HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ref's aren't calling the right penalties as far as I'm concerned..

Old
03-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Belso

vCash: 500
The Ref's aren't calling the right penalties as far as I'm concerned..

I know that some nights, Refs make weird calls, but that's two cross checks I've seen in the last week from behind that weren't called...

The first one I noticed that should have been called in my opinion was Begin on Savard. I thought there should have been a penalty.. But no, apparently it's ok to knock a guy down from behind with your sick.. Fine, Savard had the puck.. I let it slide.

But tonight I noticed Gorges in front of the net watching Sundin looking at the puck carrier and then Sundin levels him flat with a cross-check from behind and the Habs end up getting scored on while he's lying flat on his face. I don't remember Gorges having the puck. Why was he cross checked in his own zone when he didn't even have the puck? Isn't that interfernece? If you ask me, there should have been a penalty, not a goal..

That right there could have made a difference in the game..

But apparently, it's ok to hit a guy from behind with a blatant cross-check, even though your own team has possession of the puck..

What's up with that?

Is it just me? I missed a bunch of penalties tonight (there were a lot) because I was too busy chatting. Did the refs do other weird calls?

I'm telling you one thing, I expect there to be some controversial calls during the play-offs...

Refs

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:44 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I know that some nights, Refs make weird calls, but that's two cross checks I've seen in the last week from behind that weren't called...

The first one I noticed that should have been called in my opinion was Begin on Savard. I thought there should have been a penalty.. But no, apparently it's ok to knock a guy down from behind with your sick.. Fine, Savard had the puck.. I let it slide.

But tonight I noticed Gorges in front of the net watching Sundin looking at the puck carrier and then Sundin levels him flat with a cross-check from behind and the Habs end up getting scored on while he's lying flat on his face. I don't remember Gorges having the puck. Why was he cross checked in his own zone when he didn't even have the puck? Isn't that interfernece? If you ask me, there should have been a penalty, not a goal..

But apparently, it's ok to hit a guy from behind with a blatant cross-check, even though your own team has possession of the puck..

What's up with that?

Is it just me? I missed a bunch of penalties tonight (there were a lot) because I was too busy chatting. Did the refs do other weird calls?

I'm telling you one thing, I expect there to be some controversial calls during the play-offs...

Refs
How many PP's did the Leafs get and how many for the Habs? I didnt watch the game...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:45 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
How many PP's did the Leafs get and how many for the Habs? I didnt watch the game...
I think it was like 7-4 Toronto.

Add that holding penalty at the end of the game was just a horrible call.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Mathletic

Habs still played a crappy game. The Canadiens have stuggled all year long against the Leafs, good refs or not.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
O'Byrne 5 for elbowing?

He shoved him? A routine play that happens 3093907 times a game.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Bégin is the bestest*

it was the same yesterday vs Buffalo.

A buffalo dman pushed Ryder on Ryan Miller... Ryder got a penalty for goalie interference.

Bégin is the bestest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
O'Byrne 5 for elbowing?

Agreed. I'm still trying to find the elbow on that play. If you can call anything it's MAYBE boarding.

I still cannot fathom why that got an elbowing major AND a game misconduct.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Iwishihadacup

The NHL need to remove the pink glasses from the ref's eyes

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
O'Byrne 5 for elbowing?

The officiating in this league is atrocious. They will NEVER rival the other major sports until they clean it up.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Evil Ted

Its a league wide problem

Officating in the NHL is terribly inconsistant, the only time they keep it right is when they call nothing apparently.

Its not just the habs games its every game in general you dont know what your going to get.

The call on Obyrne was especially stupid I might add, maybe a 2 min minor or a double minor but 5 min and a game is way too much.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
Agreed. I'm still trying to find the elbow on that play. If you can call anything it's MAYBE boarding.

I still cannot fathom why that got an elbowing major AND a game misconduct.
His arm was up to give a body check.. But he's really tall.. What is he supposed to do? Crouch on all of his hits?

I only saw the replay. It was a borderline call.. I expect this with Komi and O'Byrne...

The ironic part is that the league implemented a second Ref to call the game better. Apparently, it doesn't work..

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-30-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old
03-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
His arm was up to give a body check.. But he's really tall.. What is he supposed to do? Crouch on all of his hits?

I only saw the replay. It was a borderline call.. I expect this with Komi and O'Byrne...
It wasn't even borderline, you're being extremely nice.
Its a completely clean check, he gets 5 plus game misconduct. Not even close to being a borderline call!..

Refs when we play vs Toronto are always even more bad for some reason.

I really don't understand how the refereeing doesn't ever seem to be a subject of discussion for NHL Execs or during GM Meetings..
I mean its completely ridiculous on some nights.

The funniest one for me is really the 4min penalty if the guy bleeds when highsticked. Some people will bleed quicker than others, and some areas are more sensitive. But the best part of this penalty is that 99% of the time, its completely accidental. Yet you automatically get called for this.
Meanwhile, a player will pretty much jump on the goalie and no call will be made.

The 2man referee system is a joke and is the main reason of inconsistency.
The balancing system is even a bigger joke, it takes away all the point of learning your players to be disciplined.
Whats the point right, cuz you know most of the time it will end by a pretty even number of penalties for both teams.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 12:57 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
The ironic part is that the league implemented a second Ref to call the game better. Apparently, it doesn't work..
I think it makes it worse...with the one ref system you would have the ref not call a hook on a team but won't call it on the other team as well to be fair, but with 2 refs now you have a ref who won't call a hook and another who will thus screwing a team. Plus with the 2 ref system you give a ref who doesn't have a great view of the play a chance to make a bad call...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 01:01 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:

What's up with that?

Refs

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 01:03 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Refs are bad...for everyone. They are so inconsistent it isn't funny. You don't even know what's a penalty anymore.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Stradale

And the non-obstruction/interference call on Higgins that would have led to a 2 on 1 for the Habs.

And Obyrne major penalty was ridiculous. Doesnt even worth a minor penalty IMO. Obyrne elbow was under his should, he was just finishing his check but the the Toronto was off-balance so he got injured. Again, the refs gave the penalty base on the injury.

I know its hard to be an nhl refs but damn are they incompetent. They are paid after all, thats their job.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 01:48 AM
CxHxIxExF

Well, so long as we're complaining about the refs, giving Higgins a penalty shot was a pretty borderline call, too. Tough to call that a clear-cut breakaway...

But the O'Byrne call, in particular, was horrible. Five and a game for being tall.

CxHxIxExF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Beakermania*

The refs are horrible for everyone this year.....

Its a league wide problem and someone is gonna get screwed in a big game....

I just hope it isn't us.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 03:58 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bégin is the bestest View Post
it was the same yesterday vs Buffalo.

A buffalo dman pushed Ryder on Ryan Miller... Ryder got a penalty for goalie interference.
Actually, Ryder was cross checked into a defenceman, and the defenceman bumped
into Miller, and Ryder was penalized.

O'Byrne's hit did indeed look totally routine, but he was penalized due to the player lying on the ice, I'm sure. I don't remember the official's arm gonig up immediately.

Perhaps Gorges should have lain prone on the ice for two minutes after getting cross-checked? OK, not really, since I don't like embellishment at all, but I can see why players do it sometimes given how often referees miss valid penalty calls.

Friday night was also frustrating. Hamrlik gets tripped by a stick under his skate, and the Sabres steal the puck and score the go-ahead goal in the third period. There were several phantom calls against the Habs, and meanwhile, other than a "closing the hand on the puck" penalty, we're supposed to believe the Sabres didn't commit a single foul for the first 57 minutes of the game.

Heck, I remember one play where Saku Koivu was trying to get up on the play to make a 3-on-2 and the Sabres player hopped on Saku for a piggy-back ride for about 15 yards!

I know referees have a very tough job, but they seemed particularly bad the last two nights from a Montreal point of view.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Beakermania*

Hard to say the reffing cost us the game last night though....

We need a better effort than that to win games...

Yes, the reffing is atrocious, but I wouldn't blame them for the loss....

But I can see a scenario where someone gets screwed in a big playoff game because of the refs... I said it the year we had the stupid in the crease rule that there would be a giant controversial call around it and i was right (Brett Hull Cup winner vs Buffalo).

Mark my words, it may not be as big as that goal... but at some point in these playoffs there will be a team that has a legit argument that the refs cost them a series.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
O'Byrne 5 for elbowing?

That one was horrible.

The Habs have seen some horrendous calls the last 3 games, the call on Pleks against Ottawa, the call on Ryder vs Buffalo and the O'byrne major and non call against Sundin/allowing the goal against Gorges. Sometimes you wonder where they find these officials.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 08:28 AM
habs101

NO matter how we look at it, the Habs had their chance to capitalize and they blew it, they did not play a solid game regardless of the refs. Its okay, sometimes its good to have a game like this to get the boys back on track. We can't expect what happened in Buffalo will happen every night. Playoffs are here! THEY NEED TO START PLAYING 60 MINUTES A GAME IF WE'RE GOING TO DO ANYTHING! AND I THINK THEY WILL!
GO HABS GO

habs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

might as well get the bad reffing out of the way before the real season begins... at least thats what I hope is happening

you mention the cross check by sundin, but the call that really got to me was the o'byrne "elbow". That gaff by the refs had implications for the rest of the game. I'm sure these refs will have a couple messages in their inbox from the league after this game.

Now, I dont want to use the refs as an excuse.. the habs weren't sharp, plain and simple... but you'd like to see the officiating standards step up when the games mean something

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It wasn't even borderline, you're being extremely nice.
Its a completely clean check, he gets 5 plus game misconduct. Not even close to being a borderline call!..

Refs when we play vs Toronto are always even more bad for some reason.

I really don't understand how the refereeing doesn't ever seem to be a subject of discussion for NHL Execs or during GM Meetings..
I mean its completely ridiculous on some nights.

The funniest one for me is really the 4min penalty if the guy bleeds when highsticked. Some people will bleed quicker than others, and some areas are more sensitive. But the best part of this penalty is that 99% of the time, its completely accidental. Yet you automatically get called for this.
Meanwhile, a player will pretty much jump on the goalie and no call will be made.

The 2man referee system is a joke and is the main reason of inconsistency.
The balancing system is even a bigger joke, it takes away all the point of learning your players to be disciplined.
Whats the point right, cuz you know most of the time it will end by a pretty even number of penalties for both teams.
Like I mentioned before, I only saw the replay and it seemed O'byrne really laid into him and his arms seemed to follow through, but I didn't see it as a high elbow to the head. I just saw it as a tall guy following through on his check. That's why I said that his arm may have been up so and that is why I said it could be considered borderline. But I totally agree that if Williams would not have been hurt on the play that no call would have been made.. And if Bouillion would have made the same body check, his arms would have been much lower and they couldn't have called it a hit to the head with his arms...

But again, that is the way I saw it on TV..

I'm hoping to see a replay of the hit again on RIS. I want to see why you think I was being nice.. It seems I missed something..

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just mentioning what I recall seeing...

If it is the way most of you said it is,

Refs

Old
03-30-2008, 09:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

the biggest problem is having the ref to decide if it's OK or not... they act like judges while they arent paid to decide wich rule they should apply or not, they are paid to apply them, ALL of them... I mean, do policemen ask themself if you did it on purpous before handing you a speeding ticket, really...

Nowadays, you can crosscheck whoever you feel like, it's OK... but don't get caught touching the opponent pad with your stick though (even if you have only 1 hand on it) cause you'll be "called" for hooking...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote