HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Get ready no more cell phones tomorrow(0401)

Old
03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
That would be nice. Stupid question, how old do you have to be to get a license in Canada? Is it different from province to province?
you can get your permit(where you drive with someone with their full license) at 16. Then if they haven't changed it you get 8 month from that day to learn how to drive in a car(the permit is only theory on a computer) and you get your probationary license for 2 years after which you are awarded your full license and your full 12 demerit(or 15, i can't remember how many I have lost )

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
You nailed it. Cellphones don't cause accidents, idiots do.
nah, cellphones really are a hazard, but sure doesnt help when the guy next to you think he can turn right when he is in the left lane

Old
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
you can get your permit(where you drive with someone with their full license) at 16. Then if they haven't changed it you get 8 month from that day to learn how to drive in a car(the permit is only theory on a computer) and you get your probationary license for 2 years after which you are awarded your full license and your full 12 demerit(or 15, i can't remember how many I have lost )
Thanks, I was curious. Pretty similar to what we have here. It varies a bit from state to state as far as the age when you're eligible to take your test and what restrictions you have for the first six months/year/until you're eighteen.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
nah, cellphones really are a hazard, but sure doesnt help when the guy next to you think he can turn right when he is in the left lane
I guess with most people they are, but, with most drivers having a steering wheel in their hand is a hazard, not to mention a map, a book, a pot of porridge, an eyebrow pencil, a hairbrush, etc. All things I have seen people using while trying to drive a vehicle.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I haven't heard anything yet about this happening in Ontario, but I think it would be a good idea. I'm on the road a lot and I notice many people talking on their cells not paying attention to their driving.

Personally I hate talking on my cell, so I have an ear piece. Which still sucks, but at least it's hands free and less dangerous.

I will also pull over if I know it's going to be a long conversation. Or if that is not possible, tell the person I will call them right back.

03-31-2008, 02:09 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

This law is going to **** me over badly. I think it's stupid.

If you can't talk on a cell phone while you're driving safely, then you're simply a bad driver.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I haven't heard anything yet about this happening in Ontario, but I think it would be a good idea. I'm on the road a lot and I notice many people talking on their cells not paying attention to their driving.
Exactly, there's a difference talking on a cell and having a conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Personally I hate talking on my cell, so I have an ear piece. Which still sucks, but at least it's hands free and less dangerous.
Also "hands free" is no more safe if you drive with one hand anyway. If the person on the other line asks you the square root of the hypotenous of the diameter of the Earth, you say "Can I call you later?" Instead of "Gee, hum let me close my eyes and figure that out for you."

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
I guess with most people they are, but, with most drivers having a steering wheel in their hand is a hazard, not to mention a map, a book, a pot of porridge, an eyebrow pencil, a hairbrush, etc. All things I have seen people using while trying to drive a vehicle.
They should banish BJs while men are driving, hey this is dangerous!

5 points demerit and a 600$ fine to the passenger !!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:14 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
ya i know its funny. People think they are a good driver and can put makeup on while driving(for the women) as for some of my friends, they think they can roll a joint while driving, worst puffing j ever :p

Old
03-31-2008, 02:14 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

If you can't talk on a cell phone while you're driving safely, then you're simply a bad driver.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
They should banish BJs while men are driving, hey this is dangerous!

5 points demerit and a 600$ fine to the passenger !!!
They are not dangerous and they reduce the incidence of 'road rage' so leave them alone.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
They are not dangerous and they reduce the incidence of 'road rage' so leave them alone.
LOL, afterthoughts... you may be right...

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 02:24 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Probably. But there are, from what I've seen, way too many people who are terrible drivers and do it anyway. I don't know if they think they're safer drivers than they are, or if they just don't care that they're endangering those driving around them, but they are and there needs to be a way for them to be sanctioned. This is why I like the way Connecticut's law is written- if you get pulled over for something and the cop noticed you were talking on a handheld at the time, that's $250 in addition to whatever the fine is for the main offense. But if you're taking a quick call and driving safely while doing so, they can't pull you over.

Old
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:

Well since you don't know how to post on a message board once, I have concerns with you driving and talking on a cell phone.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
happyhab*

My Q7 comes with bluetooth

but seriousely is hands free not allowed aswell??

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Stradale

I dont think talking on the cellphone affects that much your driving but there is too much stupid drivers (or women) that cant do both at the same time so yeah, i dont really mind for my own security.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Nobak

Well... it can't hurt, but I'm not sure how much it'll help. The average driver doesn't need a cellphone to fail.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 05:03 PM
mrCoffea*

I have a bluetooth headset and I don't drive much anyways, I think I'll be fine

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
kostitsyn1489

I'm going at another driving course tonight. I'll get my liscense by early may. At this point of my driving career i dont really need a cellphone to be somewhat dangerous on the road. :p Especially when i go to bigger city, I'm ****ed. I guess I'll get better haha, but for now i find it tough to do simple things. I'll buy a cellphone prolly not much after i buy a car and even with hands free I'll be dangerous that's for sure!!

I dont know how much of a step forward it is, I never tried to drive by talking on the phone, but just driving with one hand isnt too easy, I'd rather keep my h2 hands in the steering for now. I gues it'll change with times, but yea for now i dont really need a cellphone so people pull the horn on me... Hopefully i learn quick.

Also to add to that law, I'm pretty sure it's easier to drive with one hand by talking to the phone then hearing your mom screaming at you to look at everything and do everything at once. That alone is enough to cause an accident.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:01 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I dont think talking on the cellphone affects that much your driving but there is too much stupid drivers (or women) that cant do both at the same time so yeah, i dont really mind for my own security.
Watch it

Actually, I agree with most of that. I know some people are perfectly capable of talking on a phone and driving safely. At the same time, I think those people are in a very distinct minority. Judging by what I see on the roads every day, there are a lot of people who definitely are not capable of driving responsibly while talking on a cell phone who choose to do it anyway and are endangering everyone else on the road by their actions. If giving up my right to talk and drive can convince some of these people to hang up and focus on the road I'm fine with it, and if it doesn't convince them, at least now the cops have the ability to sanction them for it.

I like what Sturbridge, MA was doing last week- they had a campaign going reminding people about the dangers of "distracted driving". Most drivers are capable of changing the radio station or eating a sandwich, but things like putting on makeup, using an electric razor, or trying to skim the newspaper while driving are just as dangerous as talking on a handheld, IMO- yet most if not all of the laws about cell phone use ignore that kind of stuff.

*And before any of you ask, no, I have never put on makeup while driving. I don't know how women do that; I have enough trouble getting my makeup to look right without trying to do it while driving a car*

Old
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

dunno if it's been mentioned but if any of you have every seen the Mythbuster episode when they evaluate the effect of speaking on a cell phone while driving and their conclusion was that...

talking on the phone = driving while drunk

driving + talking on cellphone dramatically reduces your reaction time and your awareness levels (ESPECIALLY when you're a guy. Guys cant do 2 things at once as efficiently as doing one thing at a time - something women have on us. Goes all the way back to the theory of the hunter vs the homemaker in the stone age).

So im glad they are passing this law, but again, how well will it be enforced?

It's kind of like the law they passed in the summer last year, where it became an "offence" to throw out your cigarette butts on the ground (a 125$ fine) along with random papers (that's why you dont see any more club pamphlets being distributed out there).

People should concentrate on the road when driving. Nothing else. For their safety and ESPECIALLY for those around them.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Sthabs

Ok, can someone please explain me this thing please:
what difference does it make if I m driving with an earpiece or a cell phone?
Is it really driving with 2 hands on the steering wheel that matters or having your mind busy talking on the phone ? for which that earpiece doesnt help.....

But personally, i believe they re just trying to put more $$ in their pocket, they dont give a hoot about the "lives we ll be savings"

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
dunno if it's been mentioned but if any of you have every seen the Mythbuster episode when they evaluate the effect of speaking on a cell phone while driving and their conclusion was that...

talking on the phone = driving while drunk

driving + talking on cellphone dramatically reduces your reaction time and your awareness levels (ESPECIALLY when you're a guy. Guys cant do 2 things at once as efficiently as doing one thing at a time - something women have on us. Goes all the way back to the theory of the hunter vs the homemaker in the stone age).

So im glad they are passing this law, but again, how well will it be enforced?

It's kind of like the law they passed in the summer last year, where it became an "offence" to throw out your cigarette butts on the ground (a 125$ fine) along with random papers (that's why you dont see any more club pamphlets being distributed out there).

People should concentrate on the road when driving. Nothing else. For their safety and ESPECIALLY for those around them.
I must be a really good drunk driver!

Old
03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
A few days ago I saw someone eating a bowl of cereal while driving. I nearly got in an accident because I was watching them do it and not spill.
That was on this weekends episode of Motoring 2008 or whatever it is called on TSN.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:08 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
That was on this weekends episode of Motoring 2008 or whatever it is called on TSN.
Unless my windshield shows Motoring 2008 somehow, I doubt it.