HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Game takes: Banged up, depleted Habs fail to show up as Leafs hurt draft pick

Old
03-29-2008, 10:59 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bégin is the bestest View Post
It seems Valentenko is injured, i never see his name in Hamilton boxscores.

the most ready player would be Jean-Philippe Côté but he has to be on waivers I think.
I think Biron would be the most NHL ready, considering his NHL experience.

Valentenko has been back for 5 games though.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Blades 0f Steel

This sums up how I feel about tonight

Habs are on the left.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
This game was the first game in my entire life where I fell asleep while watching. Twice no less. First period like 8 minutes in and then again in the second. Worst game ever. I wasn't even nervous or afraid when the Leafs had a powerplay. I hope to god the Habs don't play in a game like this ever again.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:42 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

That game was so boring I nearly dozed off. Not only that, complete lack of effort from our team. The O'Byrne hit though didn't seem like much of an elbow, more embellished. Losing him early hurt us, not only that, the whole penalties kept coming and disrupting our flow. Hard to build momentum when you go to the box every few minutes for stupid penalties.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:44 PM
kalessin

I'm glad the late game was so good that it made me almost forget how poor the first one was.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:54 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Brisebois and Dandy on D
Dandy didn't play D.. at least not much. Plus he scored a goal.

And Brisebois had an assist, a hit, a blocked shot and was a +2 tonight.

And Kovalev sucked for the majority of the game. He's been great for 95% of the season.. but tonight wasn't in that 95%.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 12:05 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Dandy didn't play D.. at least not much. Plus he scored a goal.

And Brisebois had an assist, a hit, a blocked shot and was a +2 tonight.

And Kovalev sucked for the majority of the game. He's been great for 95% of the season.. but tonight wasn't in that 95%.
I guess Dandenault will play as a dman in the next few games... and i think that's the decision the team has to take. He has a lot of experience and he's most probably better than biron and côté...

As for Brisebois, he will play regularly too...

gorges was -4 tonight... ouch.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
This game was the first game in my entire life where I fell asleep while watching. Twice no less. First period like 8 minutes in and then again in the second. Worst game ever. I wasn't even nervous or afraid when the Leafs had a powerplay. I hope to god the Habs don't play in a game like this ever again.
You're exactly right.I'm as devout as passionate Habs fans are,but tonight I could've spent my time better and use it for other great purposes.I regret to have sacrified it now to watch that anticlimatic and horrible game.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Kriss E

We lost Komi-Saku-Streit as of late. Im pretty sure a lot of stars are playing more carefully.
Can you imagine if Markov-Hamrlik or Kovalev got injured now as well?
All we need is 1pt to clinch division, and that's if Ottawa wins its next 3Games.
Im really not worried at all about tonight's game or Buffalo's.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post

I guess next time we hear someone say we would like "x" player to step up his game we should await Zamboni's reply defending that player, of course unless his name is Koivu.

I understand what you're trying to explain.However you should know that basic reading comprehension is not a strength for many people here,including a poster that I won't mention

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Stradale

Anybody was surprise to see Higgins not score on his penalty shot? I propose my cousin a 10:1 bet that Higgins will not score but he refuses cuz he was sure Higgins will miss it too.

He really needs to practice his shots and stickhandling.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Anybody was surprise to see Higgins not score on his penalty shot? I propose my cousin a 10:1 bet that Higgins will not score but he refuses cuz he was sure Higgins will miss it too.

He really needs to practice his shots and stickhandling.
I don't think its that... I think he just needs to practice breakaways....

he seems to get in too close before he decides what to do.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:38 AM
le_sean

Higgins needs to realize he has hands of stone and shift towards a Smyth-esque style of play, sacrificing his body and banging away at pucks in front of the net. He is great at protecting the puck down low, so he is obviously strong. He needs to park himself in front of nets and not move.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:38 AM
ari1160

missed the game. had work till 2am. am not pissed that we lost, but from most of you guys post, the habs didnt show up but we better win the last game of the season vs leafs, dont wana see leafs taking the series 5-3.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
missed the game. had work till 2am. did the refs give it a fare game or it was cheep? cause when ever we play in t.o the refs are with the leafs.
Tonight was no different. I think we had like 8 penalties, one of them being a 5 minute major on O'Byrne for a clean hit.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:41 AM
le_sean

Quote:
missed the game. had work till 2am. did the refs give it a fare game or it was cheep? cause when ever we play in t.o the refs are with the leafs.
It wasn't as bad as some previous games. The biggest blunder was O'Byrne getting 5 mins + game misconduct for a clean hit.

Other than that it was just poor play by the team that killed them.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
missed the game. had work till 2am. am not pissed that we lost, but from most of you guys post, the habs didnt show up but we better win the last game of the season vs leafs, dont wana see leafs taking the series 5-3.
Was bad reffing there were many pro-leaf calls

wasn't the reason we lost though.

Old
03-30-2008, 04:14 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I thought Grabovski looked very fast and worked hard defensively in his limited minutes. I don't think he had more than 11 minutes.

Gorges played his worst game of the season. On the ice for all four goals against.
Stats

First goal Gorges was cross-checked hard and knocked out of the play.

Second goal, the forward was on Hamrlik's side on a rush and his shot should have been stopped.

Third goal, Begin makes an unforgiveable lazy play to hand the puck to the Leafs on the other side of the ice and they walk in and blast a shot through Halak.

Fourth goal, Gorges is trying to do his job and tie up Sundin when a shot hits his skate and slices in over the shoulder - bad luck again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The PP tonight was proof that Streit contributes to its success, not just leeches off of it..... It was attrocious... a lack of shots and chances against one of the worst PK teams in the league.

We also got further proof of what an injury to Saku means to this team.... This brings up memories of the Carolina series.... Hopefully the news that this is nowhere near as serious (not career threatening) and that we could get him back late in the first round/early second round will be good for the team.... We also have time to regroup from it so that is good.
If Saku were a REAL leader, he would be able to get his team to play better when he is not present. Saku failed the team in the 2005-2006 playoffs, and he crapped out on them again last night.

Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Anyone see the O'Byrne elbow? I missed the play but I hear it was nothing. If it was bad enough to get a game misconduct, will we see a suspension?
When the play is reviewed at NHL HQ, as it must for a match penalty, the ref will be awfully embarassed. If anyone deserves to be disciplined for that penalty, it's the ref!

He doesn't raise his arm at the time of the hit, then decides to give 5-and-a-game when the player stays down on the ice. This is not how guys are taught to do their job.

Quote:
I think Biron would be the most NHL ready, considering his NHL experience.

Valentenko has been back for 5 games though.
Actually, Cote does not earn enough to require re-entry waivers. According to nhlnumbers.com, none of our guys in Hamilton need re-entry waivers this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Higgins needs to realize he has hands of stone and shift towards a Smyth-esque style of play, sacrificing his body and banging away at pucks in front of the net. He is great at protecting the puck down low, so he is obviously strong. He needs to park himself in front of nets and not move.
That's quite an exaggeration. The guy has had over 20 goals in each of his three seasons in the league.

It is more fair to say that he doesn't have the GREAT hands of a 40-50 goals scorer, but he's more than ok for a second line winger, really.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-30-2008 at 04:31 AM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
When the play is reviewed at NHL HQ, as it must for a match penalty, the ref will be awfully embarassed. If anyone deserves to be disciplined for that penalty, it's the ref!

He doesn't raise his arm at the time of the hit, then decides to give 5-and-a-game when the player stays down on the ice. This is not how guys are taught to do their job.
Agree 100%.... that was a particularly atrocious call in a game marred by a number of questionable calls.

Old
03-30-2008, 05:14 AM
TCIH

If Montreal can go the entire first period on Tuesday without having to kill a penalty, I'll consider the season a success.

Yeah, I'm exaggerating... Sort of.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 05:54 AM
HotPie

It's a shame really. McGeough and Fraser have already found their potential successor in Chris Lee.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 09:18 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
wow that was beyond brutal
our players getting hurt, refs crapping the bed as usual, 17 mins of pk and that bs call on o'byrne
we really suck against the laffs
I think we were 3-2-1 against them. Something to that effect. That's not sucking.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Montreal Shadow

The guys were off, I expected nothing less. It would just be a good thing if the team got 100pts yesterday and beat their best streak of only 4 straight wins but, whatever.

Seriously, Higgins at the beginning of this season and the last was good, but damn, I'm starting to think that guy is a bust.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
Seriously, Higgins at the beginning of this season and the last was good, but damn, I'm starting to think that guy is a bust.
Wow...just wow.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 10:18 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
We need more busts who call 25-25 an awful season.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote