HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If montreal plays washington first round.

Old
03-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Davebo
beep beep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post

It's not a matter of keeping Ovechkin off the scoreboard, it's about limiting his presence on it. I'm willing to bet that it'll take an entire team game to do so, and the burden doesn't fall solely on one player.
Exactly correct. Watch the 2005 World Junior's - Ovy left that game due to the (clean) physical punishment he had to endure - from Phaneuf, Weber, Bergeron - hell - even Crosby nailed him.

He lasted half a game, and his team was defeated. The same can (and should) happen with the Caps.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

While I don't underestimate the Bell Center crowd's capacity to jeer anyone, Huet's a tougher target to hate than a Brière. Beyond the fact Ovechkin and Co. are an up-and-coming force and Huet is a good goaltender, this matchup is a concern for me on another level. I fear the distraction of the Huet-trade sideshow that's sure to come up.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:39 AM
TheGoalJudge

You know who can shut down Ovechkin? Chris Higgins.

Just saying.. if he was asked to perform that role, I think he could do it.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
montreal wont be able to stop ovechkin, but washington wont be able to stop montreal's balanced attack either.
That's what they said about Joe Thornton
But i do agree that a motivated Ovechkin would be hard to stop (unless he's injured). Actually i don't think we can stop him completely, just limit the damages.

Maybe a super defensive pairing like Hammer - Komi would be able to neutralize most of his attacks. It would be interesting to see to say the least.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Judge Sauer*

Markov's done a pretty good job of shutting down Ovy for 3 of the 4 games so far this year.
I don't expect to see Huet getting any hostility, but he will be ragged on while in net when playing in Montreal. This would be one hell of a fun series to watch, don't forget, it's not only Ovy on the ice, Backstrom can cause damage too.....so much damage...he can score on his own team, albeit, not as pretty as McCabe.

Jan 31 '08 MTL @ WSH 4G 1A 5P +4
Jan 29 '08 WSH @ MTL 0G 0A 0P -1
Jan 05 '08 WSH @ MTL 2G 0A 2P +/-0
Dec 20 '07 MTL @ WSH 0G 1A 1P -3

Last edited by Judge Sauer*: 03-27-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:50 AM
jcpenny

I keep reading the "i dont want us to face" line and i dont understand it. Want to be the best? Got to beat the best. Bring'em all!

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:08 AM
LeMAD

Komisarek won't play in the first round...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:23 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I'm not worried about any of the teams the Habs might face in the 1st round assuming they finish 1st or 2nd in the EC.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:27 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxHxIxExF View Post
No shootouts in the playoffs
But plenty of 3rd periods.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

People are disregarding what a guy like Fedorov and even a guy like Cooke might be able to do in a playoff mode. Washington is pretty scary, obviously because of Ovy and Backstrom and Huet will want to show everybody what he can do that's for sure.

Washington is on my list of not to face in the 1st round, like the Rangers and the Pens. The rest is fine with me. 'Cause I really think we need to pass the 1st round to conclude this year on a good note despite this incredible year we had. Beaten in the 2nd round and with the year we just had knowing that some young guns are still coming and we'll be better next year, will be a great boost to the future of this team.

Losing in the 1st round, will, again, put question marks on our toughness and ability to reach the other level despite the young kids in the lineup. It shouldn't but it will. Win the 1st, and it's a great year. Lose the 1st, and Koivu leadership is questioned, Kovy didn't bring it when it counted the most, Price is unable to take the pressure, kids are not that great after all and all that crap....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMeth View Post
Huuuuuuuuuuuet - Huuuuuuuuuuet - Huuuuuuuuuuet!

(à la Thomas, Raycroft, Emery, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
I, personnaly, wouldn't do it for Huet. I just love the guy too much, it would be wrong. I'd probably cheer for him instead.
Huet is fragile between the ears. We (the fans) could EASILY swing the series in our favour. And even if we loved Huet when he was here, he no longer is and he is trying to stop us. He will be jeered (if we play them), I have no doubt.

I don't worry for a second playing against Huet in the playoffs. All we need to do is take a look at the way Carolina and the Leafs play against him and he'll crumble.

1) Long shots from ANYWHERE with traffic
2) Make him move to his left (Carolina does it all the time).
3) Crash the net

I liked Huet when he was here, but he's against us now. I'd bother the crap out of him in the crease all series long.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Will Komi be able to neutralize Ovechkin ?

