HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Get ready no more cell phones tomorrow(0401)

Old
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
This law is going to **** me over badly. I think it's stupid.

If you can't talk on a cell phone while you're driving safely, then you're simply a bad driver.
That's my thoughts, but there are so many bad drivers out there. People with no self-awareness are everywhere. I always tell people if I happen to be talking on the phone that I'm driving and I may not be able to concentrate completely on what they're saying because, incredibly, my safety and others safety is more important to me! Often I'll just pick the phone up to say I'll call them back, I'm driving. Anyways...I'm in Ontario so I have nothing to complain about but I hope too many people don't get ****ed by this...good luck

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
kostitsyn1489

I just got back from my course and the guy said i was actually pretty good for my experience woo! I then asked him if I was ready to drive with a cellphone in my hand and he clearly said no! That was pretty funny how straight his answer was. He then said that he was a girl driving talking on the phone and holding the steering with his other hands that also held a cup of coffee and a cigarrettes and there was her dog between her legs. All that while driving.

I guess that's pretty much what they want to eliminate, but still she wouldnt get anything for holding her cup of coffee, cigaretts and having a dog between her legs which isnt really safer.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Yay to more government control over our lives.

Its getting harder and harder to pay my taxes and feel like I'm doing the moral thing.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's a nothing fine, man. I got fined in Australia and it was like $450.

The significance of the fine I think is also a reflection of 1) how well it will be obeyed and 2) how well it will be enforced.

That's why everyone speeds in Canada, the fines are nothing.
Yeah, I used to get the odd speeding ticket living in New Brunswick at $84.

One fine, minimum, in Nova Scotia was $415. I speed less now =)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Plekanetzz

Quote:
A few days ago I saw someone eating a bowl of cereal while driving. I nearly got in an accident because I was watching them do it and not spill.
I remember seeing a guy reading a book while being on the highway. I was like **** this guy is nut!

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't need to studies to let me know being an idiot will cause more accidents.
Or driving like Sunday drivers in Quebec City.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Montrealer

Speakerphone ftw.

Still won't prevent empty-headed idiots from slamming into cars because they saw something shiny in the rearview.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 05:10 AM
grrrreg
Soft European

In France, it's been forbidden for years now. I remember the first time I went to Canada, in 2003, I was really surprised to see that it was still allowed. I even saw bus drivers with their cellphones, and I was shocked.
Honestly I think it's a fair rule. It IS distracting to answer a phone call, so no, it's not the same as talking with someone in the car. It's not a question of being a good or a bad driver, it's a question of being distracted while driving, and impairing your reflexes.
The idea that you're a bad driver if you can't handle driving and answering a phone call at the same time is nonsense in my opinion.

grrrreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Chiyo
トラ・トラ・トラ

I'm getting one of these 'cause I can't stand the BT Headsets

Chiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
neofury*

And it's funny, just this morning some idiot doing 35km/h on the rue de service and he's on his cell phone.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrreg View Post
In France, it's been forbidden for years now. I remember the first time I went to Canada, in 2003, I was really surprised to see that it was still allowed. I even saw bus drivers with their cellphones, and I was shocked.
Honestly I think it's a fair rule. It IS distracting to answer a phone call, so no, it's not the same as talking with someone in the car. It's not a question of being a good or a bad driver, it's a question of being distracted while driving, and impairing your reflexes.
The idea that you're a bad driver if you can't handle driving and answering a phone call at the same time is nonsense in my opinion.
Agreed, but it's still a shock to make the change. For example, I don't "call people", but I am also OCD enough to always answer when it rings. It's bad, but it will take some willpower to let it go to voice mail.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
And it's funny, just this morning some idiot doing 35km/h on the rue de service and he's on his cell phone.
This criminal should go to jail . What a fool!!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Capitano

Cell phones are handy when your car breaks down - or under some circumstances where somebody is worried about you if you're late, etc.

Other than that I think it's extremely annoying to see people talking on the phone all the time. Like in waiting rooms, etc. I can't stand hearing people's conversations.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Cell phones are handy when your car breaks down - or under some circumstances where somebody is worried about you if you're late, etc.

Other than that I think it's extremely annoying to see people talking on the phone all the time. Like in waiting rooms, etc. I can't stand hearing people's conversations.
Same same.

When I was doing my undergrad I worked at a gas station to help with some bills. The amount of people that continue to talk on their phones when they are dealing with someone (the gas clerk) is absurd. Have some manners, put the phone down...

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Same same.

When I was doing my undergrad I worked at a gas station to help with some bills. The amount of people that continue to talk on their phones when they are dealing with someone (the gas clerk) is absurd. Have some manners, put the phone down...
Think about how quickly the wireless era has taken over people's lives...from cellphones to pagers to text messages, etc. I have people I know that absolutely RELY on their wireless device to function as a human being (I'm sure we all know people like this). Basically, not being able to access their info would reduce them to tears in a matter of hours, or even minutes. Insane.

It happened so quickly - just imagine in like 10 years. I don't look forward to it that's for sure.

Old
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
LilWinger11

I hate it so much when I'm in line at Starbucks, Subways, etc., and the person in front of me talks on a phone the whole time and continues the conversation when their turn comes. First they've been so busy with their conversation that, despite waiting in line for five minutes, when it's their turn they don't know what they want and everybody behind them has to stand there and wait while they decide. Then it takes twice as long for them to pay/order/whatever, because they're trying to get their money out one-handed, and they keep having to ask the employee to repeat themselves because they're trying to talk to someone else. Why is so unacceptable to ask the person to wait three minutes until you get your food, or say you'll call them back?

Edited to add that, at my local Starbucks, half the time the people who do this also have young children with them, who then run around the store unsupervised.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I hate it so much when I'm in line at Starbucks, Subways, etc., and the person in front of me talks on a phone the whole time and continues the conversation when their turn comes. First they've been so busy with their conversation that, despite waiting in line for five minutes, when it's their turn they don't know what they want and everybody behind them has to stand there and wait while they decide. Then it takes twice as long for them to pay/order/whatever, because they're trying to get their money out one-handed, and they keep having to ask the employee to repeat themselves because they're trying to talk to someone else. Why is so unacceptable to ask the person to wait three minutes until you get your food, or say you'll call them back?
TOTALLY agree with you. Or what about in movie theatres? Give me a break...even if it doesn't ring and they have it on silent, just taking it out and having it light up bothers me, and then some people actually start talking during the movie!

Old
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Think about how quickly the wireless era has taken over people's lives...from cellphones to pagers to text messages, etc. I have people I know that absolutely RELY on their wireless device to function as a human being (I'm sure we all know people like this). Basically, not being able to access their info would reduce them to tears in a matter of hours, or even minutes. Insane.

It happened so quickly - just imagine in like 10 years. I don't look forward to it that's for sure.
I tend to agree. I'm not a Luddite or anything, I think technology is generally neutral. It's just funny how people get convinced that they absolutely need it...makes me laugh.

I don't have a cell phone, or a car for that matter...I get by just fine.

Old
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I tend to agree. I'm not a Luddite or anything, I think technology is generally neutral. It's just funny how people get convinced that they absolutely need it...makes me laugh.

I don't have a cell phone, or a car for that matter...I get by just fine.
If I lived somewhere with decent public transit, I might not have a car either. I hate driving. I'd probably still keep the cell phone for work purposes- if my students are calling to cancel a lesson the same day, I ask them to call my cell so I can be sure to get the message- but if I had to give up my cell tomorrow I wouldn't miss it much. I'd miss email a lot more.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
SwiftyHab

In traffic on the 15 I see the same people every day, and this one guy always manages to bring his newspaper and read it while in traffic. I mean fullly unfolded only bending the top part every now and then to see out the windshield. Crazyiness! good thing were banning those cell phones, the streets will be much safer now

SwiftyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyHab View Post
In traffic on the 15 I see the same people every day, and this one guy always manages to bring his newspaper and read it while in traffic. I mean fullly unfolded only bending the top part every now and then to see out the windshield. Crazyiness! good thing were banning those cell phones, the streets will be much safer now
In fairness that's actually already illegal.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
SwiftyHab

Quote:
In fairness that's actually already illegal.
Thank god we have the law to let us now what is stupid.
We should just have a general law against being an idiot and cancel all the other laws.
Murder? 25 years for being an idiot
tax fraud? 10 years for getting caught idiot
Talking on your Cell Phone? 5 minutes in the box and a game misconduct

SwiftyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
If I lived somewhere with decent public transit, I might not have a car either. I hate driving.
I sold my truck when I was 19, my drivers licence expired when I was 22...I'm 28 now and I don't miss it at all.

Old
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Fido22

Quote:
A few days ago I saw someone eating a bowl of cereal while driving. I nearly got in an accident because I was watching them do it and not spill.
So I was late for work. So what? Sue me!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:17 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
So I was late for work. So what? Sue me!
The irony of it all is that I was the one nearly in an accident, not him.

That's why they're banning cell phones.. so distracted onlookers don't get in accidents.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote