HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Mara appreciation thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
  #51
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Then get ready to resign Mara...

because Rozsival will be more in the neighborhood of $4-$5MM. If he kept up his early season pace, it would be closer to the high end of the range, if not a bit more. But Mara is not a Rozsival replacement. He's a third liner. You spend less than a $mil on that - and use what's left over to add for a decent player.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 03:36 PM
  #52
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,452
vCash: 500
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
because Rozsival will be more in the neighborhood of $4-$5MM. If he kept up his early season pace, it would be closer to the high end of the range, if not a bit more. But Mara is not a Rozsival replacement. He's a third liner. You spend less than a $mil on that - and use what's left over to add for a decent player.
I dont believe we need more free agents. Mara and Backman are already guys we didnt draft, enough of those for me!

i think that if we dont resign Rozsival, we should go with:

Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Sanguinetti
Mara - Backman (working ok now together in playoffs!)
Sauer

If Sanguinetti is not ready for the NHL(I think he will be), we still have guys like Sauer and Baranka who can play.


Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 04-17-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
  #53
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
So you're saying...

the Rangers should pay around $2.5-3MM on a third defenseman and rush a kid to the NHL who by most accounts needs seasoning in the AHL to hone his defensive capabilities? I don't think that's the right way to go about things. But if there is going to be a kid on the blueline I think it would be one of Baranka or Potter before Sanguinetti.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
  #54
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the Rangers should pay around $2.5-3MM on a third defenseman and rush a kid to the NHL who by most accounts needs seasoning in the AHL to hone his defensive capabilities? I don't think that's the right way to go about things. But if there is going to be a kid on the blueline I think it would be one of Baranka or Potter before Sanguinetti.
since potter and sauer plays the defensive game that is for sure. but if sang can prove in preseason to help our PP, he will get a few games in reg season to see if he can keep it up. Staal did not need much time in hartford. I know both are totally different players but there are some offensive dman that made the NHL without much time in AHL. Vlasic out of San Jose is one, Bowemeester is another one.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
  #55
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,452
vCash: 500
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
since potter and sauer plays the defensive game that is for sure. but if sang can prove in preseason to help our PP, he will get a few games in reg season to see if he can keep it up. Staal did not need much time in hartford. I know both are totally different players but there are some offensive dman that made the NHL without much time in AHL. Vlasic out of San Jose is one, Bowemeester is another one.
that was exactly my point! From watching Sanguinetti in the WJC, he just seems very polished offensively, his skating is very smooth(NHL-level), his passing is better than that of many NHL offensive D I think and he has a decent shot. Defensively, I think he is over-criticized...he is fine defensively, just he is not supposed to kill people with hits, he is an offensive dman. Put him with Staal and he will thrive. Our power-play in these playoffs has been HORRIBLE, especially in the last game. If we didnt score so much 5 on 5, we'd be in trouble in this series!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
  #56
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Staal and Sanguinetti..

are different animals. Staal could've played at 18 years old. He didn't look out of place in his first NHL exhibition game against the Isles. He had three penalties, but that's because of the new rules that were enforced then and he was being a bit aggressive. Sanguinetti, to play on Renney's hockey team, needs to get better defensively. Right now Hutchinson, Potter and Baranka are the best defensemen in Hartford (Potter and Baranka have been a top pairing for much of the season (having watching in a couple months, so I assume that's true)). I think they will get looks next season before Sanguinetti, Sauer and others. If Mara and Rozsival aren't back (I don't expect Mara to be back), but let's say both aren't back, expect a UFA signing.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:37 PM
  #57
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
On another note..

before Sanguinetti saves the Rangers' PP, lets see him get points in HFD - I think he has one point in seven games. Not a representative sample to talk about his ability to jump to the NHL offensively, but it's not a statement of support either.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
  #58
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Paul Mara has always had the talent. Wish we could see a little more of that shot that he utilized so well in Tampa.

I (like many including the Renney who benched him for not being more involved) would like to see more grit to his game.

He is a big man who skates and shoots the puck well. And this series he positioning has been excellent. Kind of like him with Backman also.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:42 PM
  #59
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,541
vCash: 500
I have been very pleased with Mara, and as I said in a previous post in a different thread, at this point I think I'd rather have him back than Rozsie.

(Now, bear in mind that when I say that, that I'm thinking Mara at ~$2MM/2-3 years over Rozsie at ~$4.5MM/5 years and then use the extra cap space on other assets.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 06:12 PM
  #60
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,666
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I have been very pleased with Mara, and as I said in a previous post in a different thread, at this point I think I'd rather have him back than Rozsie.
eww.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 08:47 PM
  #61
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
eww.
Come now, when you take the projected FA contracts I assumed into account, it's certainly not as unreasonable as you make it out to be, -13-.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
  #62
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,666
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Come now, when you take the projected FA contracts I assumed into account, it's certainly not as unreasonable as you make it out to be, -13-.
1. it's -31-
2. I didn't make it out to be unreasonable, I made it out to be disgusting.
3. if your going to replace Rozsival, ideally you'd see someone who can play close to 25 minutes a night. I don't consider Mara in his eschelon.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.