HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Get ready no more cell phones tomorrow(0401)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
  #51
benji
Took too much, man.
 
benji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Too much.
Posts: 10,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
This law is going to **** me over badly. I think it's stupid.

If you can't talk on a cell phone while you're driving safely, then you're simply a bad driver.
That's my thoughts, but there are so many bad drivers out there. People with no self-awareness are everywhere. I always tell people if I happen to be talking on the phone that I'm driving and I may not be able to concentrate completely on what they're saying because, incredibly, my safety and others safety is more important to me! Often I'll just pick the phone up to say I'll call them back, I'm driving. Anyways...I'm in Ontario so I have nothing to complain about but I hope too many people don't get ****ed by this...good luck

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
  #52
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
I just got back from my course and the guy said i was actually pretty good for my experience woo! I then asked him if I was ready to drive with a cellphone in my hand and he clearly said no! That was pretty funny how straight his answer was. He then said that he was a girl driving talking on the phone and holding the steering with his other hands that also held a cup of coffee and a cigarrettes and there was her dog between her legs. All that while driving.

I guess that's pretty much what they want to eliminate, but still she wouldnt get anything for holding her cup of coffee, cigaretts and having a dog between her legs which isnt really safer.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
  #53
Brisk-Illusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Yay to more government control over our lives.

Its getting harder and harder to pay my taxes and feel like I'm doing the moral thing.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:14 PM
  #54
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's a nothing fine, man. I got fined in Australia and it was like $450.

The significance of the fine I think is also a reflection of 1) how well it will be obeyed and 2) how well it will be enforced.

That's why everyone speeds in Canada, the fines are nothing.
Yeah, I used to get the odd speeding ticket living in New Brunswick at $84.

One fine, minimum, in Nova Scotia was $415. I speed less now =)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:16 PM
  #55
Plekanetzz
Registered User
 
Plekanetzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Saguenay, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
A few days ago I saw someone eating a bowl of cereal while driving. I nearly got in an accident because I was watching them do it and not spill.
I remember seeing a guy reading a book while being on the highway. I was like **** this guy is nut!

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
  #56
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't need to studies to let me know being an idiot will cause more accidents.
Or driving like Sunday drivers in Quebec City.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
  #57
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Speakerphone ftw.

Still won't prevent empty-headed idiots from slamming into cars because they saw something shiny in the rearview.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 05:10 AM
  #58
grrrreg
Soft European
 
grrrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
In France, it's been forbidden for years now. I remember the first time I went to Canada, in 2003, I was really surprised to see that it was still allowed. I even saw bus drivers with their cellphones, and I was shocked.
Honestly I think it's a fair rule. It IS distracting to answer a phone call, so no, it's not the same as talking with someone in the car. It's not a question of being a good or a bad driver, it's a question of being distracted while driving, and impairing your reflexes.
The idea that you're a bad driver if you can't handle driving and answering a phone call at the same time is nonsense in my opinion.

grrrreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 08:35 AM
  #59
Chiyo
トラ・トラ・トラ
 
Chiyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 500
I'm getting one of these 'cause I can't stand the BT Headsets


Chiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
  #60
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
And it's funny, just this morning some idiot doing 35km/h on the rue de service and he's on his cell phone.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:28 AM
  #61
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrreg View Post
In France, it's been forbidden for years now. I remember the first time I went to Canada, in 2003, I was really surprised to see that it was still allowed. I even saw bus drivers with their cellphones, and I was shocked.
Honestly I think it's a fair rule. It IS distracting to answer a phone call, so no, it's not the same as talking with someone in the car. It's not a question of being a good or a bad driver, it's a question of being distracted while driving, and impairing your reflexes.
The idea that you're a bad driver if you can't handle driving and answering a phone call at the same time is nonsense in my opinion.
Agreed, but it's still a shock to make the change. For example, I don't "call people", but I am also OCD enough to always answer when it rings. It's bad, but it will take some willpower to let it go to voice mail.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:30 AM
  #62
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
And it's funny, just this morning some idiot doing 35km/h on the rue de service and he's on his cell phone.
This criminal should go to jail . What a fool!!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:40 AM
  #63
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Cell phones are handy when your car breaks down - or under some circumstances where somebody is worried about you if you're late, etc.

Other than that I think it's extremely annoying to see people talking on the phone all the time. Like in waiting rooms, etc. I can't stand hearing people's conversations.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
  #64
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Cell phones are handy when your car breaks down - or under some circumstances where somebody is worried about you if you're late, etc.

Other than that I think it's extremely annoying to see people talking on the phone all the time. Like in waiting rooms, etc. I can't stand hearing people's conversations.
Same same.

When I was doing my undergrad I worked at a gas station to help with some bills. The amount of people that continue to talk on their phones when they are dealing with someone (the gas clerk) is absurd. Have some manners, put the phone down...

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
  #65
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Same same.

When I was doing my undergrad I worked at a gas station to help with some bills. The amount of people that continue to talk on their phones when they are dealing with someone (the gas clerk) is absurd. Have some manners, put the phone down...
Think about how quickly the wireless era has taken over people's lives...from cellphones to pagers to text messages, etc. I have people I know that absolutely RELY on their wireless device to function as a human being (I'm sure we all know people like this). Basically, not being able to access their info would reduce them to tears in a matter of hours, or even minutes. Insane.

It happened so quickly - just imagine in like 10 years. I don't look forward to it that's for sure.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
  #66
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
I hate it so much when I'm in line at Starbucks, Subways, etc., and the person in front of me talks on a phone the whole time and continues the conversation when their turn comes. First they've been so busy with their conversation that, despite waiting in line for five minutes, when it's their turn they don't know what they want and everybody behind them has to stand there and wait while they decide. Then it takes twice as long for them to pay/order/whatever, because they're trying to get their money out one-handed, and they keep having to ask the employee to repeat themselves because they're trying to talk to someone else. Why is so unacceptable to ask the person to wait three minutes until you get your food, or say you'll call them back?

Edited to add that, at my local Starbucks, half the time the people who do this also have young children with them, who then run around the store unsupervised.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
  #67
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I hate it so much when I'm in line at Starbucks, Subways, etc., and the person in front of me talks on a phone the whole time and continues the conversation when their turn comes. First they've been so busy with their conversation that, despite waiting in line for five minutes, when it's their turn they don't know what they want and everybody behind them has to stand there and wait while they decide. Then it takes twice as long for them to pay/order/whatever, because they're trying to get their money out one-handed, and they keep having to ask the employee to repeat themselves because they're trying to talk to someone else. Why is so unacceptable to ask the person to wait three minutes until you get your food, or say you'll call them back?
TOTALLY agree with you. Or what about in movie theatres? Give me a break...even if it doesn't ring and they have it on silent, just taking it out and having it light up bothers me, and then some people actually start talking during the movie!

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
  #68
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Think about how quickly the wireless era has taken over people's lives...from cellphones to pagers to text messages, etc. I have people I know that absolutely RELY on their wireless device to function as a human being (I'm sure we all know people like this). Basically, not being able to access their info would reduce them to tears in a matter of hours, or even minutes. Insane.

It happened so quickly - just imagine in like 10 years. I don't look forward to it that's for sure.
I tend to agree. I'm not a Luddite or anything, I think technology is generally neutral. It's just funny how people get convinced that they absolutely need it...makes me laugh.

I don't have a cell phone, or a car for that matter...I get by just fine.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
  #69
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I tend to agree. I'm not a Luddite or anything, I think technology is generally neutral. It's just funny how people get convinced that they absolutely need it...makes me laugh.

I don't have a cell phone, or a car for that matter...I get by just fine.
If I lived somewhere with decent public transit, I might not have a car either. I hate driving. I'd probably still keep the cell phone for work purposes- if my students are calling to cancel a lesson the same day, I ask them to call my cell so I can be sure to get the message- but if I had to give up my cell tomorrow I wouldn't miss it much. I'd miss email a lot more.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
  #70
SwiftyHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 559
vCash: 500
In traffic on the 15 I see the same people every day, and this one guy always manages to bring his newspaper and read it while in traffic. I mean fullly unfolded only bending the top part every now and then to see out the windshield. Crazyiness! good thing were banning those cell phones, the streets will be much safer now

SwiftyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
  #71
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyHab View Post
In traffic on the 15 I see the same people every day, and this one guy always manages to bring his newspaper and read it while in traffic. I mean fullly unfolded only bending the top part every now and then to see out the windshield. Crazyiness! good thing were banning those cell phones, the streets will be much safer now
In fairness that's actually already illegal.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
  #72
SwiftyHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
In fairness that's actually already illegal.
Thank god we have the law to let us now what is stupid.
We should just have a general law against being an idiot and cancel all the other laws.
Murder? 25 years for being an idiot
tax fraud? 10 years for getting caught idiot
Talking on your Cell Phone? 5 minutes in the box and a game misconduct

SwiftyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
  #73
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
If I lived somewhere with decent public transit, I might not have a car either. I hate driving.
I sold my truck when I was 19, my drivers licence expired when I was 22...I'm 28 now and I don't miss it at all.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
  #74
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
A few days ago I saw someone eating a bowl of cereal while driving. I nearly got in an accident because I was watching them do it and not spill.
So I was late for work. So what? Sue me!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 11:17 AM
  #75
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
So I was late for work. So what? Sue me!
The irony of it all is that I was the one nearly in an accident, not him.

That's why they're banning cell phones.. so distracted onlookers don't get in accidents.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.