HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Rooselk

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Rooselk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
A good friend of mine and I became "beer snobs" in college and it's stuck ever since...
Here in the Pacific Northwest it's very easy to become a beer snob since there are a great number of microbreweries in the region and good beer is readily available. Even in most supermarkets and grocery stores about half of the beer shelf space dedicated to microbrews. I don't even know of a tavern that doesn't have at least one microbrew on tap - but I know of many that don't carry beers like Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. Microbrews are also readily available at all sports arenas and stadiums in the region. One of my favorites is an IPA brewed in Portland, Oregon:

But I also enjoy Redhook IPA, Widmer Hefeweizen, and quite a few others. In fact recently I tried a new brew:

It's called Session Lager and is brewed by Full Sail in Hood River, Oregon. It's lighter than most ales and is an excellent everyday beer.

Old
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooselk View Post

It's called Session Lager and is brewed by Full Sail in Hood River, Oregon. It's lighter than most ales and is an excellent everyday beer.
That beer is money, I can drink about a thousand of them. Really, it's what run of the mill, everyday beer like Bud/Coors/Miller should taste like.

Old
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

I really like the beer from Great Lakes Brewing. I even been to their brewery in Cleveland and it is a very cool place, although the food is very lacking imo. But the beer is ofcourse excellent. I'd have to say my favorite from GLB is Edmund Fitz. Although the Dortmunder Gold is a very close second.

My favorite brewery is definately Victory Brewing. I think for selection and taste they can't be touched with Storm King, Sunrise Weisse and Whirlwind Wit being my favorites.

Other breweries I like are Penn Brewery, here in Pittsburgh. Their Penn Weizen is especially tasty. A brewery I don't think most Pittsburghers have heard of but makes real good beer is East End Brewery, their Big Hop is a hidden treasure. Troegs has some good stuff. The Rock Bottom here in Pittsburgh has some good beers. New Belgium is great, especially Fat Tire. I haven't had a bad beer from Saranac. Bell's is great, Two Hearted and Oberon are just great summer beers.

And other than Fathead's the best bar in Pittsburgh for Beer snobs has to be The Sharp Edge. They were voted the best Belgian bar in America and I think they deserve the distinction. They have something like 50 Belgians on tap. Including some that are just rediculously good and playful. And they serve every beer in the appropriate glass.

I could go on for days.....

Last edited by Goalie_Bob: 04-02-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old
04-02-2008, 06:55 PM
NANDOAL

Send a message via AIM to NANDOAL
Great topic! I'm also a beer snob myself.

My fav non-micro brew is Yuengling. Cheap, but very good most times.

As far as a better micro-brew my faves are :

New Belgium Brewery, Fat Tire (Denver beer. Can't get it anywhere around here)

Sam Adam's, Winter Lager (only seasonal. Hard to get.)

Great Lakes, Elliot Ness(only thing I like about Cleveland)

I just tried this new beer this week. Magic Hat Brewing Company out of Vermont. I got a sample back with 4 different kinds. The #9 and #8 were my favs. Very, very good! A must try.

Old
04-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
And other than Fathead's the best bar in Pittsburgh for Beer snobs has to be The Sharp Edge. They were voted the best Belgian bar in America and I think they deserve the distinction. They have something like 50 Belgians on tap. Including some that are just rediculously good and playful. And they serve every beer in the appropriate glass.
Man... Fatheads... do I ever miss that place! I agree with you that Sharp Edge is awesome. I also suggest that you check out the place that I linked in post 8 (D's Six Packs & Dogz) which has an awesome selection and another place in the southside called Dish which has a cool atmosphere and good beers (they invented (I kid you not) the guiness shake - phenomenal).

Old
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
rk50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDOAL View Post

I stocked up at x-mas and currently have 1 case left that I'm working on. Good choice.

Old
04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
nckd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDOAL View Post
Great topic! I'm also a beer snob myself.

My fav non-micro brew is Yuengling. Cheap, but very good most times.

As far as a better micro-brew my faves are :

New Belgium Brewery, Fat Tire (Denver beer. Can't get it anywhere around here)

Great Lakes, Elliot Ness(only thing I like about Cleveland)

I just tried this new beer this week. Magic Hat Brewing Company out of Vermont. I got a sample back with 4 different kinds. The #9 and #8 were my favs. Very, very good! A must try.
Magic Hat is ubiquitous up here (about 1/2 hr from Vermont, so...). I don't really like their stuff that much though. #9 is sort of fruity, maybe a bit of apricot? That's not really my thing.

EastEnd Brewery makes some good stuff, but I don't think they bottle.

I miss the Sharp Edge. Not a perfect bar, but the comparable beer snob bar here is really annoyingly snobby. As in, the bartender won't take your order if it's not "cool" enough, or you take more than 30 seconds looking at the 9 page menu, or if you're female, etc. I've dealt with enough tedious music geeks in my lifetime that I'm really not looking for that in a bar.

Old
04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
GlennTheFrog

Quote:
Man... Fatheads... do I ever miss that place! I agree with you that Sharp Edge is awesome. I also suggest that you check out the place that I linked in post 8 (D's Six Packs & Dogz) which has an awesome selection and another place in the southside called Dish which has a cool atmosphere and good beers (they invented (I kid you not) the guiness shake - phenomenal).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckd View Post
Magic Hat is ubiquitous up here (about 1/2 hr from Vermont, so...). I don't really like their stuff that much though. #9 is sort of fruity, maybe a bit of apricot? That's not really my thing.

I miss the Sharp Edge. Not a perfect bar, but the comparable beer snob bar here is really annoyingly snobby. As in, the bartender won't take your order if it's not "cool" enough, or you take more than 30 seconds looking at the 9 page menu, or if you're female, etc. I've dealt with enough tedious music geeks in my lifetime that I'm really not looking for that in a bar.
I love drinking at Sharp Edge. I go for the happy hour with some friends, drink three beers apiece, and then we wobble home. So awesome. And while we're on the subject of Belgians, Piraat is my beer of choice. That and whatever triple they have

Old
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

Quote:
Who needs a bottle when you can get a growler.

Old
04-03-2008, 07:58 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Man... Fatheads...
Ohhh yeahhh. i guess you could call me a regular in there... My name is on the wall 4 times and counting. I love it there namely because it's 4 blocks from my apt.

Old
04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
Who needs a bottle when you can get a growler.
I've been meaning to go down there and pick up a growler for months, but I never get around to it.

Old
04-04-2008, 03:28 PM
DockEllisExperience

Bottled my Imperial Amber... I think I might give it a Penguins themed name since I'll probably crack open the first one during a game. I want to get some input, it should be a hoppy yet well balanced beer similar to Nugget Nectar by Troegs.

I was thinking Igloo Amber

Old
04-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Homerocks*

Old Rasputin is a very doable imperial stout. If you're a stout fan, it's worth giving a shot. It's very well balanced for a stout.

Old
04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Clarence Beeks

To add to the list of porters, Zywiec is one of the best ones I've ever had. It has a great deep taste and weighs in at 9.5%; which is pretty darn good considering that it comes only in 500mL.

Old
04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Sorry

Quote:
I agree. My buddy is all about Magic Hat but i really don't like the taste of #9.

I have some of Victorys Donnybrook Stout in my fridge right now. Yum.

Old
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Have you guys had any of these new Michelob micro-brewery-ish beers they're advertising all of a sudden? They apparently had an identity crisis and decided they wanted to be Sam Adams. I am doubtful but will keep an open mind.

Old
04-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Have you guys had any of these new Michelob micro-brewery-ish beers they're advertising all of a sudden? They apparently had an identity crisis and decided they wanted to be Sam Adams. I am doubtful but will keep an open mind.
Speaking of an identity crisis. What is up with Budweiser claiming to be a lager now? Budweiser has always been a pilsner lager. I've had it after they started calling it "The Great American Lager" and it's still the same old pale pilsner lager.

If i sat down at a bar, asked for a lager and was handed a Budweiser. I'd probably fall off my chair laughing.

Old
04-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck Gar View Post
... they started calling it "The Great American Lager" and it's still the same old pale pilsner lager yellow water.
Fixed.

Old
04-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Clarence Beeks

Sticky status for the beer thread! Hell yeah!

Old
04-05-2008, 09:09 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Sticky status for the beer thread! Hell yeah!
I PM Evilo last night, so give him some thanks... We should get this renamed something more suave...

Old
04-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
I PM Evilo last night, so give him some thanks... We should get this renamed something more suave...
I already PM'd Servo about it (I didn't know which mod had done the sticky). I also asked for the other thread to be merged in. Thanks for making this happen!

Old
04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
I already PM'd Servo about it (I didn't know which mod had done the sticky). I also asked for the other thread to be merged in. Thanks for making this happen!
No problem, I love being at work on a beautiful Saturday morning with a hangover...

Old
04-05-2008, 10:03 AM
WVP

For those in the South Hills, I've been hearing that the Sharp Edge is opening another bar/restaraunt this summer in the Peters/McMurray area on Route 19.

Probably the best news ever.

Old
04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
For those in the South Hills, I've been hearing that the Sharp Edge is opening another bar/restaraunt this summer in the Peters/McMurray area on Route 19.

Probably the best news ever.
Nice I'm from the south hills (mtl) There is a bar in Bridgeville called the bottle shop, here's directions for anyone who is interested. REally hot waitresses for the most part and a great selection of bottled beer and an ok selection of tap beer. Not to mention every time I go there they manage to screw up the check and you get something for free. I think it's because you can just get a beer out of the cooler your self and the girls are the sharpest in the world.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bottl...ient=firefox-a

Old
04-05-2008, 10:33 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Nice I'm from the south hills (mtl) There is a bar in Bridgeville called the bottle shop, here's directions for anyone who is interested. REally hot waitresses for the most part and a great selection of bottled beer and an ok selection of tap beer. Not to mention every time I go there they manage to screw up the check and you get something for free. I think it's because you can just get a beer out of the cooler your self and the girls are the sharpest in the world.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bottl...ient=firefox-a
Yeah, you can probably drink for free there if you're sly about it.

That's not my favorite place to hang out, partly because it's a pretty odd crowd and it's the kind of place where people I don't want to see end up being. It's almost like a bottle shop in spite of its patrons. And it's a Penn State bar.

But I do pick up 6 or 12 packs there sometimes.

Closed Thread