HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Feb 6 Spector's rumours

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 05:41 AM
FacelessButcher

vCash: 500
Feb 6 Spector's rumours

Spectors has quite a few rumours with the all-star break on the horizon.

THE LATEST ON THE OILERS
"EDMONTON SUN: Terry Jones reports Oilers GM Kevin Lowe commented on those players on his roster whose names have popped up in recent trade speculation. He said Ryan Smyth was "a high-priced guy you have to keep" and doesn't want to move Jason Smith while he still has potentially five good years remaining in him. Lowe did admit that if a team came offering up a young powerplay defenceman that he'd "entertain some names.'' Lowe also doesn't plan to shop any of his promising young players or prospects.

Spector's Note: If Lowe is shopping for a powerplay defenceman, it doesn't seem likely he'll move a defenceman as previously believed, although Eric Brewer's name was conspicuous by it's absence in Lowe's conversation with Jones."

Buffalo talk for those wanting either Biron or Noronen-

BUFFALO WON'T SHOP BIRON
"BUFFALO NEWS: Tim Graham reports the play of Sabres goaltender Martin Biron is a key reason why the club remains "within shouting distance" of a playoff berth. Team management is placing it's playoff hopes on Biron, and Graham believes this means the club won't be shopping him while his trade value is high. GM Darcy Regier said he's happy with the play of Biron and backup Mika Noronen and sees no reason to trade either one.

Spector's Note: If the Sabres fall out of the playoff race speculation will grow that Biron could be shopped after all, but personally I don't believe Regier will do it. He'll look to the future with Biron and Noronen backstopping his promising young team."

Old
02-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Spectors has quite a few rumours with the all-star break on the horizon.

THE LATEST ON THE OILERS
"EDMONTON SUN: Terry Jones reports Oilers GM Kevin Lowe commented on those players on his roster whose names have popped up in recent trade speculation. He said Ryan Smyth was "a high-priced guy you have to keep" and doesn't want to move Jason Smith while he still has potentially five good years remaining in him. Lowe did admit that if a team came offering up a young powerplay defenceman that he'd "entertain some names.'' Lowe also doesn't plan to shop any of his promising young players or prospects.

Spector's Note: If Lowe is shopping for a powerplay defenceman, it doesn't seem likely he'll move a defenceman as previously believed, although Eric Brewer's name was conspicuous by it's absence in Lowe's conversation with Jones."
With the play of Lynch and the acquisition of Woywitka, maybe Lowe has a bit more options and could entertain offers for Brew. I'd hate to see either Smith or Brewer go but maybe Brewer, even tho he's younger may be more expendable than Smith. There are nottoo many defensement like Smith who play hardnose and play hurt.

Now if they ever move Brewer, it'll have to be a win for the Oilers. With Brewer, Lowe should have the opportunity to have the highest bidder overpay.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:08 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Brewer more expendable? This kid has been in the top two for Ice time for Oilers this year. Jason Smith is a UFA after this season - Smith definately is the guy I'd rather see moved!

Old
02-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Brewer more expendable? This kid has been in the top two for Ice time for Oilers this year. Jason Smith is a UFA after this season - Smith definately is the guy I'd rather see moved!
I guess my point was that Woywitka could be a possible replacement for Brewer but I don't think the Oilers have anyone who could provide what Smith brings to the table. Hey, I'm not starting a "Trade Brewer" thread because quite frankly I hope he stays with the club. But I could see management looking at moving him if they can get, as the initial post said, a powerplay defenseman or if Brewer can get the Oilers that big elusive centreman they've been looking, you wouldn't trade him? C'mon.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:49 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
BUFFALO WON'T SHOP BIRON
"BUFFALO NEWS: Tim Graham reports the play of Sabres goaltender Martin Biron is a key reason why the club remains "within shouting distance" of a playoff berth. Team management is placing it's playoff hopes on Biron, and Graham believes this means the club won't be shopping him while his trade value is high. GM Darcy Regier said he's happy with the play of Biron and backup Mika Noronen and sees no reason to trade either one.

Spector's Note: If the Sabres fall out of the playoff race speculation will grow that Biron could be shopped after all, but personally I don't believe Regier will do it. He'll look to the future with Biron and Noronen backstopping his promising young team."
.. so what does he do with Miller?

Old
02-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Allan

Quote:
Jason Smith is a UFA after this season
No, he isn't.

Old
02-06-2004, 08:50 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Wouldn't promising young player mean Brewer?

Old
02-06-2004, 09:26 AM
copperandblue

For a while I was getting a little nervous with how much Brewer's name kept coming up in rumours but after hearing MacT talk about him last night, I get the impression that at the very least, HE expects Brewer to be around here for a long time.

Obviously Lowe is the ultimate decision maker in this but I think MacT has quite a bit of influence in determining what this team needs and doesn't need. In fact I believe he threw out something in the lines of the roster moves that have been made in the past have all been essentially roundtabled as a group prior to doing them.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Wouldn't promising young player mean Brewer?
I would think so although Lowe won't be able to get a good return if he trades one of his marginal players. If he's gonna get what he calls a powerplay defenseman, he's gonna have to pay for it.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:12 AM
speeds

well, Smith only has 5 good years in him if they sign him to some sort of extension, so maybe that's what Lowe is partially hinting at here?

I'd be more than happy to see the Oilers keep him for the future because of just what Lowe says, he will be good for awhile yet. But Smith being good for 5 more years only helps the Oilers if it is playing for the Oilers.

I still say if EDM's defintiely out of the playoffs by the deadline Smith's value will be too much via trade for Lowe to keep him UNLESS he's signed to a reasonable 3-4 year extension. Just way too much uncertainty to not trade him, given his potential arb payday, possible UFA status, upcoming CBA,etc.

Who knows, maybe you can trade him at the deadline and get some more young potentially core pieces, let him play elsewhere for a year, and re-sign him as a UFA under potentially more favorable post-CBA circumstances?

Last edited by speeds: 02-06-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old
02-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Matts

Well Wesley was UFA

whereas Gator is RFA but he came back to the Canes after that brief Cup run with the Leaves

So maybe new rules would have Gator as a UFA and we could bring him back. But that's a multitude of moves away.

In the here and now I think you made a good call on why Lowe referenced the five years for Smith. I think he might be trying to sign him and if he is than this summer he can put both Smith and Staios on the block and weigh their Oilers value against their league value and auction off the guy they deem tradeable.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Geez your an oiler fan man, get your **** straight. Smith is a RFA after this season. You would think that after all the other oiler fans have corrected that mistake repeatedly on this board that you would have seen it too.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
well, Smith only has 5 good years in him if they sign him to some sort of extension, so maybe that's what Lowe is partially hinting at here?

I'd be more than happy to see the Oilers keep him for the future because of just what Lowe says, he will be good for awhile yet. But Smith being good for 5 more years only helps the Oilers if it is playing for the Oilers.

I still say if EDM's defintiely out of the playoffs by the deadline Smith's value will be too much via trade for Lowe to keep him UNLESS he's signed to a reasonable 3-4 year extension. Just way too much uncertainty to not trade him, given his potential arb payday, possible UFA status, upcoming CBA,etc.

Who knows, maybe you can trade him at the deadline and get some more young potentially core pieces, let him play elsewhere for a year, and re-sign him as a UFA under potentially more favorable post-CBA circumstances?
Hey speeds - yeah I think a Smith contract would have to be worked out by the trade deadline or he's gone.

Smith will be arb eligible - and now that hits are being counted again by the league - it's not surprising that he is machine in this area again. If memory serves they stopped counting hits last year and Smith suddenly started doing a lousy Bobby Orr impression to try pump up his offensive numbers.

I like the guy but HE WILL go arb on us and get his 3 million if we keep him through the summer. Smith's value is sky-high now so this situation fits Lowe's buy low - sell high philosophy.

Smith, Salo, Laraque, Oates - all deadline fodder IMHO

Old
02-06-2004, 02:57 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds

That's exactly my thinking as well (and others, too) - keep him as a very solid d-man IF he'll sign a reasonable long-term deal, otherwise see what you can get and try to sign Ulanov to a reasonable long-term deal instead, as he provides some of the same kind of play as Smith.

But the Oilers may need to make room for Woywitka/Lynch sooner rather than later, and maybe even Greene. MAB becomes your PB guy, perhaps? It doesn't look that good for Ferguson in the next year or two, but he's survived this long, so who knows...

Bart

Old
02-06-2004, 03:06 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
It doesn't look that good for Ferguson in the next year or two, but he's survived this long, so who knows...

Bart
Ferguson has had a great run all things considered. I hope he has been stuffing some in the mattress for when reality returns. I loved Ferguson as a #7 guy when he first came up but trying to make him into a #5 has definitely shortened the shelf life. He and Staios have been seriously overplayed this year due to half a dozen factors.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Matts

Another reason to like Smith over Staios

for whatever reason, the Oilers won't overplay 21 like they will 24. Staios is a very useable part but when MacT falls in love with him and his point shot that can't hit a soccer net, then the trouble starts.

As for factoring in Greene into any plans, the guy is just a somphmore and until he comes out of college I don't even think we should consider him.

And there would be tonnes of growing pains with both Woywitka and Lynch back there. I would start with hoping Igor comes back and go with Ulanov-Brew-Semi-Smith or Staios as the top four and then Cross and one of Lynch or Woywitka as 6 and Cross as a 5. Fergy is the 7th. Of course the best case would be to keep both Smith and Staios and have those two along with Brew-Igor-Semi. Then we could dump Cross and have the best of Lynch-Woywitka or Bergeron as the 6th guy with Fergy as 7.

But I don't think the Oilers can keep all of that D corp and who then would they trade to get us a centre or goalie? Of course another way to go would be to keep all of that D and go with Reasoner as the 2nd line centre and Stoll-Horc as the 3-4 centres.

This would mean using some of Isbister, Laraque and maybe Chimera to get a goalie. Or maybe a Rita as well.

But like I said earlier, the Oilers weren't prepared to give Reasoner-Horc-Stoll a shot at top two pivot last season so I can't see next year being any different.

Closed Thread