HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery: Through 82 games

Old
03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Sockosensei

vCash: 500
Avery: Through 82 games

Avery just played his 82nd (regular-season) game with the Rangers.
Given his impending free agency, it seems a fair time to evaluate his contribution & value to the team.

His stats look like this:
82 games --- 23g, 29a, 52pts, +19, 203 PIM
Obviously he also has elements to his game which don't appear on the stat sheet.

Here are the questions I've been thinking about. (I realize that some have been discussed elsewhere, but I wanted to reopen the discussion based on the "full season" stats.)
  • On our list of off-season priorities, how high is resigning Avery?
  • Who are comparable players (in terms of stats and overall package), and how much do they earn?
  • Do you think Avery will keep his 'edge' if he signs a big deal? Are his offensive & defensive contributions valuable enough to warrant the money even if his agitative skills decline?

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 10:49 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
  • On our list of off-season priorities, how high is resigning Avery?
  • Who are comparable players (in terms of stats and overall package), and how much do they earn?
  • Do you think Avery will keep his 'edge' if he signs a big deal? Are his offensive & defensive contributions valuable enough to warrant the money even if his agitative skills decline?
[/QUOTE]

- high (out of very high)
- I dont think you can find a comparable player for his price range
- Yea, never a dull moment with him.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
NYR Viper

i would say third.....

1) rozsival/good veteran defenceman

2) scoring winger for the void left by hopefully shanny, straka and jagr for gomez to pass to.....

3) avery

i like avery and i think he brings a lot to the team but if he wants more than 3-3.5 million a year for more than 2-3 years i would get rid of him....a plyer like him needs to have a contract that can be moved if need be and anything more than what i stated might be hard to unload on another team.......

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 10:53 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

OK --

to answer your questions.

1) Re-Signing Avery in the fans minds is almost a no question. 95% say get him signed for multiple years. Sather thinks otherwise. Don't expect anything more than a 2 year deal if he does sign him, Sather isn't stupid unlike most fans.

2) Scott Hartnell has always been a good comparison. Hartnell makes 4,2$ million a year even past 2011-2012 I believe. It may work well in the long run but he is overpaid. Avery will command close (as he has). Sather is thinking more in the 2,5-2,8$ million range which is fine with me.

3) No. His defensive game is overrated. Shanahan and Renney say he's a good PKer but he isn't. He can get the simple job done but he's not that good defensively. He doesn't block shots, he doesn't do the little plays without taking penalties. His offensive game is underrated, but it either shows up or it doesn't, which is bad. Some nights it looks like Avery wants to go home from puck drop. Some nights he looks like a superstar our there (OK- I won't go that far.)

Bottom line is, ever since Avery started playing "offense" his defense suffered and he hasn't been a fighter or a physical presence AT ALL. Granted he hasn't taken retaliation penalties lately which is good but players are still going to give him the beating and really besides the play against the Sabres where he created a goal out of a strong hit, he's a non-factor in terms of physical presence, and THAT'S why he's a fan favorite. He better get back to fighting and hitting soon, very-very soon.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:30 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
OK --

to answer your questions.

1) Re-Signing Avery in the fans minds is almost a no question. 95% say get him signed for multiple years. Sather thinks otherwise. Don't expect anything more than a 2 year deal if he does sign him, Sather isn't stupid unlike most fans.

2) Scott Hartnell has always been a good comparison. Hartnell makes 4,2$ million a year even past 2011-2012 I believe. It may work well in the long run but he is overpaid. Avery will command close (as he has). Sather is thinking more in the 2,5-2,8$ million range which is fine with me.

3) No. His defensive game is overrated. Shanahan and Renney say he's a good PKer but he isn't. He can get the simple job done but he's not that good defensively. He doesn't block shots, he doesn't do the little plays without taking penalties. His offensive game is underrated, but it either shows up or it doesn't, which is bad. Some nights it looks like Avery wants to go home from puck drop. Some nights he looks like a superstar our there (OK- I won't go that far.)

Bottom line is, ever since Avery started playing "offense" his defense suffered and he hasn't been a fighter or a physical presence AT ALL. Granted he hasn't taken retaliation penalties lately which is good but players are still going to give him the beating and really besides the play against the Sabres where he created a goal out of a strong hit, he's a non-factor in terms of physical presence, and THAT'S why he's a fan favorite. He better get back to fighting and hitting soon, very-very soon.
how is hartnell a good comparison??? Avery doesnt have even close to the skill set OR size hartnell does, and hartnell agitates on top of it...

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Choice

I think Avery is looking to get close to what Hartnell got.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 11:54 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
how is hartnell a good comparison??? Avery doesnt have even close to the skill set OR size hartnell does, and hartnell agitates on top of it...
Hartnell is in comparison in terms of points and PIM/physical play.

You don't base similarities in contracts by size unless they use it.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:16 AM
eco's bones

Avery is an almost one of a kind player. Of the current team I would be looking at signing him next. His 52 pts. in 82 games would put him 4th on the team scoring this season. His ability to agitate and to play a heads up game, his flexibility in the lineup and versatility--being a player who plays well in all situations. We need to sign him--and he is more valuable to the team than Roszival.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i would say third.....

1) rozsival/good veteran defenceman

2) scoring winger for the void left by hopefully shanny, straka and jagr for gomez to pass to.....

3) avery
I agree with your assessment there. I think a top pairing defenseman is the first priority. I think Rozsival is crazy if he thinks the Rangers should give him Brian Rafalski money. He's not worth $5m per over 5 years if you ask me. No way, no how!

I think a top two line winger that can net 30 goals is also a priority. I think Hossa will cost too much so maybe Ryan Malone is a possibility. I'm not a big fan of Malone but we do need to plug at least one hole with a veteran next year if #68, #82 and #14 leave as I expect them to do.

And #3 is definitely re-signing Avery. I think Avery could possibly re-sign before the UFA period starts. That's what I would do if I were Sather. Give Avery a reasonable 3 year deal before he gets to free agency. If he wants to be here that bad he'll re-sign before he even has a chance to listen to other offers. If he doesn't want to play anywhere else then he has no need to hear anybody else's offer.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
The Thomas J.*

I would re-sign Avery before Rosival, I would not give him over $2.9 million per year, or a deal longer than 3 years.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 03:17 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Hartnell is in comparison in terms of points and PIM/physical play.

You don't base similarities in contracts by size unless they use it.
I really dont agree that Hartnell and avery have the same value contract-wise...hartnell has much more potential and power-forwards take longer to develope...Hartnell does use his size, obviuosly not to its FULLEST advantage and could use it more, but atleast he has the option to use it...That combined with a superior skill-set, i really dont see the comparison

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
NYROrtsFan

The comparison is based on the numbers... It's not all that bad a comparison. Hartnell has actually hung around similar numbers for a few years now. his best year was a couple years back.

Avery just happens to be smaller. He agitates more than Hartnell as well.

The only difference would be the age (3 year difference) but I think it is becoming clear that Hartnell is what he is. Might see a slight point increase, but that is about it.

I also think that Avery's defense is actually bad... HATE seeing him on the powerplay and he absolutely shouldn't do it. He's not as responsible in getting back and he can often roam a bit.

But he has been excellent with his play and should be re-signed. Wouldn't give him 4 however.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote