HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mike Milbury's bad deals

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Owen Wilson

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Mike Milbury's bad deals

Does anyone where I can get a listing of his bad deals and know when they all happened?

Bertuzzi, McCabe, 3rd rounder(Ruutu) for Linden

Spezza, Chara, Muckalt for Yashin

Luongo, Jokinen for Parrish and ?

Old
02-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Kvasha I believe.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:18 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Kvasha I believe.
Correct.

How about trading Berard for Potvin?

Old
02-06-2004, 01:20 PM
neelynugs

i love this thread
you can say the palffy deal, although that was mostly money motivated

Old
02-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Owen Wilson

When the Isles traded for Yashin, did they sign him right away to an extension? I don't remember.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:31 PM

You can decide if they were good or bad, here are a number of the deals Mad Mike has made per TSN.ca:

13-Mar-96: New York Islanders traded Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty, Kenny Jonsson and 1st round selection (Roberto Luongo) in 1997.

25-Aug-97: New York Islanders traded Dan Lacouture to the Edmonton Oilers for Mariusz Czerkawski.

20-Mar-99: New York Islanders traded Tommy Salo to the Edmonton Oilers for Mats Lindgren and 8th round selection (Radek Martinek) in 1999.

19-Jun-99: New York Islanders traded Zigmund Palffy, Bryan Smolinski, Marcel Cousineau and 4th round selection (previously acquired from the New Jersey Devils - Daniel Johansson) in 1999 to the Los Angeles Kings for Olli Jokinen, Josh Green, Mathieu Biron and 1st round selection (Taylor Pyatt) in 1999.

19-Dec-99: New York Islanders traded Felix Potvin, a 2nd round selection (later traded to New Jersey - Teemu Laine) in 2000 and a 3rd round selection (Thatcher Bell) in 2000 to the Vancouver Canucks for Kevin Weekes, Bill Muckalt and Dave Scatchard.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Eric Brewer, Josh Green and 2nd round selection (Brad Winchester) in 2000 to the Edmonton Oilers for Roman Hamrlik.
24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Kevin Weekes, the rights of Kristian Kudroc and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Phoenix - Matthew Spiller) in 2001 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 1st round selection (Raffi Torres) in 2000, 4th round selection (previously acquired - Vladimir Gorbunov) in 2000 and 7th round selection (previously acquired - Ryan Caldwell) in 2000.

03-Jan-01: Los Angeles Kings traded Jason Blake to the New York Islanders for a 5th round selection (Joel Andresen) in 2002.

22-Jun-01: New York Islanders traded Mathieu Biron and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Washington, later traded to Vancouver - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Adrian Aucoin and Alexander Kharitonov.

23-Jun-01: Ottawa Senators traded Alexei Yashin to the New York Islanders for Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt and 1st round selection (Jason Spezza) in 2001.

24-Jun-01: Buffalo Sabres traded Michael Peca to the New York Islanders for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt.

22-Jun-02: New York Islanders traded Mariusz Czerkawski to the Montreal Canadiens for Arron Asham and a 5th round selection (Markus Pahlsson) in 2002.

11-Mar-03: New York Islanders traded Chris Osgood and a 3rd round selection in 2003 to the St. Louis Blues for Justin Papineau and a 2nd round selection in 2003.

11-Mar-03: Edmonton Oilers traded Janne Niinimaa and a 2nd round selection in 2003 to the New York Islanders for Brad Isbister and Raffi Torres.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Owen Wilson

I'm just wondering cause i'm arguing with someone on another board about Milbury's bad deals and he's saying they were all money related. Now I don't remember exactly how it happened but how can the Luongo/Jokinen for Parrish/Kvasha be about money?

I told him that deal really hurt the franchise cause by trading Luongo they had to draft Dipietro and pass on Heatley. They could have Spezza, Luongo, Chara and Heatley right now

Old
02-06-2004, 01:54 PM
monster_bertuzzi

McCabe/Bertuzzi for Linden is priceless.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Does anyone where I can get a listing of his bad deals and know when they all happened?

Bertuzzi, McCabe, 3rd rounder(Ruutu) for Linden

Spezza, Chara, Muckalt for Yashin

LOL all of those deals are amazingly bad. The top one is a complete joke.

Old
02-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
You can decide if they were good or bad, here are a number of the deals Mad Mike has made per TSN.ca:

One opinion:

13-Mar-96: New York Islanders traded Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty, Kenny Jonsson and 1st round selection (Roberto Luongo) in 1997.

Solid deal, obviously.

25-Aug-97: New York Islanders traded Dan Lacouture to the Edmonton Oilers for Mariusz Czerkawski.

Good deal

20-Mar-99: New York Islanders traded Tommy Salo to the Edmonton Oilers for Mats Lindgren and 8th round selection (Radek Martinek) in 1999.

At the time, the deal made sense. Isles had Luongo and Lindgren looked promising, coming off of a solid playoff series with the Oilers in '97/'98. Injuries ruined his career, however.

19-Jun-99: New York Islanders traded Zigmund Palffy, Bryan Smolinski, Marcel Cousineau and 4th round selection (previously acquired from the New Jersey Devils - Daniel Johansson) in 1999 to the Los Angeles Kings for Olli Jokinen, Josh Green, Mathieu Biron and 1st round selection (Taylor Pyatt) in 1999.

Salary dump. Team was operating on a $16M payroll at the time.

19-Dec-99: New York Islanders traded Felix Potvin, a 2nd round selection (later traded to New Jersey - Teemu Laine) in 2000 and a 3rd round selection (Thatcher Bell) in 2000 to the Vancouver Canucks for Kevin Weekes, Bill Muckalt and Dave Scatchard.

Solid trade

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha.

Wretched deal. Bizarre logic for even making the trade.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Eric Brewer, Josh Green and 2nd round selection (Brad Winchester) in 2000 to the Edmonton Oilers for Roman Hamrlik.

A deal that was criticized at the time, but one that neither team would take back. Isles certainly wouldn't.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Kevin Weekes, the rights of Kristian Kudroc and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Phoenix - Matthew Spiller) in 2001 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 1st round selection (Raffi Torres) in 2000, 4th round selection (previously acquired - Vladimir Gorbunov) in 2000 and 7th round selection (previously acquired - Ryan Caldwell) in 2000.

Related to the Luongo deal. Milbury's worst day as GM.

03-Jan-01: Los Angeles Kings traded Jason Blake to the New York Islanders for a 5th round selection (Joel Andresen) in 2002.

Steal, though Blake was admittedly a fringe player at the time.

22-Jun-01: New York Islanders traded Mathieu Biron and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Washington, later traded to Vancouver - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Adrian Aucoin and Alexander Kharitonov.

Steal

23-Jun-01: Ottawa Senators traded Alexei Yashin to the New York Islanders for Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt and 1st round selection (Jason Spezza) in 2001.

No Yashin, and this team is going on it's tenth straight season without making the playoffs. That said, the contract they gave him was the worst management decision in Milbury's entire tenure on L.I., and will hurt this team for years. A superb deal for Ottawa.

24-Jun-01: Buffalo Sabres traded Michael Peca to the New York Islanders for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt.

Similar to the Yashin deal. Gave NYI credibility. Spezza and Connelly as your #1 and #2 centers would look very promising...for around the 2006 season. The Isles couldn't afford to wait.

22-Jun-02: New York Islanders traded Mariusz Czerkawski to the Montreal Canadiens for Arron Asham and a 5th round selection (Markus Pahlsson) in 2002.

Nice, secondary deal. Asham is a very servicable 3rd line forward.

11-Mar-03: New York Islanders traded Chris Osgood and a 3rd round selection in 2003 to the St. Louis Blues for Justin Papineau and a 2nd round selection in 2003.

Time will tell.

11-Mar-03: Edmonton Oilers traded Janne Niinimaa and a 2nd round selection in 2003 to the New York Islanders for Brad Isbister and Raffi Torres.

To date, Janne has been a disappointment. And Torres is developing into a solid NHLer. Still time for Janne to find his game, and if he does, the deal makes sense, regardless of Torres' career. Isbister is a big body. End of his story.

This list left out the trade that, along with the Luongo debacle, ranks as the worst of Milbury's, and one of the most lopsided in league history - Bertuzzi, McCabe/Linden.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-06-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old
02-06-2004, 02:24 PM
CREW99AW

I was in shock when they announced the Luongo deal.I kept thinking ..and what else is FL sending to LI .:

and Trots I think you forgot getting Hunter for a 4th rounder.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:33 PM
9DiGiT-CODE

Linden for McCabe and Bertuzzi...

WOW!

That is the worst trade I have ever heard of... I never knew the full deatils until now...

Man Milbury is a lousy GM...

Old
02-06-2004, 03:54 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9DiGiT-CODE

WOW!

That is the worst trade I have ever heard of... I never knew the full deatils until now...

I think the Luongo trade is worse.

Bertuzzi was not gonna develop on LI with all the pressure on him.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:57 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
A lot of GMs make bad trades, yes the Luongo trade is pitiful but BLEECH!

Old
02-06-2004, 04:24 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
I guess the Islanders owners really really really...<insert a few dozen more "really"s in here>...like Milbury. That or they're on drugs. Then again, it could be both. No other explanation why he's still GM honestly.

Old
02-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
I guess the Islanders owners really really really...<insert a few dozen more "really"s in here>...like Milbury. That or they're on drugs. Then again, it could be both. No other explanation why he's still GM honestly.
:p

Truthfully, he benefitted from working under cheap (and erratic) ownership(s) through the 90s. Their objective was strictly monetary; the on-ice product meant little/nothing to them. Expectations (in terms of competitiveness) were low, if that.

As such, Milbury executed his job well. Not from a fan's standpoint, of course.

He got a reprieve when Wang purchased the franchsie, a very fortunate and uncommon break. Typically, ownership will clean house and hire their own people. Wang didn't.

He has done a respectable job in the three years since....Ironically, that job consists of trying to clean up the mess he created in the years prior.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:

WOW!

That's not even the full story....they also sent a 3rd-round pick to Vancouver which turned out to be Jarkko Ruutu.

So (bear in mind this just for fun, I realize hindsight is 20/20)
1998 - Islanders give up Ruutu, Bertuzzi, McCabe for Linden.
1999 - Just over a year later on they trade Linden to Montreal for a 1st-round pick, with which they draft Branislav Mezei.
2002 - Mezei is traded to Florida after playing 24 games for the islanders, for Jason Wiemer.
2003 - Wiemer is waived and claimed by Minnesota.

So, 6 years later the Isles have nothing to show for the trade, while the 3 guys they traded are all regular NHLers, and 2 are arguably among the top players in the league.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
That's not even the full story....they also sent a 3rd-round pick to Vancouver which turned out to be Jarkko Ruutu.

So (bear in mind this just for fun, I realize hindsight is 20/20)
1998 - Islanders give up Ruutu, Bertuzzi, McCabe for Linden.
1999 - Just over a year later on they trade Linden to Montreal for a 1st-round pick, with which they draft Branislav Mezei.
2002 - Mezei is traded to Florida after playing 24 games for the islanders, for Jason Wiemer.
2003 - Wiemer is waived and claimed by Minnesota.

So, 6 years later the Isles have nothing to show for the trade, while the 3 guys they traded are all regular NHLers, and 2 are arguably among the top players in the league.

The Bertuzzi, McCabe deal was bad no question and would have still been bad if Linden remained an Islander, but at the time of the deal the Isles old owners said they would have no problem paying Linden, but when then the salary dump came, which made the deal look even worse

The Jonsson deal was a good deal. The Peca deal was a good deal. The Blake & Aucoin deals were absoultley STEALS.

One deal not included is for one of this years Calder front runners

23-May-00: Mighty Ducks of Anaheim traded Trent Hunter to the New York Islanders for a 4th round selection (previouly acquired - Jonas Ronnqvist) in 2000.

Old
02-07-2004, 11:54 AM
slyc

What team would you prefer? Team 1 or team 2?

(team 1) Virtual team (without stupidís trades)

Roberto Luongo
Tommy Salo

Mathieu Schneider
Eric Brewer
Bryan McCabe
Bryan Berard

Jason Spezza
O. Jokinen
Tim Connelly

Todd Bertuzzi
Zigmund Palffy
Taylor Pyatt
Raffi Torres
Brad Isbister
Bryan Smolinski

+

TRENT HUNTER
CLIFF RONNING
RADEK MARTINEK
SVEN BUTENSCHON
MATTIAS WEINHANDL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(team 2) OR That actual team
GARTH SNOW
RICK DIPIETRO

ADRIAN AUCOIN
ROMAN HAMRLIK
RADEK MARTINEK
KENNY JONSSON
JANNE NIINIMAA
ERIC CAIRNS

ALEXEI YASHIN
SHAWN BATES
MICHAEL PECA
CLIFF RONNING
JUSTIN PAPINEAU

OLEG KVASHA
TRENT HUNTER
MATTIAS WEINHANDL
MARIUSZ CZERKAWSKI
ARRON ASHAM
JASON BLAKE
DAVE SCATCHARD

Old
02-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Trottier's Post "One opinion (my opinions in italics):

Wretched deal. Bizarre logic for even making the trade.

I remember his reasoning. He was stating that it was important to find offensive pieces to our offensively challenged team so he traded THE #1 goalie prospect in the NHL plus a the only + forward on the team for a Russian enigma and a garbage (though talented from the slot) 25 goal scorer. Ridiculous logic. What burns me still is that Kvasha was the key to the deal.

A deal that was criticized at the time, but one that neither team would take back. Isles certainly wouldn't.

No kidding. While MM tried desperately to ruin Brewers career he didn't. But the Isles basically won this one for the first four years, though Edmonton could eventually have a perennial all-star on their hands.

Related to the Luongo deal. Milbury's worst day as GM.

Totally agree

No Yashin, and this team is going on it's tenth straight season without making the playoffs.

Which is why I loved the deal at the time.

That said, the contract they gave him was the worst management decision in Milbury's entire tenure on L.I., and will hurt this team for years. A superb deal for Ottawa.

Worst...contract...ever

Similar to the Yashin deal. Gave NYI credibility. Spezza and Connelly as your #1 and #2 centers would look very promising...for around the 2006 season. The Isles couldn't afford to wait.

Hated the inclusion of Pyatt in this trade. Would've rather included Isbuster. Pyatt will become a good 30-30-100pim player. He's still a baby, but you can see the mean streak developing.

Time will tell.

True, though I don't see Papineau as a fixture on LI. I think it was Collition we got as the 2nd rounder, who seems to be a developing good prospect.

To date, Janne has been a disappointment. And Torres is developing into a solid NHLer. Still time for Janne to find his game, and if he does, the deal makes sense, regardless of Torres' career. Isbister is a big body. End of his story.

True, very very true

This list left out the trade that, along with the Luongo debacle, ranks as the worst of Milbury's, and one of the most lopsided in league history - Bertuzzi, McCabe/Linden."

Awful, awful, A W F U L

Old
02-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyc
What team would you prefer? Team 1 or team 2?

(team 1) Virtual team (without stupidís trades)

Roberto Luongo
Tommy Salo

Mathieu Schneider
Eric Brewer
Bryan McCabe
Bryan Berard

Jason Spezza
O. Jokinen
Tim Connelly

Todd Bertuzzi
Zigmund Palffy
Taylor Pyatt
Raffi Torres
Brad Isbister
Bryan Smolinski

+

TRENT HUNTER
CLIFF RONNING
RADEK MARTINEK
SVEN BUTENSCHON
MATTIAS WEINHANDL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(team 2) OR That actual team
GARTH SNOW
RICK DIPIETRO

ADRIAN AUCOIN
ROMAN HAMRLIK
RADEK MARTINEK
KENNY JONSSON
JANNE NIINIMAA
ERIC CAIRNS

ALEXEI YASHIN
SHAWN BATES
MICHAEL PECA
CLIFF RONNING
JUSTIN PAPINEAU

OLEG KVASHA
TRENT HUNTER
MATTIAS WEINHANDL
MARIUSZ CZERKAWSKI
ARRON ASHAM
JASON BLAKE
DAVE SCATCHARD
I'll take the actual team!...because if it is the other team it wouldn't be in LI anymore!

Old
02-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Habsaku

You forgot to put Dany Heatley in your virtual team.

Old
02-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Mick Vukota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
I'll take the actual team!...because if it is the other team it wouldn't be in LI anymore!
Exactly! While on paper the Yashin deal will probably look really bad in the long run (if it doesn't already) along with some other trades, it simply had to be made. As Trottier said, the Isles simply could not afford to continue losing after 7 straight non-playoff seasons or this team could be in Portland right now.

I'm not a big fan of analyzing trades because it's not about how many trades you won or lost, but about the current team that's together on the ice. Sather probably has "won" most of his trades as a Rags GM (due to financial reasons), but I dont think many people will say he's done a good job as their GM so far.

I'm not the biggest MM fan, in fact I remember screaming "Mike Must Go!", but I was willing to give him another chance once the new ownership came in. With a stable ownership and a decent payroll he's done ok. He's no Bill Torrey, but he's no Don Maloney either.

Old
02-07-2004, 03:32 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:

WOW!

Everyone in Vancouver mourned that day too. Keenan traded all the fan favourites away. But we got him back. So in the end I believe the trade worked out to be:

Canucks got: Bertuzzi, A Sedin, Ruutu, while keeping Linden.
Canucks gave: Boyd Gordon.
(The Canucks traded McCabe for a pick that was a Sedin.) I think that's how it worked.

Old
02-07-2004, 03:44 PM
xtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Everyone in Vancouver mourned that day too. Keenan traded all the fan favourites away. But we got him back. So in the end I believe the trade worked out to be:

Canucks got: Bertuzzi, A Sedin, Ruutu, while keeping Linden.
Canucks gave: Boyd Gordon.
(The Canucks traded McCabe for a pick that was a Sedin.) I think that's how it worked.

I belived it ended up being something like

Mikhail Yaubkov(the first thatwas with McCabe for the 2 or 3rd ov pick) and Boyd Gordon
for
Bertuzzi + Henrik + Ruutu

Don't know about most people but i would do that trade over and over

Closed Thread