HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PJ Stock and the black hole of the afternoon

Old
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
PJ's an all right guy, and I'd probably have fun hanging out with him, but he's not my first choice for a Habs radio personality. He makes it pretty clear every day that he doesn't even like the habs. I'm not saying every host has to be brimming with enthusiasm every moment they're on the radio, but they should not outright dislike the Habs.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
PJ Stock is a joke to Team 990 and the city of Montreal. The guy is exactly what he is... a bad hockey player with no brain. Transfer that over to radio and you might as well have a monkey make noise for 3hrs. Fact is, Stock knows nothing about the rest of the league and his ideas and opinions are way out of left field. Common sense has no place in his shows. Ignore the fact that he's an idiot and knows nothing about the league, he's just a bad host. He can't put a thought or a sentence together and has 0 entertainment value and no level of professionalism.

I find it hilarious when people call in asking PJ for his opinion as if he's in the know like Bob McKenzie or Pierre McGuire is.

You can lump Tony Marinaro in there with Stock too. He's a variation of PJ Stock in that he also has 0 entertainment value and doesn't know how to host a radio program. Tony is off the wall in that he thinks he's connected to the Habs and knows every little aspect about the team when in reality he's nothing more than a fanboy and internet message board reader. Funny thing about Tony is that most of his "ideas" and "info" come from HFBoards and other message boards. How professoinal is that?? He has a whiney raspy voice, he talks about stupid Eklund trade rumours as if they were real, he thinks he's funny, him and Stock get into stupid arguments no one cares about, and his show can be summed up by reading the first 3 threads of the Habs forum. Someone should tell Tony he needs to stop saying "but that being sad" after every thing he says because it makes the statement before that void.

Whatever the case, Stock & Mariniaro are not professional and are an embarrassment to the Habs and their fans. Heck, the entire Team 990 team is bush league compared to most other sports radio stations. I think that place is run by monkeys and interns.

So, all in all, do ya like the station ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
He said [I quote loosely] The other commnet was 'You're to be congratulated for how far you've come in your new career..
"...it's nice to finally see you doing something that you're good at" was the rest of that line. It was hilarious.

and then made some comment about him supporting the home team, I can't remember the whole part. The TEAM should put the whole segment on their website.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:47 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
PJ's an all right guy, and I'd probably have fun hanging out with him, but he's not my first choice for a Habs radio personality. He makes it pretty clear every day that he doesn't even like the habs. I'm not saying every host has to be brimming with enthusiasm every moment their on the radio, but they should not outright dislike the Habs.
Keep in mind that the Team isn't a rights holder and has no affiliation with the CH.

Most of the staff are fairly broadminded, even the broads. His show's meant to be a bit off the wall, and he represents the fans out there who pick for anyone but mtl. I just don't find he does it in an entertaining way, but that's just me.

Old
04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Pedro McGuire*

What ever! PJ is allright if you have a sense of humor.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
"...it's nice to finally see you doing something that you're good at" was the rest of that line. It was hilarious.

and then made some comment about him supporting the home team, I can't remember the whole part. The TEAM should put the whole segment on their website.
That whole thing was well done. Next year, I wouldn't mind splurging for a ticket. It's a good cause and sounded like fun.

Gainey then went on to drop an f bomb on AM radio, describing their soccer guy, making fun of his Englsih accent.

Old
04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
He can't be as bad as Jeff Marek is. He was a guest on our local radio station in the late summer/fall and he went on to say that Mark Bell was a great pickup and will probably go on to score close to 30 goals for the Leafs.

When he showed up on HNIC I just about threw up.
Well.....I know there was a lot of Kyle Calder and Mark Bell fans on this board as well...and I know that 'cause I may have been one of them....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
What ever! PJ is allright if you have a sense of humor.
I've never been accused of liking anything too serious, but I don't find him too funny. He can take the odd shot, but when it comes back, you get an hour of him defending himself.

Old
Guy Caballero

Quote:
he represents the fans out there who pick for anyone but mtl...
I understand what you're saying, but if that's the case, he takes up a disproportionate amount of time doing his bit. The vast majority of people listening to the station are Habs fans, yet the whole 12 to 3 slot is monopolized by someone who only trashes on them.

Critical, objective announcers are good, but PJ isn't one. The Habs could win 20-0 and he'd still find something negative to say. Then he spends the afternoon justifying that opinion. It's tiresome.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs8517

i hate the guy
i close the radio when his show starts
he should go to boston and hang with his goon friends

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
I understand what you're saying, but if that's the case, he takes up a disproportionate amount of time doing his bit. The vast majority of people listening to the station are Habs fans, yet the whole 12 to 3 slot is monopolized by someone who only trashes on them.

Critical, objective announcers are good, but PJ isn't one. The Habs could win 20-0 and he'd still find something negative to say. Then he spends the afternoon justifying that opinion. It's tiresome.
That's why I've been embracing silence in the office, or listening to some cd's that'd gotten dusty. Warren Zevon vs. PJ Stock, no contest.

Old
04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well.....I know there was a lot of Kyle Calder and Mark Bell fans on this board as well...and I know that 'cause I may have been one of them....
Yeah and that is alright to be a fan of theres but he was thrown in on the Toskala deal as a salary dump and Jeff Marek was trying to make it out as a steal by the Leafs, he then went on to say that there wasnt anyone really avalible anyway when the Leafs pick came up in the draft.

He is one of the biggest homers in the business, he reminds me of the Leafs fan that says every September year after year we will contend for the stanley cup.

