HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft

Old
06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
JovoCop

vCash: 500
Here is what I wrote over on the OPMB

LOVE the first pick. I've been wanting a young goalie for the longest time. Plante and Shantz aren't anything special, heck, they may never be NHL'ers. They just aren't that good. I wanted to see a top notch goalie be taken the last few years, but value just didn't meet need, I guess. But, now, the Panthers have a young, stud goalie. SOME thought this kid would be real good. Definitely has some experience playing for the U18 Sweed team. HFRadio had him as the 20th overall prospect and second overall goalie.

The second pick looks good. I haven't seen him but have read about him. Again, I like the pick simply because it addresses a real need in the system for depth. Other than Ellerby and Welch, does this team have a good, young, projected defender? No. He reads as a PP QB type of defender...I like it. Give him a few years to develop some aggression (because he has size)...ya never know. HFRadio has this kid as the 22nd best player on the board and 9th overall defensemen.

Now, of course this is all depends on if they develop...its draft day, you just hope for the best from these guys.

As for the third pick...I like it. The Panthers are LOADED (well, considering...) with forward talent in the system but lack any real defense talent outside of Ellerby and Welch. LaPoint and Caruso are developing, but hardly anything to write home about and Lojek isn't really a good talent. Robak is the PP type of defender and Comrie has a high ceiling from all of the reports.

All of these kids are years out from being anything more than prospect fodder and discussion for the future...so we'll see in time. I just like the focus and effort to improve on defense all around. In the past day, the Panthers added four defenders, three of which has excessively high upside (Ballard, Robak, Comrie). Yeah, two of them came at the expense of that excessively lop sided trade of Olli-to-Phoenix, but I'm trying to see the silver lining.

JovoCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
That's a joke right?

Because Shantz was really going to do tons for this organization...

Oh wait, same with Plante. Plante sucked it up big time in the AHL. Couldnt hold the #1.

Both are completely useless goaltending prospects and besides that one russian, this was a very smart move.
Whats wrong with you. You dont draft for need you draft the best player available. This has nothing to do with Shantz or Plante.

Im just saying I dont like Markstrom pick. I think there are much better goalies available later than this. Yes, our goalie prospects suck. Again.. dont draft for need.

Overall... I think there were many better players available at #31 than Markstrom.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Cats pick LW - AJ Jenks with pick 100.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:00 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
We just got a GREAT pick in A.J. Jenks. Great at face offs and look at this development:

06-07 68gp: 9g-14a-23p
07-08 68gp: 26g-29a-55p

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
We just got a GREAT pick in A.J. Jenks. Great at face offs and look at this development:

I would bet Peter Deboer had a lot to do with this pick. Nice drafting today.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
It'll take a few years to tell but yes, it looks like we've made some really nice picks...guys that were ranked much higher that have fallen in our lap.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:05 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm sure the scouts are asking deboer about everyone seeing as he's played with those people for many years and knows all the kids in the OHL basically.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Holy krap!!! We pick A.J. Jenks in the 4th. He was supposed to be a late 1st/2nd rounder. He's a big power forward type and supposedly has good hands and crashes the net. C/LW from what I've heard.

I like what E.J. Maguire just said about him in the draft profile they just showed. EJ knows his stuff. And Craig Button just said he thinks this was an excellent pick for us. And DeBoer was just interviewed on the floor. Didn't say anything about the picks, but it made me think and I have to think he might have had some influence on the Comrie and Jenks picks. Awesome draft today by Luce and the boys!!!!! I really like our last two drafts.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Holy krap!!! We pick A.J. Jenks in the 4th. He was supposed to be a late 1st/2nd rounder. He's a big power forward type and supposedly has good hands and crashes the net. C/LW from what I've heard.

I like what E.J. Maguire just said about him in the draft profile they just showed. EJ knows his stuff. And Craig Button just said he thinks this was an excellent pick for us. And DeBoer was just interviewed on the floor. Didn't say anything about the picks, but it made me think and I have to think he might have had some influence on the Comrie and Jenks picks. Awesome draft today by Luce and the boys!!!!! I really like our last two drafts.

If you include this one, i would say 3 drafts. The last two drafts were our best drafts ever, considering where we were picking. This one we didnt even have a first rounder and thanks to Gratton and some nifty picking we have really stepped up.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:12 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

So far, this has been a solid, solid draft. I like it.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:14 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
So far, this has been a solid, solid draft. I like it.
Same.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Def like all the draft picks so far, it fills our needs for sure in Net and on defense since were not very deep in the prospect pool for either positions. I like the A.J. pick a lot the kid seems to be in the mold of the typical power forward.

Jeff Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
If you include this one, i would say 3 drafts. The last two drafts were our best drafts ever, considering where we were picking. This one we didnt even have a first rounder and thanks to Gratton and some nifty picking we have really stepped up.
I'm not that high on the 2006 draft. Frolik was a great pick at #10, but I didn't and still don't like the Calla pick. LaPoint seems to be a good pick in the 4th round. Same with Caruso, but only thing with him is I don't see him as ever being more than a bottom pairing guy. Aston, what the heck was that? I still dont understand that one. The only possible thing I can think of is it was to add immediate depth to our blueline in the AHL, which needed it badly. And Marc Cheverie, we'll see how he does next season as a starter at Denver U. His stats in the BCHL and in college so far have been pretty good. Hopefully he turns into something. But all in all, not a very good draft IMO. Last year and this year though, I think have been REALLY SOLID drafts. I was wondering whether or not Luce was getting the job done and was waiting for the result of this draft to form an opinion on whether or not I'd like to see him replaced. Now, I definitely want him to stay as head amateur scout.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Booth10

Quote:
I'm not that high on the 2006 draft. Frolik was a great pick at #10, but I didn't and still don't like the Calla pick. LaPoint seems to be a good pick in the 4th round. Same with Caruso, but only thing with him is I don't see him as ever being more than a bottom pairing guy. Aston, what the heck was that? I still dont understand that one. The only possible thing I can think of is it was to add immediate depth to our blueline in the AHL, which needed it badly. And Marc Cheverie, we'll see how he does next season as a starter at Denver U. His stats in the BCHL and in college so far have been pretty good. Hopefully he turns into something. But all in all, not a very good draft IMO. Last year and this year though, I think have been REALLY SOLID drafts. I was wondering whether or not Luce was getting the job done and was waiting for the result of this draft to form an opinion on whether or not I'd like to see him replaced. Now, I definitely want him to stay as head amateur scout.
They didnt really have many picks that year. They didnt have a second. So getting Calla, LaPoint and Caruso in the the 3rd and 4th rounds is good drafting i would think. Wouldnt you take LaPoint and Caruso again in that position? Caruso was an All Star and LaPoint is showing he has a lot of potential.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Jeff Shafer

7th round we took defensemen MATTHEW BARTKOWSKI plays for USHL LINCOLN

Old
06-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Jeff Shafer

a little info on Bartkowski from the Pittsburgh post gazette.
MATT BARTKOWSKI

SCHOOL: Mt. Lebanon

WHO IS HE? A 6-foot-1, 190-pound senior and one of the top defensemen in district hockey.

LAST WEEK: Bartkowski helped Mt. Lebanon win the Meadville Bulldog Invitational and was named to the all-tournament team. Mt. Lebanon allowed only four goals in five games in the tournament -- and Bartkowski was one of the main reasons.

"We have some players who also play amateur hockey, so we were without five of our top six forwards," said Mt. Lebanon coach Paul Taibi. "In the semifinals and finals, Matt probably played probably 87 minutes out of 90. You don't see that too often."

DEFENSIVE-MINDED: Mt. Lebanon is 33-1-3 overall and 13-0 in PIHL play. The Blue Devils have allowed 12 goals in the PIHL games. Mt. Lebanon also has a high-scoring offense, with 96 goals in PIHL games.

"He's definitely one of the main reasons we haven't given up many goals," Taibi said. "I think what makes him exceptionally good is his balance is unbelievable. Players try to hit him, and they end up falling down. Someone said to me one time, 'It's like trying to hit a Zamboni.' "

MUSICAL DEFENSEMAN: Bartkowski used to play the cello in Mt. Lebanon's orchestra. "After 10th grade, I gave that up," Bartkowski said. "It was just getting to be too much with all the hockey."

"How about that?" Taibi said. "You have a kid who plays the cello, just smashing people all over the ice."

THE OTHER STUFF: Bartkowski is an excellent student with a 4.0 grade point average. He would like possibly to major in engineering in college, but has not decided on a school.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpanthers87 View Post
7th round we took defensemen MATTHEW BARTKOWSKI plays for USHL LINCOLN
Great choice, look at this development:

06-07 57gp: 3g-6a-9p Playoffs: 3gp: 0g-0a-0p
07-08 60gp: 4g-37a-41p Playoffs: 8gp: 1g-4a-5p

Old
06-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Great choice, look at this development:

06-07 57gp: 3g-6a-9p Playoffs: 3gp: 0g-0a-0p
07-08 60gp: 4g-37a-41p Playoffs: 8gp: 1g-4a-5p
yeah thats pretty amazing... i'm excited... he's an offensive defensemen. he's got size at 6'1 203

Old
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I'm very happy with the Robak pick. I was frustrated with the goalie at first, but since we got Robak anyways I'm happy.

Now hopefully Stone lasts until we pick next.

I wish they would announce the picks in the trades after day 1.

Never be frustrated by a Swede especially a projected top notch one

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:45 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

Real nice progress, hopefully he can contribute.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:50 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Never be frustrated by a Swede especially a projected top notch one
I don't like Swedes in general cause I really hate IKEA and I hate watching the Swedish hockey team, I'm not a fan of Sundin, Huselius or Eriksson and I just generally don't like the Red Wings. (every Swedish person I've met though has been really nice).

I just thought there were better players available than the Swedish goalie, like Robak. However since we ended up getting Robak anyways, then I'm happy with the goalie pick, since I would have been happy if our picks had been the other way around.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I don't like Swedes in general cause I really hate IKEA and I hate watching the Swedish hockey team, I'm not a fan of Sundin, Huselius or Eriksson and I just generally don't like the Red Wings. (every Swedish person I've met though has been really nice).

I just thought there were better players available than the Swedish goalie, like Robak. However since we ended up getting Robak anyways, then I'm happy with the goalie pick, since I would have been happy if our picks had been the other way around.
Are you part Finnish?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
They didnt really have many picks that year. They didnt have a second. So getting Calla, LaPoint and Caruso in the the 3rd and 4th rounds is good drafting i would think. Wouldnt you take LaPoint and Caruso again in that position? Caruso was an All Star and LaPoint is showing he has a lot of potential.

We had 5 picks in 7 rounds, the same as we had this year. And then we traded for one(LaPoint). Calla was just not a good pick IMO. They could have done better than him with an early 3rd. LaPoint was a good pick. Caruso was a good pick for a 4th, but he's really nothing to get excited about. His upside is limited IMO, I'll drop dead from shock if he ever becomes a top 4 guy. Yes, he was an OHL All-Star, but that doesn't mean he'll be a good NHLer or even a decent one. Plenty of CHL stars never even get drafted and never make it to the NHL. It was an average draft for us at best, really. Nothing like the last two years.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Booth10

Quote:
We had 5 picks in 7 rounds, the same as we had this year. And then we traded for one(LaPoint). Calla was just not a good pick IMO. They could have done better than him with an early 3rd. LaPoint was a good pick. Caruso was a good pick for a 4th, but he's really nothing to get excited about. His upside is limited IMO, I'll drop dead from shock if he ever becomes a top 4 guy. Yes, he was an OHL All-Star, but that doesn't mean he'll be a good NHLer or even a decent one. Plenty of CHL stars never even get drafted and never make it to the NHL. It was an average draft for us at best, really. Nothing like the last two years.
Besides Repik and Ellerby, why do you like that draft so much? Just wondering.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Besides Repik and Ellerby, why do you like that draft so much? Just wondering.
Dadonov is a very talented playmaking forward with great vision and creativity. He's small, like 5'9" 170, but he's absolutely fearless, he goes into the corners, drives the net, and even dishes out hits of his own to much bigger players. I really like his potential, he's coming to training camp this year but going back to Russia for one more year, then next camp I think he will have a good shot at making the team. Look at his numbers in the RSL, they are great for a player his age.

Matt Rust played for the US in this year's WJC. And he plays for Michigan and put up good numbers this year for a freshman, but probably the strength of his game is his faceoff prowess and his defensive shutdown ability.

John Lee made the USHL All Rookie first team this season. Little brother of Ottawa Senator John Lee, good bloodlines.

Cory Syvret is a very smooth skating, two-way defenseman that leans more toward offense. He played on the first PP unit with Drew Doughty this season on the Guelph Storm. He was the guy who often set up Doughty for shots, he's a slick passer. And he also has a good shot of his own. VERY GOOD 6th round pick. Also good bloodlines, his older brother is a Flyers' prospect who's seen some NHL games.

Ryan Watson is supposedly a hard working two-way, extremely tough forward. Forget which school he plays for. Put up OK numbers for a freshman in a defensive role. Maybe nothing to get excited about, but for a 6th rounder what I've heard about him is decent.

Sergei Gayduchenko is a mammoth sized goalie who has already done well in international competition and was a starter in the RSL at age 18. Drew praise from his coach early last year, his coach called him the best player on the team. Haven't followed his stats all the way through last season, will have to check on those sometime. He made the Russian WJC team this year, but didn't get into any games.