HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 1st: Are the Rangers a better team than one year ago?

Old
03-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Maybe guys like Shanahan, Jagr, Avery wake the **** up during the playoffs and give us explosive offensive efforts like the OTT game or first half of the MON game.

I like the parts of this team more this year. As long as the young, and old for that matter, guys know not to take a single shift off in the playoffs.. we'll do fine.

If the aforementioned fail to show up, well, that's why we're paying Mr. Drury the big bucks.

Old
03-31-2008, 12:32 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Without A Doubt...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
What do you think?
Outsider's perspective:

Better? I don't know. We'll all know in the next 1-2+ months.

However, I do know this:

Their younger players, i.e., Lundqvist, Girardi, Tyutin, etc. are more experienced - most importantly, playoff experienced - than they were 365 days ago.

They possess Gomez and Drury - guys who know how to WIN this time of the year. This is the reason why they were signed to big contracts - to help deliver in April-June what Nylander would never be able to contribute. Big advantage over last year.

A final point: look around the league - this roster is very deep. That could matter over the next couple of months.

I picked NYR to come out of the East in September and they remain my choice (to face San Jose), though I would not be surprised if Montreal or the Pens prevail.

Just my opinion.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:59 AM
ihatenewjersey

I say yes we are better now. Looking at the east im not scared of any team in the playoffs. I feel confident against any team in a seven game series this year, i know i coulnt have made that statment last year at this point. Does any team in the east playoffs even have a winning record against us..?

I know we have weaknesses, but what team in the top 8 in the east doesnt. Its the west im worried about, when we get that far.

ihatenewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The team is better. The problem is they by and large are either very old (Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Strudwick) or very young (Dawes, Dubinsky, Staal, Callahan, Girardi).

03-31-2008, 09:14 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This team is better than the points and the standings suggest.

They had a bad start to the season, which is why they are in the situation they are in now.

Also, before the loss to the Penguins, they had a legit shot to grab a top 3 seed.

By beating the Penguins twice that would've put them 2 points behind them for #1 in the division.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Yes, without a doubt.
Thats the correct/only answer.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The team is better. The problem is they by and large are either very old (Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, Strudwick) or very young (Dawes, Dubinsky, Staal, Callahan, Girardi).
Just like the 1986 Rangers

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Ola

As a team, defenitly.

But last season many called Straks-Nyls-JJ the best line in hockey, the most dominant line in hockey. I am not saying they where, but you often heard comments like that from other commentators then the MSG crew. And they where really dominant on the ice, especially in terms of spending time in the attacking zone.

Now we don't even got a 1st line... So we are a diffrent team. Flatter. But more solid.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
avery16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
As a team, defenitly.

But last season many called Straks-Nyls-JJ the best line in hockey, the most dominant line in hockey. I am not saying they where, but you often heard comments like that from other commentators then the MSG crew. And they where really dominant on the ice, especially in terms of spending time in the attacking zone.

Now we don't even got a 1st line... So we are a diffrent team. Flatter. But more solid.
spezza-alfredson-heatley,, and they made the cup finals..

but i think the rangers are missing that top line who can go get a goal when we need one.. if we needed a goal nylander straka jagr could pretty much go out and get one.. i think the loss of nylander has hurt THIS years team alot more then people might have thought..

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think this team is bette than last years team, absolutely.

A few more points here and there and we are talking about winning the conference.

Last year that wasnt even a thought.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:54 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Outsider's perspective:

Better? I don't know. We'll all know in the next 1-2+ months.

However, I do know this:

Their younger players, i.e., Lundqvist, Girardi, Tyutin, etc. are more experienced - most importantly, playoff experienced - than they were 365 days ago.

They possess Gomez and Drury - guys who know how to WIN this time of the year. This is the reason why they were signed to big contracts - to help deliver in April-June what Nylander would never be able to contribute. Big advantage over last year.

A final point: look around the league - this roster is very deep. That could matter over the next couple of months.

I picked NYR to come out of the East in September and they remain my choice (to face San Jose), though I would not be surprised if Montreal or the Pens prevail.

Just my opinion.

well said

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

I think we are better but I don't know how far we will go if we have to face Pittsburgh or Montreal in the first round.

Optimistically I'd like to finish 4th and play New Jersey but the Rangers would probably have to win out to be able to do so.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Pizza

Yes.

We figure this PP thing out, we're going places.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yes.

We figure this PP thing out, we're going places.
Which is why, among other reasons, #68 still is (must be) a big part of the equation, should NYR succeed.

As your big-name players go, so goes your team this time of the year. The same for every playoff squad. And despite a very ordinary season and advanced age, Jagr is no "bit" player.

If he steps it up for a prolonged period, the rest falls neatly into place for NYR this spring, IMO.

Big "if," of course.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 05:53 PM
bogans

I think the answer is that this year we are definitely a better team, BUT that team is not playing up to its capacity all season long. Last year we played up to capacity all season pretty much and then got very, very hot at the end of the year. Now the positive that you can take from this is that we have a situation of too many cooks spoiling the broth this year. We have too many guys throwing their hats in as the leaders of this team, really very many strong voices. I, for one cannot wait until (not sure if it happens next year or the year after) Drury and Gomer get to really take over the leadership of this team. I am scared about who will develop into those dominant scoring wingers, but I think we need to trust the system and maybe buy a free agent or two, because our system is designed for guys who can score but aren't necessarily Ovechkins or Heatleys.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 04:17 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
last year we had better scoring (it seemed) and our PP was working.
Jagr has lost a step this year and frankly so has Straka. Nylanders creativity is missing but mostly his scoring.

Nylander our best scorer of last year outscores Scott Gomez our best scorer of now.
by 13 points sofar!

Jagr/Straka/Nylander scored last year 249 pts!!!! Shanny has also 20 pts less this year.

vs Jagr/Gomez/Straka total output of 173 pts this year. Huge offensive drop!!!

Having said that I think the D is better this year.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote