HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mods: A request

Old
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I have this image of a spacecraft filled with moderators hovering over earth reigning moderation down on everyone.
It's a really nice one.

04-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Nich

Quote:
I have this image of a spacecraft filled with moderators hovering over earth reigning moderation down on everyone.
i never thought i would say this to anybody....but you smoke entirely to much marijuana

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i never thought i would say this to anybody....but you smoke entirely to much marijuana

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i try to avoid posting in controversial threads for teamsthat have large fan bases (Rangers, Canadiens, Maple Leafs...) because, although having a large fan base is great, it aslo means that there are more immature posterst that will flame you just because you like another team.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
MoonDragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That is a matter for the Devil mods.
Its even tighter on our side. We're not allowed to totally flame the Rangers fans who post on our forum or the thread gets locked.

Honestly, I don't mind the cross posting but when you guys come over and start talking crap about Brodeur, don't expect there not to be 3 or 4 people showing up here to talk crap about the Rangers. Theres always a cause and effect.

Just a couple weeks ago this Ranger fan came over and started an argument about which goalie was the greatest of all time. We're devils fans, of course we're gonna say Brodeur. Then he claims he was trying to have a civil discussion. Well, then do it on the main discussion board and not on the Devil's boards.

Anyway, I used to be a Ranger fan a long time ago and I really hold no grudges against the Rangers. I think the rivalry is good for ticket sales and it will be fun facing them in the playoffs. At least we'll both be selling out tickets.

MoonDragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And that's part of the problem. Devils mods allow their posters to say whatever they want about us, whether it be dousing us Rangers fans with aids tainted acid water, or whatever, but our mods close down or delete these kinds of comments when posted here (and rightly so.) Seems to me the rules should be the same in all forums.
That's not fair. Each board has their own identity with what is allowed to go. There was a thread started on here "larry Brooks ***** slaps Brodeur" I thought that was out of taste and was surprised it remained here... and is still not locked.

However, we attempted to start not one but 2 threads regarding the Avery-hooker rumors. Each one was locked immediately.

And apparently we can use some language in the Devils, and you can't here. I mean it goes both way, there is a balance between fun and stupid, insight and ignorance.

I hear garbage on both sides, and see trolling on both sides. You can't blame one side or another. I've been learning that some things can go on one board, and not the other. It works both ways.

Just last week I caught myself acting very immature... I took a step back and realized how childish I was acting. Sometimes some of us need to do that.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 04-03-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I thought it was the responsibility of all moderators?
"light blue", like me, only moderates their forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Now that we have a thread open I want to request something that makes it illegal to have thread titles like this: "prucha" or "straka" or "power play." I want to know what im clicking, its a title, not one word.
There was a brief period of time where we changed a few thread titles to be more specific, but then people think the thread is gone or it's a different thread altogether.

Basically, I'd say it would be helpful if users titled threads more carefully, because changing the title can sometimes cause more confusion than a very non-specific title.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
That's not fair. Each board has their own identity with what is allowed to go. There was a thread started on here "larry Brooks ***** slaps Brodeur" I thought that was out of taste and was surprised it remained here... and is still not locked.

However, we attempted to start not one but 2 threads regarding the Avery-hooker rumors. Each one was locked immediately.

And apparently we can use some language in the Devils, and you can't here. I mean it goes both way, there is a balance between fun and stupid, insight and ignorance.

I hear garbage on both sides, and see trolling on both sides. You can't blame one side or another. I've been learning that some things can go on one board, and not the other. It works both ways.

Just last week I caught myself acting very immature... I took a step back and realized how childish I was acting. Sometimes some of us need to do that.
If the Larry Brooks thread was posted in your thread, then by all means it should go because someone is trying to stir it up. But when it's here on the Rangers board, you don't really have to come here or click on it if you don't want to.

At least no one requested he be "doused with AIDS" in that thread. We can hate Marty and post about it on our own board. Why on earth should that be deleted? With all due respect you thought it was "out of taste" because it was about one of your team's players.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
If the Larry Brooks thread was posted in your thread, then by all means it should go because someone is trying to stir it up. But when it's here on the Rangers board, you don't really have to come here or click on it if you don't want to.

At least no one requested he be "doused with AIDS" in that thread. We can hate Marty and post about it on our own board. Why on earth should that be deleted? With all due respect you thought it was "out of taste" because it was about one of your team's players.
out of taste was not the way i wanted to describe it, bad choice of words. I thought the title alone invited trouble, you have to admit it begs Devil fans to come over.

And we started a thread on our board regarding Avery. The Mods deleted it because they felt it would turn into trouble. its two different ways to look at it. It appears your guys will leave it going, and as long as its Rangers only it shouldn't turn into trouble. Our guys figure everyone can come into the boards, but a board inviting trouble should be shutdown cause they don't want trouble. In both cases the moderators are trying to keep peace and insight going

As for the dousing with AIDs, yea thats off-color. I'm not defending the guy as a devils' fan, I'm defending him from a comedy perspective. I have that same sense of horrible humor. The more horrible sounding something is, the funnier it is (cause in reality you don't want it to happen/be that way... so its a joke, hard to describe... kinda like "dead baby" jokes. You don't actually want a dead baby... whatever) Difference is, I know most people cringe at the jokes I find funny, so I don't let them or my humor loose to the public. So on those grounds, he's wrong. But I don't think it was a malicious thing... just his style of humor

Old
04-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Mr Bojanglez

Quote:

PS one of your moderators informed me that if I wanted to start a Larry Brook's thread on my forum, that it would be just fine. So maybe your ideas of whats ok and their ideas are a little off

Old
04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:

Damn I missed that one, I didn't know Little Jimmy Norton was a Devils fan.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Although there has to be a spot open, correct? Something like that happened on the Islanders' board not too long ago.
Nah, like Singn said, that's not really true. For a long time, the Isles board had one mod. Then a second was added and then a third (yours truly). Then one left and we went down to two. After a while, we decided to go back up to three and then not long after that, another one left so now we're at two again. No plan to go to three right now but it is possible that we might at some point.

04-03-2008, 04:12 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Wow...Rangers, Islanders and Devils fans having a mature discussion with substance...take a picture ladies and gents, and then apply it to hockey talk on eachothers boards!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
That would be the mothership you're thinking of.

Anyway, the mods here (and on the other teams' boards) do a good job of fending off the trolls. It's hard to draw the line between criticism of a team by an outsider and flaming/trolling by an outsider. And the reaction by a fanbase can be so testy when they get defensive. I agree that it's often not even worth posting on other teams' boards. I get a much better reception when I post on the boards of Western conference teams than anyone in the Atlantic division. I don't get outright flamed but I'm usually ignored, probably the result of some perceived "stealth troll" I'm believed to be making that isn't even there.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Wow...Rangers, Islanders and Devils fans having a mature discussion with substance...take a picture ladies and gents, and then apply it to hockey talk on eachothers boards!
we should have an atlantic division lounge with no hockey talk this way maybe if we can talk to each other about other things than maybe there wont be as many pissing matches come game time. i mean i have alot of friends that are rangers, pens, isles, and flyers fans and sure we argue but still we dont it doesnt turn into a ****fest like some of these GDT's and other threads and i obviously dont hate them and can speak civilly to them about things, including hockey

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
The Thomas J.*

[QUOTE=TomLaidlaw;13424759]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
How do you become a mod?[/QUOTE]

3 ways:

1)Natural way. You wait for one of them to die, like the Pope.

2)Mafia way. You kill one of them outside a steak house.

3)Highlander way. You chop one of their heads off in order to absorb their power. (nerd alert)
Does it have to be a steak house?

Highlander way, good times

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:08 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Although there has to be a spot open, correct? Something like that happened on the Islanders' board not too long ago.

You can't just have a million moderators on a given board. It would probably also help if that person has been around for a very long time, has a very high post count, no warnings/infractions, and a history of being a helpful or calming influence on the board he or she posts to most. Having the personal time to devote to the job or a history of successfully moderating or administrating boards elsewhere on the tubes probably won't hurt either.

Oh, and you have to be able to flip things cleanly in a frying pan. With one hand.
HEY, I CAN DO THAT! SIGN ME UP!

Old
04-03-2008, 06:10 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Ahhhhhhh what a beautuful image, I'd love to be an ensign on that ship.

Old
04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

But conversely there was a thread on your forum that remained open for several days titled "OT: Rags will continue to play in world's ugliest arena." I guess the bottom line is we all need to take things a bit less seriously.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Im certainly not starting this thread due to any lack of a sense of humor etc etc.

I can take some jokes and ribbing and hand them out with the best...

I just dont need to see the All Crosby Defense Team drop in and tell us how amazing he is on THIS subforum. The increasing regularity is what's becoming such an annoyance.

Its fine if we talk about the 7-0 streak on the Debs HERE... but if we go to the Debs board and do it... its a pretty asinine thing to do.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
It appears your guys will leave it going, and as long as its Rangers only it shouldn't turn into trouble. Our guys figure everyone can come into the boards, but a board inviting trouble should be shutdown cause they don't want trouble.
Any controversial thread has it's problems, and the Brooks one isn't exempt. We're willing to do the housekeeping on a troll-magnet thread if there's an underlying interesting discussion. We don't want the tiny minority of trouble makers to ruin it for everyone whenever possible, so anyone coming just to troll will face the consequences and the discussion will carry on without them.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The feeling of all the NYR mods is that we're not here to censor the discussion as long as it's within the guidelines of the rules. It's a public forum, not an exclusive Ranger fans social club, and I think a different point of view is interesting most of the time even if I don't agree with it.

Like RX said, it would be great if users would simply put other users that they cannot tolerate on ignore. It's the responses that trolls get that perpetuate their behavior and make our jobs a nightmare. If you see something that's legitimate trolling, report it so that an administrator or global mod can deal with if one of us is not around.

I will say, it gets easier to identify and deal with chronic trolls during a series. Devils fans that don't want to join the discussion in a civil manner here next week will be banned from the forum until the series is over, possibly longer.
I finally started doing that.

And honestly, it's made HFboards a much better experience.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But conversely there was a thread on your forum that remained open for several days titled "OT: Rags will continue to play in world's ugliest arena." I guess the bottom line is we all need to take things a bit less seriously.
I come in peace.

That thread was open for about 6 hours. The thread was only going to cause trouble.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 09:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs4thCup View Post
I come in peace.

That thread was open for about 6 hours. The thread was only going to cause trouble.
If that is the case I apologize for my mistake.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote