HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lowe: "I'm going to get a power play guy!"

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

vCash: 500
Lowe: "I'm going to get a power play guy!"

link: http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040206/col_jones-sun.html

but who?

KLo also says:

"Ryan Smyth is a high-priced guy you have to keep. Do I need to trade Jason Smith for a first-round draft choice when he has four or five good years left in him? No. That said, if somebody came to us with a young power-play defenceman which we can't find ... we'd entertain some names.''

interesting.

maybe GuyF can probe him for some more dirt in his upcoming interview.

I would love to get a guy like Delmore. He was available and we didn't go after him, now he's a regular again in the Buffalo lineup.

thoughts?

edit: sorry FacelessButcher, this is kind of redundant after reading your latest thread on Spector's rumours.

Last edited by Oil_in_my_veins: 02-06-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old
02-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Slats432

The only problem with Delmore is he will take us up to 15th on the Powerplay but drop us to 20th 5 on 5.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The only problem with Delmore is he will take us up to 15th on the Powerplay but drop us to 20th 5 on 5.
then just play him on the power play or make him a forward.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Matts

And so ends the Oilers career for Marc Andre Bergeron

No big deal some might say but if he's not gonna be given a chance to show off his offensve game, ie on the PP, I doubt he'll make the club. Even though it might be better to see what he has instead of giving the Cory Cross's of the world lifetime contracts

Lowe seemed to have set the table on what he's looking for in return for Smith. Maybe Mike Van Ryn plus a pick would get it done. The Cats would still have Boumeester to run their future PP.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
No big deal some might say but if he's not gonna be given a chance to show off his offensve game, ie on the PP, I doubt he'll make the club. Even though it might be better to see what he has instead of giving the Cory Cross's of the world lifetime contracts

Lowe seemed to have set the table on what he's looking for in return for Smith. Maybe Mike Van Ryn plus a pick would get it done. The Cats would still have Boumeester to run their future PP.
I don't know if you noticed but Bergeron played for a majority of the first half of the season. Our powerplay was not any better with him out there and it has arguably improved with the switch from Bergeron to Ulanov..

Old
02-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Slats432

I am not disappointed that Bergeron isn't here. He was given a chance and his less than spectacular own zone play is why he is no longer here. We would love to have a Rafalski/Boyle type player, but the difference is the 5-on-5 and own zone play.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
maybe GuyF can probe him.
NEVER say this again.

Don't worry... I'll be asking him that one for sure.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I am not disappointed that Bergeron isn't here. He was given a chance and his less than spectacular own zone play is why he is no longer here.
I agree, last year when he was called up he looked liked someone to keep your eye on because he played with a bit of an edge.

After seeing him over a longer stretch, he just didn't seem to have the ability to hold it. Maybe his size is a difference maker for him here.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:21 PM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Gonchar?

*pinch*

Yep. I'm dreaming.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I agree, last year when he was called up he looked liked someone to keep your eye on because he played with a bit of an edge.

After seeing him over a longer stretch, he just didn't seem to have the ability to hold it. Maybe his size is a difference maker for him here.
Personally, I think the stuff between his ears is a bigger problem than his size.

His decision making holds him back more than his height and weight...at both ends of the ice.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
NEVER say this again.
Don't worry... I'll be asking him that one for sure.
sorry...Freudian slip. I just had a flashback to a "Kids in the Hall" skit.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Matts

Yes I remember him being up

and he played great at first and then had the yips at the end. But guess what? This is what happens to most guys you are breaking in and why not let him play throught it rather than waste time on Fergy and Cross. Both are good 7's and decent 6's but Bergeron is a really good puck mover and yes he's small but why not give him a longer look.

It's still about the future because in this season playing the steadier Cross or Ferguson over Bergeron wasn't gonna make a huge difference. Meanwhile if you give Bergy more time maybe he can play his way out of it.

Then again it's hard to sit Cross what with the lifetime contract they gave him. It's only three years you say? That's a lifetime when you have to watch him play :p

Old
02-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
and he played great at first and then had the yips at the end. But guess what? This is what happens to most guys you are breaking in and why not let him play throught it rather than waste time on Fergy and Cross. Both are good 7's and decent 6's but Bergeron is a really good puck mover and yes he's small but why not give him a longer look.

It's still about the future because in this season playing the steadier Cross or Ferguson over Bergeron wasn't gonna make a huge difference. Meanwhile if you give Bergy more time maybe he can play his way out of it.

Then again it's hard to sit Cross what with the lifetime contract they gave him. It's only three years you say? That's a lifetime when you have to watch him play :p
Actually I think Cross has done very well this season. Nothing too flashy but steady on defense and has put up some points very nicely. Better than I expected and providing some steadiness on the blueline.

Old
02-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Actually I think Cross has done very well this season. Nothing too flashy but steady on defense and has put up some points very nicely. Better than I expected and providing some steadiness on the blueline.

I think it's a catch-22. The Oilers badly need what Bergeron has, but with Salo playing poorly early in the season they couldn't afford Bergeron's rookie mistakes. I know everyone will jump on this, but imo that's almost exactly what happended to Michel Riesen in the fall of 2000. His problem was that there were tons of penalties called (that was the season they were calling everythin early), and MacT (as a rookie head coach) had a hard time getting the 4th (Bulldog) line on the ice.

Riesen's impressive pre-season was forgotten after a dozen games, and he and Swanson were sent packing.

As for Bergeron, he is a chaos defenseman but I don't think I've seen a young player cover better for his mistakes. It's almost like he's making the suicide pass and cheating towards the pass not being successful at the same time.

He's hockey's Lonnie Smith. Lonnie was an outfielder with Philadelpha who would fall down frequently chasing flyballs, but it was no big deal because he did it so often Lonnie knew what to do. Get up, run to the ball, and throw it to third.

As with Lonnie Smith, imo Bergeron's mistakes LOOK insane but don't cost as much as you think they do because he works his ass off to cover it off.

Clear as mud, right?

Old
02-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Asiaoil

I like Bergy as a 7 - but with so much youth on the Oiler defense (Semi and even Brew) it's hard to justify him ahead of Fergy for that role. That's not going to change any time soon with Lynch and Woywitka in line so he may just get lost in the shuffle - but he is fun chaos if nothing else.

Old
02-06-2004, 06:57 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The problem with Bergie's mistakes aren't that they end up in the Oilers net, it's that they continually result in the Oilers better offensive players being hemmed up in their own zone.

You can't score when the puck is in your end.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:25 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The problem with Bergie's mistakes aren't that they end up in the Oilers net, it's that they continually result in the Oilers better offensive players being hemmed up in their own zone.

You can't score when the puck is in your end.
Exactly. Bergeron's size has nothing to do with it. He's shot, but he sure's hell isn't small. He's stocky and strong as hell (HEY WAYS OVER 200lbs!!!!)

He will be pased by Lynch, Woywitka, Greene sooner rather then later I would think. He maybe a good 6-7 type guy some day who if used right can move the puck adequately and give the team a boost when he lays a few hits on guys a foot taller then him.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Matts

I like him as a 6

who helps the PP.

LT you must be old school to remember Smith as a Phill. I knew that's where he started because I'm an old school Spos fan but remembering Lonnie has a Phil rather than Card or Brave is rather odd, no?

It's almost like remembering Neely as a Canuck

Old
02-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Mr Sakich

the reason cross and fergie played so much this year is that it gave us the best chance to win. Lowe has a balancing act. Not only must he prepare the team for post 2004, the owners wnat to go to playoff games. The playoffs are why these guys pitched in their money.

Lowe is damned if he does....

Old
02-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
who helps the PP.

LT you must be old school to remember Smith as a Phill. I knew that's where he started because I'm an old school Spos fan but remembering Lonnie has a Phil rather than Card or Brave is rather odd, no?

It's almost like remembering Neely as a Canuck
Yeah, my brain works that way. Smith played in the 1980 World Series for the Phils, and I kind of remember teams that way. Had a pretty good career.

Expos fan, huh? Me too. When I was young, they had a Rusty Staub Kids Savings club at I think the Bank of Commerce. I was one of them. When they traded Rusty to the Mets, I hated it. But they got back Singleton, Foli and Jorgenson and that was a terrific payoff (slightly more successful than Weight for Reasoner, Hecht and Horacek).

Okay, then, let me test your Expos knowledge. In the 1981 NLCS, Jim Fanning brought Steve Rogers in from the bullpen to face the LA bats.

We all know Rick Monday hit the beJesus out of the ball to put the Dodgers up. What some have forgotten is that Rogers ALMOST gave up a homer to a previous LA batter in the same inning. This player drilled a ball to deep left that almost went out.

Who was that player?

Old
02-06-2004, 09:38 PM
LawnDemon

all i can say about this is - if delmore ends up being lowe's answer to our PP woes then he isn't asking the right question.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Matts

Pretty sure it was Steve Garvey

but now you have to understand that I'm just 28 and I can only remember televised games starting in the '82 season which was the year chronicled in "The Expos Inside Out" By Dan Turner which you should pick up.

But I know the Garvey thing because I saw the game on EClassic. The other noteworthy things about that game was The Hawk's DP grounder with the bags juiced and no one out in the 1st inning and why the heck didn't Fanning bring in Fryman to face the lefty Monday?

See, it started at an early age

BTW, Expos just signed a 20 game TV deal with RDS and are supposedly talking about a 20 game pact with an English network but that network hasn't been indentified. But it should be cleared up in a month's time.

And as for the overplaying Staios, his game is now suffereing for it because he couldn't and can't handle those minutes on a regular basis.

Last edited by Matts: 02-06-2004 at 10:16 PM. Reason: content
Old
02-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
but now you have to understand that I'm just 28 and I can only remember televised games starting in the '82 season which was the year chronicled in "The Expos Inside Out" By Dan Turner which you should pick up.

But I know the Garvey thing because I saw the game on EClassic. The other noteworthy things about that game was The Hawk's DP grounder with the bags juiced and no one out in the 1st inning and why the heck didn't Fanning bring in Fryman to face the lefty Monday?

See, it started at an early age

BTW, Expos just signed a 20 game TV deal with RDS and are supposedly talking about a 20 game pact with an English network but that network hasn't been indentified. But it should be cleared up in a month's time.

And as for the overplaying Staios, his game is now suffereing for it because he couldn't and can't handle those minutes on a regular basis.

I'm tickled your an Expos fan. I own the Dan Turner book, one of my favourite books.

Burris pitched one of the truly gritty games I've ever seen that day, but when he went to the pen Jim Fanning called for Steve Rogers even though Rogers wasn't a reliever.

Rogers retired Garvey on a pop up, then Ron Cey drilled a pitch to left that could easily have gone out. He just missed it.

Then Gary Carter called for a sinker, middle in against Monday. Monday was old as the hills and twice as dusty and wouldn't be able to get his hips out of the way if it was in the inner half of the plate.

Rogers threw it right down broadway, and that's all she wrote. Shoulda brought in Fryman.

The Hawk DP grounder was the killer, you're absolutely right. Got a starter on the ropes right off the bat, and if I recall he hit the first pitch. Carter in the circle.

Damn.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Digger12

Lowetide 'n Matts, talking about the Good Old Days.

This is like Sauron and Gandalf baking cakes together. The world is changing.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Matts

Yes

Burris didn't look like he had much but he still kept them in it. He never was a guy with a great K/BB ratio so he had to go it on guts and luck. A lot like Zach Day will have to do if he's ever to be successful.

Which I doubt he will

Word is that Fryman had a sore arm that day or at least that's how Fanning explained it. Woodie said he was out there itching. Of course Reardon was out there as well. I like to talk about how Lowe can't trade from a strenght for a weakness. Bring it to an Expos paralell and how about Ellis Valentine for Reardon?

Back to Reardon for a second and I'vealways thought that you don't bring in a long reliever unless it goes to the 12 or at least until you're stopper had gone two or three innings.

Man I would've been all over Fanning that day

As for Singleton, how long did the Expos go afterwards without a good power hitting lefthander? They traded LP for Scoop, now there's another trading from strenght to address weakness with Eli coming up to play 3B. Looking back the Expos were pretty deep weren't they?

And it would be until Walker before they found another guy with power from that side and he was only realizing it when they let him go for damn well nothing.

And if we'retalking big deals, Carter for Youmans, Winningham, Fitzgerald and Brooks. But you know that deal could've been great if Youmans didn't keep his oldMets and Fla connections with Gooden

I'm sure you know what I mean

It's cool to have a true Expos fan on board. Especially an old school one who remembers the years I"m most curious about, ie 79-81.

BTW, I'm a bigger Expos fan than Oilers fan. I knew better but I was still giddy when they swept the Phils last Aug to tie the for the WC lead. Yes I knew what would happen but I was still walking on air that evening

Last edited by Matts: 02-06-2004 at 11:41 PM. Reason: content
Closed Thread