HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't Forget Avery only fights people his size or smaller

Old
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Fixed one for ya. It's true, while Avery had gained a reputation as a turtler (see Darcy Hordichuck), he has been scrapped with bigger guys. However, some of the guys on that list are not fighters. Richards, Kovalchuck, and Malone may be bigger, but they are hardly known for dropping the gloves. Kudos on Tucker, Walker, and Clarkson though.

Avery is a middle-level fighter, but his antics sometimes attract the A-list guys. Anybody expecting him to throw down with a heavyweight is going to be disappointed. He might be crazy, but not stupid.
Richards has had 16 NHL fights according to Hockeyfights.com in 3 seasons including preseason. He might not be the most frequent but he's not exactly shy either and the couple time I've seen him fight including the one with Avery he knows what he's doing. Malone has had 9 fights this season and is a big guy--as for the idea of Avery fighting true heavyweights there's no point as just about all of them are sub-par hockey players and fighting them doesn't benefit either the team or Avery.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Clarkson and Avery looked to be about the same size. Curious that Avery's that short cause I never knew that.

That was an awesome fight. I hope they throw down more often.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
From my opinion, I think that in his role as a pest... he sometimes has to back down. I mean, its gonna happen. Thats why they're annoying. They don't always back up their words... but they're effective (i.e. Kovalchuk). I see what you're saying, you can't expect them to fight a big man. But in the real world, a guy like that should expect to have to answer to anyone bigger than him.

So why some people knock Avery, I'll knock pests as a whole. Talk too much but really shouldn't. He's like that guy at the bar... Notice how the big guys don't really run their mouths. They don't have to
Yea, but that's the WHOLE point of a pest. To piss you off, get under your skin, throw you off your game. When a guy runs his mouth, and backs it up well enough, he earns respect. When a guy runs his mouth, and you want to fight him, but he won't do the same, that makes you more angry. It's all in the art of being a pest.

Let's say, for instance, someone takes a post whistle cheap shot at you (Punch, hit, slash, kick, whatever). If you were anywhere but a hockey game, you should get up and put the person in his place. But, since you're in the middle of the game, taking the hit without retaliating, even if it makes you look like a *****, is the best thing to do. Why? Draw a penalty, keep the other player on edge, because after all the cheap shot isn't the only thing the guy wanted.

Fighting when it is necessary is one thing, but refusing to fight (Let alone helping your team if you're a first liner like Aves) can help your team even more. What would you want, a player thrown off his game for the duration of the game, or one quick scrum?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i would assume avery won. and as for team unity here it is from Renney's mouth

“I like it,” he said. “It wasn’t malicious. It wasn’t stick swinging. It was within the rules of the game. We have to step up, so maybe this is the sign of a team saying, ‘That’s it. We have to be better every night."
Sam Weinman said Malik won.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk86 View Post
Whatever Avery did/say to Malik, it worked because he's ben played alot better lately.
Malik's game has been much better lately

Seriously though, this actually happened? Is that why Malik's missed the last few games?

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
NYR_Geoff1

Send a message via AIM to NYR_Geoff1
I think Avery should look for Hilary Duff in the stands, drop the gloves and then proceed smack the hell out of her

NYR_Geoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
RANGERS2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Malik's game has been much better lately

Seriously though, this actually happened? Is that why Malik's missed the last few games?
if im not mistaken it happenned while malik was scratched for that stretch like a month and a half ago just wish lurch would play like that during a game

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR_Geoff1 View Post
I think Avery should look for Hilary Duff in the stands, drop the gloves and then proceed smack the hell out of her
NICE! .....post of the year so far. If he could find a way to knock out Hannah Montana also, he would be like a god.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Black Tank

When Avery went after Clarkson and then after Malone it was to make a point that the Rangers knew the other team's game plan involved taking it to the Rangers physically. And that the Rangers don't care . . .

This is completely different from just even the first half of last year, pre-Avery and pre-Orr where the other team often got in the first 10 hits in a row and the Rangers played small.

He's got a good feel for momentum and usually drops the gloves to produce an effect.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
if im not mistaken it happenned while malik was scratched for that stretch like a month and a half ago just wish lurch would play like that during a game
That's nuts. I'm suprised we didn't hear of this sooner. What's the concensus Malik done for the season or what? He's been a healthy scratch, for 3 games now is it?

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
hlundqvist30*

Avery fights Malik, Malik gets all fiery, Avery screams at Mali, "Why can't you play in games like that?" All of a sudden Malik becomes solid. Coincidence? Reason #535678 why we should resign Avery.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Avery fights Malik, Malik gets all fiery, Avery screams at Mali, "Why can't you play in games like that?" All of a sudden Malik becomes solid. Coincidence? Reason #535678 why we should resign Avery.
Malik hasn't played for a week. Who cares?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
If i recall there was alot of talk around the HFboards earlier on in the season(around the time of his scrap with Kovalchuk) that Avery won't fight people bigger than he is. Well boys and girls that looks like it is not true. Eight fights so far this year(including pre-season) and he has fought most of them against guys bigger than he is.

Sean Avery Height: 5-9 , Weight: 195

Ilya Kovalchuk - Height: 6'2" Weight: 235lbs
Mike Richards - Height: 6' Weight: 192lbs
Darcy Tucker - Height: 5'11" Weight: 182lbs
Scott Walker - Height: 5'9" Weight: 185lbs
Patrick Kaleta - Height: 5'11" Weight: 195lbs
Marek Malik - Height: 6'6" Weight: 240lbs
David clarkson - Height: 6'1" Weight: 205lbs
Ryan Malone - Height: 6'4" Weight: 224lbs

Is this a joke? If anything you're just proving the point that he turtles and doesnt fight legitimate fighters. Kovalchuk? Richards? Walker? Kaleta? Seriously?

And he didnt fight Clarkson, Clarkson fought him. Clarkson jumped him, so it's not like he had a choice. Without seeing the game, I would guess the Malone "fight" is similar.

A word of advice: DO NOT BECOME A DEFENSE ATTORNEY

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 12:52 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Sean Avery Height: 5-9 , Weight: 195

Ryan Malone - Height: 6'4" Weight: 224lbs
How the hell did Malone lose that fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Without seeing the game, I would guess the Malone "fight" is similar.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:04 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I think Malik won actually
Malik won

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 09:09 AM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
How the hell did Malone lose that fight...
i dont think malone is a fighter, IMO i would compare him to trent hunter (obviously malone has more skill) they are both big guys, cant fight, can play on both sides of the ice.

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 09:11 AM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Is this a joke? If anything you're just proving the point that he turtles and doesnt fight legitimate fighters. Kovalchuk? Richards? Walker? Kaleta? Seriously?

And he didnt fight Clarkson, Clarkson fought him. Clarkson jumped him, so it's not like he had a choice. Without seeing the game, I would guess the Malone "fight" is similar.

A word of advice: DO NOT BECOME A DEFENSE ATTORNEY
richards and kaleta are very good fighters. I saw the richards v. avery fight and i thought it was a draw. Clarkson did win his fight and malone isnt really a fighter if you ask me.

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS2448 View Post
i kind of got the feeling that renney is being a little spiteful back for the stuff Lurch has pulled, since we are officially well *knock on wood* healthy on D, it was time to mess with Lurch and say who is the boss now

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote