

As far as Roy comparisons to OJ, well that's just completely and utterly moronic on so many levels. OJ murdered two people and kidknapped a bunch of other people to get his memorabilia back. Not exacly sure who Roy murdered???

So only your kids are important? What about all the kids in junior hockey who are being coached by this idiot?

Wife beating is fine with you?
Yes, Roy is no OJ, but does someone have to be a murderer to have his number not retired? Patrick Roy is an idiot. Great goalie, yes. Patrick Roy has shown on numerous occasions that he has no class and is just a jerk. I'm sorry but i don't want that kind of person having his number retired by the Montreal Canadiens.

If Roy's was so upset he should have talked to Tremblay/Corey in private. Maybe they could have worked somehting out. In fact, i'm sure they would have resolved the issue as the habs management definitely didnt' want to lose him. But no, he thought he was above everyone.

Old
03-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
I don't think comparing murder to being left out to dry is a reasonable comparison. Yes Patrick was wrong, he's shown remorse for his actions. People are not perfect and I don't know why we expect athletes to be. He bled Red, White, and blue while he was part of the team and the team was being run into the ground anyway. I don't know why 12 years are destroyed by one action. It was bad, he did force the Canadiens' hand but my God...There had to be a better trade out there.

The only reason that I could see his number not being retired is because he didn't do enough in Montreal. He has nowhere near the Cups that anyone else has that already has their number retired with the exception of Morenz. It hurts to admit that coming from a Roy fan.

A fair comparison would be something along the lines of Babe Ruth, who was an idiot off the field drinking and hitting women around (Not completely sure Roy did it, the wife would have left eventually)...Would you un-retire Ruth's number?

I understand that turning your back on your team is the worst thing you can do in sport, but if I were the coach I wouldn't have been stupid enough to let it come to that.

Old
03-27-2008, 12:01 AM
nikrag03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I don't think comparing murder to being left out to dry is a reasonable comparison. Yes Patrick was wrong, he's shown remorse for his actions. People are not perfect and I don't know why we expect athletes to be. He bled Red, White, and blue while he was part of the team and the team was being run into the ground anyway. I don't know why 12 years are destroyed by one action. It was bad, he did force the Canadiens' hand but my God...There had to be a better trade out there.

The only reason that I could see his number not being retired is because he didn't do enough in Montreal. He has nowhere near the Cups that anyone else has that already has their number retired with the exception of Morenz.

I understand that turning your back on your team is the worst thing you can do in sport, but if I were the coach I wouldn't have been stupid enough to let it come to that.
One action, that's funny. He has shown on numerous occasions what kind of person he is.

Old
03-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
One action, that's funny. He has shown on numerous occasions what kind of person he is.
It's the action that most people use as the basis of their argument. Other than that, he's spoken his mind which I find quite refreshing compared to others that say the same standard 5-6 quotes.

Old
03-27-2008, 12:12 AM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe they'll do it to get it out of the way and just sweep it under the rug...

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote