HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Habsfan18's "Taking a look back" (March 12th, 1993)

Old
04-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Habsfan18's "Taking a look back" (March 12th, 1993)

Alright guys. Here's yet another version. I thought this issue had some pretty neat features/news. Hope you enjoy!

March 12th, 1993

- As you can see, Toronto's Doug Gilmour is on the cover. "Glory Days."

- Wayne Gretzky doesn't believe he'll play in the 1998 winter olympics. "I won't get a chance. I definately won't be around for '98. They'll have younger, faster stronger kids by then, but that's fine."

- NJ coach Herb Brooks on Claude Lemieux..."I want him out of here. He's a cancer."
Claude Lemieux's response?.."They knew that when they got me. I was born in July, which makes me a cancer. I can't deny that."

- North Stars owner on moving to Dallas from Minnesota.."But if we leave, I hope the NHL does come back. Maybe after we're gone people will respect the NHL more, maybe Minnesota needs to go through this process."

- Mike Keenen and Roger Neilson are were expected to be named coaches of team Canada at the World Championships. Keened was fired as Hawks GM..while Neilson was terminated as coach of the Rangers.

- Michael Elsner's expansion team for the NHL will be known as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. "If we're a good team I think it'll be a great name. If we're a very bad team it'll be a bad name."

- Bill Torrey (president) & Bob Clarke (GM) to kickstart new Miami franchise. Clarke gives up his position as senior vice-president for the Flyers.

- Staff write Michael Ulmer wonders why Toronto can't have two NHL teams.

- Ottawa Senators thrilled to get point number 22. That mark meets a pre-season goal in which the team wanted at least one more point than the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, the worst team of all time.

- Blues defenseman Jeff Brown raises some eyebrows after being chosen among the NHL's sexiest players by a hockey magazine. Teammate Brendan Shanahan was also chosen.

- Constant back pain for Tampa Bay rookie Roman Hamrlik has team/fans concerned.

- Maple Leaf Darryl Shannon gets his nose broken in an apparent "mugging" in San Fransisco. He was allegedly set up by 3 men while in a drunken state.

- To add much needed offensive help, the Hawks acquire holdout Joe Murphy from Edmonton for Igor Kravchuk and 1991 draft pick Dean McAmmond.

- Hockey Night in Canada play-by-play legend Danny Gallivan passes away.

- The Quebec Nordiques have lacked a true leader since Dale Hunter was dealt back in 1987. They've found their new man..Mike Ricci.

- Hartford Whalers D Zarley Zalapski blames fatigue for his poor play, and not his contract dispute.

- Bruins Cam Neely returns after 13 months with a leg injury. He scores in his first 2 games back. GM Harry Sinden: "He's to us like Mario Lemiuex is to Pittsburgh."

- Montreal's Brian Bellows 4 goal game Feb 27th was the first one by a Hab since 1988. The victory also clinched a playoff birth for the Canadiens who are 1st overall with a 40-16-6 record.

- Things fall into place for the Red Wings as they add Paul Coffey. The team hopes he's the final missing piece to the puzzle.

- Ref Don Koharski remembers his battle with booze. He's been clean since September 13th, 1990.

- Winnipeg's super-rookie Teemu Selanne sets course for Mike Bossy's mark for goalscoring by a rookie.

- Canucks Pavel Bure has 50th goal taken away from him moments after it happened. It turns out Jets D Phil Housley scored 13 seconds earlier.

- Ed Courtenay leaving big impression in SJ.

- Blues Craig Janney, once a puck hog, has become a passing genius thanks to a talk from his father.

- After being scratched for 18 straight games, NYI's David Volek returns. Volek was absolutely horrible his last game..missing a breakaway attempt, his man beat him into the defensive zone to score, and his blind back pass off the boards in his own end was intercepted and turned into the winning goal.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:06 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Claude Lemieux is a cancer.

04-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Lionheart

The two-teams-in-Toronto debate is not altogether new, it seems

Eisner couldn't have been more right about the name. Less mighty, but they have rings.

Awesome as always, habby. I try to comment on all of these because they're just so damn fun to read

That Jeff Brown thing is quite interesting in hindsight.. >_>

Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Awesome as always, habby. I try to comment on all of these because they're just so damn fun to read
Thanks.

I love going through the old issues. Some great quotes/reports/rumors.

The fact the Sens are happy with 22 points made me laugh

Old
04-04-2008, 08:21 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Thanks.

I love going through the old issues. Some great quotes/reports/rumors.

The fact the Sens are happy with 22 points made me laugh
those 22 points, when did they come? At the end of the season? Because if that's the case. Wow. They were terrible.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
those 22 points, when did they come? At the end of the season? Because if that's the case. Wow. They were terrible.
since the issue is the 12th of March, that would have been in late February.

Old
04-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19271993.html

They finished with 24.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 09:37 PM
FromChaos22

thanks for doing these. im only 20 so its cool to see news about players that are now veterans as young prospects or players. thanks!

FromChaos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 09:51 PM
0V3CHKiN

Quote:
- North Stars owner on moving to Dallas from Minnesota.."But if we leave, I hope the NHL does come back. Maybe after we're gone people will respect the NHL more, maybe Minnesota needs to go through this process."
Hmmm...

0V3CHKiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Chimp

Quote:
- Ref Don Koharski remembers his battle with booze. He's been clean since September 13th, 1990.
That could explain some things. Have there possibly been any serious follow-ups in this matter?
Quote:
- Michael Elsner's expansion team for the NHL will be known as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. "If we're a good team I think it'll be a great name. If we're a very bad team it'll be a bad name."
Well, here's the thing... a bad name is a bad name. Period. Disney starting a hockey team just means quacking trouble.

The best thing is when Disney sold the team just before they became Cup runners though. Or perhaps they became that because Disney sold them? Which came first, the duck or the egg?

Last edited by Chimp: 04-04-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 10:40 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
- NJ coach Herb Brooks on Claude Lemieux..."I want him out of here. He's a cancer."
Claude Lemieux's response?.."They knew that when they got me. I was born in July, which makes me a cancer. I can't deny that."
-That is a great response by Lemieux. Was there a worse coach in Devils history than Herb Brooks?

-No wonder Koharski fell down in NJ in '88 it wasn't because of excessive donut eating it was because he was drunk.

BTW thanks again for posting these. I love these look backs.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Disgruntled

Quote:
And he goes on to win the Conn Smythe 2 years later.

Quote:
- Ottawa Senators thrilled to get point number 22. That mark meets a pre-season goal in which the team wanted at least one more point than the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, the worst team of all time.
Awesome

Disgruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
- Montreal's Brian Bellows 4 goal game Feb 27th was the first one by a Hab since 1988. The victory also clinched a playoff birth for the Canadiens who are 1st overall with a 40-16-6 record.
Who exactly was the Habs' opponent for that game?

Also, was it at the Forum or on the road?

And who had the four-goal game in 1988? I'll guess Richer.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:29 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Alright guys. Here's yet another version. I thought this issue had some pretty neat features/news. Hope you enjoy!

March 12th, 1993

- As you can see, Toronto's Doug Gilmour is on the cover. "Glory Days."

- Wayne Gretzky doesn't believe he'll play in the 1998 winter olympics. "I won't get a chance. I definately won't be around for '98. They'll have younger, faster stronger kids by then, but that's fine."

- Mike Keenen and Roger Neilson are were expected to be named coaches of team Canada at the World Championships. Keened was fired as Hawks GM..while Neilson was terminated as coach of the Rangers.

- Bill Torrey (president) & Bob Clarke (GM) to kickstart new Miami franchise. Clarke gives up his position as senior vice-president for the Flyers.

- Staff write Michael Ulmer wonders why Toronto can't have two NHL teams.

- Blues defenseman Jeff Brown raises some eyebrows after being chosen among the NHL's sexiest players by a hockey magazine. Teammate Brendan Shanahan was also chosen.

- Constant back pain for Tampa Bay rookie Roman Hamrlik has team/fans concerned.

- Maple Leaf Darryl Shannon gets his nose broken in an apparent "mugging" in San Fransisco. He was allegedly set up by 3 men while in a drunken state.

- To add much needed offensive help, the Hawks acquire holdout Joe Murphy from Edmonton for Igor Kravchuk and 1991 draft pick Dean McAmmond.

- Hockey Night in Canada play-by-play legend Danny Gallivan passes away.

- The Quebec Nordiques have lacked a true leader since Dale Hunter was dealt back in 1987. They've found their new man..Mike Ricci.

- Hartford Whalers D Zarley Zalapski blames fatigue for his poor play, and not his contract dispute.

- Bruins Cam Neely returns after 13 months with a leg injury. He scores in his first 2 games back. GM Harry Sinden: "He's to us like Mario Lemiuex is to Pittsburgh."

- Things fall into place for the Red Wings as they add Paul Coffey. The team hopes he's the final missing piece to the puzzle.

- Winnipeg's super-rookie Teemu Selanne sets course for Mike Bossy's mark for goalscoring by a rookie.

- Canucks Pavel Bure has 50th goal taken away from him moments after it happened. It turns out Jets D Phil Housley scored 13 seconds earlier.

- Ed Courtenay leaving big impression in SJ.

- Blues Craig Janney, once a puck hog, has become a passing genius thanks to a talk from his father.

- After being scratched for 18 straight games, NYI's David Volek returns. Volek was absolutely horrible his last game..missing a breakaway attempt, his man beat him into the defensive zone to score, and his blind back pass off the boards in his own end was intercepted and turned into the winning goal.

**** David Volek.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:30 PM
usernam

Nice. Thanks Habsfan18

Claude Lemieux's response was gold.

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2008, 01:56 PM
nik jr

Quote:
many still think the '93 habs were a weak team.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote