HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Giving the Devil(s) his due...

Old
03-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Giving the Devil(s) his due...

For years the Devils scouting staff bathed in the compliments poured over it from most everyone... Conte is their main man and certainly has made some stellar picks over the years with the rest of the staff.

Recently I have really been surprised with some of their picks... I know Devils fans may love their own guys, but I really have not been as impressed at all with the bulk of their prospects (and I used to fear what they had coming down the pipe). Bergfors certainly has not been lighting the world on fire *but more interestingly*...

I was watching the 06 draft again last night and remembered that the Devils traded away their 1st round pick (25th overall) for the 30th and 77th overall pick.

The guys they got? Matt Corrente (30th) and Vladimir Zharkov (77th).

The guy they gave away with the 25th pick?

Patrik Berglund.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Berglund is obviously the better prospect but he had lots of risk before the draft. Corrente was pretty much a sure type prospect and the type of defensmen build for the playoffs. Zharkov is also a risk who is getting no playing time in Russia. Way to early to bash NJ for this.

Bergfors may not have been lighting it up this year but remember at 18 he put up 40 points in 65 games in the AHL. Berglund is playing in a weak Swedish league at 19.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Billboy

and 24 other teams passed on Bergland as well, so its not like Conte was alone.

Billboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Bergfors may not have been lighting it up this year but remember at 18 he put up 40 points in 65 games in the AHL. Berglund is playing in a weak Swedish league at 19.
If I'm not mistaken, his AHL team is pretty terrible too. Makes it kind of hard to put up lots of points.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Colt.45Orr

So let me see if I have this right:

When Conte trades up (and gains a Parise) he is a genius.

but when Conte trades down (and loses a Berglund) it isn't his fault.

Perhaps he has been put on a pedestal for so long that people are no longer objective... I just think that with all the praise he has received over the years he also deserves some second-guessing.

Yes other teams (with higher picks) passed on Berglund, but 25 is right where most expected him to go, and Conte's crew passed that up.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Inno

Corrente almost made the Devs in his 1st training camp. You should take a wait and see approach on your Berglund >>> Corrente viewpoint.

Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Billboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post

Perhaps he has been put on a pedestal for so long that people are no longer objective... I just think that with all the praise he has received over the years he also deserves some second-guessing.

Yes other teams (with higher picks) passed on Berglund, but 25 is right where most expected him to go, and Conte's crew passed that up.

Either way i think that its fair to assess a draft after the players involved have played at least one NHL game. I think its a little early to say that Bergund will be better then the combo of Zharkov and Corrente

Old
03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Devilswede

You can't compare Berglund with Parise genious... it's like comparing a Ferrari to a Volvo.

Why not compare Corrente and Berglund? The Devils got the type of d-man they wanted and needed. He's a hard nosed, in your face type of d-man. He's a good skater and does whatever it takes to win. He'll only get better with the guidance of Stevens and Robinson in New Jersey. He's close to being ready for the NHL too.

And we also got Zharkov who's an interesting prospect, a prototypical Devil. Strong two-way forward with exceptional skating.

Berglund will be a good player, but that's it. It's not like we're talking about the next Forsberg here or anything. Berglund is not even playing in the best league in Sweden. Right now Corrente is the better player and the better pick. At least for New Jersey. The Devils don't always pick the obvious choices, they pick the right players for their team.

Of course the Devils have made some bad picks over the years, so have the 29 other teams. But using Berglund and Corrente as an example just makes you look bad.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Saint Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inno View Post
Corrente almost made the Devs in his 1st training camp. You should take a wait and see approach on your Berglund >>> Corrente viewpoint.
That's what I am saying. I don't like people talking smack about the scouting staff that helped bring in 3 Cups. Even if Berglund ends up being better than Corrente, this one "gaff" does not undo the billions and billions of good dealings by Lou and crew, especially David Conte. If you think his magic is gone, watch and see how many teams would line up for his services if he were to leave. Probably every team except the Bruins cause they believe in doing things backwards, like trade Joe Thornton for a bnunch of detritus.

Saint Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I agree that Conte and company need to do a better job of late. But also remember that the Devils have been drafting in the lower end of the draft for about 15 years now, plus they probably still as an organization are one of the top teams of having players they drafted playing through-out the league as well as on their own team. But they definitely haven't pulled out any blue-chippers out of a hat lately ala Detroit.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:42 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Patrik Berglund, to me, is quickly becoming the most overrated prospects around here...

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:11 PM
sattar18

Quote:

so your saying parise=berglund
you can always look back at a draft and say this team or that team missed that player so i really dont see the point of this thread.

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I'm eager to see if we can ink Zharkov or Vasuynov or both.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Billboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
so your saying parise=berglund
you can always look back at a draft and say this team or that team missed that player so i really dont see the point of this thread.
I dont see the point either?
Someone didnt pick a player....wow?

Old
Brodeur

Quote:
The guys they got? Matt Corrente (30th) and Vladimir Zharkov (77th).

The guy they gave away with the 25th pick?

Patrik Berglund.
While I'm not enamored with the Devils' drafting in the last 10 years and would love Berglund in our organization, can we at least wait for at least one of those three guys to make the NHL before judging anybody?

It's not quite Corey Perry for Vojtech Polak/B.J. Crombeen or Scott Gomez for John Erskine/Tyler Bouck yet.

Credit the Blues, they had Berglund in their top 10 that day and worked for hours to try to move up and get him in the latter half of the first round.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

This year will be the start of a building box towards strengthening our prospect pool.

NJ Devils RULE!

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Saint Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyluv View Post
I dont see the point either?
Someone didnt pick a player....wow?
Rock on bro! Unless a team has the first pick and passes on a no-brainer like a Crosby or Lemieux, it is stupid to point out missed players in drafts.

Saint Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
This year will be the start of a building box towards strengthening our prospect pool.

NJ Devils RULE!
what's a building box?

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:

First off, how many games has Berglund played in the NHL? Comparing the Berglund pick to parise at this point is inadequate. He's playing well in the first division, I mean Christ, it's not like Backstrom lighting it up with Brynas! I've heard he didn't impress at the WJC either.

St. Louis also passed on Nick Foligno, who has already seen time with the Senators this year. Does that make JD and company inept?

Secondly, I don't know much about Zharkov, but Corrente looks like he's panning out to be exactly what the Devils wanted. Ever think that the Devils didn't draft Berglund because he was not the type of player that fit into the Devils' system?

In the end, Conte and co. have done very well with the lot they've been given. They haven't had a top ten pick since 1996! and since then the highest pick they've gotten was 17th (which they traded up to get Parise).

How much does a top ten pick matter? 22/30 leading scorers this year were top-10 picks.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
All-Star

It took 4 years for Andrei Kostitsyn to start looking like a good pick for the Habs in 2003. I'd wait a little before calling 2006 guys flops for any team...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:58 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
what's a building box?

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
It took 4 years for Andrei Kostitsyn to start looking like a good pick for the Habs in 2003. I'd wait a little before calling 2006 guys flops for any team...
Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund say Amen!

Old
03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund say Amen!
So does Nikolai Antropov, and Jason Blake!

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
So does Nikolai Antropov, and Jason Blake!

I'll give you Antropov, but it's hard to be a bust when you were never drafted in the first place.

Old
03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
animal74

You can't blame Conte for trades - that's Lou's authority. They might of had Corrente higher on their list than Berglund anyway.

animal74 is offline   Reply With Quote