HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salo's benching

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2004, 09:26 AM
  #1
Obsessed
Registered User
 
Obsessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Devon, AB
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Salo's benching

Pure hopeful speculation that the reason Salo has been benched is because they dont want him to get injured while there is a deal in the works to see him leave Oil town?

Lets just imagine the possibility because it feels good to think about it.

Salo has played better. The Chicago game he made several highlight real saves. You can't blame the LA game on him because the whole team crapped the bed on that night. So where does the reasoning for his benching become evident? I dont think it is because of his play. I think he has his ticket punched.

Thanks for the memories Tommy. Its been nice.

Obsessed is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 09:41 AM
  #2
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Dunham is stinking out the joint. 4 gaa against minnesota who haven't scored 4 goals in one game since they were the North Stars. The rangers' cupboard is pretty bare but Salo and Oates for a prospect like Tjutin or a pick could work for both teams.

Salo has played pretty decent in his last 15 games so a team looking for a short term solution could be talking to Lowe. The only other goalie out there is burke because it looks like Kolzig and Khabibullin are off the market.

Mr Sakich is online now  
Old
02-05-2004, 09:42 AM
  #3
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Pure hopeful speculation that the reason Salo has been benched is because they dont want him to get injured while there is a deal in the works to see him leave Oil town?

Lets just imagine the possibility because it feels good to think about it.

Salo has played better. The Chicago game he made several highlight real saves. You can't blame the LA game on him because the whole team crapped the bed on that night. So where does the reasoning for his benching become evident? I dont think it is because of his play. I think he has his ticket punched.

Thanks for the memories Tommy. Its been nice.
He didn't do the Oilers any favours in L.A. either... and then Conks went in and had a very solid game against the Ducks...

The Oilers are out of choices... they need to ride the hot goalie from here on out.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 09:49 AM
  #4
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
I don't think Salo will garner much - but I'd love to see Salo for Markkanen straight up. It would fill the hole in the net for the rest of the season, and it would give the Rangers an experienced starter.

Allan is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 10:00 AM
  #5
kyle
Registered User
 
kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I don't think Salo will garner much - but I'd love to see Salo for Markkanen straight up. It would fill the hole in the net for the rest of the season, and it would give the Rangers an experienced starter.
.. we HAD Markkanen. How good of a year is Leetch having? Will we get a decent 2nd round pick out of it? Didn't we trade Markkanen for Leetch straight up?

I'd like to see Blackburn but I doubt it will happen.

kyle is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 10:02 AM
  #6
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Unless the Oil get a decent goalie in return, they can kiss the postseason goodbye for good if Salo is moved now. Thats not even debatable.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 10:02 AM
  #7
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
It doesn't matter how good a year Leetch is having. The only determining factor in that is his salary. I just think that at this point, getting Markkanen back would be better than a mid round pick.

Allan is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 10:04 AM
  #8
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Unless the Oil get a decent goalie in return, they can kiss the postseason goodbye for good if Salo is moved now. Thats not even debatable.
Have to agree here. When Salo is hot, Conklin doesn't come close, and the Oilers are going to need a sharp Salo for the next few months if they want a sniff.

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 10:14 AM
  #9
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It doesn't matter how good a year Leetch is having. The only determining factor in that is his salary. I just think that at this point, getting Markkanen back would be better than a mid round pick.
I just looked it up. Leetch is making $6.6 million. Where the compensatory pick will be is based on how that compares with other UFAs, but it should be a second rounder, because there couldn't be many with a higher salary than that. I don't know his salary for sure, but they got a second rounder for Richter, and I'm pretty sure he was making less than that.

Allan is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:03 AM
  #10
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
based on previous years, the oil will get a pick around 45th overall. Assuming they finish around 15th overall, then this means the oil get 4 of the top 45 picks this year.

Mr Sakich is online now  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:14 AM
  #11
Obsessed
Registered User
 
Obsessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Devon, AB
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Agreed that Salo is a great goalie when he is on his game. He almost single handely carried us into the playoffs his first year here taking over for Essensa. However he isn't that goalie anymore. He plays in flashes and I for one cannot stomach anymore weak goals in the final moments of critical situations.

Salo can get us another pick or prospect or be coupled with another streaky player such as Chimera for a young unproven fringe player.

Either way I would rather see Conklin develop that watch Salo struggle and be critisized.

Obsessed is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:19 AM
  #12
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Have to agree here. When Salo is hot, Conklin doesn't come close, and the Oilers are going to need a sharp Salo for the next few months if they want a sniff.
I guess we both see 2 different goalies then. When I'm getting ready to watch a game in which Conklin is the starter, I have 100% in him and the fact that he could steal a game for the Oilers. IF Salo is traded and I really think at this point it's a big IF, I would be disappointed to see him go because he like to play in Edmonton and has been a good goalie for the team. I do however think Conks could pickup the slack.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:47 AM
  #13
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
I can't wait

to see a new goalie in here carrying the mail just to see how the media and management react to him. Salo has flat out sucked for close to two full seasons now and until MacT made those statements on Mon, nary a word had been said.