I mean look, Komi along with Regher are the leagues best shutdown defencemen IMO. What makes Ovechkin so different from every other prolific player is that he physically tough and can skate. Im scared the field day that ovechkin is gonna put on against us.
Obviously it will take more than Ovechkin to beat the Habs. If one player could really carry a team, they'd be battling for 1st right now, not 8th or 9th or 10th. I think the best way for the Habs to do it is like against Ottawa, go on the attack, the opposition can't score when we have the puck in their end.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People are disregarding what a guy like Fedorov and even a guy like Cooke might be able to do in a playoff mode.
If we can somehow minimize the damage that Ovechkin and Backstrom cause, I think Washington has their work cut out for them.

I respect Fedorov as a player, but if he has to lead the Caps (again assuming we concentrate on Ovy) then I think that's exactly what our coaching staff will want.

Old
03-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Obviously it will take more than Ovechkin to beat the Habs. If one player could really carry a team, they'd be battling for 1st right now, not 8th or 9th or 10th. I think the best way for the Habs to do it is like against Ottawa, go on the attack, the opposition can't score when we have the puck in their end.
I agree. I'm almost glad Ottawa's top line exploited our "shut-down" line. Hopefully Guy realized this too.

Old
03-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Huet is fragile between the ears. We (the fans) could EASILY swing the series in our favour. And even if we loved Huet when he was here, he no longer is and he is trying to stop us. He will be jeered (if we play them), I have no doubt.

I don't worry for a second playing against Huet in the playoffs. All we need to do is take a look at the way Carolina and the Leafs play against him and he'll crumble.

1) Long shots from ANYWHERE with traffic
2) Make him move to his left (Carolina does it all the time).
3) Crash the net

I liked Huet when he was here, but he's against us now. I'd bother the crap out of him in the crease all series long.
The Habs are not a team that sends a lot of forwards skating through the crease, just not our style. Huet is as mentally tough as any goalie we have had since Patrick. He was challenged by Price and responded with a great stretch in early 2008 that pushed us to 1st in the conference, that's hardly bucking under the pressure.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Habs are not a team that sends a lot of forwards skating through the crease, just not our style. Huet is as mentally tough as any goalie we have had since Patrick. He was challenged by Price and responded with a great stretch in early 2008 that pushed us to 1st in the conference, that's hardly bucking under the pressure.
I humbly disagree. I'm not worried at all.

Old
03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quick question. Where's Cristobal Huet (the poster)?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

Yikes.. That's the last thing we need.. Huet to eliminate The Habs...

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:40 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
When it's one game every now and then in the season, match-ups are not really important. But in a 7 game series they are the key to victory. I think Markov/Komi could shutdown Ovechkin for sure. Markov is great at takeaways and when Ovechkin goes in the corner Komisarek can crush him. There's only so much one player can do anyways, I wouldn't be too worried.
Ovechkin + Huet tandem isn't bad at all tho

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:42 AM
NHLcrazy

I think most of the guys in the team know Huet's weaknesses with all the games and practices they had on him in the past years...

The only key would be to have 1 or 2 guys on Ovy at all time...the rest of the team is talented but depend on him A LOT (Semin,Backstrom,Kozlov,Federov)

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:43 AM
senrab

Send a message via AIM to senrab Send a message via Yahoo to senrab
If this series does happen, I would go to one of the games in DC. I'm a Sabres fan but I would cheer for you guys, you're my least hated team our division.

senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrab View Post
If this series does happen, I would go to one of the games in DC. I'm a Sabres fan but I would cheer for you guys, you're my least hated team our division.
Wow, what did we do to deserve that??? We're not trying to offend hard enough....

I'm totally just kidding, man. I suppose I feel the same way about the Sabres (but I still hate them all a little bit ).

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
senrab

Send a message via AIM to senrab Send a message via Yahoo to senrab
I hate Ottawa the most, followed by the Laffs.

senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:51 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Ovy could win them 1 or 2 games by himself, like he did in the regular season against us. However, he's not going to win the series single handedly and they don't have anyone else who can beat us.
i agree he can win 1-2 games but also now they have some pretty good players right now also. Backstrom is pretty dangerous along with Semin. and they also got huet. so we all know what's his weakness, shoot from the blue line.
but i have all the confidence on marky and komo.

Last edited by ari1160: 03-27-2008 at 12:10 PM.
ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:53 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Quick question. Where's Cristobal Huet (the poster)?
on caps board !!!

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote