HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Support Don Cherry

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2004, 12:29 PM
  #1
Calgary_Moe
Registered User
 
Calgary_Moe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Support Don Cherry

Don Cherry is hired by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to analyze and share his opinions on their production of Hockey Night in Canada. I think it is unrealistic for people to believe it is going to be otherwise.

I concede that some people are lemmings and will do anything/ believe anything they are told, but lets give credit to the Canadian audience - Don Cherry's opinions are not law. Last time I checked hurt feelings weren't enough to launch a federal case. I stand corrected.


Support Don Cherry. Email the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages head office:

message@ocol-clo.gc.ca


I sent the above text with the subject: Stop harassing Don Cherry!

Moe

Calgary_Moe is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:52 PM
  #2
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
I don't support what Cherry said but I certainly don't support the French Canadians that are going out and saying what a pathetic man because you just know they're infact the same people that are chanting "Death to English Canada" and buying the books that come out that always seem to be on the best sellers list that on the other side of the racism. So the question is, where does that put me?

Savage is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
  #3
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I don't support what Cherry said but I certainly don't support the French Canadians that are going out and saying what a pathetic man because you just know they're infact the same people that are chanting "Death to English Canada" and buying the books that come out that always seem to be on the best sellers list that on the other side of the racism. So the question is, where does that put me?
Death to english Canada? Are you joking?
The few ones who are saying pathetic crap like this are as dumb as the few ones saying Québec is a piss hole full of frogs. Don't get confuse by people defending their culture and a few extremists. It goes from both sides. I also would like to know what are these books you're talking about?

Haddock is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:24 PM
  #4
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Savage, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but what do you mean ? What are you referring to ? I imagine that french Canada has roughly the same percentage of racists and a-holes as any other linguistic group.

mcphee is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:59 PM
  #5
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordiquesFan
Death to english Canada? Are you joking?
The few ones who are saying pathetic crap like this are as dumb as the few ones saying Québec is a piss hole full of frogs. Don't get confuse by people defending their culture and a few extremists. It goes from both sides. I also would like to know what are these books you're talking about?
One book which would be most obvious was mentioned in the other topic and that would be the book wrote by Normand Lester.

I understand your point and did not mean for it to come across as this is all of French speaking Canada. You do have to understand though, your statement in a "few" extremists is problem because you can hardly call it a "few" as you did. Is it the majority? No I certainly wouldn't say so but it's all certainly not a vast minority.

McPhee, I would certainly argue that they're the biggest racist linguistic group out there. I have nothing against French speaking Canadians that enjoy and love this country but I certainly have a problem with the ones that do not share my love for the country or the people in it for such a stupid reasons, just as I have a problem with any English speaking Canadian's like Don Cherry who make statements such as he did.

My point McPhee, is this really. It would seem that the same people that are castrating Cherry among the French speaking public are in some cases infact the same ones that make the same exact statements in the resverse role. I have a seriously problem with those people because they're saying the same exact things Cherry is saying just from the french point of view.

Savage is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
  #6
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I don't support what Cherry said but I certainly don't support the French Canadians that are going out and saying what a pathetic man because you just know they're infact the same people that are chanting "Death to English Canada" and buying the books that come out that always seem to be on the best sellers list that on the other side of the racism. So the question is, where does that put me?
Yeah, because all French Canadians are biggots, right?

All-Star is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:04 PM
  #7
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe
Don Cherry is hired by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to analyze and share his opinions on their production of Hockey Night in Canada. I think it is unrealistic for people to believe it is going to be otherwise.

I concede that some people are lemmings and will do anything/ believe anything they are told, but lets give credit to the Canadian audience - Don Cherry's opinions are not law. Last time I checked hurt feelings weren't enough to launch a federal case. I stand corrected.


Support Don Cherry. Email the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages head office:

message@ocol-clo.gc.ca I sent the above text with the subject: Stop harassing Don Cherry!

Moe
So I assume if he started talking about how Hitler had some good idea's you would still support him???? He is promoting hate. He is crossing lines that the CBC should not be allowing him to cross.

And this is being said by a guy who used to be one of the biggest Don Cherry fans in the country. I still have a personally autographed poster and other things given to me by Don, and was supposed to have lunch with him in the summer of '93 (I'm pretty sure it was '93) when he came up to Thunder Bay for a fishing trip (he ended up having to cancel his trip up here and my lunch).

I think Don Cherry can still be a great contributer on Hockey Night in Canada, but he needs someone to do the things Rose used to do, mainly tighten and loosen his chain depening on the situation,.

Darz is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
  #8
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Let me get one thing straight could someone please tell me what on earth they are all over cherry for? is it for the comment the french and euros?