I mean come on Jeff Marek started his career on Live Audio Wrestling and now hes all of a sudden on HNIC? give me a break.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
habfan4

Quote:
That's why I've been embracing silence in the office, or listening to some cd's that'd gotten dusty. Warren Zevon vs. PJ Stock, no contest.

"And his hair was perfect"

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
i stopped listening to him since a while

he has no credibility in a town that its 100% habs and always try to stir **** up, 110% style

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Exactly the move I made myself today ten seconds after posting this thread. Ol' Warren had a unique writing style, I gotta say.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post

Anyone out there who actually enjoys his shtick?
Stock gets a lifetime pass from me for outing "he who shall not be named" for what he really is during trade deadline season a couple of months ago.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 04:27 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
i stopped listening to him since a while

he has no credibility in a town that its 100% habs and always try to stir **** up, 110% style
Trust me the town is not 100% habs

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 04:28 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post

"And his hair was perfect"
Would you believe me if I told you I already have that book marked ? I put that on in the car and the kids knew at 7 years old when to howl.

Old
04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Astaroth

He's not the greatest analyst but alot of his stuff is tongue in cheek and he's a pretty good guy so i find it hard to dislike him despite his ... opinions.

I despise Marinaro whose just horrendous.

But I don't listen to either them at work really.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
znk

I dont mind him....and some people need to figure out that he says alot of stuff just to get some reaction.

You have to remember that before your so called black hole we used to have to listen to ESPN radio..... I prefer Stock.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 05:02 PM
AD

Melnick > Casavant > Price > Picard > Marinaro > Stock > ESPN radio

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 05:07 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I love listening to sports radio. When I'm Toronto or New York I turn on the local Fan station and at home in Montreal I listen to the Team and CKAC.

BUT from the moment P.J. Stock comes on I last about two minutes before I get up and turn off the radio. If i try again later I generally don't last one minute. At 3 O'clock Melnick comes on and the radio comes on again. From 12-3 it's a no go zone, which sucks frankly, since I work at home and want to listen during that time slot.

I understand PJ's a bright, funny guy who likes to be a ***** disturber and doesn't want to be taken too seriously. Okay, fair enough, but he drones on and on and on, three hours a day, pretty much repeating a single idea- the habs suck because [insert today's reason here].

And so now, of course, the only local Montreal talking head on HNIC is ....PJ Stock. Great.

Anyone out there who actually enjoys his shtick?

I catched 110% a week ago or so... , he was talking to jean perron ... he was trying to explain to him what an underachiever kovalev was. He said he played with him, and he should be hitting defenders more... he basically openly said he didn't like him because of that

You know, while I can find him funny from time to time... what I hate about him is the fact that he always has something to say to argue... even if that doesn't make sense... and like you said... he always has something bad to say about the ch..

the guys I respect the most are the ones who actually won the cup... perron and demers....

Perron has trouble speaking properly sometimes, but he said 2 bloody years ago that bob gainey and carbo would turn it arround for us... and that kovalev was the most talented player ... he said kovy - rivet and sourray didn't get along... the two of them leave, and he's having a fantastic season... when you filter what he says a bit, you get the opinion of a guy that has been there... and that's worth more than what a goon says.

Demers, well ... when put ''under pressure'' in between two periods, he really struggles....hehe ... but when I saw him in a interview or when I read him in the papers... he really stands out from the rest of the RDS pannel ... I can think of mackenzie as the best ''insider'' ... but I can't stand the rest of the TSN pannel as well.... dregger.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

felt good to let that last one go guys... I feel like I pooped on dregger's head ...
shame on me

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
dre2112

Quote:
So, all in all, do ya like the station ?
I agree with bayrider. PJ Stock, Marinaro and the entire team at Team 990 are bush league. Maybe they need to take a step back and listen to other sports stations to see how they operate and how the hosts actually run a show. Listening to Tony and PJ is about the same as listening to casual fans talk about the team and bickering back and forth like a bunch of idiots.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
I catched 110% a week ago or so... , he was talking to jean perron ... he was trying to explain to him what an underachiever kovalev was. He said he played with him, and he should be hitting defenders more... he basically openly said he didn't like him because of that

You know, while I can find him funny from time to time... what I hate about him is the fact that he always has something to say to argue... even if that doesn't make sense... and like you said... he always has something bad to say about the ch..

the guys I respect the most are the ones who actually won the cup... perron and demers....

Perron has trouble speaking properly sometimes, but he said 2 bloody years ago that bob gainey and carbo would turn it arround for us... and that kovalev was the most talented player ... he said kovy - rivet and sourray didn't get along... the two of them leave, and he's having a fantastic season... when you filter what he says a bit, you get the opinion of a guy that has been there... and that's worth more than what a goon says.

Demers, well ... when put ''under pressure'' in between two periods, he really struggles....hehe ... but when I saw him in a interview or when I read him in the papers... he really stands out from the rest of the RDS pannel ... I can think of mackenzie as the best ''insider'' ... but I can't stand the rest of the TSN pannel as well.... dregger.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

felt good to let that last one go guys... I feel like I pooped on dregger's head ...
shame on me
If you've followed Kovalev's career and the expectations people had for him, you would know that he's right about Kovy. I'm glad he turned it around this year, glad cause he's a Hab when he did it. But one good season can't erase the past seasons he's had.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
LilWinger11

I like PJ's show. After talking with some of you fine (and not-so-fine) hockey minds here, a hockey n00b such as myself can realize she still has a lot to learn. When Stock says something dumb I usually a) realize it's dumb, and b) know why it's dumb. Makes me feel a little smarter.

Seriously, his love for the Bruins is hard to stomach (although it makes for after we beat them). Any chance we could talk WEEI in Boston into hiring him?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote