HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft

Old
03-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
2008 Draft

Might as well put this thread up here.

Thanks to moves by Mike Keenan and Jacques Martin over the past two years, Florida will have just 4 picks in the upcoming draft (thanks Angry Treefrog), pending any trades that occur.

The Panthers have their own selections in the 2nd, 4th, and 7th rounds. Their 1st round selection goes to Nashville, as does the 2nd rounder acquired from Tampa in the Chris Gratton deal. Their 3rd rounder went for nothing to Toronto (well, it was supposed to be for Chad Kilger but you know how that is). Their 5th went to Toronto for Wade Belak. Their 6th went to Chicago in 2006 for Craig Anderson. The Panthers have Colorado's selection in the third round from the Salei/Skrastins deal.

Martin is scouting college players for "immediate impact" - that means to me two things:
1) He's intending to deal some players on the current roster
2) He's intending to get a cheap 4th line together so he can acquire some big talent as well as sign key restricted free agents.

Players possibly on the move and could fetch draft picks (but not necessarily - some might have to be bought out to get rid of them):
Jokinen
Stumpel
Dvorak
Kilger - not reported
Zednik - recovering from injury
Van Ryn - yet to play after wrist surgery
Mezei - RFA
Murphy - I think he's UFA without an extension, but not sure

I am not saying any of the above should be dealt or will be dealt, merely that they are the most likely to be dealt.

So...discuss...particularly interested in who we pick with our first selection, which should be around the 42nd position.

Last edited by Acadmus: 03-28-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

They received a third round pick from Colorado in the Salei trade.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:22 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
They received a third round pick from Colorado in the Salei trade.
It was used to get Kilger

edit: Nevermind, I stand corrected

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
It was used to get Kilger
No, he's right - they apparently dealt their own pick for Kilger (just to make that deal worse) and kept Colorado's, according to the NHL Entry Draft page on Wikipedia that I'm using as a source.

My original post is fixed.

Old
03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

Thanks to moves by Mike Keenan and Jacques Martin over the past two years, Florida will have just 3 picks in the upcoming draft, pending any trades that occur.

The Panthers have their own selections in the 2nd, 4th, and 7th rounds. Their 1st round selection goes to Nashville, as does the 2nd rounder acquired from Tampa in the Chris Gratton deal. Their 3rd rounder went for nothing to Toronto (well, it was supposed to be for Chad Kilger but you know how that is). Their 5th went to Toronto for Wade Belak. Their 6th went to Chicago in 2006 for Craig Anderson.
The only pick Keenan traded was the sixth rounder for Anderson that I think you would agree turned out rather well. So a BIG THANK YOU should go to JM for the Panthers lack of picks in the coming draft.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
The only pick Keenan traded was the sixth rounder for Anderson that I think you would agree turned out rather well. So a BIG THANK YOU should go to JM for the Panthers lack of picks in the coming draft.
Because he got an All Star goalie? Something Keenan was unable to do. Great idea, lets bash the guy for bringing in a long term top 10 goalie.

Acad, Murphy has another year on his deal.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Acad, Murphy has another year on his deal.
I can vouch for this.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Again, blind hatred would dictate that a duo of Craig Anderson and Alex Auld qualifies as a legitimate starting goaltender tandem.

Old
03-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Again, blind hatred would dictate that a duo of Craig Anderson and Alex Auld qualifies as a legitimate starting goaltender tandem.
What are you talking about Clint? Anderuld RuLEzzzz!!!!

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 01:44 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Mezei is a UFA i think.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 01:47 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

Thanks to moves by Mike Keenan and Jacques Martin over the past two years, Florida will have just 4 picks in the upcoming draft (thanks Angry Treefrog), pending any trades that occur.

The Panthers have their own selections in the 2nd, 4th, and 7th rounds. Their 1st round selection goes to Nashville, as does the 2nd rounder acquired from Tampa in the Chris Gratton deal. Their 3rd rounder went for nothing to Toronto (well, it was supposed to be for Chad Kilger but you know how that is). Their 5th went to Toronto for Wade Belak. Their 6th went to Chicago in 2006 for Craig Anderson. The Panthers have Colorado's selection in the third round from the Salei/Skrastins deal.

Martin is scouting college players for "immediate impact" - that means to me two things:
1) He's intending to deal some players on the current roster
2) He's intending to get a cheap 4th line together so he can acquire some big talent as well as sign key restricted free agents.

Players possibly on the move and could fetch draft picks (but not necessarily - some might have to be bought out to get rid of them):
Jokinen
Stumpel
Dvorak
Kilger - not reported
Zednik - recovering from injury
Van Ryn - yet to play after wrist surgery
Mezei - RFA
Murphy - I think he's UFA without an extension, but not sure

I am not saying any of the above should be dealt or will be dealt, merely that they are the most likely to be dealt.

So...discuss...particularly interested in who we pick with our first selection, which should be around the 42nd position.
I think the college players thing is to fill out the roster of our future AHL team.

I really like D Mike Stone for our pick in the 2nd round. He is solid in his own end and has decent offensive skills. I'll come up with some more options when I've had a chance to go over it.

Old
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I think the college players thing is to fill out the roster of our future AHL team.

I really like D Mike Stone for our pick in the 2nd round. He is solid in his own end and has decent offensive skills. I'll come up with some more options when I've had a chance to go over it.
I really hope we pick up a defensive prospect with our 2nd rounder.

Old
03-28-2008, 02:37 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
More defense with picks? We would basically being picking a project D with where we stand at the moment, Ellerby, LaPoint etc all being projects

I want us to pick Offense or Goaltending. I think a nice European talent could fall to us, or we could trade up into the 20-30 spots. Or Goaltending, which this year seems to be strong without any general consensus of where they will be picked.

I'd love to draft up for someone like Tedenby, Grachev, Stefanovich, Petrov. Tikhonov later on would be a good pick as well.

Not sure where Sateri or Markstrom are supposed to go, their draft positions seem to vary immensely. Getting Markstrom would be awesome, though unlikely now.

Man, i wish we had our pick, and could get Filatov. He is exactly the player we are missing, an offensive dynamo.

The Vokoun trade wasn't bad, and i remember when it happened, we were all happy we traded this years 1st rather than last years, but man do i wish we had our first this year instead of Ellerby.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 04:06 PM
FlaPanthers7

Ellerby is our only good d-man prospect, we need more depth there as well as goaltending. It stinks that we traded what will be a top 10 pick (most likely) in a very good draft, but I still think having Vokoun lets us turn around the club more quickly especially if we trade Olli before the draft.

Murphy has 1 more year - Mezei is likely a goner. He didn't contribute much this year or since the lockout ended for that matter. It's a shame b/c he looked like a good prospect before the lockout. Maybe we can bring back Kolnik though!

I wonder if Toronto will trade us a 3rd rounder for Kilger back???

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
I really hope we pick up a defensive prospect with our 2nd rounder.
I've never been a fan of drafting for position. I think regardless of position, you take the best athlete. You can always use him for trade later on if you have a glut at a certain area. You just don't know how hockey prospects will pan out. The hockey draft can be so fickle. High round selections you think will be the next "Great One" wind up bouncing drunks at a bar in Thunder Bay while some 6th round throw in becomes Pavel Datsyuk.

I like VanRyn and I think he'll have a better season next year. But I also think of your list Acad, we could probably get some good draft picks for him. IMO - with Olli we should be getting a current good caliber NHLer in return with maybe some lower round picks or more likely prospects.

I am not advocating trading either one of them. I just think from Acad's list, these are the two quality deals that could help us make significant changes to the roster be it in the form of picks or prospects or current NHLers.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Yeah, exactly. JM is pursuing college free agents so that we have better call-ups next year, particularly on defense IMO. And also because we only have 4 picks in this draft, so we need to sign a few free agent prospects. I wouldn't anticipate him trading away a lot of the current roster players, and that will also be in part because nobody will want guys like Stumpel, Peltonen, etc. Jokinen is obviously tradeable. Idk about Van Ryn. If he isn't coming back this year like reported, because now he's having yet another setback, there might not be a team brave enough to even take him on for free, simply because he would eat up considerable cap space if he can't return to his earlier form.

