HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion: The tremendous pressure and playoff expectations placed upon Carey Price

Old
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I think Price will do just fine... the kid certainly has experience playing under pressure, and seems to handle it just fine.

Gainey, on the other hand, will have a hard time justifying his move if Huet helps lead the Caps further in the playoffs than the Price/Halak duo...

2nd round pick in '09...
Wait 'til '09 please. I guarantee you something special will happen with that pick.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Quiet Robert

A few things from my pov.

We've all seen the fact that the guy can deal with pressure. Granted the NHL playoffs are a different animal altogether, but if recent past is any indicator, there's no reason to think that all of sudden he'll collapse because all the grown ups have beards now. He's mentally strong, and that should carry over into the playoffs.

Second is the fact that expectations are actually quite low. I don't think anyone expects a deep run into the playoffs. Sure an early exit would be disapointing, but it wouldn't be altogether surprising given how tight the East is and how young this team is.

Third, the season so far is already a success and more than what was expected. I have no worries about Price in the playoffs, but I'm not expecting him to carry the team on his back. This isn't Jose Théodore circa 2002, he's not going to be asked to singlehandedly steal games the way Theo was. The team in front of him is quite capable of scoring goals and winning games, he just has to concentrate on making the big stops when he has to and more importantly not costing us any games.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Wait 'til '09 please. I guarantee you something special will happen with that pick.
Still....the goal was to have better goaltending this year, not gain a 2nd round pick. Especially since Gainey said he would have taken if a 5th round pick if it was the offer....The first goal was then to solidy our position in net, which I did disagree at the time and still do today. If it doesn't happen, he'll get some criticisms. Then, 2009 will come, and we might see this trade starting to pay off.

Don't forget that people just realized now that the Rivet trade is paying off despite Craig being a good d-man in San Jose. We know now the real value of Gorges and Pacioretty is slowly but surely becoming a great prospect. Same might happen in Huet's case.

But I am at the opinion that Huet was never as bad as people would have like him to be. Everything got mixed up with the Price vs Huet love affair and both groups going at it....In the end, a vet could have taken the back seat to Price and then Halak would have been there as soon as next year. I didn't see the rush, and still don't see it now.

But it's done let's move on. But before wondering if our 2nd round pick in 2009 will be a good one, I really hope the Price-Halak duo will be able to cut it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Lone Rogue

He needs a team in front of him to carry the workload as well.

Roy did fantastic in his rookie year, the same to Dryden, but both had a very good team in front of them. It's not as if they carried ass. People are just coming around to the '93 Habs and realizing that was a pretty damn good team. Not All-Stars phenomenal but Muller, Damphousse, Schneider, Leclair, Desjardins, etc. was a solid group who played phenomenal in the playoffs.

We shouldn't expect Carey to pick up any "slack' for us. The team needs to put the puck in the net and let Carey do his job.

If the team plays mediocre and Carey plays phenomenal, don't expect him to take the team to the Cup.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

""The tremendous pressure and playoff expectations placed upon Carey Price""

Sigh

Isn't this a paradox? By creating this thread, you are actually the one perpetuating this process of putting tremendous pressure and expectations on Price?

Last edited by Ozymandias: 03-31-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Shadyone33

I don't like the pressure put on the kid. I'd like to see us go to the second round at least though. Whatever round we make it to, I just hope that we don't get destroyed. I don't think Price will have a bad playoff, but I just hope the media doesn't put a spin on it saying that it's his fault. Here are my hopes...Make it to the second round and not get blown out. IF we make it to the 3rd round don't get blown out.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If this team keeps allowing 35-40 shots, it wouldn't matter who was in net.
Yes we got that 30 mins before you reposted it

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
SOLR

I heard that a selection was made about the track to play between periods in the dressing rooms.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If anyone ***** on Price for not stealing them games in the play-offs, they can **** off.
All we want from Price in the play-offs as a 20 year old rookie is just to not LOSE us games.
Guess your gonna have to call up Carbo,I just know he will say something dumb..

ben oui,57 arrets c'etait pas assez..

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Slippy13

Noone expects Price to steal games. Having said that, all he has to do is give a solid effort and not GIVE too many goals. We got to number one by playing as a TEAM, offense, defence and goaltending and thats the way we will have to continue to play if we want success in the playoffs.

We do not expect a Cup, but please just win one round so we can have something to go crazy about at Le Cage aux Sports and wash away the Carolina tears.

Regards,
The Fans

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote