HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2008 Draft

Old
04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Well even in weak drafts scouting departments have extensive ordered lists of players they want and don't want. I watch the draft coverage every year and even into the 3rd and 4th rounds you here scouts and GMs saying, "What about this guy? We have him much higher on our list and maybe we should take advantage of the fact that he's fallen and try to trade up?"

At this point I would have no problem trading down further into the 2nd round. We only have four draft picks. Maybe we could trade our 2nd for a lower 2nd and like a 4th or 5th?
I don't know the stance we are going to take on this draft, or our scouts opinion on this draft. I hope we trade up, but i feel its unlikely. Plus, i don't really value our late round selections. We aren't the Red Wings!

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Seeing as this draft is supposedly loaded with d-men, the possibility that the BPA is one at your spot is extremely likely (without making any trades). They believe that this draft is as deep at defense as the 2003 draft where guys like Shea Weber, Matt Smaby, Kevin Klein, Matt Carle, etc (basically top 4 type guys) were selected in the 35-50 range.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I don't know the stance we are going to take on this draft, or our scouts opinion on this draft. I hope we trade up, but i feel its unlikely. Plus, i don't really value our late round selections. We aren't the Red Wings!
If you look at last year's late round picks and how they've progressed this season, I don't think the Panthers did all that badly - I think I counted four Panther picks outside the first round that are showing decent potential.

The Panthers aren't the wings, but they're also not the Rangers who don't seem to produce a heck of a lot from their prospect system. The Panthers have historically batted about .220 in the draft, which I believe is comparable to the rest of the league - maybe even a bit higher. The team really hasn't had the worst drafting in regards to picking NHLers. It only seems that way because of the lack of top-end scorers they've drafted, and the fact better players have been selected later by other teams (mainly in the first round, though).

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-04-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
If you look at last year's late round picks and how they've progressed this season, I don't think the Panthers did all that badly - I think I counted four Panther picks outside the first round that are showing decent potential.

The Panthers aren't the wings, but they're also not the Rangers who don't seem to produce a heck of a lot from their prospect system. The Panthers have historically batted about .220 in the draft, which I believe is comparable to the rest of the league - maybe even a bit higher. The team really hasn't had the worst drafting in regards to picking NHLers. It only seems that way because of the lack of top-end scorers they've drafted, and the fact better players have been selected later by other teams (mainly in the first round, though).
Late round picks looking good a year later is common. Natural development leads 19 yr old prospects (especially in the CHL) to look better than when they were 18 yr old prospects. Most fans say they think there team has draftes a few gems in the later rounds, simply because they start to assert their dominance as they become older.

None of our late round picks look awesome either. Dadonov perhaps, a good find, though the whole Russian thing perhaps mixed with size is the reason he fell? Rust looks solid, Lee hasn't had a great season stats wise in the USHL (Compared to LaPoint), Syvret hasn't done anything to write home about, and Watson has solid stats for a freshman, but again doesn't appear to be a steal. Gayduchenko is a wildcard.

Looks like a solid draft for sure (Ellerby a big question mark) but most teams a year later will be happy with their draft.

Old
04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Late round picks looking good a year later is common. Natural development leads 19 yr old prospects (especially in the CHL) to look better than when they were 18 yr old prospects. Most fans say they think there team has draftes a few gems in the later rounds, simply because they start to assert their dominance as they become older.

None of our late round picks look awesome either. Dadonov perhaps, a good find, though the whole Russian thing perhaps mixed with size is the reason he fell? Rust looks solid, Lee hasn't had a great season stats wise in the USHL (Compared to LaPoint), Syvret hasn't done anything to write home about, and Watson has solid stats for a freshman, but again doesn't appear to be a steal. Gayduchenko is a wildcard.

Looks like a solid draft for sure (Ellerby a big question mark) but most teams a year later will be happy with their draft.
Just trying to give you something to be positive about - the history for this team isn't bad even in the later rounds. Not likely to result in home runs, but possibly a gem to be had somewhere.

No point in being down about it before it's happened, is all I'm saying. Even having a first round pick isn't a guarantee.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Just trying to give you something to be positive about - the history for this team isn't bad even in the later rounds. Not likely to result in home runs, but possibly a gem to be had somewhere.

No point in being down about it before it's happened, is all I'm saying. Even having a first round pick isn't a guarantee.
Oh im not down about the Panthers and their prospects. I find the situation rather hilarious.

Its so bad for me, i only know one other person who even supports another NHL team, so no one ever knows about me supporting a bad team.

I like last years draft. Repik, Dadonov, Gayduckenko and Rust are guys i like. Never that high on Ellerby, especially now.

Really want us to trade up for Markstrom.

Old
04-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Seeing as this draft is supposedly loaded with d-men, the possibility that the BPA is one at your spot is extremely likely (without making any trades). They believe that this draft is as deep at defense as the 2003 draft where guys like Shea Weber, Matt Smaby, Kevin Klein, Matt Carle, etc (basically top 4 type guys) were selected in the 35-50 range.
And I agree. This draft is just ridiculous regarding defensemen.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 09:49 AM
FlaPanthers7

Carolina commentators mentioned JM was scouting the Nashville-St. Louis game last night. I wonder if JM has his eye on someone for a draft day trade?

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:21 AM
timw33

So who do you think you guys are going to draft?

I am a Canuck's fan trying to figure out who might be available at 10th since you guys will draft 9th.

Do you think you will go for a a guy like Myers, Beach, Boedker, Boychuk or Wilson?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Actually if you look at the Rangers draft history since Florida's been in existence, they have done reasonably well drafting NHLers in later rounds. Since 93, they've drafted (after the 1st round), Todd Marchant (93,7th), Eric Boulton (94,9th), Kim Johnsson (94, 9th), Marc Savard (95, 4th), Mike York (97, 6th), Dominic Moore (00, 3rd), Henrik Lundqvist (00, 7th), Fedor Tytuin (01, 2nd), Marek Zidlicky (01, 6th) Ryan Hollweg (01, 8th), Petr Prucha (02, 8th), and Nigel Dawes (03, 5th). Their ability to draft in the 1st round, however is hit and miss (though the last 3 look like studs). But that list shows a variety of players that I think would be longer than Florida's list from that same time frame. And I was primarily focused on guys that are still playing in the league, not whether they've been a one season phenomenon.

Point being, its the teams that draft well in the later rounds and find gems that can sustain long term because they have the talent to incorporate into their lineup or trade for assets that will be influential to their plans. Thats what teams like Detroit, NJ, Colorado and, to what I was also surprised to see, the Rangers do to be top end teams.

Source: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/index.html

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 07:49 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
So who do you think you guys are going to draft?

I am a Canuck's fan trying to figure out who might be available at 10th since you guys will draft 9th.

Do you think you will go for a a guy like Myers, Beach, Boedker, Boychuk or Wilson?
Nashville has our pick.

The team who drafts Beach is going to be disappointed. Boedker i like alot, but his finishing skills have been questioned. Wilson could end up being similar to Weiss.

Old
04-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
The Panthers 2008 Draft will look like this:

1st Round: No selection, traded to Nashville (for Vokoun)
2nd Round: Panthers own pick
3rd Round: Colorado's pick (from Salei trade), The Panthers own pick is in Toronto (for Kilger)
4th Round: Panthers own pick
5th Round: No selection, traded to Toronto (for Belak)
6th Round: No selection, traded to Chicago (for Anderson)
7th Round: Panthers own pick

Needless to say, that 2nd round pick is our biggest one, so unless there's some trading going on, expect a very uninteresting draft day for the Panthers.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 08:08 PM
PanthersFanatic12

This is the most dead , i have seen a thread about the draft in awhile around here . I guess , its because we dont have a first round pick . But we do have a second . Is anyone keeping up with the 2008 prospects enough , to throw out some names out there who they think we should select ?

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
This is the most dead , i have seen a thread about the draft in awhile around here . I guess , its because we dont have a first round pick . But we do have a second . Is anyone keeping up with the 2008 prospects enough , to throw out some names out there who they think we should select ?
Yeah, it's probably because we don't have a first. But this looks like a really strong draft, and we should still get a very good player at #40( we move down a spot because Phoenix lost the rights to Blake Wheeler), unless we totally blow the pick. I think that pick would still have first round value in an average draft. I think we should, and will, select either a defenseman or a goalie. For defensemen that I project to be available around that spot, I like Shawn Lalonde, Mike Stone, Cory Fienhage, Cody Goloubef, and Justin Schultz. Thomas McCollum and Chet Pickard are the two best goalies I have seen, and they are also ranked #1 and 2 respectively by CSB for NA goalies. I haven't seen the two highly touted European goalies Jacob Markstrom and Harri Sateri, but they are supposed to be very good as well. I really like McCollum, I think he's going to be great.

Old
05-31-2008, 04:29 AM
IanB

Quote:
For the most part, I agree with MisterBouw. I think McCollum has a reasonable chance of lasting that long, and would satisfy the Panthers organizational needs the most (seems to me he's well ahead of Pickard too, though thats just my feeling). I also think there are several defensemen to take, if thats what the Panthers want to do: I personally like the Europeans, Niemi and Karlsson, and I think one of Lalonde, Ness, or Goloubef will almost certainly still be available too, all potential choices.

If I had to predict who the Panthers will take at 40th overall, I'd say McCollum, if not, then Lalonde. Still too early to tell.

Last edited by IanB: 05-31-2008 at 09:45 AM.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 07:33 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Bross View Post
For the most part, I agree with MisterBouw. I think McCollum has a reasonable chance of lasting that long, and would satisfy the Panthers organizational needs the most (seems to me he's well ahead of Pickard too, though thats just my feeling). I also think there are several defensemen to take, if thats what the Panthers want to do: I personally like the Europeans, Niemi and Karlsson, and I think one of Lalande, Ness, or Goloubef will almost certainly still be available too, all potential choices.

If I had to predict who the Panthers will take at 40th overall, I'd say McCollum, if not, then Lalande. Still too early to tell.
I'd love to get Lalonde, He seems like he could go under the weather but whenever I watch him he looks great.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Bross View Post
For the most part, I agree with MisterBouw. I think McCollum has a reasonable chance of lasting that long, and would satisfy the Panthers organizational needs the most (seems to me he's well ahead of Pickard too, though thats just my feeling). I also think there are several defensemen to take, if thats what the Panthers want to do: I personally like the Europeans, Niemi and Karlsson, and I think one of Lalonde, Ness, or Goloubef will almost certainly still be available too, all potential choices.

If I had to predict who the Panthers will take at 40th overall, I'd say McCollum, if not, then Lalonde. Still too early to tell.
I pretty much totally agree. I have McCollum well ahead of Pickard too, I think McCollum could potentially be a franchise goalie. Those two just comprise the first tier of N.A. goalies for this draft IMO. If we choose to pick a goalie, I think one of those two or Markstrom will still be available, which excites me. I could see some teams having Pickard on the top of their list as well.

Karlsson sounds really good, we'll see if Martin goes that route. We were already burned by a small offensive defenseman(Murphy), but of course they're different players, so I guess it really depends on the individual player. But if Martin has the choice between a small offensive d or an offensive d with size, IMO he'd choose the one with size(Lalonde). Ness I think won't last past the first round.

Your predictions I agree with. If not a goaltender, it'll be Lalonde.

Old
06-11-2008, 03:38 PM
hoax15

Just remembered that we have tampa's 2nd round draft pick don't we?? And I think we traded our 2nd so we got #31 instead of #40.

Old
06-11-2008, 03:53 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Just remembered that we have tampa's 2nd round draft pick don't we?? And I think we traded our 2nd so we got #31 instead of #40.
http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=365729
article shows the offical draft order and our selections places. And Yes we do have the 31 overall pick !!
Misterbouw I guess this improves our chances to get someone good

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:22 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
article shows the offical draft order and our selections places. And Yes we do have the 31 overall pick !!
This is pretty sweet. Too bad we had to throw away our third for nothing. We need to pick the best player available with the 31st pick.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:53 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
This is pretty sweet. Too bad we had to throw away our third for nothing. We need to pick the best player available with the 31st pick.
A lot of great two-way players will be available i believe around 30-40.

Old
06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Typical Panthers article. That's wrong. Nashville has the #31 pick.

Old
06-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Panthers_Fan

The main NHL.com has the Panthers at 31 too. You sure it's a mistake?
http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/sel...t.aspx?round=2

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
IanB

This is certainly interesting considering every mock draft I've seen has Nashville at #31. I thought they picked there as well.

However, this is the way it breaks down:

- Vokoun was acquired by Florida in exchange for a 1st and 2nd round pick in '07, and an additional 2nd in either '07 or '08 (Nashville's decision - they opted for the 2nd in '08.)
- Gratton was sent to Tampa Bay for a 2nd round pick in '07 or '08 (Florida's decision - they opted for the 2nd in '08, their only 2nd round pick in '07 was Repik).

So, Nashville gets Florida's 2nd round pick in '08. Florida gets Tampa Bay's 2nd round pick in '08. I'm not sure how this confusion came about, but I imagine it would have to be because people forgot about the Gratton trade. Otherwise, I'm still missing something, because it seems pretty cut and dry to me.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
Our pick is #31.

Cats Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote