HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unless a Bad February, Keep Status Quo

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 09:14 AM
theoilers

vCash: 500
Unless a Bad February, Keep Status Quo

Reading Terry Jones' and Jim Matheson's articles about the trade deadline a month away and how the GM"s are meeting for 2 days in Vegas, many posters will have opinions on who to keep and trade.

I'll think from a non-Oilers perspective. Many of you know how I feel about Lou Lomoureillo (best GM in the NHL). Lou says that for championship teams, you need a solid core of veterans to lead the youth. They Devils have Brodeur, Neidermayer, Scotty Stevens, Elias and Madden as vets and even Holik for 10 years before he defected. Those are all good quality vets.

THe Oilers have lost vets like Guerin, Weight, Niinimmaa, Marchant due to $$. If Bob Clarke and SLats said that teams need at least 4-5 good vets, then the OIlers have them in Ryan Smyth, Steve Staios, Ethan Moreau, Jason Smith. That counts four in my book and I would love for all them to stay but again money. With Staios and Moreau signed long term, that's a good start as Lowe knows he needs these vets to lead the team and if Jason Smith signs long term, then the defense is set for years with Smith and Staios leading the group.

Unless Feb is disastourous, keep all the vets and see what the new CBA brongs before dealing them.

Very few players have contracts past this year so the Oilers are in excellent financial shape for the new CBA.

Old
02-06-2004, 09:47 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
could be why Lowe has yet to dealt anyone as of yet and will look to do something on the outcome/consensus generated from the meeting. I think there will be a good CBA for small market teams since these teams could threaten to breakaway and form there own league, there are already too many players for NHL teams by reducing the numbers but creating a 2nd league i dont see there being problems from player availability point of view unless the NHL increases their roster numbers.

Old
02-06-2004, 12:54 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
i dont see there being problems from player availability point of view unless the NHL increases their roster numbers.
I have thought for a long time that one of the cards the league holds in the upcoming war is threatening to decrease roster numbers. 2 goalies, 10 forwards and 5 defencemen dressed with 2 forwards and one d man in the stands making up a contingent of 20. Unless, of course, the brass wanted to bring entertainment back to the game by playing with 4 skaters as a permanent option in which case you have even lower overhead. But that will never happen in my lifetime. It's too much fun to watch.

Closed Thread