HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Team 1260 News

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Tricolore#20

vCash: 500
Team 1260 News

I was listening this morning, and John Short has joined the Team!

I'm not sure what the schedule is like exactly, but what I could gather is that John Short will be on from 9-11, while Jason Gregor assumes the 11-1 position, like he did at CJCA.

If I am correct, I think this is wonderful news! These guys deserve to be on the radio, and I look forward to tuning in.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:40 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20

I'm not sure what the schedule is like exactly, but what I could gather is that John Short will be on from 9-11, while Jason Gregor assumes the 11-1 position, like he did at CJCA.

If I am correct, I think this is wonderful news! These guys deserve to be on the radio, and I look forward to tuning in.
That is great news if its true.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:49 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
That is great news if its true.

It is true and the time slots mentioned above are a go.Both shows are to start a week from this coming Monday.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Rooks Oilers

Is the Team on the net, for us OIL fans out east?

Old
02-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Is the Team on the net, for us OIL fans out east?

No. I'm not sure if this affects anysportanytime.com though because that was John and Jason's internet feed... I'll try to find out from someone.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Slats432

I heard John on the show this morning at 7:30 and I think it is great news.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Rooks Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
No. I'm not sure if this affects anysportanytime.com though because that was John and Jason's internet feed... I'll try to find out from someone.
Thanks Guy! Greatly appreciated!

Old
02-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Digger12

Good for John...he is an impartial voice, and we need all of those that we can get.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Scorpion88

Very interesting. They are putting John Short on during the same time slot as Syd Smith on 630 Ched at night (9-11 pm). Some friendly competition.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
Very interesting. They are putting John Short on during the same time slot as Syd Smith on 630 Ched at night (9-11 pm). Some friendly competition.
Or not so friendly...

It looks like 1260 is definitely stepping up to CHED when it comes to sports radio in this town. Bryan Hall's show has already been moved to an earlier timeslot (perhaps because Stauffer's been taking away his listeners?), so let's see how Syd reacts.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
ya, if Rod Phillips ever moved over to the Fan CHED would almost cease to exist as a player in the Oilers radio coverage. I will say that I like syd Smith, but Hall sucks badly. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about ever.

Old
02-05-2004, 02:01 PM
MoeLemayStays

I would kill to get 1260 broadcast on the net. For the past year I've survived on "anysport anytime". They need to spend a little bit of money on the website and get this going.

As a kid I always listened to John on the radio as I fell asleep

I'll never forget the time Robbie Brown called Short and challenged him when Short said that Brown was hated by his teammates.

Old
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Schai

Great news

Old
02-05-2004, 02:32 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
I think they did that to avoid Oiler's games (for the most part--alot of games don't end until after nine, but you have to pick the time with least conflict). I think that's also why Ched schedules Syd at 9, so his loyal viewers can listen to him around the same time evry day.

Old
02-05-2004, 02:37 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20

excellent news. I will never hear it as I work during the day but this guy IMO is the best in the business and should have a forum!

EDIT - YES! it is in the evening!

Old
02-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Hemsky4PM

The best part of this may be that we don't have to hear about college football/basketball in the evening via the ESPN feed. We can actually talk and listen to hockey and local sports information again!

Has anyone noticed Hall's 'Sportline' show is now called 'The Brian Hall Show'. And that he now refers to himself as 'The Hallsy'? Yikes!

Also, Syd Smith is in for it against John. John has a big following and is also better when it comes to talking to callers. Syd likes to think he knows everything and seems to just field people's questions rather than listen to comments and engage in dialogue. John also focuses on the local sports scene rather than just the Oilers and Eskimos.

Awesome news!

Old
02-05-2004, 05:18 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
The best part of this may be that we don't have to hear about college football/basketball in the evening via the ESPN feed. We can actually talk and listen to hockey and local sports information again!

Has anyone noticed Hall's 'Sportline' show is now called 'The Brian Hall Show'. And that he now refers to himself as 'The Hallsy'? Yikes!

Also, Syd Smith is in for it against John. John has a big following and is also better when it comes to talking to callers. Syd likes to think he knows everything and seems to just field people's questions rather than listen to comments and engage in dialogue. John also focuses on the local sports scene rather than just the Oilers and Eskimos.

Awesome news!
Actually, last week on the Al Stafford show Al said that starting soon he was moving to the sports department; specifically to the time time slot formerly occupied by Syd Smith. Unless I'm wrong, Syd is moving too.

