HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What is your opinion about Espoo and Blues?

Old
04-05-2008, 12:57 PM
pihinalle

vCash: 500
There are no real cities in Finland. Just poor villages.

pihinalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
"Espoo is the second largest city of Finland, with a population of approximately 235,000."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espoo
Nothing to do the orginal points about look/feel of Espoo. And nothing new either. Common knowledge.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Nothing to do the orginal points about look/feel of Espoo. And nothing new either. Common knowledge.
OK now I'm lost. There are over 400 villages/communities/regions/or whatever you call kunta in english. Some of them are cities as well and others aren't. It has nothing to do with how they look or feel, they either are or they aren't.

Espoo IS a city, its official name is City of Espoo. And I don't know what the hell are you people arguing about.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 02:48 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Espoo IS a city, its official name is City of Espoo. And I don't know what the hell are you people arguing about.
aren't cities much bigger?

i'd say espoo is a town.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post

i'd say espoo is a town.
Yeah. Town which isn't even looking like big, just villages all over Espoo's land and under one flag of Espoo. It really isn't having any centre, not any kind of city feeling. It could be 5 villages/small towns as well, since those parts aren't really any kind of long history together etc.

Old
04-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post

i'd say espoo is a town.
What's the difference between a town and city? In finnish language they both have the same translation: kaupunki. And Espoo is a kaupunki, such as Turku, Tampere, Oulu... which are even smaller cities/towns than Espoo by population.

Quote:
Yeah. Town which isn't even looking like big, just villages all over Espoo's land and under one flag of Espoo. It really isn't having any centre, not any kind of city feeling. It could be 5 villages/small towns as well, since those parts aren't really any kind of long history together etc.
Again you're talking about your own personal 'feeling' which has nothing to do with this discussion. Espoo has a city council etc. and according to wikipedia, gained 'city rights' in 1972.

I guess I have already gotten my point across and since my arguments are based on facts (instead of personal 'feelings') that cannot be argued with, I am done with this discussion.

Last edited by Jeepers Creeper: 04-05-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old
04-05-2008, 05:19 PM
zecke26

Quote:
What's the difference between a town and city? In finnish language they both have the same translation: kaupunki. And Espoo is a kaupunki, such as Turku, Tampere, Oulu... which are even smaller cities/towns than Espoo by population.
well, the definitions of cities, towns and villages differ from country to country. so i finland there's no difference, while in most US states (at least from what i know) a town is something not as big as city and not as small as a village. i somewhere heard that you can call it a town until around 500.000. if it's bigger than it's a city. but like i said, it differs from country to country and from US state to US state.

if you in finland don't differ and just call it kaupunki (funny language ) then espoo is without a doubt a city. beautiful or not doesn't really matter.

helsinki, espoo, vantaa and kauniainen are independent cities and the whole region is an agglomeration.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
So Espoo is basically the New Jersey of Finland? Without the smelly bits.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
So Espoo is basically the New Jersey of Finland? Without the smelly bits.
Yeah and every1 except prolly some Espoo ppl do understand it. Hell even some my friends living in Espoo do say the same thing.

Quote:
Again you're talking about your own personal 'feeling' which has nothing to do with this discussion. Espoo has a city council etc. and according to wikipedia, gained 'city rights' in 1972.

I guess I have already gotten my point across and since my arguments are based on facts (instead of personal 'feelings') that cannot be argued with, I am done with this discussion.
Yeah, and missed mine(and others as well). Espoo doesn't differ from other suburbans when coming out from Helsinki. Actually some parts of Helsinki feel more outside than some parts of Espoo.

Again, Espoo doesn't feel like one "big city", but small different villages/towns gathered under one Espoo. Visit Turku, Tampere or even Lahti/Oulu and you should understand the difference. It's not just about me, but as others as well. As I did say, I like Espoo, but it really doesn't feel like city compared to other "citys" in Finland. Without Helsinki Espoo wouldn't be anything anyway.

Last edited by Joretus: 04-06-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old
04-06-2008, 03:57 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Again, Espoo doesn't feel like one "big city", but small different villages/towns gathered under one Espoo. Visit Turku, Tampere or even Lahti/Oulu and you should understand the difference. It's not just about me, but as others as well. As I did say, I like Espoo, but it really doesn't feel like city compared to other "citys" in Finland. Without Helsinki Espoo wouldn't be anything anyway.
This is one of the most ridicolous opinion that i have ever seen written in hfboards. I dont really give a **** about it but let me still answer:

Quote:
Again, Espoo doesn't feel like one "big city", but small different villages/towns gathered under one Espoo. Visit Turku, Tampere or even Lahti/Oulu and you should understand the difference.

this is a poor stereotype. There are no actually so huge distances between the places of espoo. Espoo is a huge city of suburban and thats why its something special. There is no centrum in espoo but that does not make it a village. in espoo here are much more ppl living than in for example lahti, oulu, tampere and other places of freaks. espoonians are rich and wealthy.

