HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder souray and therdore the reason we are where we are??

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2004, 02:15 AM
qwert

vCash: 500

These are the players that got us this far.... and opions

Old
02-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Who's Opions?

Old
02-05-2004, 02:30 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Who's Opions?
I think he plays in ECHL but he has promise

As for the reason for us being where we are....I prefer not to look at individiuals and focus on team play. Because IMO not one of our players has been consistently good. I think the main reasons are: our PP, our defense/goaltending, timely goals, scoring first, Julien and finally the players buying into Julien's system.

Old
02-05-2004, 03:11 AM
Mike8

I would agree with Tuggy.

But if we're looking at individual players who've been important, I would say the following have been the most important players: Theodore, Koivu, Ribeiro, Souray, Ryder, and possibly Bulis.

For most of the season, Brisebois could also be an honourable mention. He's struggled over the past few weeks and a real flaw in his game this season has been the outlet pass. This is why he doesn't get top marks from me.

Old
02-05-2004, 04:35 AM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert
they may be the high profile guys but I think Montreal's success comes from everyone chipping in and the offence coming from more sources

and Opions is an UFA at the end of this season and should be packaged with Perrault in any trades

Old
02-05-2004, 05:24 AM
Go Habs Go

Wrong, we are doing well because Donald "Superstar" Audette is no longer here!

Old
02-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Habeas Corpus

Ryder is where he is because he get's topline minutes alonside Koivu.

Old
02-05-2004, 07:22 AM
GhostOfTheForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habeas Corpus
are you serious?

Ryder works his butt off and uses his talent as best he can

he is not a floater

Old
02-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Habeas Corpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheForum
are you serious?

he is not a floater
100%. I like ryder and feel he is a good player but Koivu doesn't get enough credit for ryder's success. I didn't say he is a floater or anything derogatory about ryder in my post.

Old
02-05-2004, 08:21 AM
GhostOfTheForum

Quote:
100%. I like ryder and feel he is a good player but Koivu doesn't get enough credit for ryder's success. I didn't say he is a floater or anything derogatory about ryder in my post.
but that is why it is called a hockey team

Ryder and Koivu compliment each other

and no, I didn't say you called him a floater

Old
02-05-2004, 08:50 AM
arsobro

Quote:
Add Koivu and Julien

Old
02-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Prrebel

Quote:
ehhh, Ryder scored when he was on a line with Audette and Perrault too. Perhaps koivu is where he is because he gets topline minutes alongside Ryder.

Nah, I agree that your lines mates are allpart of the equasion. The best part is that this season the are 20 part to the equasion and the final answer is "not a bad hockey team".

Old
02-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Guy Caballero

I don't think you can ignore special teams either. The improvements are mostly Julien's doing, imo. If we're looking at individual players, the ones you've mentioned have had the biggest impact, beyond a doubt, but let's not ignore Ribeiro and Brisebois. They may not be my favourite guys on the team, but I appreciate the help they've given us this year. Without them, the players you've mentioned, and Julien's new systems, we'd be near where Pittsburgh is now.

Old
02-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Marksman

I'll nominate Bob Gainey. He kept his head cool with Theodore. Young guys Ryder and Ribeiro owe him a lot, giving them their big chance. He stood up for Brisebois and it has been paying handsomely (Btw Patrice has been playing better lately, even adding some points and leading in plusminus). Gainey has been making difficult cuts and added some character practically for free, I cant wait to see if he makes his first trade.

Old
02-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Darz

I think there are numerus reasons we are doing better this year than last, and you have to start with the GM and the coach.

Gainey's defence of Brisebois, his picking up of Begin and knowing when to say something and what to say has imo, really helped the team concentrate on the job at hand. Julien's system and insistance that the players follow it has turned a team that at times last year looked like they were playing street hockey into a tight team first unit. Also Julien should be given alot of credit in the blossoming of Ribiero and Ryder into NHL quality players.

As for the players, there is no doubt, imo, the biggest reason is Theodore. He rarely has a bad game (bad for Theo, is still better than alot of goalies good games), and he has keep up in basically every game he has played. I think alot of times the team feeds off of Theo.
Defensively, there is no doubt the biggest improvement is the addition of Souray. He might not win a Norris trophy, but this guy can play, and play well, in all situations and at any time in the game. Also credit should go to Brisebois for his reinvention of his game. Brisebois, love him or hate him, was not the type of dman that you would call steady in the past, but imo, has been our steadiest dman this year. In alot of respects, I don't think he gets the credit he deserves.
Offensively, alot of the praise has to fall on Ryder and Ribeiro. Going into the season, our top 6 forwards didn't look as promising as they do now. Ryder has really nailed down a spot and his play is exactly what our top 6 unit needed while Ribiero has solidified our second line giving us 2 scoring lines, which we really haven't had in awhile. The steady play of Zednik and Koivu has also helped in making our top 2 lines better than many in the league, which maybe wasn't the case in September. Begin, Ward, Langdon also deserve credit in our turnaround as they have really given the team a boost in many ways. Begin with his reckless 110% style, Ward as a top flight penalty killer and grinder and Langdon as our guy who will take on all comers.

Old
02-05-2004, 11:37 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
100%. I like ryder and feel he is a good player but Koivu doesn't get enough credit for ryder's success.
I think it is the other way around, Ryder isn't getting enough credit for his own success. Everyone is saying it is because of 1st line ice time and playing with Saku or because Julien got him on the team. If anything I think Saku is benefiting more because he has a winger that complements him.

Ryder got here on hard work and hard work alone and it goes all the way back to the QMJHL, ECHL, AHL and now in the NHL. Like a poster has already stated Ryder was scoring with out Saku too, and i think could play well with anyone becuase of his vision, work ethic and scoring abilities.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
Wrong, we are doing well because Donald "Superstar" Audette is no longer here!
I like this thinking.

Habs 2002/03-Audette-Traverse-Dykhuis-McKay-Czerk=Playoff Team

Old
02-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheForum
are you serious?

he is not a floater
I agree, Ryder is on the 1st line because he deserves to be. I would even venture to say that, to date, he has generated as many scoring chances as Koivu and his so called off games have not been anymore than Koivu's...Not bad for a rookie, and by the way, I still think Koivu is the leader on this team.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Begin, Ward, Langdon also deserve credit in our turnaround as they have really given the team a boost in many ways. Begin with his reckless 110% style, Ward as a top flight penalty killer and grinder and Langdon as our guy who will take on all comers.
Agreed. We are definitely grittier than we were back last year, and maybe even the year before. These guys add a good physical element, and Gainey has done a good job in finding Langdon and Begin.

I think Julien's patience and trust in Ribs and Ryder should be commended too. He seems like he has a plan for these guys, and that has helped the team out.

And of course, Jose has been great (even better right now, than he was in 01-02?). There has been a complete change in attitude. A lot of people in the media would have said there is no way this team will make the playoffs, back in September. But now, they are saying there is no way this team will miss the playoffs.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
maybe Ribeiro as a little something to say too??

Old
02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I think there are numerus reasons we are doing better this year than last, and you have to start with the GM and the coach.

Gainey's defence of Brisebois, his picking up of Begin and knowing when to say something and what to say has imo, really helped the team concentrate on the job at hand. Julien's system and insistance that the players follow it has turned a team that at times last year looked like they were playing street hockey into a tight team first unit. Also Julien should be given alot of credit in the blossoming of Ribiero and Ryder into NHL quality players.

As for the players, there is no doubt, imo, the biggest reason is Theodore. He rarely has a bad game (bad for Theo, is still better than alot of goalies good games), and he has keep up in basically every game he has played. I think alot of times the team feeds off of Theo.
Defensively, there is no doubt the biggest improvement is the addition of Souray. He might not win a Norris trophy, but this guy can play, and play well, in all situations and at any time in the game. Also credit should go to Brisebois for his reinvention of his game. Brisebois, love him or hate him, was not the type of dman that you would call steady in the past, but imo, has been our steadiest dman this year. In alot of respects, I don't think he gets the credit he deserves.
Offensively, alot of the praise has to fall on Ryder and Ribeiro. Going into the season, our top 6 forwards didn't look as promising as they do now. Ryder has really nailed down a spot and his play is exactly what our top 6 unit needed while Ribiero has solidified our second line giving us 2 scoring lines, which we really haven't had in awhile. The steady play of Zednik and Koivu has also helped in making our top 2 lines better than many in the league, which maybe wasn't the case in September. Begin, Ward, Langdon also deserve credit in our turnaround as they have really given the team a boost in many ways. Begin with his reckless 110% style, Ward as a top flight penalty killer and grinder and Langdon as our guy who will take on all comers.
I agree with you wholeheartedly because what you're really saying is that it it takes a team effort to be successful and certainly Gainey and Julien are are very important members of the "team". Defensively, we are getting the job done as a team (for the most part). Offensively, we are getting the job done as a team. But the key players who are contributing this year, and who did not even exist last year, are Ribeiro, Ryder and Souray. Without their offensive contributions this year, IMO, we would be in hard shape providing, of course, that we wouldn't have gone out to spend big bucks for high profile players.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I think it is the other way around, Ryder isn't getting enough credit for his own success. Everyone is saying it is because of 1st line ice time and playing with Saku or because Julien got him on the team. If anything I think Saku is benefiting more because he has a winger that complements him.

Ryder got here on hard work and hard work alone and it goes all the way back to the QMJHL, ECHL, AHL and now in the NHL. Like a poster has already stated Ryder was scoring with out Saku too, and i think could play well with anyone becuase of his vision, work ethic and scoring abilities.
Right on!!!!

Old
02-05-2004, 01:04 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I like this thinking.

Habs 2002/03-Audette-Traverse-Dykhuis-McKay-Czerk=Playoff Team
It's the greatest example of "Addition by Substraction" I've ever seen...

Old
02-05-2004, 02:03 PM
jonny5

Quote:
And what is your point???? Doesn't every good goal scorer have a fantastic playmaker? Do you have a problem with the success Ryder is enjoying??? Must not be a true Habs fan!!!!

Old
02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
4shelley4

hi

Someones really not seeing people have good years like Ribeiro,Koivu and brisebois,....

Closed Thread