HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nathan Moon

Old
03-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Canuck71

vCash: 500
Nathan Moon

Just wondering why Nathan Moon is rated so poorly on most scouting sites? In 68 games this year Moon put up 35 goals, 42 assists for 77 points at a +/- rating of -25.
He was rated #118 N.A Skater in CS midseason rankings, so I was just curious if his ranking has grown significantly or stayed the same?

He put up very good numbers on a Kingston team that wasnt good at all, but he did laso have the teams worst +/-. Because he is the teams best player and he is their go to guy he is always on the ice and I think thats the reason why his +/- is so bad. I dont think there is a problem with his defensive game at all.

Anyone else think this guy should be rated alot higher?

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 08:51 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
shhh... I want the hawks to nab him late... nothing to see here folks... delete this thread admins

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:07 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Just wondering why Nathan Moon is rated so poorly on most scouting sites? In 68 games this year Moon put up 35 goals, 42 assists for 77 points at a +/- rating of -25.
He was rated #118 N.A Skater in CS midseason rankings, so I was just curious if his ranking has grown significantly or stayed the same?

He put up very good numbers on a Kingston team that wasnt good at all, but he did laso have the teams worst +/-. Because he is the teams best player and he is their go to guy he is always on the ice and I think thats the reason why his +/- is so bad. I dont think there is a problem with his defensive game at all.

Anyone else think this guy should be rated alot higher?
Sometimes playing on a very bad junior team can really boost your stats because you get a lot more ice time then you would on a good team and somebody has to score in junior hockey. He's not very big and maybe scouts just don't think his game translates well to the pros. There have been tons of guys who put up big numbers in junior and never accomplished anything as a pro.

bruinsfan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Ten

It's not so much how you play as a junior, because teams don't draft you based on how you play in junior. They draft you because they like how your game will translate at the pro level.

And CS thinks 117 players will translate better at the pro level.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Not much to chip in as far as discussion goes, but I went to school with him up until last year, and really, he dominated in AAA. He was the talk of Belleville (despite playing in Kingston, but he grew up in Belleville and all), and everyone was pretty convinced that he was going pro no doubt. Pretty good guy, too, should be interesting to see how he ends up.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Brock

I don't really know what to make of Moon. I've seen him play a decent amount this year, but could never really get a handle on whether I liked him as an NHL prospect.

He's got a lot of skill, but he appears very one dimensional. From what I've seen he doesn't really back check, and he appears to be a bit of a perimeter player. He's also slightly undersized and not on the fast side. When I was trying to get a better handle on him as a player, I stumbled on to the Fronts message board. There wasn't a lot of kind words for him there (although in his defense, no player was receiving kind words...lol)

I think a major red flag as to whether hes generating a lot of interest from NHL clubs was his omission from the Top Prospects game. The NHL teams and their scouts pick the rosters for this game according to players they want to see perform. Moon was left off despite outscoring the vast majority of players there.

He reminds me a lot of current Brampton Battalion center John Hughes in his draft year. Hughes had 82 points for a Belleville Bulls team that finished 7th in the conference. He ended up being ranked 70th by CSB in the final rankings but ultimately went undrafted. This was mostly because of concerns with size, speed and one-dimensional play.

I remember watching Hughes play that season and coming off with a similar bland opinion of him. He'd put up some points, but I never really noticed him doing it, nor did he make me say wow, here is an NHL prospect. I get similar vibes from Moon.

I'll be honest here and say I'd be surprised if he goes higher than a late round selection, if at all in the 2008 draft.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote