HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Who starts next Wednesday against Atlanta?

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2004, 08:22 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
Who starts next Wednesday against Atlanta?

In net that is.

Is this a tough call? It's a week away.

Fight amongst yourselves....

Last edited by gretzky2kurri: 02-05-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old
02-05-2004, 08:29 PM
windowlicker

Salo. No question.

Old
02-05-2004, 08:43 PM
copperaddict

I'll say Conks.The way that MacT likes going with what's working when they are winning.

You never know what Philly or the Rags may offer over the break for Salo?If Philly offered Handzus in some sort of a package deal now that Lapointe is back giving them 5 centers and knowing how the Oil could use a big top 2 line middle man.

Old
02-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Scorpion88

Tough Decision.

1. Ride the hot hand and stick with Conklin until he loses

OR

2. Let Salo prove why he is the number one goalie

My choice, Number 2. Give Salo the first couple games to prove his worth and if he fails, TURF HIM!

Old
02-05-2004, 08:47 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
In net that is.

Is this a tough call? It's a week away.

Fight amongst yourselves....
I would have to go with Conklin if it was my decision. He's played well and I think Salo's days as an Oiler are numbered. He's got nothing left in him right now.

Old
02-05-2004, 09:02 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I would have to go with Conklin if it was my decision. He's played well and I think Salo's days as an Oiler are numbered. He's got nothing left in him right now.
Based on what? Oh knowledgeable hockey fan?

Old
02-05-2004, 09:11 PM
jadeddog

i was completely for giving salo his second chance back in january, because conklin wasnt playing very good and it was in the oilers best interests to see if salo could bring his game around.... salo has had his second chance, in fact (by my count) he is on his 3rd chance, and he just screwed that one up...... salo did bring his game around for a couple weeks with this last opportunity, then it went into the tank again..... i dont know that i think conklin is a better goalie than salo, i just dont think hes any worst than salo (because i really dont know if that is possible, and im not being mean, im just looking at the facts of the situation)..... that, coupled with the fact that all indicators point to salo not being here next season, makes me belive that we should find out as much as we can about conklins game this year, because then we can make a more informed choice about our goaltending next season (ie. whether to let conklin have the starting job or to trade for another goalie for tandem work or to take over the number 1 position completely)

Old
02-05-2004, 10:21 PM
oilers24

Conklin without a doubt!!!

Old
02-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Cujo_31

Conklin...if the team is winning, why switch goalies?? I agree Salo's days are numbered as an Oiler. he'd need to carry the Oilers to a first round playoff upset, if he wants to be back in Edmonton after this season. it's pretty much common knowledge the Oilers WILL NOT pick up Salo's option for next season, and if he is gonna be here, it'll have to be at a very cheap price, & hopefully with performance bonuses, so he earns the $$$$ he'd receive.

Old
02-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Digger12

Whether the fans like it or not, IMO MacT made his decision plain when he verbally called out Salo after the LA game. He's done with protecting Salo.

I'm sure he'll go back to him if Conklin struggles, but until that time it's Conklin in net.

Old
02-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Cerebral

I personally think they should start Salo. Conklin just hasn't looked that strong to me.. I don't think I can take another goal where he loses the puck and thinks he has it covered up only to have an opposing player tap it in. I stand by the fact that a really hot Salo (whether that's at all possible is up for debate) is our only shot at the playoffs.

Old
02-06-2004, 09:10 AM
copperandblue

I would guess that Salo gets the start.

I found it pretty interesting last night, when MacT was on the radio, and he said that the Oilers are in a situation where they don't feel they have a specific #1 goalie right now.

He framed the statement in a manner that was maybe a little more positive for Conklin as opposed to ragging on Salo but the fact he said it, says to me that they are seeing a problem with Salo's game.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Matts

Sure, Tommy's top game is better than Ty's

but when do we see Tommy's top game anymore? Even when he had that lights out first period vs the Hawks he still managed to totally crap the bed on the 3-2 goal.

But it makes for an interesting decision with the Oilers going all out for a playoff spot. Would this be November I'd say go with Ty and don't yank him until he has two bad games in a row, ie try and give him a little comfort zone.

But seeing as how the Oilers are trying to make the dance, then I say damn the comfort and go with who's hot and yank the guy who cost you the last game. It's not the best way to develop Ty but there's not much other choice right now. As for if it's fair to do this kind of thing to Tommy, then shag him because his lackluster play and salary have put us in this situation anyway.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:48 PM
theoil

I think MacT is leaning towards the old 'win and you play again' strategy. That means Conklin is in net for the next game. Conklin is, imo, a very average goalie by NHL standards. The thing he seems to have going for him is a) Tommy is letting in very bad goals from time to time and b) the team protects Conklin better than they protect Tommy because Tommy keeps making tremendous saves that make the team think he is back to his old self. Other than Conklin's ability to squeeze the puck in his glove hand and a propensity to wander that is occassionaly troublesome Conklin basically stops everything you expect him to stop. In the NHL that is not good enough to be a starter. You have to stop everything that it is expected for you to stop and you have to rob guys from time to time. Conklin is not a starter. A reasonable backup is as good as he will be. Unfortunately Salo looks like Belfour his last season in Dallas. Conklin does not look like Turco.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Obsessed

My guess is Conklin. Why change now. Go with the hot hand. I'll bet a wooden nickle on it.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:45 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
My guess is Conklin. Why change now. Go with the hot hand. I'll bet a wooden nickle on it.
I'll take that bet. I think Salo will get the nod over Conklin for wednesday's game.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Obsessed

Where you from misfit. I want a shiny wooden nickel. No dull ass pine. Gotta be cedar.

Old
02-06-2004, 08:04 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Salo. No question.
Really?

Well it looks like so far that 12 of 17 posters DO "question" starting Tommy........

It's certainly debatable....

Closed Thread