HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bishai Sent Down

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Elvis Lives

vCash: 500
Bishai Sent Down

I'm hearing the Oilers assigned Mike Bishai and Jani Rita to Toronto after the St. Louis game. Bishai will apparently play a couple of games for the Roadrunners and return next week. No word on Rita's status.

Old
02-05-2004, 03:08 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Lives
I'm hearing the Oilers assigned Mike Bishai and Jani Rita to Toronto after the St. Louis game. Bishai will apparently play a couple of games for the Roadrunners and return next week. No word on Rita's status.

I guess it would be wise to send them down during the NHL All-Star Break so maybe Rita can get some playing time. If they Re-call Bishai and not Rita after the Break then that is just brutal. They didn't even give Rita a chance. I don't know what it is but the Oilers sure seem to be sour on Rita lately.

Old
02-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I guess it would be wise to send them down during the NHL All-Star Break so maybe Rita can get some playing time. If they Re-call Bishai and not Rita after the Break then that is just brutal. They didn't even give Rita a chance. I don't know what it is but the Oilers sure seem to be sour on Rita lately.
Bishai is a centre and Rita isn't. York is out and he's also a centre.

02-05-2004, 03:52 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
but it's not like you couldn't use Chimera at center and scratch one of the other guys. Besides - really, what would it hurt to take out Chimera/Pisani to give Rita his shot?? But now that we've won 3 of 4 MacT will pull a "we have to go with what's working" and Rita will have to wait EVER MORE!!

Old
02-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
Rita had his chance and he blew it. He must have laced up one of his skates incorrectly and MacT noticed it at practice. He was warned that he was going to be assessed on a shift by shift basis. I think MacT should have said he was going to be assessed on a shaft to shaft basis.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Bishai is a centre and Rita isn't. York is out and he's also a centre.
So then why even call him up? Why talk about 'last chances'? Why talk about 'evaluating' if he's not even going to get into a game?

I'm not saying Rita should be spoonfed a roster spot, but IMO it's a little late in the game to be playing head games like this. Do the Oilers WANT him to go back to Finland after his contract's up and never return?

They need to pee or get off the pot regarding Rita IMHO. It seems a weird way of managing your assets to me.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:32 AM
windowlicker

Just before the Big 25th anniversary party for the season ticket holders the other evening, as all the players were filing out, decked out in their new Sam Abouhassan suits, Rita was chained to the weight machine and told to sweep the rec room, the weight room, players lounge,fix the toilets, etc. When he mentioned this was impossible, due to the fact the chain was only 2 feet in length, Lowe and MacT threw their heads back with a deep, menacing laught as they turned the lights off.

Fast forward......2 weeks. Lowe is negotiating to move one of his vet defenceman to Florida, but Dudley insists on including Jani Rita in the deal. He stops when he realizes Lowe is insisting on thesame thing. In the sports section of the Florida Sentinel, the hockey section (Section Z52), in the description of the deal Rita is refered to as a "spare part who never took the ball and ran with it". (This is the only way Americans understand hockey, with Football references. Eg. Gretzky was the greatest Quarterback of his era).

Fast forward......2 years. After the Great War of 2004/05, things settle down somewhat. There is no hard cap, but the penalties for having a payroll in excess of 38 Mil are pretty stiff. Heatly is the leader for the Art Ross trophy, Marc-Andre Fleury has not yet become the franchise savior he was thought of at first, and Jani Rita has settled into a second line role on a decent Panthers team, with current starts of 18 goals, 24 assists for 42 points through 58 games. Jokinen, Bouwmeester and Rita form a pretty solid PP unit.

And MacT is still in Edmonton. Along with Assistant Captain Horcoff.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:39 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
So then why even call him up? Why talk about 'last chances'? Why talk about 'evaluating' if he's not even going to get into a game?

I'm not saying Rita should be spoonfed a roster spot, but IMO it's a little late in the game to be playing head games like this. Do the Oilers WANT him to go back to Finland after his contract's up and never return?

They need to pee or get off the pot regarding Rita IMHO. It seems a weird way of managing your assets to me.
I do think he should be "spoonfed" a roster spot. Why spend a first rounder on a guy and then not try to see it through?

I guess I'm not really saying they should give every first rounder a shot, no matter how awful they turn out to be, but Rita is at worst a borderline guy, you invested a bunch in him, why not try and coax that talent out of him instead of throwing it away.

As YKOil said on Oilfans, if you knew you weren't gonna give him a shot, then they shoudl have traded him back when his value was a bit higher. He might not be any worse of a prospect than back then, but they have probably dinged his value a bit.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:50 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
As YKOil said on Oilfans, if you knew you weren't gonna give him a shot, then they shoudl have traded him back when his value was a bit higher. He might not be any worse of a prospect than back then, but they have probably dinged his value a bit.
Hindsight always being 20/20 yeah... but if you had told me after Rita's first season in the AHL that he wouldn't be able to crack an injury depleted Oilers team 2 years later because of inconsistant play at the AHL level, I wouldn't have beleived you.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:45 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Hindsight always being 20/20 yeah... but if you had told me after Rita's first season in the AHL that he wouldn't be able to crack an injury depleted Oilers team 2 years later because of inconsistant play at the AHL level, I wouldn't have beleived you.
how can one know he can't crack the lineup if he doesn't get a shot?

his NHL stats last year were:

12GP, 3G 1A for 4 pts, +2

doesn't seem terrible for a guy you invested a 1st rounder in.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
dawgbone

Quote:

Does anybody actually read posts anymore?

There is a whole thread about this, your answer is in there. I'm not getting into this again, because it is obviously pointless.

Yes he had good stats in a brief stint... he's also the same guy who got 31 of his points this year in 20 games, and was shutout in the other 20... I'll leave that open to interpretation.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:11 PM
creative giant*

Well the 'Runners play the Baby Leafs tommorow night (on Sportsnet btw). I'll be very interested to see how Rita plays and handles this.

Maybe he'll light it up and show some consistency? Hopefully he'll force the Oil to call him back up.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:14 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
but it's not like you couldn't use Chimera at center and scratch one of the other guys. Besides - really, what would it hurt to take out Chimera/Pisani to give Rita his shot?? But now that we've won 3 of 4 MacT will pull a "we have to go with what's working" and Rita will have to wait EVER MORE!!
Yeah, I seem to remember a reporter asking MacT about playing Chimera at centre during training camp and the coach responded with an emphatic NO.

So, Chimera is not gonna play centre.

Old
02-05-2004, 03:42 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
Yeah, I seem to remember a reporter asking MacT about playing Chimera at centre during training camp and the coach responded with an emphatic NO.

So, Chimera is not gonna play centre.
He is not good enough defensively to play centre.

Old
02-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Walsher

Quote:

I agree. Everyone keeps saying "he had his shot and missed it"? To me he was one of the best players on the team in those games. He scored beauty goals on Joseph and Theodore on extremely beautiful plays. He has more talent than a large percentage of the Oilers. He hasn't had a shot. Like 16 games total with decent numbers in my mind is not "missing his shot". Oh well. Lets run another talented young player out of town.

Old
02-05-2004, 06:28 PM
jadeddog

if anything i would say that the fact he got 31 points in 20 games and did not get any points at all during another 20 games is a GOOD thing.... its shows that he can be a pretty dominant player some games..... and at least is scoring points in some games, rather than other players who are scoring points in next-to-no games..... and if you come back with "but he got shut out in 20 other games", well the following players from the oilers roster have also been shut out 20+ games this season:

york (22 games without a point)
dvorak (29)
smyth (31)

i wont even bother going down the rest of the list, because its pretty much every player on the team and i dont feel like having to count them all...... essentially rita has been on par with the top 3 oiler scorers (york, dvorak, smyth) as far as scoring a point in a game/games played (around 1 in 2)........ so this agument that he went 20 games without scoring has absolutely no merit

Old
02-05-2004, 06:59 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
if anything i would say that the fact he got 31 points in 20 games and did not get any points at all during another 20 games is a GOOD thing.... its shows that he can be a pretty dominant player some games..... and at least is scoring points in some games, rather than other players who are scoring points in next-to-no games..... and if you come back with "but he got shut out in 20 other games", well the following players from the oilers roster have also been shut out 20+ games this season:
It's not a good thing when you should be scoring regularly. Yes he can be a dominating player some games, and other games you don't even see him. This was my whole point in that other thread. I know he can dominate... I've said as much. The problem is he doesn't do it often enough, and that is my issue with him.

Quote:
york (22 games without a point)
dvorak (29)
smyth (31)

i wont even bother going down the rest of the list, because its pretty much every player on the team and i dont feel like having to count them all...... essentially rita has been on par with the top 3 oiler scorers (york, dvorak, smyth) as far as scoring a point in a game/games played (around 1 in 2)........ so this agument that he went 20 games without scoring has absolutely no merit
It has tonnes of Merit when you consider that he is doing this in the AHL... and you can't compare going pointless in 20 games in the AHL with going pointless in 20 games in the NHL. And in those games, guys like York and Dvorak have managed to contribute in at least some way... Rita doesn't always do that. I can understand struggling offensively... it happens... but doing absolutely nothing with 20 minutes of playing time in the AHL is inexcusable.

Old
02-05-2004, 08:54 PM
jadeddog

yeah your right, going scoreless in 20 in the NHL isnt the same as the AHL, but the idea still holds that all players do this, even our best players...... your also right that dvorak and york have done other good things when not scoring, but they are our best players.... not unlike my AHL/NHL comparison, its not fair to compare rita to our best player, it would be more accurate to compare him to the likes of pisani or chimera .... and in this comparison, i would take rita scoring every once and a while and learning the NHL game, while maybe not backckecking al that much over chimera scoring less and backchecking just as infreqently .... my point is that there are oilers that are on the roster that rita could easily (imo) replace, we wouldnt be "down-grading" our team by inserting him into their roster spot.... and then at least we will have a better idea of what we have in rita and whether he is worth resigning or protecting in the waiver draft

Old
02-05-2004, 09:09 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
yeah your right, going scoreless in 20 in the NHL isnt the same as the AHL, but the idea still holds that all players do this, even our best players...... your also right that dvorak and york have done other good things when not scoring, but they are our best players.... not unlike my AHL/NHL comparison, its not fair to compare rita to our best player, it would be more accurate to compare him to the likes of pisani or chimera .... and in this comparison, i would take rita scoring every once and a while and learning the NHL game, while maybe not backckecking al that much over chimera scoring less and backchecking just as infreqently .... my point is that there are oilers that are on the roster that rita could easily (imo) replace, we wouldnt be "down-grading" our team by inserting him into their roster spot.... and then at least we will have a better idea of what we have in rita and whether he is worth resigning or protecting in the waiver draft
It's perfectly fair to compare Rita to our best player, because he is the Roadrunners best player, and making a comparison between the AHL and NHL in that instance is fine. I'll gladly compare Chimera and Pisani to Rita... they showed more on a nightly basis in the AHL than Rita has... and that's saying alot because Pisani isn't anywhere near as talented and Chimera was terrible defensively.

Rita is going to be a solid NHL player, and I think Lowe knows it. He'll be signed to a one year deal much like Chimera was last year and he will have to try and belong, and will have to fight for his time. Is Rita going to become a better player because he is given a spot by default, or because "he can't be any worse than what we have"? I don't think he will. He'll become a better player when he figures out ways to contribute on a nightly basis.

Old
02-05-2004, 09:11 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
So then why even call him up?
They just "used" Jani as part of Lowe and MacT's big "shock and awe" campaign to shake up the team in their funk.

Nice.

Old
02-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
well the following players from the oilers roster have also been shut out 20+ games this season:

smyth (31)
Your theory is blown out of the water dawg, Jani even had an injury this season so he's entitled to a couple of off games when he first comes back.

Smyth has points in only 22 of 53 games and he didn't have any injuries serious enough to put him on the sidelines. If Ryan's the poster boy for this franchise then how can the village idiot call JR inconsistant and dish out ultimatums?

I'd wayyy rather be wrong about giving MacT the heave-ho than lose a good player. There are lots of coaches we could hire for free and they all have a shelf life of about 4 years anyways, we can't just grab players out of thin air and JR is good for 7 years and then some trade value to boot.

Old
02-05-2004, 09:41 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Your theory is blown out of the water dawg, Jani even had an injury this season so he's entitled to a couple of off games when he first comes back.
It would be, if he had them then. He was hot for about 7 or 8 games, got hurt, missed 7 or 8, and then was hot again for another 6 or so.

Quote:
Smyth has points in only 22 of 53 games and he didn't have any injuries serious enough to put him on the sidelines. If Ryan's the poster boy for this franchise then how can the village idiot call JR inconsistant and dish out ultimatums?
Granted, but he did play out of position for what, 27-28 games? No question Ryan is struggling, but he has also <b>earned</b> some leeway because he has proven he can bring it every day.

Quote:
I'd wayyy rather be wrong about giving MacT the heave-ho than lose a good player. There are lots of coaches we could hire for free and they all have a shelf life of about 4 years anyways, we can't just grab players out of thin air and JR is good for 7 years and then some trade value to boot.
Alrighty

Old
02-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Granted, but he did play out of position for what, 27-28 games? No question Ryan is struggling, but he has also <b>earned</b> some leeway because he has proven he can bring it every day.
So Smyth was pointless for those 27 games? Not! He was equally if not more useless on lw. And the only thing he has earned is about 25% of his salary.

The only two things keeping MacT's lame butt in business here are his buddy and his 3 year contract (from his buddy).

Old
02-05-2004, 10:35 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
So Smyth was pointless for those 27 games? Not! He was equally if not more useless on lw. And the only thing he has earned is about 25% of his salary.
Alrighty, well waive Smyth and give Rita his spot on the top line. Happy?

Quote:
The only two things keeping MacT's lame butt in business here are his buddy and his 3 year contract (from his buddy).
Really?

So it's like 90% of the coaching relationships out there?

incredible.

Old
02-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Alrighty, well waive Smyth and give Rita his spot on the top line. Happy?
Good answer.

Quote:
Really?

So it's like 90% of the coaching relationships out there?

incredible.
Another fine answer dawg, give yourself a pat on the back.

Closed Thread