Joey24 is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:11 PM
  #9
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Savage, I don't know what life experience makes you believe that racism is prevalent in Quebec. I don't want to get in a political debate as I'm no expert. I do know that you can be on the yes side, if you want to call it that, and not be racially biased. I live in Eastern Ontario and interact with Quebecers daily for business reasons. I have no idea who these individuals vote for but I'm comfortable in knowing that if they don't like me, it's because I'm a jerk and has nothing to do with my last name. I think you have some misconceptions. I can't remeber the last time I or anyone I was with was made to feel uncomfortable. People are people.

mcphee is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:16 PM
  #10
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Let me get one thing straight could someone please tell me what on earth they are all over cherry for? is it for the comment the french and euros?
Joey I think it's more of a straw that broke the camel's back sort of thing. It's the accumulation of years of snide remarks, purposefully mis-pronounced names and little shots here and there. I didn't actually hear his between periods remarks. He said something before the game about the Leaf games being the only time Anglos can express themselves, but in fairness I didn't hear it all and could have got it out of context. Jacques Demers actually started things when he got pissed and basically stated that Cherry should be held to the same standards as anyone else.

mcphee is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:21 PM
  #11
HABitude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Laprairie, dans la belle Province
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
I did exactly the opposite.

Just read the letter I just send to the Commissionner of Official Languages:

Dear Mr the Commisionner of Official Languages

Sorry for having to read another email but Don Cherry is wrong in his approach, for the future of canadians he have to make room for another hockey commentator. Mr Cherry's comments are racist and irrespectuous to say the least. It is a great offence on one of the 2 ethnic people that founded Canada. The national tv broadcasting mandate should not be worried about tv ratings. If people complain about Don Cherry being fired, they will probably watch Cherry in another tv show (private network). Mr Cherry can easyly be replaced by a hockey expert like Scotty Bowman who have great hockey knowlage, is respectuous with different cultures and show class. Don't forget how big is the influence Mr Cherry have over the young audience. This is not the way they should get influenced while they grow.

Sincerely yours,

My name

HABitude is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:23 PM
  #12
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Savage, I don't know what life experience makes you believe that racism is prevalent in Quebec. I don't want to get in a political debate as I'm no expert. I do know that you can be on the yes side, if you want to call it that, and not be racially biased. I live in Eastern Ontario and interact with Quebecers daily for business reasons. I have no idea who these individuals vote for but I'm comfortable in knowing that if they don't like me, it's because I'm a jerk and has nothing to do with my last name. I think you have some misconceptions. I can't remeber the last time I or anyone I was with was made to feel uncomfortable. People are people.
I'll just say I have expierence dealing with the current situation in debate at the moment. My "misconceptions" are infact related to things that have been said to me face to face by people I don't really care for. Should I allow a opinion of the few I have had to deal with affect my decision? No. Quite frankly, French speaking Canada should be applauded for the fact that for a certain political party has been becoming more of a none issue then ever before and the opinion of what now can be considered the a decent minority in Quebec is no longer relevant, much like Don Cherry's opinions. However, there is still those that believe in these ridiculous beliefs and all my point was that those people are the people I can't stand because they're saying the same thing in a reverse role.

Savage is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:33 PM
  #13
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
I'll give you that, Savage. As I've said there are extremists on both sides, but keep in mind that people speak for themselves, no one else. My point was that I've been treated by people in much the same manner regardless of their political beliefs. One side of the debate doesn't automatically assume a hatred of the other. I know that at least 2 of the posters in this thread are French Canadian and are pretty well aware that I'm not. I don't know who they vote for, but am confident that they would be happy to share a few cold ones with me, no matter what side they're on.

mcphee is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:43 PM
  #14
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
What if some french guy went on a national program and started blasting Upper Canada.

You have to think about the other side.

Sure a lot of people think what Cherry said, but YOU DONT SAY IT ON A NATIONAL (COAST TO COAST) BROADCAST.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:44 PM
  #15
HABitude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Laprairie, dans la belle Province
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I'll just say I have expierence dealing with the current situation in debate at the moment. My "misconceptions" are infact related to things that have been said to me face to face by people I don't really care for. Should I allow a opinion of the few I have had to deal with affect my decision? No. Quite frankly, French speaking Canada should be applauded for the fact that for a certain political party has been becoming more of a none issue then ever before and the opinion of what now can be considered the a decent minority in Quebec is no longer relevant, much like Don Cherry's opinions. However, there is still those that believe in these ridiculous beliefs and all my point was that those people are the people I can't stand because they're saying the same thing in a reverse role.
I don't know how old you are, if you want to know more about certain things like politics or different cultures, read serious books about history, politics, etc. Having a well-informed knowlage don't hurt. If your “misconceptions" are infact related to things that have been said to you face to face by people, it means you rely too much about individual conversations, maybe drunk in a bar. Not very informative, too much emotive.

You should read more history books with an open mind. And please stop calling the political ideas of the french minority a non issue or no longer relevant. You might not know it but as a speaking minority, we just want to survive with our culture. Mostly that's it, that's all. It explains why lot of quebecers wants to separate because the english canadians don't care about our culture and his survival. We don't want to be assimilated. There are english canadians who understand us (like mcphee and Darz ) but you will admit it's not the majority, like when I read your post.

HABitude is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:45 PM
  #16
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Don Cherry does not deserve any support.

He barely deserve to be on HNIC.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 02:58 PM
  #17
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Way to crack the code, genius.

Obviously it's my opinion!

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:00 PM
  #18
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Savage, I don't know what life experience makes you believe that racism is prevalent in Quebec. I don't want to get in a political debate as I'm no expert. I do know that you can be on the yes side, if you want to call it that, and not be racially biased. I live in Eastern Ontario and interact with Quebecers daily for business reasons. I have no idea who these individuals vote for but I'm comfortable in knowing that if they don't like me, it's because I'm a jerk and has nothing to do with my last name. I think you have some misconceptions. I can't remeber the last time I or anyone I was with was made to feel uncomfortable. People are people.

I've been to Montreal many, many times and I have found people to be excellent with me being an Anglo.. HOWEVER, I have been to Quebec City a few times and some smaller towns in the interior of Quebec and I have found the treatment of anglos quite appalling bordering on hostile. Everyone I have talked to has said the same thing with the exception of Ontario/Quebec border towns and Montreal. Suffice to say the furthest and only place I will ever go into Quebec now is Montreal.

shakes is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:02 PM
  #19
nordique
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I read that Jack Todd in the Montreal Gazette wrote that Don Cherry was an inbred moron, or something, and that was pretty spot on for the average Leafs fan.

I couldn't find the actual article...anyone?

 
Old
02-05-2004, 03:04 PM
  #20
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Way to crack the code, genius.

Obviously it's my opinion!
Well, someone could've thought it up for you.

Cherry's a very smart hockey man but he's incredably stupid outside of hockey and it shows in his recent comments.

You see, he was infact right about the fact the league can simply not allow half the league to wear visors and have the other half not. Quite frankly I'm on the no visor side as visors cause more injuries then they prevent or don't prevent and you can ask Nagy about that one. Where he went wrong is his "Euro's Frenchies" comment. Really if he would've just kept his mouth shut after making the original point he's making a very intelligent point but Cherry is simply Cherry and you know the old saying "You can't teach a old dog new tricks" and Cherry's proof of that fact.

Savage is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:15 PM
  #21
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
I've been to Montreal many, many times and I have found people to be excellent with me being an Anglo.. HOWEVER, I have been to Quebec City a few times and some smaller towns in the interior of Quebec and I have found the treatment of anglos quite appalling bordering on hostile. Everyone I have talked to has said the same thing with the exception of Ontario/Quebec border towns and Montreal. Suffice to say the furthest and only place I will ever go into Quebec now is Montreal.
I hear this from people but I just don't see it. I travel on busines to some pretty remote areas and I encounter people unable to speak English, but never rude about it. I usually travel with an American born Southern Ontario resident who brags about Quebec and how well he is treated in places like Chicoutimi,Quebec, Trois Pistoles etc. I think attitude has a lot to do with it. Meet people half way and there shouldn't be a problem. I recently participated in a seminar in Chicoutimi, given by 3 Americans. My presence was required to translate certain points that the customer might miss along the way, which in itself is funny because my French isn't the best. Things got chaotic, but everything was taken with good humour. That's what I've always found.

mcphee is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:16 PM
  #22
Tucker316*
 
Tucker316*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
...

Every province and place has a few idiots. Back in the referendum days the past deacde..I had french people who were anti-english and canadian physically attacking me for being english. They didnt even know my last name was french.
Kinda like craig rivet ya know.

But the majority of people in quebec are canadian through and through and canadian first over anything else they might label themselves. And it's those people that get mad at cherry because he makes all of us look like we're not proud to be from canada, and that pisses me off and alot of others off..he has to stop. Because those who are anti-canadian will use cherry's comments to start up more **** and this will all get very messy again. And then we can thank an outsider like cherry. He should be more responsible and less ignorant when he's on TV.

I've seen RDS and other french channels have guys who you could tell were kinda like cherry, except too french and quebec biased. it goes both ways.

But it should all stop, cuz in the end, as long as you're proud to be from canada, then this all shouldnt matter and we should all let others be..we're all proud canucks.

Tucker316* is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:18 PM
  #23
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Joey I think it's more of a straw that broke the camel's back sort of thing. It's the accumulation of years of snide remarks, purposefully mis-pronounced names and little shots here and there. I didn't actually hear his between periods remarks. He said something before the game about the Leaf games being the only time Anglos can express themselves, but in fairness I didn't hear it all and could have got it out of context. Jacques Demers actually started things when he got pissed and basically stated that Cherry should be held to the same standards as anyone else.
But I think people have to realise somthing. And that somthing is a little thing called Freedom of speach.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:22 PM
  #24
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
But I think people have to realise somthing. And that somthing is a little thing called Freedom of speach.
Yes, he can have his freedom of speach... but just not on national t.v.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:26 PM
  #25
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Cherry was a GOOD AHL coach.

Why do people keep going on and on about how he is a great hockey mind.

He isnt.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.