HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Salary Cap

Old
04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
The Salary Cap

Did anyone see this?

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....pper&Itemid=16

$56 million?! That means the Jackets have to spend $20 million just to reach the floor. If our budget is slated to be $45 million, we won't even be at the midpoint in spending.

The naysayers told us the cap couldn't continue to grow at the pace it was. Well, it appears they were wrong. The league has continued to grow its revenues at an increasing pace. The newfound strength of the Canadian dollar probably hasn't hurt.

This team is now in a position where it NEEDS to spend about $28 million in the off-season just to keep pace with the teams at the top with the cap likely to raise again the following off-season.

This is going to be a difficult off-season.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

difficult in what way?

im excited! it'll be Christmas in July!

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidAcbj View Post
difficult in what way?

Price of everything will be going up, because all GMs will have more money to spend. If the teams above us spend to the cap, but we don't, the gap between us will continue to grow. This situation will make the Feds & Foote contracts look like bargain basement steals.

Coming soon to the Nat: $20 hamburgers and $15 beers.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Did anyone see this?

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....pper&Itemid=16

$56 million?! That means the Jackets have to spend $20 million just to reach the floor. If our budget is slated to be $45 million, we won't even be at the midpoint in spending.

The naysayers told us the cap couldn't continue to grow at the pace it was. Well, it appears they were wrong. The league has continued to grow its revenues at an increasing pace. The newfound strength of the Canadian dollar probably hasn't hurt.

This team is now in a position where it NEEDS to spend about $28 million in the off-season just to keep pace with the teams at the top with the cap likely to raise again the following off-season.

This is going to be a difficult off-season.
I think it's being discussed in another thread, or maybe another board, but yeah I saw it.

I heard a rumor that management was expecting it to go up to $54 mil. This is going to make things difficult. I'd say Campbell might be out of the mix. Maybe Redden too, if Ottawa wants him back. Hossa will probably get $8mil now.

Eveyone just became more expensive and every other team now has an extra $6mil to play with.

All I know is we better get something done this summer, because the UFA pool in 2009 is even worse than this year.

This cap issue proves one thing-We better start locking our players up for a really long term.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 02:08 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidAcbj View Post
difficult in what way?

Except for the fact that even teams like Philly are going to have $6-7 million to spend as well.

Remember when the Bruins spent ridiculous money on Marty LaPointe? We may have to make similarly preposterous moves because of the cap floor.

Look at the L.A. Kings last summer. They spent a lot of money, but because of where they spent that money, it got them nowhere. Howson is in a very tough spot because of the mess Doug left him with. Its not as if he can hold a gun to someone's head and say "give me a center or else".

I do wonder if this is the year that the cap pressure finally causes the "peace treaty" on RFA's to end. That's the only way to keep the free-spending teams like Philly and Anaheim in check.

Old
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
I do wonder if this is the year that the cap pressure finally causes the "peace treaty" on RFA's to end. That's the only way to keep the free-spending teams like Philly and Anaheim in check.

Could be, but I don't get the feeling our guy will be the one signing the offer sheets. Just doesn't seem like his style.

Pazzy worries me a little, but the four #1 picks will make me feel better.

Old
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Could be, but I don't get the feeling our guy will be the one signing the offer sheets. Just doesn't seem like his style.

Pazzy worries me a little, but the four #1 picks will make me feel better.
Even if someone makes an offer, I have suspicion we'll match it, regardless.

Old
04-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Even if someone makes an offer, I have suspicion we'll match it, regardless.
Depends on the offer I guess.

Hopefully they'll get him signed long before that becomes an issue.

Old
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Nice to know that our owner is forced to spend a little bit.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Ouch... this all gives me a really bad feeling. Hopefully McConnell realizes he's going to have to spend some money now if he wants fans to pay to watch his hockey team.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
FlaggerX

Gee, we HAVE to spend money? What problem?

Let's face it this is the first time where spending a little money might play real dividends. This is the best team we have ever had, and there's no reason to think we won't be better next year. And while were at it why not lock down Nash and Leclaire for a good long time.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post

Let's face it this is the first time where spending a little money might play real dividends. This is the best team we have ever had, and there's no reason to think we won't be better next year. And while were at it why not lock down Nash and Leclaire for a good long time.
The problem is that teams that may have had to deal or not sign a player(Philly with Carter, Anaheim with Perry), all of the sudden have an extra $6 million to play with.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Not only that other teams we thought might be up against it will have extra cash to throw around - but because of that the talent pool will likely be reduced, but the Jackets will still have to spend the cash on whatever players are still out there - which means Howson will be overspending in too many instances. (He would have anyway, but this increases both the likelihood and the amount. Somebody's got to get that cash.) It stings because some of the money could have been spent last offseason.

The good news is he can start be paying Pazzy.

Old
04-04-2008, 06:22 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post

I think there is a fundamental problem in assuming that us getting better always means we make the playoffs, etc. Case in point--this team is "better" than last year's...and we are lower in the standings than we were the prior year. The LA Kings will be improving next year. The St. Louis Blues will be improving next year. Improving isn't enough--we have to improve more than the competition.

I think some people are assuming this is easy. "Hey, we have money, we're going to get the guys we need." But look at the UFA list. The number of puckmoving defensemen who will be available is not vast. There's maybe 5 legitimate guys worth $4 million plus...and every other team in the league can potentially have them since the cap is moving up. The number of UFA centers worth that amount is approaching zero.

Howson has got to make trades, but I think some folks assume that's also an easy matter. Its not. Ottawa is going to need a compelling reason to move a guy like Vermette when he's fourth on their team in scoring and they are $17 million under the cap. Philly is in a tighter spot, but you would imagine given how close they came to the playoffs with a young team (and Gagne out of the lineup) that they will try their hardest to keep their core (including Carter) together.

Christmas Day is less exciting if you open up your presents to find you got GoBots instead of Transformers. What children sometimes don't understand is that, when they got to the store all the Transformers were sold out and they couldn't afford to pay the price they were re-selling for on e-Bay.

I'm hoping for Transformers, but I'm realizing Howson may end up giving us fans GoBots.

Old
04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Hopefully he won't swear up and down that they are in fact Transformers though. I think we've had enough of that through the years.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Christmas Day is less exciting if you open up your presents to find you got GoBots instead of Transformers. What children sometimes don't understand is that, when they got to the store all the Transformers were sold out and they couldn't afford to pay the price they were re-selling for on e-Bay.

I'm hoping for Transformers, but I'm realizing Howson may end up giving us fans GoBots.
But because of the salary floor, paying Transformers coin for them.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Pluckfur

The economy is bad and going to get worse. Eventually, and sooner rather than later, revenues across the league and across source stream are going to go down simply because they have to. Obviously, the costs of running a team will rise across the board for all teams and all for the very same reason - they have to.

This is going to be an incredibly important off season for fiscal planning by NHL franchises. Perhaps the fiscal responsibility being talked about already by Howson and the front office is less open to interpretation than we previously thought.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Not only that other teams we thought might be up against it will have extra cash to throw around - but because of that the talent pool will likely be reduced, but the Jackets will still have to spend the cash on whatever players are still out there - which means Howson will be overspending in too many instances. (He would have anyway, but this increases both the likelihood and the amount. Somebody's got to get that cash.) It stings because some of the money could have been spent last offseason.

The good news is he can start be paying Pazzy.
If Howson truly gets in trouble hitting the cap floor, I think he should bite the bullet and front-load the offers for guys like Pazzy. Throw a bunch of money at him in year one so you can get him a little cheaper in the remaining years of a long-term contract.

That would be far better than overpaying for a bunch of bums which gives you no benefit in later years.

The only problem with that strategy is that it flies in the face of the "win now" attitude that H&H need to have.

P.S. Are there any rules against paying a guy something like 8M in year one and 3.5M for the next 5 years? I would think Pazzy would be a steal for 3.5M in a few years. I had never really considered this strategy until I thought about the cap floor issues that could be facing Howson.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:11 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ--A--N View Post
P.S. Are there any rules against paying a guy something like 8M in year one and 3.5M for the next 5 years? I would think Pazzy would be a steal for 3.5M in a few years. I had never really considered this strategy until I thought about the cap floor issues that could be facing Howson.
Yes, there are rules against that. Someone else can give the exact numbers, but there is a limit on how large the gap can be in salary from year to year. This issue was brought up with Timonen's contract with Philly - I think they frontloaded his contract to the maximum allowed.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Yes, there are rules against that. Someone else can give the exact numbers, but there is a limit on how large the gap can be in salary from year to year. This issue was brought up with Timonen's contract with Philly - I think they frontloaded his contract to the maximum allowed.
I say front-load to the max if need be then. One of the biggest intangible positives going for this team is the incredible amount of cap room we have. The only thing worse than having a mediocre team, is having an over-paid mediocre team.

The huge raise in cap ceiling is the worst possible scenario for the Jackets. Howson is going to have to get creative here, especially given the lack of talent available this year.

Last edited by Stej: 04-04-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ--A--N View Post
I say front-load to the max if need be then. One of the biggest intangible positives going for this team is the incredible amount of cap room we have. The only thing worse than having a mediocre team, is having an over-paid mediocre team.
It doesn't matter. The cap hit is based on the average cost of the contract per year.

For instance, in 2 years, Nash will actually make 7 million dollars. His cap hit remains 5.4.

Old
04-04-2008, 09:30 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post

For instance, in 2 years, Nash will actually make 7 million dollars. His cap hit remains 5.4.
Which again should remind us that this Nash contract sure was a good one.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
Which again should remind us that this Nash contract sure was a good one.
Or, viewed in a larger context ... one could claim the Nash contract as the Original Sin that started the whole escalation of RFA salaries avalanche rolling. Either way, it hasn't brought this franchise much success.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
The problem is that teams that may have had to deal or not sign a player(Philly with Carter, Anaheim with Perry), all of the sudden have an extra $6 million to play with.
The Ducks had enough money to sign Perry even with the extra increase in the cap next year.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
The Ducks had enough money to sign Perry even with the extra increase in the cap next year.
I'll be brief and say that I don't really know Anaheim's cap situation other than that they are right up against it this year and I've seen people say they may have issues with their roster next year. Second, that's hardly the point of my post.