The Edm media is soft anyway. They write what Lowe allows them to write. But maybe they'll give the next goalie a soft treatment as well.

To think about how much he's making and how poorly he's played and the fact that Lowe brought him back again this season?

It's something that should've been mentioned everytime he played a bad game.

Matts is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:55 AM
  #14
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,856
vCash: 500
How is it Salo lets in 3-4 goals and gets benched, but almost EVERY GAME Conks plays he lets in 3-4 and is praised. I don't get it , is it the salary concerns? I think Salo has been better then Conks and deserves our support. Until he is traded, he is the Oilers number 1 guy.

I still support Salo

s7ark is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:57 AM
  #15
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
to see a new goalie in here carrying the mail just to see how the media and management react to him. Salo has flat out sucked for close to two full seasons now and until MacT made those statements on Mon, nary a word had been said.

The Edm media is soft anyway. They write what Lowe allows them to write. But maybe they'll give the next goalie a soft treatment as well.

To think about how much he's making and how poorly he's played and the fact that Lowe brought him back again this season?

It's something that should've been mentioned everytime he played a bad game.
So in otherwords, the second a guy has a bad season, you write him off and get rid of him?

Wow... that would leave a lot of good players out in the dust, and a lot of bought out contracts.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:59 AM
  #16
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Pure hopeful speculation that the reason Salo has been benched is because they dont want him to get injured while there is a deal in the works to see him leave Oil town?

Lets just imagine the possibility because it feels good to think about it.

Salo has played better. The Chicago game he made several highlight real saves. You can't blame the LA game on him because the whole team crapped the bed on that night. So where does the reasoning for his benching become evident? I dont think it is because of his play. I think he has his ticket punched.

Thanks for the memories Tommy. Its been nice.
What do you mean you can't blame the LA game on Salo. The team only allowed 17 shots and Tommy let in 4 goals. Who else do you blame? Any other NHL goalie (including backups) would have given you the W. We are only kidding ourselves if we think anybody would take Salo and his 3.9mil contract. He is the worst goalie in the NHL bar none. I hate to pick on the guy because for the most part I have supported him throughout his tenure here in Edmonton. It took game 6 against Dallas for me to finnaly see the light. Two goals were scored from BEHIND THE NET when the Oilers were completely dominate in that game. I have said this before but if we had a half decent goalie (Say a Martin Biron who is curretly available) we would be in a playoff position right now. The Nashville game is another example. Biggest game of the year Oilers outshoot Nashville 16-3 in the first period and are down 2-0. The next day the town is calling for Mact's head saying the team wasn't ready to play. This scenario has happened all to often with Tommy. My suggestion... make a deal for a goalie aka Martin Biron, and then put Salo on waivers. He could go down to Toronto and help the roadrunners sell tickets. Come April we'll be in the playoffs, stay with the goalie situation we have and we there is no chance! (no dis-respect to Conklin who one day might be a NHL #1, but for now is a decent back-up).

AVE MAN is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:03 PM
  #17
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
How is it Salo lets in 3-4 goals and gets benched, but almost EVERY GAME Conks plays he lets in 3-4 and is praised. I don't get it , is it the salary concerns? I think Salo has been better then Conks and deserves our support. Until he is traded, he is the Oilers number 1 guy.

I still support Salo
Exactly. I've brought this up in the past. A team can mail in three goals before the game if Conklin is in net. He always lets in 3 or more. Sure he is able to handle quite a bit of shots, but what good is it if you can never shut the door on the opposition?
Sure Salo has some weak games where he lets in 3 or 4 as well, but the games where he is playing well he is letting in 0-2 while Conklin consistently lets in 3. If the Oilers do in fact trade Salo, hopefully a Biron type goalie is coming back this way.

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:05 PM
  #18
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
What do you mean you can't blame the LA game on Salo. The team only allowed 17 shots and Tommy let in 4 goals. Who else do you blame? Any other NHL goalie (including backups) would have given you the W. We are only kidding ourselves if we think anybody would take Salo and his 3.9mil contract. He is the worst goalie in the NHL bar none. I hate to pick on the guy because for the most part I have supported him throughout his tenure here in Edmonton. It took game 6 against Dallas for me to finnaly see the light. Two goals were scored from BEHIND THE NET when the Oilers were completely dominate in that game. I have said this before but if we had a half decent goalie (Say a Martin Biron who is curretly available) we would be in a playoff position right now. The Nashville game is another example. Biggest game of the year Oilers outshoot Nashville 16-3 in the first period and are down 2-0. The next day the town is calling for Mact's head saying the team wasn't ready to play. This scenario has happened all to often with Tommy. My suggestion... make a deal for a goalie aka Martin Biron, and then put Salo on waivers. He could go down to Toronto and help the roadrunners sell tickets. Come April we'll be in the playoffs, stay with the goalie situation we have and we there is no chance! (no dis-respect to Conklin who one day might be a NHL #1, but for now is a decent back-up).
Common. I was at the game, and besides that one pretty weak goal Salo let in the defence let him down on the majority of them. Having Pisani crash into you before that last goal helps too. The Oilers don't know how to operate under pressure, and that is what has made them lose so many games in the last minute of play this year.

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:10 PM
  #19
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Exactly. I've brought this up in the past. A team can mail in three goals before the game if Conklin is in net. He always lets in 3 or more. Sure he is able to handle quite a bit of shots, but what good is it if you can never shut the door on the opposition?
Sure Salo has some weak games where he lets in 3 or 4 as well, but the games where he is playing well he is letting in 0-2 while Conklin consistently lets in 3. If the Oilers do in fact trade Salo, hopefully a Biron type goalie is coming back this way.
Conklin.....2.43 GAA, .915 sv%, 10-10-4 record.
Salo.........2.57 GAA, .893 sv%, 12-15-4 record.

If what you say is true, how can the above be possible?

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:20 PM
  #20
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
How is it Salo lets in 3-4 goals and gets benched, but almost EVERY GAME Conks plays he lets in 3-4 and is praised. I don't get it , is it the salary concerns? I think Salo has been better then Conks and deserves our support. Until he is traded, he is the Oilers number 1 guy.

I still support Salo
100% accurate

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:20 PM
  #21
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Conklin.....2.43 GAA, .915 sv%, 10-10-4 record.
Salo.........2.57 GAA, .893 sv%, 12-15-4 record.

If what you say is true, how can the above be possible?
Exactly. Up to this point, Conklin has been the better goalie. Not ripping Salo, it's just a fact.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:31 PM
  #22
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Conklin.....2.43 GAA, .915 sv%, 10-10-4 record.
Salo.........2.57 GAA, .893 sv%, 12-15-4 record.

If what you say is true, how can the above be possible?
I'm talking about in the second half of the season of course. In first half Salo couldn't stop a beachball, and the defenceman were playing as well as I would playing on the Oilers. Conklin couldn't steal a game in the stretch where Salo was injured, and it was Salo that broke the horrible losing streak.

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:37 PM
  #23
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Conklin.....2.43 GAA, .915 sv%, 10-10-4 record.
Salo.........2.57 GAA, .893 sv%, 12-15-4 record.

If what you say is true, how can the above be possible?
The only problem with those stats is they dont tell the whole story. At the beginning, Salo was horrible (according to alot of people), his latest streak he was white-hot. Ty has been a consistent "so and so" to "ok". Those average out to be about thesame.

At the beginng Salo had Billy Ranford circa 92-93 numbers, and hes brought them back up to somewhat average. Ty has been consistently "so and so." Right now I still go with Salo.

And the LA game?? If Salo didnt have a screen on the Corvo goal, and Pisani in his lap on the Holland goal, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

windowlicker is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:03 PM
  #24
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
I'm not much for blaming a goalie for a loss but I will say that Salo did not show up on Saturday with the gamesmanship needed considering how important the game was.

I think first goal was very stoppable. If the Oil were 10 games over .500, securley in a playoff spot and playing a game during the dog days of the season, then the goal could be dismissed.

Considering the gravity of the game, I would expect the shot to be stopped plain and simple. I equate the first goal of every game from here on out (including Saturdays game against L.A.) to be the same as an overtime goal. The team doesn't need shut out hockey to win BUT because of the somewhat fragile state of the team right now, the goalie must must come up with the big saves up until the Oilers bend the twine (I think the Oilers were fortunate to come back on St. Louis yesterday, even though I do believe they deserved the win).

The second goal was bad, nothing more needs to be said.

The 3rd and 4th should not have even been an issue based on the fact that the first two (or even just1 of them) should not have been scored.

As for Conklin, I am not sold on him being the number one and when Salo is on his game, he is heads and tails above Ty. The one difference at this point seems to be that when Conklin gets the start, you know what to expect. He will likely let in two goals but will be solid otherwise.

Right now when Salo starts, you have no idea wether you are going to see a shut out performance or if your going to get an AHL performance.

At the very least, how the players approach the game must be affected when they know what to expect from the goalie VS when they don't know.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:08 PM
  #25
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
And the LA game?? If Salo didnt have a screen on the Corvo goal, and Pisani in his lap on the Holland goal, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Yeah and if these Darn NHLers would stop screening Tommy, and stop shooting the puck so hard and or at the very least wait till Tommy gets setup before they shoot, well then he'd be not bad. Bottom line is the bigger the game, the worse Tommy Salo is. We could try to find excuses for him, but its become tiresome over the last 3 years or so.

AVE MAN is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.