I think we'll draft a defenseman in the 2nd round, unless a forward or goalie falls to us that we simply can't pass on. We still have a lot of work to do with respect to our defensive prospects. The forwards in our system are fine at the moment, we'll probably take a forward or two with our last two picks. We need to improve our goaltending as well, but this draft is supposedly deep in quality goaltenders so we can wait until a later pick to address that.

I think most if not all of these defensemen will be available when we make our first selection, and IMO will be the best to pick from at our position: Jake Gardiner, Mike Stone, Mark Barbeiro, Brandon Burlon, Johan Motin, Shawn Lalonde, Maxim Chudinov, Philip Larsen, Roman Josi, Kristopher Berglund, Cody Golobeuf.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 09:41 PM
PanthersRule96

This sucks.......we don't even have the draft to look forward to this season..........

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
I'm pretty sure Martin will be wheeling and dealing in the draft. ALL 30 GMs in one spot, prime time to make a deal.Good chance Olli can be dealt, I'm sure he would be actively shopping him. He has stated before he was taking offers on him pre deadline. Will be interesting

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
I'm pretty sure Martin will be wheeling and dealing in the draft. ALL 30 GMs in one spot, prime time to make a deal.Good chance Olli can be dealt, I'm sure he would be actively shopping him. He has stated before he was taking offers on him pre deadline. Will be interesting
Well, this brings up another element of the conversation, which is whether Martin survives as GM until draft day.

At this point, I'm highly dubious that he will be retained as head coach...so question is, does he realize that his time as a head coach in the league has passed and accept staying on as GM, or does he go altogether, and when Cohen will time that move?

Or does Cohen shock us all and make no moves, except to order Martin to keep Olli?

Old
04-02-2008, 02:11 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
More defense with picks? We would basically being picking a project D with where we stand at the moment, Ellerby, LaPoint etc all being projects

I want us to pick Offense or Goaltending. I think a nice European talent could fall to us, or we could trade up into the 20-30 spots. Or Goaltending, which this year seems to be strong without any general consensus of where they will be picked.

I'd love to draft up for someone like Tedenby, Grachev, Stefanovich, Petrov. Tikhonov later on would be a good pick as well.

Not sure where Sateri or Markstrom are supposed to go, their draft positions seem to vary immensely. Getting Markstrom would be awesome, though unlikely now.

Man, i wish we had our pick, and could get Filatov. He is exactly the player we are missing, an offensive dynamo.

The Vokoun trade wasn't bad, and i remember when it happened, we were all happy we traded this years 1st rather than last years, but man do i wish we had our first this year instead of Ellerby.
Best available player

Old
04-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Clint

Quote:
Best available player
I understand the BPA strategy, and I'm hoping that when we select the best player available is a defenseman. We are sorely lacking in defensive prospects.

Old
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
I understand the BPA strategy, and I'm hoping that when we select the best player available is a defenseman. We are sorely lacking in defensive prospects.
We can trade up or down to make sure that the BPA is a defenceman, thus maximizing our value.

Old
04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Clint

Quote:
We can trade up or down to make sure that the BPA is a defenceman, thus maximizing our value.
That's what I'm thinking.

Old
04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking.
At 40, there is no obviously BPA. Where we pick, excluding a trade for a 1st round pick, we are unlikely to have a player who it is glaringly obvious should have been picked already.

Looking at this draft, i've heard so many guys who are possible 1st round picks, im inclined to believe it is a deep draft.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
At 40, there is no obviously BPA. Where we pick, excluding a trade for a 1st round pick, we are unlikely to have a player who it is glaringly obvious should have been picked already.

Looking at this draft, i've heard so many guys who are possible 1st round picks, im inclined to believe it is a deep draft.
Well even in weak drafts scouting departments have extensive ordered lists of players they want and don't want. I watch the draft coverage every year and even into the 3rd and 4th rounds you here scouts and GMs saying, "What about this guy? We have him much higher on our list and maybe we should take advantage of the fact that he's fallen and try to trade up?"

At this point I would have no problem trading down further into the 2nd round. We only have four draft picks. Maybe we could trade our 2nd for a lower 2nd and like a 4th or 5th?