HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD #9 Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Hmmm...then I can think of another prominent defenseman you won't be drafting.
It's a non-issue. Chiclets will be drafted by the time my next pick rolls around.
Quote:
Hmmm...ok. I couldn't find any listing of Cleghorn's size, but I did find a picture of the 24-25 Habs:

I'm fairly certain Sprague is the guy two to the right of ***** (obviously the goalie in the middle). He looks like he's...yeah...a bit above average in size. Ok, I stand corrected. Nevertheless, not quite the bruiser that Stevens was.
***** hasn't been drafted yet.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Now that I'm done being wrong about Sprague Cleghorn's jersey size, I have a question/request about playoff format and such.

1. I think clearly we are going with a full 32 team playoff format in ATD#9, though I'd like to open up a discussion about whether or not that is really a good thing. In future drafts, I wouldn't mind capping the number of teams at 30 and setting up a "true NHL system" with 2 conferences, 3 divisions of 5 each per conference and 8 playoff teams per conference. Pros and cons as I see it:

Pro:

- well, it's a real NHL system, which I think is obviously a good thing.

- the current system in which all teams make the playoffs seems to overvalue guys with good playoff records and undervalue regular season performance, which I feel is rather bush-league, to be quite frank. The "ATD regular season" should be meaningful in some way, and right now it's really not (especially with 32 teams and no 1st round byes).

- we're not exactly a Cinderella league, people. All those bottom seeds in the playoffs are out after the 1st or 2nd round, anyway.

Con:

- fewer teams in the playoffs may mean less voting. The consistency of our voting is pretty disappointing, anyway, and eliminating half the teams in the regular season may make the problem worse.

Oh, and one other thing...can we please not stick with BM's seeding/matchup system this time around in which home ice in the semis and finals is determined by total votes and not by division seeding. I thought it was patently ridiculous that a #2 seed would have home ice over a #1 seed. Total votes should be the tiebreaker between even seeds, not the first determining factor.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
***** hasn't been drafted yet.
Thanks, Pancreas. I hate it when that happens.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Bourque isn't small not because he's 5'11" which is undeniably short for a defenseman, but because he hovered in the 210-225 range his career; he was a bowling ball. Just my .02

Old
03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Playoffs. He was money in the post-season. Four rings. Big part of three of them. Why is Billy Smith picked so high, even though he topped 50 games played in the regular season once in his career? Playoffs. Why is Turk Broda always picked so high? Playoffs.

Bower's regular season numbers are impressive. His trophy case would be more impressive if it weren't for his competition. I think every No. 1 goalie in the league in Bower's prime - early-to-mid 60s - is in the HHOF. Just winning a Vezina, or getting a first-team all-star birth in that stretch was HHOF-worthy.

And a Retro Conn Smythe

But yeah, like GBC said, I'd put his run from 61-64 or around that time up there with just about any playoff goalie run of those selected immediately before him.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Would like to trade down from 76 + whatever for a lower 3rd and a 4th.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

I'm not a fan of the 16 team scheme you're suggesting. After investing so much time in the draft, it would be a kick in the scrote to any GM who winds up watching from the outside in. A few too many of those,and whose to say this GM doesn't just quit participating altogether, nevermind voting?

What about keeping track of wins and losses from one draft to the next? Over time, establish seeding that way, with the better drafting general managers being pit against one another for the sake of parity.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
What about keeping track of wins and losses from one draft to the next? Over time, establish seeding that way, with the better drafting general managers being pit against one another for the sake of parity.
Me likey

Old
03-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
lada selects D sprague cleghorn.
Near the top of my list of guys I would have loved to have seen play

Old
03-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the 16 team scheme you're suggesting. After investing so much time in the draft, it would be a kick in the scrote to any GM who winds up watching from the outside in. A few too many of those,and whose to say this GM doesn't just quit participating altogether, nevermind voting?

And then perhaps a replay of the 1970 Cup Finals?

I'm against it, but I'm for the dialogue.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
God Bless Canada

I like the format the way it is. If we were playing for money, or some sort of trophy, I'd say have a 16-team playoff. But it's a fun thing. I don't mind every team making the playoffs.

The one thing I would support is capping the draft. If we're happy with 32, then we cap it at 32. If we find that this thing drags, go back to 28, cap it at 28, and move on. The GMs who consistently hold this thing up will be given the boot, or forced to be co-GMs.

A quick reminder to all GMs: if you know you're not going to be around for a few hours, and your pick is coming up (say, five or six picks away), PM your pick to a reliable colleague. Guys like pit, Eagle, MXD, pappy, TC and myself are around regularly, and we're trustworthy, too. If you don't PM your pick, you're being selfish, and you're hurting the other GMs in the draft.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator
And then perhaps a replay of the 1970 Cup Finals?

I'm against it, but I'm for the dialogue.
How so? With the ATD powerhouses facing one another at an early stage, it gives a better chance of something unpredictable happening. The winner will advance through the competition until the Finals where the top teams will face against one another (like usual), but the newer general managers will have had the opportunity to establish credibility for the future drafts. Besides, this would only affecting playoff seeding, not the actual draft order.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
How so? With the ATD powerhouses facing one another at an early stage, it gives a better chance of something unpredictable happening. The winner will advance through the competition until the Finals where the top teams will face against one another (like usual), but the newer general managers will have had the opportunity to establish credibility for the future drafts. Besides, this would only affecting playoff seeding, not the actual draft order.
Best teams should face the best teams in the final, though. I don't want to see pappy vs. pit, or Eagle vs. HO (once HO returns) in the first round, unless one of those GMs doesn't ice a good team. You should be rewarded for icing a consistently strong team, not punished for it by being forced to play a fellow top GM.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Richard is an interesting pick. Brings a lot for sure...But I feel like, except under some specific circumstances (see Castors de Sherbrooke, ATD 8) he should never go above, well, an undrafted-yet center. Good thing for you monster_bertuzzi, Richard never hurts you. It's just that I feel there's one guy who brings kindof the same thing... and even more. Wouldn't file it under bad pick, but...
I wanted a premiere playmaking 1st line centre. I think I know who you're talking about...active player?

You sound pretty foolish too considering Richard was ranked in the 20's by THN, and as mentioned - praised by his peers.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Best teams should face the best teams in the final, though.
They will. It's just that the weaker teams will stand a better chance of hanging around for another round, before being eliminated (as opposed to being fed to the wolves from the very beginning). The way things are right now, we might as well adopt a 16 team playoff format, and save ourselves the time of voting on the first round. It's that predictable.

Winning Formula
Vintage +
Modern -
North American+
Euros -
Quote:
I don't want to see pappy vs. pit, or Eagle vs. HO (once HO returns) in the first round, unless one of those GMs doesn't ice a good team. You should be rewarded for icing a consistently strong team, not punished for it by being forced to play a fellow top GM.
It happened to John and myself last draft. It'll probably happen again this draft. The only thing that'll change is when the good teams meet each other in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I wonder what's keeping Jungo? It's 19:30 here in Germany. Perfectly reasonable time to be home from work and too early to go out. I'm sure he'll be around shortly, though.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
raleh

I love Cleghorn, but two drafts ago I picked him. He was my number one guy. Then once the playoffs started he kept getting suspended. He got no points and missed half the games. Probably because voters said his temper would hurt my team. I also had the Rocket on that team and a few other guys with bad tempers so maybe it was the team as a whole, but Sprague kept getting kicked out!

Old
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I wanted a premiere playmaking 1st line centre. I think I know who you're talking about...active player?

You sound pretty foolish too considering Richard was ranked in the 20's by THN, and as mentioned - praised by his peers.
I had Richard at No. 34 on my Top 100 list. Ahead of Sakic, Yzerman and Apps. I put a lot of stock into Phil Esposito's statement that the Pocket Rocket was the best centre Espo ever played against. H. Richard was so smart, so savvy, and such a good two-way centre. He wasn't physical, but he played bigger than his size, played aggressive, and wasn't afraid to take a hit to make a play.

My only concern about picking Richard so soon is that he strikes me as the prototypical second line centre. Had him once as my first line guy. I went out in the second round. I have doubts about his ability to shoulder the offensive load that's required as a No. 1 centre. But as a No. 2 centre, he'd be the class of the draft. Only one or two other centres who are in Richard's class for a No. 2.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
MXD

Quote:

The guy I was referring to was Syl Apps Sr.

I drafted Richard last draft. For my first line spot. That can be explained by the fact I had back to back picks giving me a chance to reunite an historical line.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
You sound pretty foolish too considering Richard was ranked in the 20's by THN
To be honest, I'm way past caring about that THN list. They pulled some real boners there, and furthermore, it's irrelevant to the actual construction of a team. Nothing wrong with where you took Henri; he was an excellent player, but I don't need Don Cherry and Stan Fischler to tell me that.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
MXD

Quote:
They will. It's just that the weaker teams will stand a better chance of hanging around for another round, before being eliminated (as opposed to being fed to the wolves from the very beginning). The way things are right now, we might as well adopt a 16 team playoff format, and save ourselves the time of voting on the first round. It's that predictable.

Winning Formula
Vintage +
Modern -
North American+
Euros -It happened to John and myself last draft. It'll probably happen again this draft. The only thing that'll change is when the good teams meet each other in the playoffs.
Well... It's just that when a guy is the best hockey player of his era (or the best player for a certain time), he deserves to be recognized. This said, it's not like everybody think Milt Schmidt* or Newsy Lalonde should be considered equals to Wayne Gretzky.

* I'm not sure on Schimdt being the best hockey player at anytime in his career. But he was for sure the best at his position for a while. Comparing Schmidt to Gretz is also much easier than comparing ******* ******* to Gretz considering they played the same position.

Old
03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
To be honest, I'm way past caring about that THN list. They pulled some real boners there, and furthermore, it's irrelevant to the actual construction of a team. Nothing wrong with where you took Henri; he was an excellent player, but I don't need Don Cherry and Stan Fischler to tell me that.
The more you look back at that list (compiled in 1996) the better it looks. I don't agree with a lot of the picks. But when you look at other lists, you begin to realize that THN did a pretty good job. (Although I think the History of Hockey forum is compiling a list that could give them a run for their money).

Old
03-28-2008, 02:14 PM
God Bless Canada

Does LAX realize that he and Jungosi are up?

Memo to all co-GMs: you need to be sure that you're in constant communication. Especially if you're picking early or late in a round. The guys who open and close out rounds are the most important ones in the draft, because they're the ones who determine how quickly this thing goes. If you're in a co-GM position, both guys need to know well in advance who they're going to pick.

Old
03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Does LAX realize that he and Jungosi are up?

Memo to all co-GMs: you need to be sure that you're in constant communication. Especially if you're picking early or late in a round. The guys who open and close out rounds are the most important ones in the draft, because they're the ones who determine how quickly this thing goes. If you're in a co-GM position, both guys need to know well in advance who they're going to pick.
i PMed both LAX and Jungosi.

Old
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Jungosi

Send a message via ICQ to Jungosi
Selection in a few minutes , I'm three-quaters death from training camp.

Closed Thread