0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2011, 01:20 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
I've also got some questions about schools in Boston. I'll probably be applying to BC, BU and Northeastern. Any information about the locations of these three (relative to the Garden ) as well as which has the best education program would be greatly appreciated.
Well, you'll learn that in college you take the T everywhere. That being said, NU is the closest because there are two Orange Line stops right on campus and it's much faster than the Green Line (but there are a number of Green Line stops as well). BC is on the outskirts and takes a while to get downtown. BU is in Boston and has many many Green Line stops, but it is the slowest section on the line due to the number of stops and traffic lights.

As for education, you'll have to lay out what you're majoring in. I'd recommend visiting all three and making your choice. I went to NU and could answer questions regarding that University.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Hello Boston fans! Kings fan here with a few questions.

First, congrats on the Cup. Watching the Canucks lose was beautiful.

So currently I'm going to a community college in Northern California about 20 minutes outside of San Francisco. My questions aren't pertaining to visiting Boston but moreso going to Boston College. Getting in to the school I want to go to (UC Irvine) is going to be pretty hard. I essentially have to get a 4.0 and even then its no guarantee I get in. Boston College has always been my 2nd favorite school behind the U of Michigan and I've been increasingly thinking about the fact that I may have to go to school out of state.

So my questions start here I guess: Can anyone give me a general feel of the BC experience? I've never been to Boston by my mom went with my bro for a hockey tourney and she went to the school and loved it and we have very similar tastes. The campus looks great but I told myself I'll never live in the dorms after I did last year at the U of Calgary and HATED it. Is there relatively cheap housing/apartments around the campus? Whats the price range for them? Parents give my bro $1000 a month for his apartment, food, utilities, etc and they'll be giving me the same. Next, whats the culture in Boston like? Has anyone spent any significant time in Cali, moreso Norcal, and can compare here to there? How friendly are Bostonians generally? I spent a year away at college already and hated it, mainly because Calgary is boring and the people suck, and I don't want to repeat my mistake. Wherever I go after community college is a place I need to be able to actually last 2 years at. Any help would be great. Feel free to offer some additional info that you think would be helpful.

For anyone interesting, studying business and planning on law school after with the goal of becoming a sports agent.

Thanks.
Croakies and boat shoes...and parents with money. That is all.

The city is fantastic, but good luck finding a place with utilities for 1,000

Old
08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
I've also got some questions about schools in Boston. I'll probably be applying to BC, BU and Northeastern. Any information about the locations of these three (relative to the Garden ) as well as which has the best education program would be greatly appreciated.
I went to Northeastern to here is my opinion of the 3:

BU: IMO pretty overrated as an undergaduate institution. Most of their grad programs are in the top 10-20 in the country, yet their undergrad is now where near that high. They have the highest (or one of) undergrad tuition in the country. They let in a lot of underperforming kids who can pay their own way into the general studies program. Lots of NY, NJ, international money at the school.

I would look to BU if I wanted to do something in the medical field, journalism, biotechnology, or aeronotical engineering.

BC: IMO the best liberal arts school of the 3. Pretty good at giving scholarships and the one you will get the most non Boston centric college experience at. More old money, catholic, east coast/mid west crowd, most coming from catholic HS. With the liberal arts programs it will probably be the least "get a job right out of college" school of the three. Most of my friends who went to BC went on to Ph.D. programs or law school.

Northeastern: IMO the best school to go to of the 3 for career preparation in professional majors. Engineering, business, CJ, Nuring, and Pharmacy are its bread and butter. Liberal arts is terrible and only exists so the majors above can take their electives/requirements. They even put them in a horrible building that is not up to fire codes because if they had to replace it, it would have to be 3x bigger. I

I went to NU for engineering. graduated with 2 full years work experience and got a job right away. On co-op I was able to travel all around the USA on jobs. When you make a low wage (compared to FTers), and no bennefits, they can make some sweet money off of you.

However, if you are looking for the "college experience" NU probably is not it. There is little greek life and most move off campus after their freshman year. School was like a work day for me, I went there at 8am had class/labs/study sessions/meetings, then went home anywhere between five pm and never (dont miss that).

Also, if you want to be a full time grad student after graduating, probably not the school for you. Having 5 years of job, job, job, shoved down your throat knowing you dont want one right away is a waste. IMO NU shows you that college is NOT the best time of your life, making money while having a job is soooo much better. I lived for co-op when at NU... I didnt hate school but I could not wait to go on co-op. I was able to pay for an apartment year round, food, utilities and.. Bruins Season tickets on the money I banked during the 6 months of no school. Now I am on the 40 year co-op and couldnt be happier.

Last edited by Morris Wanchuk: 08-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old
08-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Croakies and boat shoes...and parents with money. That is all.

The city is fantastic, but good luck finding a place with utilities for 1,000
Its doable.. you just need a place with 3+ bedrooms.

Nice thing about the BC area is a lot of the apartments are old and INCLUDE heat which helps the budgeting. My 3 family on Mission was pumping out a gas bill of $300+ /month in the winter.

I never paid more than $700/month but then again one place was 5 bedrooms and the other 3. So if you dont know anyone.. you arent getting a studio for below $1100ish + electic, cable, internet.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:39 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Its doable.. you just need a place with 3+ bedrooms.

Nice thing about the BC area is a lot of the apartments are old and INCLUDE heat which helps the budgeting. My 3 family on Mission was pumping out a gas bill of $300+ /month in the winter.

I never paid more than $700/month but then again one place was 5 bedrooms and the other 3. So if you dont know anyone.. you arent getting a studio for below $1100ish + electic, cable, internet.
Yeah if you can get a huge rental with a few different guys it makes it easier. I think those units typically rent pretty quick once they're available. Based on the post, Mr California is jetting into Boston solo and was looking for a 1BR or studio, which like you said will be 1100 or more in that area. I could be wrong in assuming that's what he wanted though.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Yeah if you can get a huge rental with a few different guys it makes it easier. I think those units typically rent pretty quick once they're available. Based on the post, Mr California is jetting into Boston solo and was looking for a 1BR or studio, which like you said will be 1100 or more in that area. I could be wrong in assuming that's what he wanted though.
Thats a good call I forgot I got my sept 1st apartment in February.

Also, most of the rentals around BC will be September 1sts which if you have to go to orientation makes you SOL for a few days. Add to the fact that like you said, a lot of good September 1sts are loooong gone it could be tough.

So then he either needs August 1st or 15th... which ironically are for apartments that dont allow students.

And, be ready to throw down 4 months rent to secure an apartment. (1st month, last month, realtor, and security). So for our friend here would be.. $4400

Old
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Thats a good call I forgot I got my sept 1st apartment in February.

Also, most of the rentals around BC will be September 1sts which if you have to go to orientation makes you SOL for a few days. Add to the fact that like you said, a lot of good September 1sts are loooong gone it could be tough.

So then he either needs August 1st or 15th... which ironically are for apartments that dont allow students.

And, be ready to throw down 4 months rent to secure an apartment. (1st month, last month, realtor, and security). So for our friend here would be.. $4400
So I guess what we're really trying to say is...choose another location

Old
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Ouch. Doesn't sound much cheaper than Cali at all

My brother had an apartment with his best friend that was a one bedroom that they shared in Santa Barbara (right on the coast a bit north of LA) and it was like $1600...for a complete **** on bedroom.

Was just trying to get a feel for what it'd be like there.

Can anyone talk about the actual school of BC and the surrounding area?

Old
08-26-2011, 12:21 AM
bussalo

Looking to come to Boston

Looking for answers. my wife who has never been a sports fan has become a big Buins fan after watching the run to the cup. We are now planning a trip to Boston in October to see a game. The questions

1- Would tickets be available at box office or would we have to buy from scalper
2- Best places to stay(reasonable. close to garden and tourist areas)
3- Want to see the sights (Big history buff. best way to see historic sites. bus tours)

Any help, suggestions would be apppreciated.

Old
08-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

There's a thread about traveling to Boston around here somewhere...
Until then, there might be tickets left at the office. I usually just buy them off friends who own season tickets. You can find loads of hotels a few minutes from the garden or the T. Last, the Freedom trail is great for history, takes you to all the sights of the Revolution, interesting and fun to do. Hope you enjoy it!

Old
08-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Ratty

Check craigslist, Stub Hub and Ace for tickets if the game is sold out.

Freedom Trail good source of history info. Also, take the "T" to Harvard Square, Cambridge. Lot of good stuff there for history buffs.

Check the Visiting Boston Thread for places to stay.

Old
09-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Gousse

City of Boston

**Sorry for creating a new thread, but I didn't see one on what to do in Boston**

Hello guys,

I'm planning a trip to Boston for september 5th to 8th. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what not to miss. I've already selected a few activities such as :
- Boston Upper Deck Trolley Tours
- Freedom Trail
- New England Aquarium
- USS Constitution Museum
As well as visiting Harvard, the Little Italy and Old Boston.

Is there something I shouldn't miss ? Or a restaurant I should really try ? Or an area I should really visit ?

Thanks you for your suggestions !

Old
09-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gousse View Post
**Sorry for creating a new thread, but I didn't see one on what to do in Boston**

Hello guys,

I'm planning a trip to Boston for september 5th to 8th. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what not to miss. I've already selected a few activities such as :
- Freedom Trail
- New England Aquarium

Is there something I shouldn't miss ? Or a restaurant I should really try ? Or an area I should really visit ?

Can someone help me out here? What is Old Boston? Fanueil Hall?

Old
09-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Can someone help me out here? What is Old Boston? Fanueil Hall?
any place NOT Copley or Newbury Street
Nah--I think he/she means Custom House and that sort of area...

btw--just want to say I learned first hand the other night...it's true! Modern Pastry beat Mikes by like 8 million miles....

Old
09-06-2011, 10:30 AM
spencer2u

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Im coming to Boston on the 16th and will be taking in a Red Sox,Eagles and Patriots game(will be taking train for South Station).
Could someone please tell me a good location to stay in that won't cost me $300+ but is still pretty close to everything. I was thinking Newton or Cambridge, would that be good?

Thanks in advance

Old
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer2u View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Im coming to Boston on the 16th and will be taking in a Red Sox,Eagles and Patriots game(will be taking train for South Station).
Could someone please tell me a good location to stay in that won't cost me $300+ but is still pretty close to everything. I was thinking Newton or Cambridge, would that be good?

Thanks in advance
If you look through this thread, I am sure we have covered this specific topic many many times.

Foxboro is nowhere near Newton or Cambridge, but there is a train that goes there on game days last I checked.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
spencer2u

I know Foxbourgh is far, I will be taking the train from South Station. Need a location that is central to Fenway,BC and South Station.
This thread is 36 pages long and lot of it covers other things
Could someone please tell me if Newton or Cambridge would fit the bill for what I need.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
I know Foxbourgh is far, I will be taking the train from South Station. Need a location that is central to Fenway,BC and South Station.
Could someone please tell me if Newton or Cambridge would fit the bill for what I need.
A place in Cambridge on the Red Line would suit you well. It would be a quick trip to South station and fenway. The hotels on Monsignor O'Brien highway would be worth checking out as well, but there is currently a shuttle running from Leachmere station to North station, so that would make getting around more of a pain.

In comparison, staying in Newton would make you either near no public transport, or a slave to the green line which is super slow. The only think you would be convenient to is BC football.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Cambridge will be fine.

Old
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Honestly, as long as you are near a T station you can pretty much get anywhere. The Commuter rail ( taken from South Station) will bring you to Gillette Stadium on the Sunday. but a warning, they only run that train on game day so I would plan a day out of it, Patriot Place is a nice shopping/ eating area that may be worth checking out if you have the time/ transportation.
but FYI the commuter rail trains cost extra, probably being about 7$ each way per person. Cambridge is a nice area, especially since Harvard and all the colleges are just starting their semesters!

Old
09-06-2011, 04:31 PM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gousse View Post

Hello guys,

- Freedom Trail
- New England Aquarium

You have a lot covered, but if you are into the museum stuff we have the science and Museum of fine arts. JFK library is cool too. They also do game day tours of fenway park if youre a baseball buff.
Also if you have time and transportation, Gillette stadium/ Patriot place in Foxboro is a nice shopping/ night life area.
as for food, it really depends on what your looking to spend/ type of food.
Boston beer works is right near fenway park and offers a ton of selection for beer, and the food is well priced, unique, and good.
Also the Fours is a good pub/ bar food joint. lots of sports memorabilia and the Bobby Orr ( steak sub) is amazing.
If you want to be a bit pricier, you could go to legal seafoods ( overpriced but the seafood is still pretty amazing.) or also Top of the hub. Top of the hub is located at the top of the Prudential building and offers an amazing view of the city. Mind you it is pricy and the food didn't impress me for the money.
Capitol Grille is a high end restaurant that will cost you about 75-100$ per person, Good food, but you can find better elsewhere.
Tresca is a restaurant owned by Ray Bourque. Good food, a little expensive.
Also, Mikes Pastry and Modern pastry in the north end are amazing.

Old
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
spencer2u

thank you everyone.

Old
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Mods, can we make a sticky that doesn't end up with one million posts? I do feel for those out of town posters that come here looking for info and have to scroll through pages and pages of info, and it's annoying to have to constantly answer the same questions because posters can't find the info Maybe have one post each for the following:

- restaurants and bars around the Garden
- other things to do in Boston
- places to eat and drink in Boston not near the Garden
- good places to stay
- other random info

Not quite sure how it would work, maybe one or two people "own" it, and there's instruction in the OP to PM the "owners" if they have a question that isn't answered already answered, and the "owners" update the posts?

Old
09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Mods, can we make a sticky that doesn't end up with one million posts? I do feel for those out of town posters that come here looking for info and have to scroll through pages and pages of info, and it's annoying to have to constantly answer the same questions because posters can't find the info Maybe have one post each for the following:

- restaurants and bars around the Garden
- other things to do in Boston
- places to eat and drink in Boston not near the Garden
- good places to stay
- other random info

Not quite sure how it would work, maybe one or two people "own" it, and there's instruction in the OP to PM the "owners" if they have a question that isn't answered already answered, and the "owners" update the posts?
Are you volunteering to own it? Because unless we get a couple of people who want to, I don't see it happening.

This thread is old, old and almost 900 posts because of it (and not sticky, though its referenced in a current sticky thread). As soon as it hits 1000 it gets locked and won't be useful to anybody. I'm not sure how to make such a thread useful unless it receives constant pruning.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Are you volunteering to own it? Because unless we get a couple of people who want to, I don't see it happening.

This thread is old, old and almost 900 posts because of it (and not sticky, though its referenced in a current sticky thread). As soon as it hits 1000 it gets locked and won't be useful to anybody. I'm not sure how to make such a thread useful unless it receives constant pruning.
It was just a suggestion to try to make it easier, and so you all don't have to constantly merge threads. I could try to own it with some help, buut if its too much of a pain in the ass its no big deal. Just throwing out an idea.

Closed Thread