HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr: Declining Skills or Lasting Injury?

Old
03-31-2008, 12:37 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Gomez is not an elite scorer. But he is an elite playmaker. He needs a scoring winger to play with. It seems clear that guy is not Jagr. So finding that guy needs to be a priority during the offseason.
agree, is gionta a FA?.....yes i know he is a smaller forward but he and gomez worked wonders in NJ

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
agree, is gionta a FA?.....yes i know he is a smaller forward but he and gomez worked wonders in NJ
I can't be unbiased on that one. I'm a huge Gionta fan.

03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
it's a combination of why jagr's declined; age, injury. it's just natural with age, the older you get the slower you get, the less stamina you have, it's just the truth unlike barroid bonds who hits more home runs now at an older age than when he did when he was younger. the injury to the shoulder altered his shot, which has nothing on it now, this leads to lack of confidence, which leads to a drop in game

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Gomez is not an elite scorer. But he is an elite playmaker. He needs a scoring winger to play with. It seems clear that guy is not Jagr. So finding that guy needs to be a priority during the offseason.
And not Shanny, but who?

Not many out there besides Hossa, if anyone.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
daigle

Should have kept Nylander and never resign Shanny. Thats the truth

daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle View Post
Braise yourself Melrose.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle View Post
Why, so we could have kept an aging, mopey player in Jagr happy by siging Nylander nearly until his 40's like the Caps did? We tried to sign Nylander before the FA deadline but he kept jerking us around so went and got Gomez who is younger, faster and better.

The problem is not Jagr's center, its Jagr himself.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
take your pick..

different linemates
injury
declining skill
can't play in defensive system
too picky about his sticks
lack of confidence
The last one says it all. I don't know what it is with Jagr but he doesn't look or play like the confident player that he was back in 2005-06. Sure some of the skills have eroded but he really seems down on himself and we don't need him around here if that is the way he continues to play through the postseason this year.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Prospalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Garbage? The guy is a BUM this year. An out and out bum. He is an embarassment to the Ranger sweater. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind. Absolutely blind. He goes out there, skates in circles for his 15-20 minutes a game. Goes in the locker room, doesn't care a bit, goes home, and worries about what he's doing next year. He is a joke. A world class talent that doesn't give a crap. And he's a captain no less.

What an embarassment.
this is one of the funniest posts i've ever seen lol

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Jagr is the reason we won tonight. Perhaps the foolish attacks will stop for a couple of days....probably not though.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:48 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Jagr is the reason we won tonight. Perhaps the foolish attacks will stop for a couple of days....probably not though.
Yeah, a lucky fluke goal off of a glove and helmet of the opposing team. Please. He's done, a terrible captain (speaking to Omsk while in the PLAYOFF HUNT?), and lazy. I said it in the other thread, strip the C off him and give it to Dru so we get some actual fire and a real leader where they should be.

Moments of brilliance are unacceptable for a captain, you have to be ON all the time, be gritty, and skate your ass off, none of those make me think of Jagr.

EDIT: id also like to say, I'm not a sky is falling poster here, ive rarely said anything too bad about Jagr and ive REALLY tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm really getting sick and tired of his antics.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithChawwclateSawwce View Post
Yeah, a lucky fluke goal off of a glove and helmet of the opposing team. Please. He's done, a terrible captain (speaking to Omsk while in the PLAYOFF HUNT?), and lazy. I said it in the other thread, strip the C off him and give it to Dru so we get some actual fire and a real leader where they should be.

Moments of brilliance are unacceptable for a captain, you have to be ON all the time, be gritty, and skate your ass off, none of those make me think of Jagr.

EDIT: id also like to say, I'm not a sky is falling poster here, ive rarely said anything too bad about Jagr and ive REALLY tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm really getting sick and tired of his antics.
Who are you?

Who drove up the middle to draw the holding penalty on Gonchar?

Who put the puck in the middle for the bounce out to Drury?

Oh thats right Jaromir Jagr, the captain.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Who are you?

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Although may I add:
Where would this team be this year with out him?

When was the last time you saw the opposing teams head coach do any and everything possible to ensure their best/biggest D-man is on the ice every shift that Drury has? (I love Dru, not bashing him at all)

I think when other teams start game planning their defensive scheme against another one of our forwards you can start to say Jagr isn't our most dangerous offensive threat. Also have any of you heard anything negative about Jagrs leadership? Are you in the locker room? Thats right I forgot that most of us posting here are also on the roster and know what goes on, on a personal level...Get real.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
NY Ranger86

i think the INJURY reason is gone, after taking a brutal hit by orpik in the game...drawing a penalty on gonchar later...then assisting on the game winning goal.

THANK YOU CAPTAIN FOR LEADING US TO A VICTORY!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself...

Although may I add:
Where would this team be this year with out him?

