HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

What is your opinion about Espoo and Blues?

Old
04-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Joretus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe View Post
Having visited Bangkok and Nonthaburi in Thailand, I'm not even sure that Helsinki would register as a city if we only go by feelings. Nonthaburi would be nothing without Bangkok and only has a small fraction of Bangkok's population, yet it's the 2nd biggest city in Thailand and feels much more like a city than Helsinki.
Well obviously if you are comparing Helsinki to any of real cities, then Finland doesn't have any cities in that way. But it was about Finland and inside of here. Helsinki feels village even compared to Stockholm so don't have to go too far away to feel how small finnish cities are.

Then again I don't mind. And I haven't ever understand why you should be living in the biggest possible city, etc. Just seeing how ppl in this topic are so keen to keep their own town up with "it's real city with huge downtown" etc. For me one of the best parts living in Finland have always been that there is still nature close to you while there is lets say busses close by to give you short trip for needed services.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 06:43 AM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
I live in Espoo and technically speaking it is a city and there's nothing wrong with calling it a city.. but I must admit it does feel like a group of small towns.. for example I live in Friisilä and when I go to for instance Leppävaara if I didn't know better I'd think I was going from town to town instead of inside a city.. but Espoo is a awesome place and to be honest I probably enjoy it more than I would living in Helsinki.. but when it comes to the weekends Helsinki is usually where I am at

But anyway... GO BLUES! wish i had a ticket to the game tonight but I'll probably just be watching it from a sports bar

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:01 AM
voloshenko18

I think Kiekko-Espoo is better name.

voloshenko18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:02 AM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Helsinki feels village even compared to Stockholm so don't have to go too far away to feel how small finnish cities are.
now you are complitely lost. Helsinki's population is half million while Stockholm has onlu abour 300 000 citisians more. Saying that Helsinki is a village compared to Stockholm makes me thinking more and more that you are a pure troll..

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 nipple finn View Post
I live in Espoo and technically speaking it is a city and there's nothing wrong with calling it a city.. but I must admit it does feel like a group of small towns.. for example I live in Friisilä and when I go to for instance Leppävaara if I didn't know better I'd think I was going from town to town instead of inside a city.. but Espoo is a awesome place and to be honest I probably enjoy it more than I would living in Helsinki.. but when it comes to the weekends Helsinki is usually where I am at
Good that some1 understand my point as well. Like it's not just about population or status of the town. But geographic things, history, buildingways etc.

Nice that here is still some posters who can write about things and not going blind when ever some1 isn't agreeing anything with them. And some1 aren't so much about statuses either.

Old
04-07-2008, 08:48 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOfFame View Post
now you are complitely lost. Helsinki's population is half million while Stockholm has onlu abour 300 000 citisians more. Saying that Helsinki is a village compared to Stockholm makes me thinking more and more that you are a pure troll..
eh. Stockholm has about 1,1 million inhabitants O_o

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
eh. Stockholm has about 1,1 million inhabitants O_o
in 2006 it were just close to 800k.

solna and other "kaupunkis" () doesn't count to the city of stockholm. the agglomeration might be about 1.1mill though.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Sampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Well obviously if you are comparing Helsinki to any of real cities, then Finland doesn't have any cities in that way. But it was about Finland and inside of here. Helsinki feels village even compared to Stockholm so don't have to go too far away to feel how small finnish cities are.

Then again I don't mind. And I haven't ever understand why you should be living in the biggest possible city, etc. Just seeing how ppl in this topic are so keen to keep their own town up with "it's real city with huge downtown" etc. For me one of the best parts living in Finland have always been that there is still nature close to you while there is lets say busses close by to give you short trip for needed services.
Yeah, I prefer exactly the same type of living. But I also think that it's pretty common and natural to be proud of your roots, and in this case the city/town/village you're from. Some of the early comments in this thread could be easily interpreted as disrespectful towards Espoo, so seeing someone defend it didn't surprise me.

The reason I mentioned Nonthaburi is that its status is exactly the same as Espoo's: officially the 2nd biggest city in the country, but basically a suburb of an even bigger city. Population wise, it's actually smaller in relation to Bangkok than Vantaa is in relation to Helsinki. But it still looks bigger than any city in Scandinavia. Should such a case be classified as a city or as a town?

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampe View Post
Some of the early comments in this thread could be easily interpreted as disrespectful towards Espoo, so seeing someone defend it didn't surprise me.
Well some yes, but same time saying something about "your own thing" doesn't always mean it being negative or disrespectful. And at least going ballistic and personal insults won't help.

And about other case, as I did say it depends what are you trying to measure or what is the subject. Is it Thailand, Finland, Europe, Asia, whole world, etc.

Old
04-17-2008, 01:04 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
City!? Where? ...enjoy the silver medal.
haha seriously. tho i dont disagree that its a city. every country has different standards depending on population/area. its a city alright, but once the comparisons start...it gets complicated.

where i lived in mankkaa made me wanna slit my wrists some days. heck even my landlords cat looked depressed. then again, last fall was one of the more dreary ones im told. i do like however tapiola and leppävaara. being from new york, espoo was def a change of pace for me. i felt like i was perpetually camping. but when i moved to turku, i enjoyed my time so much better i have to say. my apartment was a stones throw from the aurajoki and 5 minute walk to the center. i have love for espoo since it was the first place i lived when i moved to finland, but it was too sparsely populated for me. when walking to the local lidl is ur best form of entertainment...theres a problem. then again....mankkaa was the cheapest place i could find in such short notice. as for the blues, meh, TPS for me.

oh and helsinki being crappy? come on now

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Finnish Flasher

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=6...18711&t=h&z=16

Does this look like a city?

Finnish Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote