HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

jcpenny brought up a great point in the GDT on Morozov

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
jcpenny brought up a great point in the GDT on Morozov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
-Morozov from the penguins,Good size, amazing Skill, Hustle, great shot,Was available and woulndt cost much, would be perfect with Koivu, I tought he was a lazy player but he proved me dead wrong tonight
I was thinking the same thing last night. Morozov just needs to get out of Pittsburgh. He's a natural RW(bye bye Dagenais) who can also play LW(Bulis to 3rd line if you prefer). Put him with Koivu or Ribs as his center and I really really really think this guy could break out. He's only 26 years old. Sure he's soft, but it's not like Dagenais is tough or anything. But most importantly, the guy has SICK skills and if he can be had for cheap(2nd rounder? 3rd rounder?) I would hope BG is interested. The guy could be that goal scorer we need.

Old
02-04-2004, 09:48 AM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
i read in another thread few weeks ago that André Savard was really high about him ...

Old
02-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Darz

If the asking price is cheap, it might interest me, but I've heard about a million players with 'sick' skills who never seem to amount to much.
I rememeber there being alot of hype around him at the beginning of the season, but what are the reasons for his fall off the radar??

Old
02-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

He went on a ridiculous scoring drought for like 35 games(finally scored sunday) and has really missed Mario this year.

It's tough being the lone proven oiffensive player on a team like the Pens. The other teams put a ton of focus on you and with all due respect to Milan Kraft(Morozov's current center) he's no Saku Koivu or Mike Ribeiro. He's also Russian so he could be the buddy Markov needs.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 02-04-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old
02-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
He's also Russian so he could be the buddy Markov needs.
If this was a way to get Markov going it'd be a big enough reason for me to get him. But aside from that, Morozov is interesting only if he comes cheap. I'm not sure he's the kind of player we should invest alot in because he's got confidence problems (just like Hossa). I'd rather we get a Morrow/Smyth/Cole type of winger to complement our two slick centers but of course those names come with a hefty price tag so it's all about what BG is willing to pay and also just how bad he feels we need to add some toughness and size to our scoring lines. I know Savard would be all over Morozov as he just drools all over those kind of players and would probably have built a team full of Morozov like players if given the chance, but Gainey might be reluctant to add a player considered soft, especially going into the playoffs. I think we need more warriors and not really skilled finesse players, just because we have loads of them in the system (Perezhogin, Plekanec, Balej, Kastsitsyn). But nonetheless, if he came at a price that looks like a steal for us (like about all trades involving the Pens sadly), then I think I'd be willing to consider. Any way you look at it, he'd be better than Bulis and Dagenais in a scoring role so if the price is right, he could actually improve the team.

Last edited by Munchausen: 02-04-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old
02-04-2004, 01:23 PM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i read in another thread few weeks ago that André Savard was really high about him ...
yeah I remember some rumors about Morozov traded to the Habs

Old
02-04-2004, 08:22 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
If this was a way to get Markov going it'd be a big enough reason for me to get him. But aside from that, Morozov is interesting only if he comes cheap. I'm not sure he's the kind of player we should invest alot in because he's got confidence problems (just like Hossa). I'd rather we get a Morrow/Smyth/Cole type of winger to complement our two slick centers but of course those names come with a hefty price tag so it's all about what BG is willing to pay and also just how bad he feels we need to add some toughness and size to our scoring lines. I know Savard would be all over Morozov as he just drools all over those kind of players and would probably have built a team full of Morozov like players if given the chance, but Gainey might be reluctant to add a player considered soft, especially going into the playoffs. I think we need more warriors and not really skilled finesse players, just because we have loads of them in the system (Perezhogin, Plekanec, Balej, Kastsitsyn). But nonetheless, if he came at a price that looks like a steal for us (like about all trades involving the Pens sadly), then I think I'd be willing to consider. Any way you look at it, he'd be better than Bulis and Dagenais in a scoring role so if the price is right, he could actually improve the team.
That's the thing,i thought that Morozov was soft but after watching yesterday's game i saw a guy give some checks dig for pucks and even backcheck. The guy has just MAD skills and he could really blossom with a guy like Koivu and mayb get a bit of Ryder and Koivu agressive style...

Old
02-04-2004, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1
yeah I remember some rumors about Morozov traded to the Habs
Same here, I remember a few years ago the rumor was that Rucinsky was going to be traded to the Pens for Aleksey Morozov but Rucinski for injured and the deal was nixed, not sure if this is true like I said it was a rumor I had read but I remember at the time and I still feel that way that Morozov would be a player we should look to acquire, he`s not exactly the type of player we need but he`s probably as talented if not more than Zednik, Bulis, Dagenais and Ryder (no offense to them) he`d look pretty good on Saku`s wing with Ryder and that would allow Bulis to slide down to the 3rd line of maybe even bump Dagenais off the 2nd line if he keeps on weeeeezin!!!!!

Just a thought

Old
02-04-2004, 09:29 PM
stardog

Hey guys, geez I just came over here last night to compliment the team on Komisarik and you guys sucked me in. Alot of good talk on the Habs board.

Anyways, regarding Morozov:

As I stated in the Pens/Habs GDT, Morozov would be a good fit on a team with a strong playmaking center.
The only problem for your team is that he wouldn't come as cheap as you might like. He wouldn't be a salary dump (as the Pens aren't looking to dump salary even further given his relativly cheap pricetag) and he is much more valuable to the Pens than anything that I have seen thrown around in offers.
Which isn't to say I am over valuing Morozov by any means. I just think the reason's I stated above and below will come into affect when it comes to assesing his value.
He would also be much more of an asset to the team that is trading for him than he is for the Pens. In other words, lets say he is traded to the Habs. His stock goes up quite a bit, because he is playing with someone like Koivu and that is the type of player Alex needs to play with in order to be succesful.
The Pens do not currently have that player (as Kraft is more of a goal scorer than a set up guy) so Alex's value isn't as high for the Pens as it would be on another team.

As another poster aluded to, the reason for his horrific scoring slump was directly related to the personnel that we are icing in Pittsburgh. Alex then becomes the main attention of every teams top defensive pairing and he just isnt good enough to break these guys on his own. However if you put him on a strong team with the ability to roll two or three solid offensive lines then watch out. He has the ability to pick teams apart.
I could see him easily getting 30-35 goals in that scenario.
Why he has yet to do so is easily explained. For most of his career, he was stuck behind jaromir Jagr and Alexei Kovalev. He was playing on the third line with third line type players.
Two seasons ago, midway through the year, he was put on the top line with Lemieux and he came into his own.
In 2003 he was playing at a point per game clip (on pace to score around thirty goals) when he broke his arm in a freak accident.

Another thing is the "soft" tag given to him, which is a misconception. So is the floater tag.
When he entered the league, he was as soft as they come, so I understand the mark. Yet Alex has turned into anything but soft. While he will never be a feared checker, for some reason this year he has really pissed alot of people off and he is drawing the attention of players away from the puck. He has drawn alot of penalties for players coming after him, retaliating for something Alex did which none of us Pens fans can figure out.
He is going into traffic and really taking hits to try to make something happen.
He is much more assertive and not quite as tentative when on the ice now.

At any rate, Alex would be a solid pickup for a team who is has playmaking centers but lack the depth on wing to match a strong playmakers abilities.
There are a few of these teams in the hunt for the finals which would be another reason Morozov's price tag wouldn't be ridiculously cheap.
As a Pens fan, I'd easily trade him for a solid return (nothing earthshattering mind you), but like I said, currently his value would be higher to another team than it is on the Pens, and that is why I have a tough time seeing a trade coming unless the ante is upped some.

Last edited by stardog: 02-04-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old
02-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Rahan

Wow stardog.. just wow. Amazing post, good content and well-written. Thanks for the infos on Morozov, I appreciated it a lot and I'm sure others will, too.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:07 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Wow stardog.. just wow. Amazing post, good content and well-written. Thanks for the infos on Morozov, I appreciated it a lot and I'm sure others will, too.
i agree .great from you , Stardog to gave us these info about him .i was really curious about this player ;now i think that we could add his name to opur list of potential futur habs

Old
02-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Another great post by Stardog.

Thanks for the info dude.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:05 PM
steelcity

Being a lifelong Penguin fan I would be ecstatic if the Pens could get a second round pick for Morozov but after watching him for the last 7 or so years I can't see him being worth more than a late 3rd and that's pushing it.

When Alex first came to Pittsburgh you could see his raw talent but that talent has never came forth except for one year when he had 20 goals. The thing that you have to know about those twenty goals was 9 of them came in 13 games on a line with Mario Lemieux, and the majority of those nine came on a western Canada swing when Lemieux was being shot up with cortisone. Now, no offense to Koivu or any of the other Habs centers but none have the uncanny passing skills that Lemieux had, remember Warren Young and Rob Brown these guys scored 50 on a line with Lemieux only to never be heard from again in the NHL.

I don't know if Jagr rubbed off on Morozov or if it's just his make-up but this guy does not have the desire to be a top notch NHL player. He's had several chances to play and produce with top notch forwards(besides Lemieux) in Pittsburgh and has seized none of them. Now he's playing with marginal talents but at his age and offensive skill level he should be making plays not relying on youngsters who he is supposed to be leading. He is no power forward crashing the opposing goal nor is he a sniper with a great shot, and he definitely does not have good playmaking ability.

The only reason Patrick has refused to dump this guy in the past is because of the fear of having another Markus Naslund like trade blow up in his face. But Naslund was much, much younger than Morozov(who will be 27 in about 2 weeks). You never know a change of scenery may help but in my opinion the Penguins would get a steal if the Habs or any other organizition is willing to part with a top 3 round pick for Morozov.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:49 PM
jcpenny

In a winning situation and playing with guys like Koivu and Ryder could change hi career. That guy has too much skill, i think the habs would be take him for a draft pick right away.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:10 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

A line of Morozov, Koivu and Ryder = kick ass... BG bring Aleksey lol.. It's one of the first time I actually like one proposition for a trade.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:16 PM
steelcity

$1.5 mil. contract this season, due for a 20% raise next(pending cba), concussion problems early in his career, and 4 goals in 39 career playoff games

I don't see too many GM's offering a whole lot.

Old
02-05-2004, 05:17 PM
RichardZednik#20

For Dagenais and a pick(3rd/2nd at best), I would do it.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:30 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity
Being a lifelong Penguin fan I would be ecstatic if the Pens could get a second round pick for Morozov but after watching him for the last 7 or so years I can't see him being worth more than a late 3rd and that's pushing it.

When Alex first came to Pittsburgh you could see his raw talent but that talent has never came forth except for one year when he had 20 goals. The thing that you have to know about those twenty goals was 9 of them came in 13 games on a line with Mario Lemieux, and the majority of those nine came on a western Canada swing when Lemieux was being shot up with cortisone. Now, no offense to Koivu or any of the other Habs centers but none have the uncanny passing skills that Lemieux had, remember Warren Young and Rob Brown these guys scored 50 on a line with Lemieux only to never be heard from again in the NHL.

I don't know if Jagr rubbed off on Morozov or if it's just his make-up but this guy does not have the desire to be a top notch NHL player. He's had several chances to play and produce with top notch forwards(besides Lemieux) in Pittsburgh and has seized none of them. Now he's playing with marginal talents but at his age and offensive skill level he should be making plays not relying on youngsters who he is supposed to be leading. He is no power forward crashing the opposing goal nor is he a sniper with a great shot, and he definitely does not have good playmaking ability.

The only reason Patrick has refused to dump this guy in the past is because of the fear of having another Markus Naslund like trade blow up in his face. But Naslund was much, much younger than Morozov(who will be 27 in about 2 weeks). You never know a change of scenery may help but in my opinion the Penguins would get a steal if the Habs or any other organizition is willing to part with a top 3 round pick for Morozov.
I take exception to this. He has not, I repeat NOT had several chances to play with top notch players in Pittsburgh. He was buried and mismanaged in Pittsburgh.

As for Koivu, he would IMO make Morozov a better player. There is really no question about that. His talents would allow Morozov the space and time he needs to be affective. On a line with players who equal his talent (and with players who have vision) Morozov would flourish. I don't think there is any question that he would be a better player on another team than he is in Pittsburgh.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:35 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity
$1.5 mil. contract this season, due for a 20% raise next(pending cba), concussion problems early in his career, and 4 goals in 39 career playoff games

I don't see too many GM's offering a whole lot.
1.5 mill is below the league average. There is no proof he is due any raise not knowing what the CBA will bring and at any rate isn't it a 10% raise?

Same reason he scored 4 career playoff goals is the same reason he didn't flourish in Pittsburgh during the regular season.
And he had TWO concussions both on VERY dirty hits where I don't know of anyone who wouldn't have gotten one.
There are reasons behind his lack of success and not everything is black and white....I remain by my statement that he would be a good pickup for a team with a strong playmaking center who isn't as strong on the wing.

BTW everyone, thanks for the compliments!

Closed Thread