When was the last time you saw the opposing teams head coach do any and everything possible to ensure their best/biggest D-man is on the ice every shift that Drury has? (I love Dru, not bashing him at all)

I think when other teams start game planning their defensive scheme against another one of our forwards you can start to say Jagr isn't our most dangerous offensive threat. Also have any of you heard anything negative about Jagrs leadership? Are you in the locker room? Thats right I forgot that most of us posting here are also on the roster and know what goes on, on a personal level...Get real.
Thats well said.

Old
03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
NHLhockey1234

I'm sorry but look at Jagr's past stats, he always has had some less than "satisfactory" performance. To me, 65 points at the age of 37 is still damn good to me now that everyone knows his style of play and always double teams him. Everyone who even bashes Jagr should bash the Great One for only scoring a "measly 62 points in his last season with the Rangers.

How about Mark Messier's Stats in his last four seasons with the rangers? They weren't that great either.

My point is that any player who can score 40+ points at the age of 35 should be well respected and not bashed.

You keep on doing this you will start making fun of your grandparents. For once, give respect to your "elders." Jagr is old in the NHL, don't hate him for it.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 12:07 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I can't be unbiased on that one. I'm a huge Gionta fan.
i heard he was a FA and i dont think they will resign him.....would you go after him or would he be redundant?.....as a small forward i mean

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 03:37 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post
I'm sorry but look at Jagr's past stats, he always has had some less than "satisfactory" performance. To me, 65 points at the age of 37 is still damn good to me now that everyone knows his style of play and always double teams him. Everyone who even bashes Jagr should bash the Great One for only scoring a "measly 62 points in his last season with the Rangers.

How about Mark Messier's Stats in his last four seasons with the rangers? They weren't that great either.

My point is that any player who can score 40+ points at the age of 35 should be well respected and not bashed.

You keep on doing this you will start making fun of your grandparents. For once, give respect to your "elders." Jagr is old in the NHL, don't hate him for it.
Amen to that. It does seem like a lot of our fans are quick to jump on him and blame him for whatever failure we have during the season.

People expect him to be a gritty, fighting captain but you can only be who you have been for all of your life. He does the best with what he has at this age and everyone just has to accept it.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 06:18 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

He is going to be gone after the season is over. Leaving for the same reason Gretzky did...all the penalties to him that go unpunished. Watch you saw it here first.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 06:42 AM
hgo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/35

As awful as he has been...he'd still be the leading scorer on the Islanders.

Maybe he's not the elite player he once was, but there are teams that would take him.

But from what it sounds like, the dude is drawing parallels to Yashin, except Jagr is older now.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:20 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Who are you?

I'm a bit of a lurker but I've been here a while, Rangers fan for life. I just dont post much or have much Rangers stuff on my profile.

Who's talking to another team during a playoff push?

Who lazily skates off the ice when its time to change shifts?

Who shoes almost no emotion during a game?

Oh, that's right, Jaromir Jagr, the "Captain".

I will give him this, the game where he got his teeth knocked out and scored a goal was bad ass and one of the most badass things ive seen in a while.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithChawwclateSawwce View Post
I'm a bit of a lurker but I've been here a while, Rangers fan for life. I just dont post much or have much Rangers stuff on my profile.

Who's talking to another team during a playoff push?

Who lazily skates off the ice when its time to change shifts?

Who shoes almost no emotion during a game?

Oh, that's right, Jaromir Jagr, the "Captain".

I will give him this, the game where he got his teeth knocked out and scored a goal was bad ass and one of the most badass things ive seen in a while.
You do realize that in addition to the heart, character, and grittiness you seem to be obsessed with, a hockey team also needs talent, right?

Despite apparently being the worst human being in the history of organized sports, Jagr is still second on the team in points, and is still the focal point of every team's defensive strategy. The punishment Jagr takes from the oppositions' top defensive pairing every single night helps players like Gomez and Drury find more open ice during their shifts. Its a trickle down effect that you don't seem to recognize while you endlessly complain about Jagr's demeanor. The same demeanor hes had for the last 17 years while carving out one of the most successful NHL careers of all-time.

Old
04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
mstraka82

Jags was amazing last night!, if there was a fourth star i would have given it to him

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

No Jagr? Then Choose

The guy is underperforming, but to those who want to run him out of town after the season is over let me ask you this.

Which one of our up and coming youth at forward, or just forwards overall, do you want to face the coverage that he gets?

Do you really want Dubinsky to be the one to get mugged by Komisarek, Gill, Orpik, Chara and all the other monsters in the league? I'd want to give Dubi the possible chance to develop in his second year. Don't think sending him out there to deal with those guys is the smartest thing. Don't even want to think of what a disaster it would be for any of our smaller guys or Cherepanov if he comes over (Drury, Gomez, Dawes).

100+ point Jagr or not, he takes alot of the focus away from our other forwards, and if he leaves, someone who we'd rather not is going to have to receive that abuse.

I don't care if Jagr gets only 50 points next year - as long as defenders are preoccupied with knocking him on his ass and hanging on him rather than someone else. He expects it, knows how to handle it, and does pretty well all things considered.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
TylerDurden

agree 100%

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote