HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Rumour BURKE HAS BEEN TRADED

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Dancing Chicken

vCash: 500
Rumour BURKE HAS BEEN TRADED

But it may be bs cause one says it was to Philly and the other says to the Rangers..

Could it be

The ASR (Arizona Sports Report) has been reporting that Burke was a healthy scratch last night because within the next 24 hours, rumor has it he will be traded to the Rangers pending finalization. No other names have been included

Old
02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Chicken
But it may be bs cause one says it was to Philly and the other says to the Rangers..

Could it be

The ASR (Arizona Sports Report) has been reporting that Burke was a healthy scratch last night because within the next 24 hours, rumor has it he will be traded to the Rangers pending finalization. No other names have been included
Where have you heard this?

Keep in mind, Burke was 24 hours away from being a Blue, about a year ago now.

Old
02-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Slats432

How about a link?

Old
02-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Gwyddbwyll

DC - arent you in Calgary.. how do you follow the ASR ?

Cant imagine him in a Philly jersey.. that would make about six ex-Coyotes

Old
02-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Benji Frank

Wow! Way back when Lindros got traded to The Rangers and The Flyers at the same time too!!!

I wonder if Burke will generate the same commotion and return?

Old
02-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Hordichuk_24

I heard it as well. Last night mostly. Burke to the Rangers for Lunkmark and a pick. Not sure how valid it is, or if it'll happen but that's what I heard...

Old
02-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Gwyddbwyll

OK Im going to pretend nothing is happening just so I can get on with things lol

Old
02-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Benji Frank

If Boucher is back between the pipes tonight after the team collapse late last night, then we'll know something is amiss.........

Old
02-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Dancing Chicken

Yup, this is all hear say right now but i trust the poster who told me.. I have been looking for links but can not find them so this is either about to finally go down...

Or it a bunch of hot air.. I am wondering if anybody else has heard anything??

Old
02-05-2004, 06:45 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
After Dunham's performance last night just wondering if Sather just might overpay for Burke's services. It's not as if NYR hasn't overpaid before; on more than a few occasions.

Old
02-05-2004, 07:05 PM

On KDUS they were saying that there were strong rumors of Burke being dealt soon, so I am believing he will be gone when we return from the break. Out of last night because the deal was ready, and backup tonight means he's gone.

Old
02-05-2004, 07:55 PM
PhoPhan

I'm guessing that, if there was a trade, it won't be announced until tomorrow. The Coyotes need to dress 2 goalies tonight.

Old
02-05-2004, 08:07 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I'm guessing that, if there was a trade, it won't be announced until tomorrow. The Coyotes need to dress 2 goalies tonight.
That would make sense. Plus, to make it official on the friday before the break would give a chance to Burke to organise his personal stuff and get some time to adapt to his team and his new city.

Old
02-05-2004, 08:08 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If the trade does go thru is it a question of which Falcon goalie gets the call or will Zac Bierk's injury heal very quickly ?

Old
02-05-2004, 08:10 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
If the trade does go thru is it a question of which Falcon goalie gets the call or will Zac Bierk's injury heal very quickly ?
My guess is that Bierk's "injury" was really just a feeble attempt at a short-term goalie solution. I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.

Old
02-05-2004, 08:19 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
My guess is that Bierk's "injury" was really just a feeble attempt at a short-term goalie solution. I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.
Yep, no one (including the team doc) can even remember what type of injury he had. :p

Old
02-05-2004, 11:10 PM
hbk

It could be that Burke and his agent are working out an extension with the "other" team and the deal won't be announced until after the game tonight. this would be important to Burke; especially if he isn't going to a clear Cup contender.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Gwyddbwyll

It has to be Pelletier that gets the call if we need a goalie. I dont know how much longer we have him under contract but it isnt long and we need to see if he can cut it in the NHL.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:01 AM
BB

if they do trade him, it will be announced either fri or after the all-star game. NHL doesn't like to have trades announced during the all-star game b/c it detracts from their game. I know when burke hired crawford and announced it at the break, the league was upset for that very reason. Something makes me think he is goin to NYR. They need goaltending more than anything...well that and a defence.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:19 AM
BB

Okay i am back for more. As i was about to turn off the tv, Sportsnet said that Burke has been told that he will be traded during the All Star break. They said that their "sources" say Ny, Philly, and Ottawa. They also said b/c of his standing with the team they will trade him to a contender. Take it for what it is worth.
Good Day.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:27 AM
Hordichuk_24

Arizona Republic

Burke focus of trade talk
David Vest
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 6, 2004 12:00 AM

SAN JOSE - Sean Burke didn't play Thursday night, but he was a hot topic anyway as rumors about a possible trade for the veteran goaltender intensified.

The New York Times reported that Burke had been told by Coyotes management that he will be traded by Monday.

"He hasn't been told that," Coyotes General Manager Mike Barnett said Thursday. "That's erroneous. That's wrong."

Barnett added that he spoke to about four or five teams on Thursday, but not solely about Burke.

"We've had discussions of a more serious nature this week than in prior weeks about many and various subjects," Barnett said. "At this point, nothing has materialized."

Burke declined comment Thursday because it was a game day.

The Times reported that New York Rangers coach/General Manager Glen Sather is interested in talking to the Coyotes, presumably about acquiring Burke.

The Philadelphia Flyers reportedly also are interested in talking to the team about Burke. Center Mike Comrie's name circulated Thursday, but Barnett declined to comment on any scenarios whatsoever.

Burke did not start for the third straight game. He was originally slated to play Wednesday's game against Florida, but coach Bobby Francis opted to use Brian Boucher instead.

The late change Wednesday fueled the speculation that Burke, who has started just four games since Dec. 29, was close to being traded.

Francis dismissed Thursday's trade rumor, saying the decision to use Boucher on Wednesday was "just a change of plans on game day."

Burke hasn't played since a 5-4 loss to Dallas six days ago.

East Valley Tribune

Coyotes' Burke on his way out
By Jerry Brown and Craig Morgan
Tribune
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Sean Burke has likely worn a Coyotes uniform for the last time.
A source close to the club said Thursday that the three-time All-Star goalie will be traded to an undisclosed team following the All-Star game this weekend in Minnesota.

Philadelphia and the New York Rangers appear to be the clubs in the running, with Philadelphia in the lead.

The deal is likely to occur Monday and another Coyotes player may be included.

Phoenix also may be playing the two clubs against one another over the next 72 hours to secure the best possible deal.

Coyotes general manager Mike Barnett denied the report Thursday in San Jose, Calif.

“If there's an announcement that needs to be made we'll make it," Barnett said. “Prior to that point people shouldn't take to the bank what they hear."

Burke was scheduled to start in Wednesday's 5-4 loss to Florida, but was held out of that game at the request of one of the clubs involved in the deal, according to the source. He also did not start Thursday in San Jose — the club's final game before the All-Star break.

Burke's name has been swirling in trade rumors for the past few months. Both the Flyers and Rangers are large payroll teams with uncertain goaltending situations as they head into or fight for the playoffs.

- The Flyers hit the All-Star break with both goalies — Robert Esche (knee) and Jeff Hackett (vertigo) — on the injured list while two minor league goalies serve as Band-Aids. Esche isn't expected back for a month and while Hackett could be close to returning, he has reportedly lost the confidence of GM and noted goalie-swapper Bobby Clarke.

- Burke would be the ideal backup for Esche, who likely remains the No. 1 guy. They were teammates in Phoenix and remain best friends. The Coyotes might be content with draft picks in return, but Philadelphia has a pair of players they might covet. Defenseman Kim Johnsson ($1.2 million) could quarterback the power play and replace the injured David Tanabe. The Coyotes have also expressed interest in the past in center Mike Comrie, a holdout earlier this season with Edmonton, who has four goals and nine points in 20 games since joining the Flyers.

- After picking up Jaromir Jagr to stoke the offense, the Rangers' troubles in goal continue. After Mike Dunham struggled in a 5-4 loss to Minnesota on Wednesday, sources in New York said GM Glen Sather spoke with the Coyotes on Thursday.

The sticking point is Sather is reticent to part with young players (center Jamie Lundmark) or draft picks while Phoenix isn't interested in high-salaried veterans. But that may have changed in the last few days.

Burke has been the franchise's marquee player since Phoenix acquired him on Nov. 19, 1999, from Florida for goalie Mikhail Shtalenkov, going 97-78-29 with 15 shutouts, a 2.39 goals-against average and a .919 save percentage.

He is the franchise's all-time leader in GAA, save percentage, and has the third-best save percentage in the NHL over the last five years. He is also tied for second in franchise history in shutouts and third in games played (211) and wins. He was a Vezina Trophy nominee and finished third in voting for the Hart Trophy (MVP) after the 2001-2002 season. Prior to the following season, Burke waived his no-trade clause in return for a two-year contract extension. He has a three-pronged option for next season — $4.25 million if he exercises it, $4.75 million if the team picks it up and $4.5 in the event a mutual agreement.

With Brian Boucher having emerged as a legitimate No. 1 goalie, Burke's salary may have become too steep for the Coyotes, who have young goalie David LeNeveu waiting in the wings. Boucher set a modern-era shutout streak recently and the team has played better in front of him than Burke of late.

Burke is 10-15-5 this season with a 2.81 goals against average and a 90.8 save percentage. He has lost his last six starts with Phoenix.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:42 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
Okay i am back for more. As i was about to turn off the tv, Sportsnet said that Burke has been told that he will be traded during the All Star break. They said that their "sources" say Ny, Philly, and Ottawa. They also said b/c of his standing with the team they will trade him to a contender. Take it for what it is worth.
Good Day.
i heard that on sportsnet too.. sorta.. i heard colorado and not ottawa though..

Old
02-06-2004, 05:30 AM
c-carp

I just hope its an Eastern Conf team.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:47 AM
hbk

interesting to see who the other Coyote is.

I would bet on one of the following:
Savage - i can dream can't I?
Gratton - teams like size and Philli never met a big guy they didn't like. Ottawa needs size and I don't think the Rangers would turn their nose.
Sillinger - most likely scenario
Ference (only if another d man is headed back in our direction)
Hrdina - unlikely but he's expendable
Kolanos (depends on who is coming the other way - ie) if it is Comrie then I would expect this)
Nazarov (only if the team is Ottawa)

Old
02-06-2004, 08:15 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
It has to be Pelletier that gets the call if we need a goalie. I dont know how much longer we have him under contract but it isnt long and we need to see if he can cut it in the NHL.

Leneveu needs to play every 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 games for the balance of the season. Since we are toast anyways and he will be facing the inevitable barrage of shots each night it is the right move to make.The more work he can get at his age the better. Dickie would probably play about every other week.

Last edited by scoob4093: 02-06-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Closed Thread