HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Support Don Cherry!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2004, 11:30 AM
  #1
Calgary_Moe
Registered User
 
Calgary_Moe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Support Don Cherry!

Don Cherry is hired by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to analyze and share his opinions on their production of Hockey Night in Canada. I think it is unrealistic for people to believe it is going to be otherwise.

I concede that some people are lemmings and will do anything/ believe anything they are told, but lets give credit to the Canadian audience - Don Cherry's opinions are not law. Last time I checked hurt feelings weren't enough to launch a federal case. I stand corrected.


Support Don Cherry. Email the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages head office:

message@ocol-clo.gc.ca


I sent the above text with the subject: Stop harassing Don Cherry!

Moe

Calgary_Moe is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:46 AM
  #2
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
I can't really support Cherry. Our tax paying dollars are paying for his bigotted views on air. I used to be amused by what he said but he just seems to be more and more out of touch with things as time goes on.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
  #3
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe
Don Cherry's opinions are not law. Last time I checked hurt feelings weren't enough to launch a federal case. I stand corrected.
What exactly did he say to prompt a federal lawsuit?

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:35 PM
  #4
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
I hate all this bloody politacal correctness. Because a guy is on TV, is his freedom of speech taken away? He has the right to say/think what he wants. Is what he said really so wrong?

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:42 PM
  #5
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
I hate all this bloody politacal correctness. Because a guy is on TV, is his freedom of speech taken away? He has the right to say/think what he wants. Is what he said really so wrong?
No, I think it's because he's employed by the government (CBC) and because taxpayers dollars pay his salary. If his employers don't want him to say certain things then they are well within their right to fire him.

I don't see how freedom of speech plays into this issue at all. If I insult a client then my boss will fire me. I am not free to say whatever I want and still keep my job. Same goes for Cherry.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:02 PM
  #6
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
No, I think it's because he's employed by the government (CBC) and because taxpayers dollars pay his salary. If his employers don't want him to say certain things then they are well within their right to fire him.

I don't see how freedom of speech plays into this issue at all. If I insult a client then my boss will fire me. I am not free to say whatever I want and still keep my job. Same goes for Cherry.
Is his boss a french man wearing a visor? If not, I don't see how your comparison is relivant. He was not insulting anyone in particular - just making a statement. If I couldn't make a statement at my workplace for fear of being fired, I sure as hell wouldn't want to work there anyway!

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
  #7
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
Is his boss a french man wearing a visor? If not, I don't see how your comparison is relivant.
You can't see the revelvance? His boss is the government. They have an interest in not offending large portions of the population. French people wearing visors pay his salary as do you and I.

What's surprising to me is that he's survived so long. He's said some pretty brutal things over the years and I don't think he should be doing it on the taxpayers dollar.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:13 PM
  #8
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
What exactly did he say to prompt a federal lawsuit?
He said something about the only people that wear visors are french and european...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
  #9
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
He was not insulting anyone in particular - just making a statement
I dunno that I can agree with that either. In the past he's basically stated his view that anybody who wears a visor is a wimp. Add this to the comments he's made and he's basically calling french players and europeans wimps.

It's an insult in my book.

Not to mention that he's basically stereotyping people by ethnicity. I would find it hard to believe that people actually want to support that mentality. It seems to be somewhat of a dubious claim as well. Someone could probably look up the numbers but I'm sure you'll find a lot of non-french North American players who wear visors.


Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 02-05-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 01:34 PM
  #10
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I dunno that I can agree with that either. In the past he's basically stated his view that anybody who wears a visor is a wimp. Add this to the comments he's made and he's basically calling french players and europeans wimps.

It's an insult in my book.

Not to mention that he's basically stereotyping people by ethnicity. I would find it hard to believe that people actually want to support that mentality. It seems to be somewhat of a dubious claim as well. Someone could probably look up the numbers but I'm sure you'll find a lot of non-french North American players who wear visors.
I could really care less about what he said - even if it has some credit. I just think that people let their panties get tied up in a knot too easily these days.

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:23 PM
  #11
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
He said something about the only people that wear visors are french and european...
Yeah, got that part, but if there's really a federal suit in the words, that's insane.

One time, Don Cherry was absolutely correct. When there was a (well-organized) backlash against the $10 million aid for small market Canadian teams, he had the right message. DC said that there was always money available for left wing "art." One quick tour of certain areas of the National Gallery in Ottawa confirms this view.

A lot of what he says is hot air, but he also knows the game.

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:31 PM
  #12
Heathen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Medicine Hat
Country: England
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Heathen Send a message via AIM to Heathen Send a message via MSN to Heathen Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I can't really support Cherry. Our tax paying dollars are paying for his bigotted views on air. I used to be amused by what he said but he just seems to be more and more out of touch with things as time goes on.
I totally agree. His an ignorant jackass... the sooner he's gone the happier I'll be.

Heathen is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:36 PM
  #13
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
It's Toronto this, Toronto that with him. He should have been canned a few years ago.

Why the hell is Bob Cole still calling games?

SedinFan* is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:11 PM
  #14
Cactus Jack
Registered User
 
Cactus Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I love Cherry, although he's a little too right wing and brash sometimes. The reason he will never get fired or really held back is because you can replace him. Coach's corner has a cult following, and has been a stable of CBC forever. You can't just replace Don Cherry, or else CBC wouldn't have kept him this long.

I hate people getting offended by things, even though I can sympathize. We all know Cherry's stance on things, so if he is so damned offensive, don't watch the 10 minutes of TV time he has a week. Simple. Done.

Cactus Jack is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 11:59 PM
  #15
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Yeah, got that part, but if there's really a federal suit in the words, that's insane.
It's because he's employed by a government owned corporation. They have every right to investigate bigoted statements made by one of their employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
One time, Don Cherry was absolutely correct. When there was a (well-organized) backlash against the $10 million aid for small market Canadian teams, he had the right message. DC said that there was always money available for left wing "art." One quick tour of certain areas of the National Gallery in Ottawa confirms this view.

A lot of what he says is hot air, but he also knows the game.
The majority of people were upset about money going to sports teams and made their feelings known. There wasn't a similar outcry from the public over money for art. It's called DEMOCRACY.

The Rage is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 12:01 AM
  #16
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack

I hate people getting offended by things, even though I can sympathize. We all know Cherry's stance on things, so if he is so damned offensive, don't watch the 10 minutes of TV time he has a week. Simple. Done.
This isn't like saying "if you don't like the WWE, don't watch it." Don Cherry is perpetuating certain stereotypes about certrain ethnic groups, and that could lead to negative consequences for those groups. That is wrong.

The Rage is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 08:25 AM
  #17
Zhackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Thing is Cherry's comments about visors may be accurate.

I did some very time consuming research looking at rosters and finding photographic evidence of those who wear visors. I have completed the Canadian teams and the Kings, Ducks, Isles and one other that eludes my memory

So far my findings are:

Europeans and French Canadians that wear visors outnumber players from other provinces and states 2-1.

Given Cherry's statement I can't say he was wrong. When I have finished compiling all research I will post my findings. Probably on Sunday. Stay tuned.

Zhackpot is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 08:44 AM
  #18
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Thing is Cherry's comments about visors may be accurate.

I did some very time consuming research looking at rosters and finding photographic evidence of those who wear visors. I have completed the Canadian teams and the Kings, Ducks, Isles and one other that eludes my memory

So far my findings are:

Europeans and French Canadians that wear visors outnumber players from other provinces and states 2-1.

Given Cherry's statement I can't say he was wrong. When I have finished compiling all research I will post my findings. Probably on Sunday. Stay tuned.

You must have alot of time
It's almost common sence that a higher percentage of Euro's and Quebecers wear visors, but what's the ratio on the Flames? Off my head Kobasew, Iggy, Yelle vs Saprykin, Gauthier.......................

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:05 AM
  #19
Zhackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
You must have alot of time
It's almost common sence that a higher percentage of Euro's and Quebecers wear visors, but what's the ratio on the Flames? Off my head Kobasew, Iggy, Yelle vs Saprykin, Gauthier.......................
Actually the Flames were very atypical, see below as more Albertans wear visors than any other province or country.

I am not agreeing with Grapes point of view about the wimps but I do believe age of players may have more to do with who wears a visor than who doesn't


Gauthier - Que
Lombardi - Que
Saprykin - Euro
Lydman - Euro

Iginla - Ab
Leopold - US
Kobasew - BC
Yelle - Ont
Betts - Ab
Sonnenberg - Ab
Reinprecht - Ab

Zhackpot is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:57 AM
  #20
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
The majority of people were upset about money going to sports teams and made their feelings known. There wasn't a similar outcry from the public over money for art. It's called DEMOCRACY.
The funds had already been made available in a budget. A well-organized effort to derail the process took place immediately. If majority was as upset as you sanctimoniously proclaim, the Finance Minister would've never even considered making the proposal from the beginning. No public outcry took place until activists made it seem as if it was going to harm the homeless in Toronto or farmers in Alberta (one insightful journalist actually made this point). Most people probably had no reservations until the controversy was shoved down their throats.

Cherry was well within his rights to criticize the political statements, masquerading as "art," which receives federal funding. Liberals/socialists would be the first to get the bullhorns out on Parliament Hill, if there was any public funding toward art, contrary to their views.

Note: If this thread starts getting too overtly political, posts will start to get vaporized. Another forum exists for discussions of this nature.

Badger Bob is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 12:03 PM
  #21
FLAMESFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Actually the Flames were very atypical, see below as more Albertans wear visors than any other province or country.

I am not agreeing with Grapes point of view about the wimps but I do believe age of players may have more to do with who wears a visor than who doesn't


Gauthier - Que
Lombardi - Que
Saprykin - Euro
Lydman - Euro

Iginla - Ab
Leopold - US
Kobasew - BC
Yelle - Ont
Betts - Ab
Sonnenberg - Ab
Reinprecht - Ab

Interesting - I didn't realize that we had so many players wearing visors.
Man Sutter must hate having to coach that many whimps!

FLAMESFAN is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:19 PM
  #22
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Actually the Flames were very atypical, see below as more Albertans wear visors than any other province or country.

I am not agreeing with Grapes point of view about the wimps but I do believe age of players may have more to do with who wears a visor than who doesn't


Gauthier - Que
Lombardi - Que
Saprykin - Euro
Lydman - Euro

Iginla - Ab
Leopold - US
Kobasew - BC
Yelle - Ont
Betts - Ab
Sonnenberg - Ab
Reinprecht - Ab
Here's the Habs visor-wearers:

Bulis Euro
Koivu Euro
Zednik Euro
Dackell Euro
Markov Euro
Sundstrom Euro
Ribiero Que
Juneau Que
Perreault Que
Brisebois Que
Boullion Que
Kilger Ont

Don't wear visor:

Dagenais Que
Quintal Que
Begin Que
Ryder Nfld
Langdon Nfld
Souray Alta
Ward Ont
Rivet Ont
Komisarek USA

Joe Malone is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 07:06 PM
  #23
slyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cantley, Canada
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
About Cherry; if you do not want to support that clown. Sent your complaints to www.cbc.ca or customer@mooresuit.com (Moore is the sponsor of Coach Corner).


Last edited by slyc: 02-06-2004 at 07:30 PM.
slyc is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 07:47 PM
  #24
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
Interesting - I didn't realize that we had so many players wearing visors. Man Sutter must hate having to coach that many whimps!
He'd like coaching the Oilers then.
Here's the visor-wearers on the Canadian teams:

Montreal Canadiens

Wears visor:

Bulis - Euro
Koivu - Euro
Zednik - Euro
Dackell - Euro
Markov - Euro
Sundstrom - Euro
Kilger - Ont
Ribiero - Que
Juneau - Que
Perreault - Que
Brisebois - Que
Boullion - Que

Doesn't wear visor:

Souray - Alta
Ward - Ont
Rivet - Ont
Dagenais - Que
Quintal - Que
Begin - Que
Ryder - Nfld
Langdon - Nfld
Komisarek - USA

Ottawa Senators

Wears visor:

Havlat - Euro
Alfredsson - Euro
Volchenkov - Euro
Hossa - Euro
Rachunek - Euro
Phillips - Alta
White - Ont
Spezza - Ont
Smolinski - USA

Doesn't wear visor:

Chara - Euro
Varada - Euro
Bonk - Euro
Simpson - BC
Redden - Alta
Van Allen - Alta
Schaefer - Sask
Hnidy - MTB
Neil - Ont
Fisher - Ont
Vermette - Que
Langfeld - USA
Pothier - USA

Toronto Maple Leafs

Wears visor:

Renberg - Euro
Reichel - Euro
Mogilny - Euro
Antropov - Euro
Ponikarovsky - Euro
Stajan - Ont

Doesn't wear visor:

Sundin - Euro
Kaberle -Euro
Berg - Euro
Pilar - Euro
Nolan - Belfast (...catagorized as Canadian)
Tucker - Alta (now due to injuries)
Belak - Sask
Roberts - Ont
McCabe - Ont
Nieuwendyk - Ont
Perrott - Ont
Marchment - Ont
Domi - Ont
Fitzgerald - USA
Klee - USA

Calgary Flames

Wears Visor:

Saprykin - Euro
Lydman - Euro
Kobasew - BC
Iginla - Alta
Betts - Alta
Sonnenberg - Alta
Reinprecht - Alta
Yelle - Ont
Gauthier - Que
Lombardi - Que
Leopold - US

Doesn't wear visor:

Oliwa - Euro
Montador - BC
Green - Alta
Regehr - Alta
McAmmond - Alta
Ference - Alta
Warrener - Alta
Loyns - Sask
Lowry - Ont
Donovan- Ont
Gelinas - Que
Clark - USA
Conroy - USA

Edmonton Oilers

Wears visor:

Radek Dvorak - Euro
Ales Hemsky - Euro

Doesn't wear visor:

Alexei Semenov - Euro
Igor Ulanov - Euro (...not since rejoining Oil)
Shawn Horcoff - BC
Eric Brewer - BC
Ryan Smyth - Alta
Brad Isbister - Alta
Jarret Stoll - Alta
Jason Smith - Alta
Cory Cross - Alta (Now due to injury.)
Jason Chimera - Alta
Fernando Pisani - Alta
Mike Bishai - Alta
Scott Ferguson - Alta
Steve Staios - Ont
Adam Oates - Ont
Raffi Torres - Ont
Ethan Moreau - Ont
George Laraque - Que
Mike York - USA
Marty Reasoner - USA

Vancouver Canucks

Visors:

Ohlund - Euro
Chubarov - Euro
Naslund - Euro
Arvedson - Euro
H. Sedin - Euro
D. Sedin - Euro
Morrison - BC
Sopel - AB
Keane - MTB
Cooke - ONT
Kesler - USA

Non-Visors:

Salo - Euro
Malik - Euro
Lindgren - Euro
Ruutu - Euro
Linden - AB
Bouck - AB
Brookbank - SASK
Allen - ONT
Bertuzzi - ONT
May - ONT
Jovanovski - ONT
Grenier - QUE
King - NFLD

Joe Malone is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 10:25 PM
  #25
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Cherry Is A Moron

tiredman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.