HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Flames - Streak Busters...

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2004, 11:24 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Calgary Flames - Streak Busters...

But not in the good way...

In the past week, Calgary has broken 2 very bad losing skids for a couple of teams. First Chicago strolls in winless in 19 on the road, and beats the Flames. Now St. Louis, 1 point in their last 9 games, goes into Calgary and snuffs the Flames.

What the heck is going on here?

Old
02-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Heathen

Send a message via ICQ to Heathen Send a message via AIM to Heathen Send a message via MSN to Heathen Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

In the past week, Calgary has broken 2 very bad losing skids for a couple of teams. First Chicago strolls in winless in 19 on the road, and beats the Flames. Now St. Louis, 1 point in their last 9 games, goes into Calgary and snuffs the Flames.

Erm... we suck :mad: Nah... I'm not too worried just yet to be honest. But our goaltending situation needs to get sorted and we need to start play defence again.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:27 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

I don't know, but I told a buddy of mine today that I predict a St. Louis victory because it seems the Flames are jynxed in this area...he is a big Flames fan and didn't believe me...I think he knows now.

7 points back.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:28 PM
kruezer

Clearly they only beat the good teams, wait a minute maybe not,

They haven't been too special lately, just hanging out at .500 or so, lets hope this break rejuvinates them a tad, they just need to be solid, and word is Kipper will be ready for Tuesday against ATL.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Goaltending. Sutter has committed to play Roman Turak until the all star game. The result has been a roller coaster of luke warm and then very bad goaltending. The effect is a total loss of confidence by the team in front of him.

Similar parallel in Edmonton. Erratic goaltending and soft goals kill momentum and team confidence. For the Flames, Kiprosoff can't return fast enough...

Old
02-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Heathen

Send a message via ICQ to Heathen Send a message via AIM to Heathen Send a message via MSN to Heathen Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
For the Flames, Kiprosoff can't return fast enough...
Yeah but with the defence playing like it is... I don't think he'll get the same results as before.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Cerebral

Whew, good night for the Oilers.. Nashville, Calgary and Phoenix all lost. I'm going to go out on a crazy limb here and predict that Kiprusoff is not going to be nearly the player he was for the Flames prior to the injury. I don't know why but I just have a feeling he's really going to disapoint some fans upon his return..

Old
02-06-2004, 01:13 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Whew, good night for the Oilers.. Nashville, Calgary and Phoenix all lost. I'm going to go out on a crazy limb here and predict that Kiprusoff is not going to be nearly the player he was for the Flames prior to the injury. I don't know why but I just have a feeling he's really going to disapoint some fans upon his return..
I agree. It could take a few weeks to get back and I am not certain the Flames have those few weeks. Too bad. I am hoping they are in the final 8 (as long as they don't keep us out) But just as big a question is whether or not that crew has another gear to go to for the final 20-25 games. I think Sutter has started to wear them out but then, I always think the Sutters suck their teams dry by about the 60 game mark by winding them too tight at the beginning of the season.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Marconius

I think it has more to do with the type of team the Flames ice, it's so similar to The Oilers it's scary. Both teams have the abiility to go on extended points streaks. The Oilers have yet to find that streak this season, hopefully it's upcoming. The Flames had their streak earlier in the season. Both teams are also plagued by inconsistency problems, however. How many time have we seen the Oilers play ping pong bewteen playing well and playin horribly?
Without trying to be insulting, this seems to be the first season the Flames have stopped sucking and are now in the same echelon of teams the Oilers are in. The echelon of teams that will have 1 really hot streak, 1 really cold streak all balanced by general inconsistency. When the Flames were riding high earlier in the year, I'm sure Edmonton fans saw that as all to familiar. Now the Flames are on their downward spiral, the same spiral we've seen from the Oil in years past. Hopefully the Calgary hot streak burned bright enough to keep them in the playoffs. I'm all for as many Canadian teams making it as possible (even if that team happens to be the Flamers )

Old
02-06-2004, 02:03 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Without trying to be insulting, this seems to be the first season the Flames have stopped sucking and are now in the same echelon of teams the Oilers are in.
Interesting hypothesis. Not sure its true, but its very interesting.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen
Yeah but with the defence playing like it is... I don't think he'll get the same results as before.
I doubt very much Kipper will deliver the same results. However he will be an improvement both in net and for this team's psyche. Turok's soft goals and erratic play has been brutal. In front of the tenders, Gauthier (-6) for one has to be more disciplined in not getting out of position running after the big hit.

Closed Thread