Quote:
Without Helsinki Espoo wouldn't be anything anyway.
What do u actually mean with this stupid comment? wouldnt be nothing without helsinki? helsinki has nothing to do with espoo. helsinkians leave helsinki for espoo just to live in a terraced house or in a house not in a dirty old apartment like in smelly city of helsinki. we abuse helsinki when it comes to the getting the job.

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOfFame View Post
What do u actually mean with this stupid comment? wouldnt be nothing without helsinki? helsinki has nothing to do with espoo. helsinkians leave helsinki for espoo just to live in a terraced house or in a house not in a dirty old apartment like in smelly city of helsinki. we abuse helsinki when it comes to the getting the job.
Maybe you should learn some basic geographics etc. You can start to read with that wiki-link which blacklabel gave us. Gives you good start. Why Espoo have been getting bigger? Because of Helsinki. Why Espoo is actually formed? Because of Helsinki. Why ppl have been moving to Espoo? Because of Helsinki. Some ppl don't want to pay more to live closer to Helsinki centre, some want to live in more freely environments, some want to live more like they did live in some other areas in Finland.

If you still fail to see why Espoo(or Vantaa) wouldn't be anything or would have more than couple of thousands ppl living over there you should read some books about Espoo or Vantaa or any other towns getting bigger because them being neighbour of capital cities in their own nations. So Helsinki has everything to do with Espoo, if you fail to see the reason, well you have no common sense at all.

Hard to understand why for Espoo ppl it would be so hard to understand reasons why Espoo doesn't feel much of city nor it feels any different than other suburbans which Helsinki have.

And I could say(once more) I like Espoo, but it really isn't city compared to Turku or Tampere, not same way. But it's still nice place to live and be. Having bigger population doesn't mean being more citylike. And it's better when town isn't too crowded.

Old
04-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, and missed mine(and others as well). Espoo doesn't differ from other suburbans when coming out from Helsinki. Actually some parts of Helsinki feel more outside than some parts of Espoo.
I get what you are saying. But what you are saying is completely irrelevant with this discussion. THE FACT is Espoo is a city, that's what I've been saying. Your personal OPINION is that Espoo doesn't feel like a city, and that is completely irrelevant.

It's like I would say "Dion Phaneuf didn't get nominated for the Calder two years ago because I don't feel he deserved to get nominated". You get what I am saying? You can't dispute facts with your own personal opinion.

Quote:
Visit Turku, Tampere or even Lahti/Oulu and you should understand the difference.
What difference? They are all cities. City of Turku, City of Tampere, City of Oulu and City of Espoo.

Quote:
Without Helsinki Espoo wouldn't be anything anyway.
LOL. What the hell is that supposed to mean? Just because you are starting to realize that I am talking about facts you can't argue with just deal with it, but don't get bitter and start bashing Espoo.

Old
04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Jokerit Wasp

Jeeeeeeeeeeez....

As an outsider with no ties to Helsinki, Oulu, Espoo or any other place in Finland, i would basically agree that Espoo is what it is due to Helsinki. And, its not really a city in my eyes (neither is Kemi, which is also classed as a city in Finnish terms) but a district.

The comment about Helsinki being crappy and you using it just for work, is laughable to be honest. Helsinki is one of the nicest cities in Europe IMO and doesnt deserve a slagging off.

Jokerit Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Antenna13

My Dad has a bigger city than all of your dads' which aren't even cities but meager villages!

One thing has always puzzled me about Blues.

Their owner Salonoja inherited all his money from his uncle (or some such close relative), who had made it as the inventor of the Blue Sausage, that infamous people's sausage made of anything but meat. After becoming rich and buying Kiekko-Espoo Salonoja then changed the name to Blues and introduced the "B" logo, which to me has always inevitably looked like two of those curved Blue Sausages put side to side.

Now, was this intentional celebration of the origin of his wealth, or did he just want his team to sport a patriotic/political right wing color with a nice logo to go with, being unaware of any implications? If he in fact realized that his team will resemble those sausages and still cunningly went for it I raise my hat to him in awe.

But I have to say Blues have done a fine job recently with their own youth. They have given several of their own guys a real chance to break through, and they have. Kind of reminds me of what Kärpät have done earlier this decade to become what they are now. Blues truly deserve their silver medals now.

Last edited by Antenna13: 05-19-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Antenna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit Wasp View Post
The comment about Helsinki being crappy and you using it just for work, is laughable to be honest. Helsinki is one of the nicest cities in Europe IMO and doesnt deserve a slagging off.
Helsinki one of the nicest cities in Europe? Seriously? I strongly disagree but each of their own I guess. IMO Helsinki is one of the crappiest cities in Europe (if only speaking of capitals).

Old
04-06-2008, 10:19 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Why Espoo is actually formed? Because of Helsinki. Why ppl have been moving to Espoo? Because of Helsinki.
This doesnt tell about the effect of Hellsinki. This tells about the fact that espoo is much nicer place to live. Every city gets ppl from other places.

Helsinki ppl actually want a metro to espoo while we dont really give a ****.

I think you are complitely retard.

Old
04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Helsinki one of the nicest cities in Europe? Seriously? I strongly disagree but each of their own I guess. IMO Helsinki is one of the crappiest cities in Europe (if only speaking of capitals).
I agree 100 %.
If u comepare to prague, london, paris, stockholm, monaco, berlin, moscow u can easily see how ugly place helsinki really is. there are no many poor guys cause of the great health-care system and huge taxes around the whole country of finland, but shopping places, weather, atmostphere and sightseengs are really crappy and sweaty to be honest which is actually so true that its difficult for joretus to believe it.

Old
04-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Jokerit Wasp

hehe, guess its all a matter of opinion Personally from that list I would have Helsinki way ahead of London, Paris and Monaco, though i agree that Stockholm, Prague and Berlin are cool cities.

All depends what you like i suppose.

Old
04-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Joretus

Quote:
What difference? They are all cities. City of Turku, City of Tampere, City of Oulu and City of Espoo.
They are formed cities without ties to other cities like Espoo have to Helsinki. They have history and they are build like one city, not like Espoo with is more like a lot of "Kauppala's" still without being one city.

Yes it's city like Järvenpää, Kerava or lets say Vantaa, but it's lacking same kind of cityfeel like Tampere or Turku. That's because of the way the Espoo have been builded up. And it's not just my feel, but you can ask even professionals(city planners, etc.) which are more like cities Tampere, Turku or Espoo. And it's not bashing which I'll come later on.

Quote:
LOL. What the hell is that supposed to mean? Just because you are starting to realize that I am talking about facts you can't argue with just deal with it, but don't get bitter and start bashing Espoo.
I'm not bashing Espoo. You just don't understand that I do like Espoo, but it isn't really city, but district/suburban for Helsinki.

And it's mean same as Vantaa would be nothing relevant without Helsinki. Same goes(but with not so much substance since they are small towns anyway) for Järvenpää, Kerava, etc.

How I could be bitter, since I like Espoo. Much more than Helsinki. I could live in Espoo, but not really in Helsinki. Have been a lot in both places, friends, relatives living in there. It's not bashing to say it doesn't really feel like city. And you can ask even ppl living in there it doesn't really feel like one city, but different towns all over place, close to Helsinki.

Quote:
I think you are complitely retard.
Yeah, we can see your argumentation skills in here in every topic you are posting well. You are in fine place to go personal insults.

Last edited by Joretus: 04-06-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old
04-06-2008, 10:57 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Yeah, we can see your argumentation skills in here in every topic you are posting well. You are in fine place to go personal insults.
the most difficult thing is to admit own stupidity.

Old
04-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Joretus

Quote:
the most difficult thing is to admit own stupidity.
Seems like you have been going over it already, which is nice. Of course some ppl do prefer about talking about topics, not speakers/writers. And it's always nice to show own lack of common sense when going personal insults.

Old
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
They are formed cities without ties to other cities like Espoo have to Helsinki. They have history and they are build like one city, not like Espoo with is more like a lot of "Kauppala's" still without being one city.

Yes it's city like Järvenpää, Kerava or lets say Vantaa, but it's lacking same kind of cityfeel like Tampere or Turku. That's because of the way the Espoo have been builded up. And it's not just my feel, but you can ask even professionals(city planners, etc.) which are more like cities Tampere, Turku or Espoo. And it's not bashing which I'll come later on.

I'm not bashing Espoo. You just don't understand that I do like Espoo, but it isn't really city, but district/suburban for Helsinki.

And it's mean same as Vantaa would be nothing relevant without Helsinki. Same goes(but with not so much substance since they are small towns anyway) for Järvenpää, Kerava, etc.

How I could be bitter, since I like Espoo. Much more than Helsinki. I could live in Espoo, but not really in Helsinki. Have been a lot in both places, friends, relatives living in there. It's not bashing to say it doesn't really feel like city. And you can ask even ppl living in there it doesn't really feel like one city, but different towns all over place, close to Helsinki.
I guess we have to just agree to disagree. Apparently we have completely different opinion on Espoo and its 'city feeling'. This is going nowhere.

Old
04-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Joretus

Quote:
I guess we have to just agree to disagree. Apparently we have completely different opinion on Espoo and its 'city feeling'. This is going nowhere.
Yeah. And there isn't anything wrong being opposite minded as long you(or in this case we) can be civilized about it. And not being like some others, won't say any names of course

Old
04-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Sampe

Having visited Bangkok and Nonthaburi in Thailand, I'm not even sure that Helsinki would register as a city if we only go by feelings. Nonthaburi would be nothing without Bangkok and only has a small fraction of Bangkok's population, yet it's the 2nd biggest city in Thailand and feels much more like a city than Helsinki.

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Jokerit Wasp