HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who needs prospect goalies

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Fantasywonder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Right now, most NHL teams are happy with the NHL goalies they have. Most teams are satisfied with their goaltending situation. Bacashiua (or however you spell it) is the only goalie you named with no1 up side. Stars should hang on to him. The other three are second tier prospects at best... I don't think you could get much return for them. Since you find they are "decent", maybe you better hang on to them too.
I suggest you judge them beyond their stats and HF grades.

Jason Bacashihua (1st Round, 26th overall 2001) is like one of *the* most skilled goalie prospects in the world. And when he gets on, he's unbeatable. However, he's been very inconsistant ever since being drafted at at the age of 21 but he still has a lot of years to work on that, especially when you consider that he won't start as long as Turco defends the net in Big D. His upside is that of a starter and then some. His initial projection and rolemodel in Eddie Belfour is still a possibility, I don't see why not.

Tobias Stephan (2nd round, 34th overall 2002) was on pace to tear up the Swiss league before getting injured. His game resembles Aebischer in a lot of ways, but Stephan's potential could even be higher judging on the numbers both had while playing in the Swiss league. His potential could challenge Bacashihua for top backup honours to Turco, but a starting role is definitely possible, in fact, that would be his upside if it weren't for the fact the Stars were so deep in net. "Second tier at best?"

Dan Ellis (2nd Round #60 overall 2000) is currently playing amazing on what is quite possibly the worst team in the AHL. His save percentage is above .940 and appears to be the most consistant and so far, most stable and most reliable goalieprospect in the system. His skillset however, isn't as sick as either Cashs' or Stephan, but his upside projects nicely into a very solid backup/starter ala Ron Tugnutt.

Mike Smith (5th round, 161st overall 2001) is the one that seems to be the most NHL ready, and has been the Grizzlies starter for most of the season. He's done very well as a rookie, especially when you consider how awful the team in front of him has been. His stats are respectable and is very consistant. His potential is limited, but he is the bridge as our backup untill the Bacashihuas and Stephan's are fully ready. His upside is that of a consistant backup, ala Jeff Hackett/John Grahame who should be reliable when count upon, even when it means handling the starting duties for several straight games.

The Stars are one of the most deepest teams in net in the entire NHL. They already own a somewhat young, top 5 netminder in Marty Turco and have 2 sure fine NHL'ers and potential starters in Cash and Stephan, supported by Ellis and Smith, 2 very capable backups, the former likely even more.

I'm not a firm believer Bacashihua can get us Smyth, but neither could Bryzgalov, a simular, if not lesser skilled prospect with an indentical upside. Than again, I wouldn't want to play Cash at his best vs the Oilers in the 2007 playoffs, which could be a strong possibility.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I think trading Boyle would be a big mistake(pun intended)
I would have said pushkaryov but thats asking a lot. I figured boyle could be one of those odd men out type of players, although maybe aulin or cammilarri would be traded for baca, anyway, i think him in LA would be a very good trade.... (only because i got him on my keeper league team )

Old
02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Suprised there is that much interest. My preference would be to package one for Ryan Symth
Not a chance that would happen, Ryan Smyth is an elite player that would command alot. He plays every night and if he were available he would command much more than a package that includes the three goalie prospects mentioned. In addition, I do not believe that Dallas has the where with all to get him and his salary.

Chomp, CHomp

Old
02-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Fantasywonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Not a chance that would happen, Ryan Smyth is an elite player that would command alot. He plays every night and if he were available he would command much more than a package that includes the three goalie prospects mentioned. In addition, I do not believe that Dallas has the where with all to get him and his salary.

Chomp, CHomp
As much as I appreciate Smyth, he's far away from being an elite player in this league. There's only a select group that can be considered one, and Smyth isn't one of them.

And as I said before, besides Lehtonen and Fleury, there's not a goalie prospect in the world that is worth Smyth straight up. There has to be added something signficant more to Cash to get Smyth.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:57 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I think the Kings might draft a goalie in round 1, or if Florida gets a high pick, they're in a great position to move down to take Marek Schwartz, if his stock stays the same, he will probably be picked somewhere between 9-14.
As whoever above me said it, we'll prolly use our 3rd rounder on a goalie.

We don't need a Schwarz type of goalie. We need a top scoring sniper who only pots goals. A poor mans Kovalchuk (very poor man) or a Gaborik (when he was good) type player

I think we'll fininsh and end up with about the #10 pick. I would like FLA to pick one of

Tukonen
Sindel (my preference)
Chipchura
McGrath

Old
02-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasywonder
As much as I appreciate Smyth, he's far away from being an elite player in this league. There's only a select group that can be considered one, and Smyth isn't one of them.

And as I said before, besides Lehtonen and Fleury, there's not a goalie prospect in the world that is worth Smyth straight up. There has to be added something signficant more to Cash to get Smyth.

Instead of player I should have said power forward, in that very few guys are willing to pay the price and play inside like he does, he reminds me of Shanahan of old a guy that will sit in front of the net to get the job done.

But yes the prospects mentioned and cash will not net a Smyth. (You could probably add Ryan Miller to your list as well, I would.)

Chomp, Chomp

Closed Thread