Could someone confirm this?

As for John Short, I have boatloads of respect for him. Kudoes to 1260...wonderfull news.

Now if they could just come up with a bloody internet feed, I'd listen to them all day!

Old
02-06-2004, 12:44 AM
stauffer is my hero

ched has really mixed up their line up. the old rib guy is now on "the bryan hall show" from 3-5 (they've taken the word sports right out of the name!!! tells you something), syd and some woman have a 2 hour news show from 5-7, then stafford's old show is hosted by stafford's old producer. stafford comes on from 9-11 with the sportline show, the same name as hall's old show. ched is in real trouble sports wise as the only things they've got going for them are the oilers and eskimos broadcasts. the major drawback with ched is that they can't be objective in their coverage of the oilers and they will never criticize them no matter what happens. ched fired jimmy hollywood for crying out loud when he brought up the now famous rookie dinner in new york.

the team now has a great line up with bryn and jake in the morning, rome, and hour of patrick, a couple hours of the sports brothers who are a hoot, mr. monotone for an hour followed by 6 hours of local programming. i'll certainly listed to the team postgame show on the way home from the oiler games.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Matts

I think it would be best

for The Team to stay away from Oilers radio rights. The people at CHED and the two dailies are nothing but lemmings. It's nice for the fans to have a forum where they can vent and toss around criticisms and ideas that would otherwise be shot down by Syd or would never see the light of day in the papers.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:44 AM
heavyhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
Actually, last week on the Al Stafford show Al said that starting soon he was moving to the sports department; specifically to the time time slot formerly occupied by Syd Smith. Unless I'm wrong, Syd is moving too.

Could someone confirm this?

As for John Short, I have boatloads of respect for him. Kudoes to 1260...wonderfull news.

Now if they could just come up with a bloody internet feed, I'd listen to them all day!
it's to bad that the team 1260 doesn't have the broadcast power or watt's of power that ched or 930cjcm has. I could pick up both channels no problem out here in Cold Lake but the team 1260 does not come in this far away from Edmonton,which sucks because it's sounds like there making a great local sports team line up.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler
it's to bad that the team 1260 doesn't have the broadcast power or watt's of power that ched or 930cjcm has. I could pick up both channels no problem out here in Cold Lake but the team 1260 does not come in this far away from Edmonton,which sucks because it's sounds like there making a great local sports team line up.
I know what you mean...I'm an hour SW of you (Elk Point), and even I have trouble getting 1260 with any sort of clarity.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:12 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I guess someone has to be the negative here...I don't like John Short, and I won't listen to his program. That is all.

Old
02-06-2004, 12:13 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
I guess someone has to be the negative here...I don't like John Short, and I won't listen to his program. That is all.
I like John Short, although when he was the main game in town many years ago I was starting to get a little sick of him, but my bigger problem with his show is that...well, I guess I'm just not a "sports" fan, so I'm not at all interested in prairie junior high school football, or NBA/college hoops, horse racing with Jonathon Huntington (!!), boxing, and so many other things he talks about.

I think it's great there's a local forum for such things, but I just ain't interested. Oilers first, NHL second, CFL football a close third, MLB a distant fourth...and that's about it. There's just too much other 'stuff' he talks about on his show for me to listen to much of it. But that's what's nice about having a choice to flip the radio dial (OK, push a button) and switch to a different station...

I think he's a great fit for TEAM1260, though, and is really turning up the heat on CHED. (thank goodness)

Now if they can just get the Internet feed thing going... even just for the local stuff!

Bart

Old
02-06-2004, 01:38 PM
TheJoker

vCash:
Bah

John Short's time in this city as a respected Sports hound has come and gone. He is tired and old and his opinions and views are just a general re-hashing of everything thats already been said anyway. Why bring back another Edmonton sports old-boy just to give us more of the same news? And Gregor? That whiny voiced two-bit hack? Please, the guy is more useless than an Oiler PP. I'm all for new blood in the Edmonton scene, but this guy is just a waste of on-air space. Why do you think CJCA let them go? Cause nobody wanted to sponsor.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:06 PM
theoil

Syd Smith has marginally more hockey knowledge than Ireland for the Journal. Short does understand hockey and I enjoy listening to him when takes calls on hockey but I have no interest in junior high school wrestling or girl's volleyball (not that there is anything wrong with them ) so I am not certain why they didn't go out and get a good hockey guy for that spot. How's your radio voice Guy?

Closed Thread