HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Gillette Interview on Prime Time Sports

Old
03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
number 11

vCash: 500
OT: Gillette Interview on Prime Time Sports

Very interesting interview being replayed on team990 right now...Uncle George was interviewed last night on Prime Time Sports and he spoke about the Habs, the new MLS team, his relationship with Tom Hicks and more. He mentioned that he and his family get death threats almost daily from Liverpool fans.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Magic33

Ya i heard this interview also. Gillette sounds like a good guy. He is extremely interested and knowledgeable in everything he owns. It is very unfortunate that his family is getting death threats mostly because of his partner Hicks.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
anarmandaleb

Can I just ask what the deal is with the Liverpool fans? I don't know the background...

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 11:59 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Can I just ask what the deal is with the Liverpool fans? I don't know the background...
It's soccer.

These fans are mad.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Magic33

not entirely sure, but i think many of them were a little skeptical about having two americans own an english soccer team like Liverpool.

Also, in the interview with Gillette, it sounds as though his partner Hicks made certain comments to upset many of the fans. This is a problem because Gillette was looking into selling part of his share in the team to Hicks so that Hicks would be the only owner.

Now the fans are threatening Gillette because they dont want him to sell his share to Hicks aka the fans dont want Hicks as the majority owner. So it seems as though they like Gillette, but not Hicks.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
It's soccer.

These fans are mad.
There could be a few less after this weekend. Merseyside derby is on Sunday. Best of luck to Everton (and the crowd control folks - they might need it)

As for Liverpool fans, it's a little like the situation when the Glazers took over ManU(re). They see foreign owners come in from a country where football isn't as important as it is over here and many of them don't believe, for whatever reason, that they will run the team in the traditions they have had for years. They fear their team is about to become some rich business guys' toy. They fear they won't put as much passion in as money. There was fuss when some American took over the Habs, but he turned out ok

Liverpool are a huge name in football. They are one of the 'big 4' teams in England, but they need a new stadium to keep up with the other three teams, money to buy the best players and they haven't had league success in a long time. The fans are desperate for them to close the gap a bit, but that isn't really happening right now. They could blame their expensive players, but they cheer them every week so that doesn't happen much. They could blame the manager for wasting money or making questionable tactical choices, but he has led them to major success in European competition. Those two rich, American guys who just bought the team though, well they are just too tempting a target for some Liverpool fans to pass up. And it's a shame that is the case for GG as we know how good an owner he can be. But a number of Liverpool fans aren't interested in being patient and they want to focus their frustrations on someone right now.

I'm sure it's the case with fans of anything, anywhere. There will be a few people who sit at home drinking beer, cheering for a team, who would defend to the death that they know more about what is going on with the team and how to take it forward than the successful business man who buys the team. Some fans will embrace the new owner, some will be sceptical, and some will continue to be the pillocks that they are in everyday life.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Liverpool are a huge name in football. They are one of the 'big 4' teams in England, but they need a new stadium to keep up with the other three teams, money to buy the best players and they haven't had league success in a long time. The fans are desperate for them to close the gap a bit, but that isn't really happening right now.
You'd think Champions League success would offset that more than a little bit. It sure has for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
You'd think Champions League success would offset that more than a little bit. It sure has for me!
btw, Liverpool is going to crush Arsenalk next week, then Chelsea on the way to the finals.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-28-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I think its just a few fanatics making an entire fanbase look bad. Happens in almost every city.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

What's worst is that these fans didn't call him home because they hated George, they called him home because they were afraid he would sell his parts to Dallas Stars owner Hicks. I mean that's another level of insanity. I know Liverpool is a small town but still...

Maybe George could buy Manchester United?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
FinnoHab

Gillett and Hicks' ownership of Liverpool FC has been nothing but a travesty of lies and deceit and poor management. Primarily on the part of Hicks, but GG is pretty clueless as well.

The main thing is that when they bought the club, they swore that none of the debt incurred in raising capital to buy the club would be placed on the club itself.

Well, you can probably guess what the situation is now. It's not that us Liverpool fans are against having a rich owner in general, but we'd just like to have one that at least tries to keep his promises. Also everything concerned with the new stadium has been a fiasco so far. Changing designs, not enough money, delays, etc. And serious PR gaffes like Hicks saying in public that he had negotiations with Jurgen Klinsmann (German coach/manager) about him replacing the man in charge of Liverpool at the moment. Plus tons of other comments that show a blatant lack of understanding of the sport of football and how to manage a football team.

I have sympathy for Gillett, but none for Hicks. He needs to go. ASAFP.

And as for the Merseyside derby on Sunday, QGD, the Bluenoses are going to get a right whopping.

FinnoHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
It does for some, not everyone though.

For those who don't know the Premier League that well, the Big 4 (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool) have way more money than almost everyone else and finish in the top 4 spots of the league almost all the time. In the last 10 years (for example), all those teams have won the league. Except Liverpool. Who haven't won it for a while (since the '80s I think). Those teams used to have a huge gap over the rest of the teams in the league. But that gap has been closing in recent years as teams like Everton, Aston Villa, Man City, Spurs gradually improve. And while that gap is closing, Liverpool aren't able to close the gap between themselves and the other 3 top teams. In fact Liverpool were out of the top 4 places in the league this year until a few weeks ago. If things continue in the direction they are going, there will be a Big 3 in England and Liverpool will be under more and more pressure from those teams chasing them.

The Champions League success Liverpool has had has saved their fans blushes a little. Some are happy with that success. Others want more and to really challenge the other top teams in every regard. Some fans seem to think that the longer the new stadium takes, the longer it could hold the team back. They have a good squad and a decent manager, but they could tighten their belts and still have more success, if they go about it sensibly. Sadly, very little is sensible in the Premier League these days, so you can forget it. Only money will solve problems. And if money doesn't get it done, then they will need more money. And so on. Whereas the NHL is seeking parity and having 30 economically healthy teams, in the Premier League, you are on your own unless you fight to improve and make good decisions. You need money to compete, but it is just as important to spend it wisely. Otherwise, you can find yourself in trouble on and off the pitch very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnoHab View Post
And as for the Merseyside derby on Sunday, QGD, the Bluenoses are going to get a right whopping.
Why? Is Mark Clattenburg refereeing it again? AAaarrghhh

If Kuyt tries to break any Everton players legs again, he needs to be castrated. And a referee who can call things both ways would be a relief.

Btw, BBC article on Hicks / Gillett split here

And even worse news: Cahill is out for the season

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-28-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:54 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
btw, Liverpool is going to crush Arsenalk next week, then Chelsea on the way to the finals.
Um... no. They're not getting past the Gunners. Sorry.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 02:04 PM
les Habs

While GG and Hicks have made their mistakes, IMO Hicks is the bigger problem of the two. Either way though, the majority of the Liverpool supporters seem pretty blind to me if they can't see how much of a problem Benitez is. He's had loads of money to spend (more than Arsene Wenger, or at least he's spent more) and he still can't put together a title run. And lemme tell ya, the current Liverpool side won't anytime soon either unless they continue to upgrade. Benitez has brought in good players in Torres and Mascherano (funny how they all moaned about him not being signed and now he is) of late, but some of his other moves look bad. Ryan Babel is at the top of the list and Liverpool paid too much for him. Dirk Kuyt was another bad buy. What's maybe worse though are some of his player selections. Unbelievable Harry Kewell is still with the team much less gets a match.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote